Layn

Adult dragons can "guard" eggs and hatchies

Just for grins, I decided to make a scary fog image that could maybe be used to replace the normal egg or hatchling sprite when the guarding feature activates. user posted image

Oh look Darkheart!!!

*headdesk*

I love the idea for this to replace the fog when the Shield is on.

lol... the scary fog needs a little bit more work before it would be ready to be used, biggrin.gif but I'm glad you like it.... tongue.gif

Are malicious killings REALLY all that much of a problem? Really? How many people ACTUALLY go around and post random dragons on super-high-traffic sites out of sheer spite?

Personally, while this idea is very nifty and would give an entertaining new aspect to adult dragons, I don't really think there's a need for it. If you're honestly THAT worried about your babies, fog them when you get them for the first four days, then stick them in ERs and watch them like hawks to create the smallest possible window of opportunity for a malicious person to spam your egg in. The problem just doesn't seem to be pervasive enough to justify the coding time, and there's already a way to avoid the issue as it is. Until one in ten users start reporting that their eggs are being maliciously posted, I don't think we need this feature.

(I do like the scary fog though- it amuses me greatly)

Well, I'm looking at it this way: golds are already a pita to get ahold of in the first place. I still remember the SIX FLIPPING MONTHS it took to get mine. To finally get your hands on one, only to have some villanous jerk kill it is just.....I'd be ready to tear someone's head off, were it to happen to me.

Yes, I could see this being a problem for rares. No, we wouldn't hear 'one in ten dragon users' having this problem, because seriously, how many of us are STILL looking for them doggone rares?

However, we've had quite a few coding changes since this was suggested, so I don't really see 'malicious views' as being the big problem they were just a few months ago.

Yes? No? Maybe? Taco? tongue.gif

I don't think the coding changes made as much a difference. The only difference now is the "This user is accepting help" and the "Do not post the codes if they aren't yours" alerts, which would really not discourage someone set on killing an egg.

I was under the impression he had changed some code to keep hatchlings from dying from refreshing.

I know that from long before I suggested this, the View:Unique view ratio caps at 15 views for every unique, so even if someone decides to start refreshing, the hatchling won't get tons of views. But that does very little good if someone posts a brand new egg on a high traffic site that gets 100 new unique views every minute. TJ blocked some sites like that, but there are still more out there. No refreshing killing does no good if the egg is on a site that gets tons of unique views per minute. Or if just the direct link is posted, and people are killing it with clicks

Edited by Layn

Me personally I think that if you don't have accepting help checked and someone posts your eggs or hatchlings anyway their scroll should be locked for some decent amount of time(say a day for example) . Maybe losing control of their own scroll for a time would deter them from screwing around with someone else's when they do not wish help.

For those of you telling everyone to fog our eggs... the thing is we should not have to.

I do not, and I never will support punishment for posting others' dragons. Most of the time, it is a well-intentioned attempt to hatch an emergency egg that is about to die. And I will not see people punished for trying to help others.

Don't quite see why people are making such a big deal out of we should not have to use fog. How much effort does it take to use fog anyways? Enough effort to merit the insistence upon not using it? And if you don't want the slight inconvenience of using fog, why do you wish the huge inconvenience of punishment upon others? (If I don't want the inconvenience of breathing smoke, do I punish others for driving cars?)

I guess, the thing that bothers me most about this should not have to use fog argument is the feeling of entitlement that it gives off. It's like saying, "I am entitled to have the fullest convenience when I play. It takes more effort to fog something, and I am entitled to spend the least effort necessary." Honestly, it's not so hard to fog something. So why fight about it? For the principle of it? Is this principle really worth the anguish of a well-meaning player when they find they are punished because they saved an emergency egg?

I maintain that people posting others' eggs is not a real problem. How many people here have actually been bothered by it? If a significant portion of the player base has an issue with it, then it might well merit some form of coding or protection. But if it is only a very few isolated instances, then I don't think it's really a problem.

Edit: Someone's bound to get angry at me and accuse me of saying that a few don't matter. I'm not saying that a few don't matter. Just to clarify. I'm saying that one shouldn't inconvenience a majority for a trivial convenience of a very few. There are many who dislike the unsightly line of warning text. A phrase such as "against the site rules" just exudes negativity. It really does! "Against the rules" is just not a pleasant thing to say, and it gives off that authority-figure-with-a-club vibe whenever I see it. There are many more who would be greatly disheartened to attempt a good deed and meet with punishment.

Edit2: Don't think a poll is needed just yet, but if it comes to that, might be a good idea to poll and see what percentage of players has personally had a bad experience with others posting their eggs.

Edited by wobster109

Don't quite see why people are making such a big deal out of we should not have to use fog.

Because, forcing us to fog, is forcing us to play the game a different way than we want to, it is punishing us for playing differently. Some of us don't use fansites so we have to leave the eggs unfogged so that they can get enough views from the forums we use.

That is why some of us make a big deal out of it. Other people posting our eggs without our permission is forcing us to fog, & play differently than we want to. It makes it more difficult than it should be for us to get the correct ratio of views to raise our dragons. It makes it impossible for us to do experiments with the ratios on the dragons.

Honestly, it's not so hard to fog something. So why fight about it?  For the principle of it?

For the same reason we don't force a breeding limit on the players, people should be able to play the way they want to without interference from others, unless they ask for that help & interference. We can't put a limit on the number of dragons bred to stop the mass breeders, because that is the way they choose to play. This entire game is about being able to do what you want to the dragons on your own scroll, not on other people's scrolls.

Is this principle really worth the anguish of a well-meaning player when they find they are punished because they saved an emergency egg?

But there are plenty of times it isn't emergency eggs that are being posted. Eggs that still have 6-7 days left are posted without permission, I have seen it happen repeatedly to the same person even after they have reported it happening. That is not a case of a 'well-meaning player', that is a player trying to cause trouble for someone.

I maintain that people posting others' eggs is not a real problem. How many people here have actually been bothered by it?

It happens more often than you think, most people probably just don't bother mentioning it on the forums here. I have had it happen to myself, & I will repeat, I have seen it happen repeatedly to the same person even after they have reported it happening.

Just to clarify. I'm saying that one shouldn't inconvenience a majority for a trivial convenience of a very few. There are many who dislike the unsightly line of warning text.

If people had kept their hands off of other peoples scrolls that line wouldn't be there, & there are probably just as many people who are bothered & inconvenienced by other people messing with their eggs without permission.

A phrase such as "against the site rules" just exudes negativity. It really does!

It is just as negative, if not more so to check your scroll & find that someone has made your dragons sick, or ruined your trade or experiment by posting your dragons without your permission. And quite often they post the dragons somewhere on some fansite you don't visit, so then you are force to spend lots of time looking up fansites, trying to find your dragons, then trying to figure out how to remove them from those same fansites, & often you don't know how that fansite is set up to work! That to me & probably others, that[/i] is a negative experience.

Not to mention, since the dragon is on fansites you might not know about, or don't know how to use, you don't know how to remove that dragon from that fansite, so it causes more unneeded work for the people on that site to remove it & it is probably negative for them to see people not obeying rules about removing dragons when they don't need to be on that site anymore.

If you take all of that into account those people who post dragons without permission are causing more negative problems, than the people who are trying to stop them from doing it.

How much effort does it take to use fog anyways? Enough effort to merit the insistence upon not using it? ....

I guess, the thing that bothers me most about this should not have to use fog argument is the feeling of entitlement that it gives off. It's like saying, "I am entitled to have the fullest convenience when I play. It takes more effort to fog something, and I am entitled to spend the least effort necessary."

It's not the effort of fogging that is the problem, it all the other effort we are forced to make because someone posted our dragons without our knowledge & permission. Forced to correct the ratios to make them healthy again, forced to balance the ratios so that they grow up before they run out of time, forced to find where they have been posted without permission, forced to figure out how to remove them from where they were posted without permission, or if you don't find where they were posted without permission, someone else it forced to take the time & effort to remove the dragon when they are grown or dead from sickness, time that person could be using to give views to other dragons that actually need the views. Who knows how many problems are caused on those fansites by dragons that are not removed because their owners don't know about them being on that site, & how much time & effort are spent on trying to fix those fansite problems.

As you see, there is a lot of effort that has to be made in order fix the problems caused by people posting dragons without permission. That is why some of us make a big deal out of it when our dragons are posted without our knowledge & permission.

Edited by Ahkalia

I actually believed the adults could protect younglings when I first played. I rearranged my scroll so that my eggs and hatchies would be surrounded in protective types (healer, shield, black, magi etc) to protect them from the vampies when they first came out lol

Well, while I do recognize that malicious posting of eggs can be (and is) a problem, I don't really agree with this solution.

Its a neat idea -I'll give you that - and rather entertaining. But to be completely frank - if your egg gets killed by a malicious poster well... no empathy here. This is a game. Games aren't fair. If this were a video game, its kinda like having a villain (nameless and faceless, sure) who thwarts your efforts.

I'll admit it - part of my attitude is probably from the fact that this hasn't happened to me. But I'm fairly certain that even if it did... yes, I'd be mad/disappointed. But hey, its just another obstacle to overcome through the gameplay already available.

Of course, I'm not saying that people should be allowed too, or should at all, try and harm/kill others' dragons, I'm just basically saying 'suck it up. Too bad.'

So, sorry, but I don't really agree with this. It would take some of the chance out of the views the egg/hatchie gets, and when did anyone say this was supposed to be easy? Or completely controlled? It isn't a one-player RPG.

the problem is that, when your egg starts gaining views clicks and unique views like crazy after you've logged for the night, you have no defense. You COULD fog it for the night, but the egg also needs the views it would normally gain from the forum you posted them on. This solution is intended to only rule out malicious KILLINGS from intentionally posting newly laid/hatched eggs/hatchlings on high traffic sites that generate thousands of views in a short time. Malicious killings are pretty annoying, the biggest indicator of one is you logging on in the morning to find your newly acquired rare egg dead with thousands of clicks and your three mints sitting there healthy. In a game where malicious killings target those who just obtained rares... I don't think it's that fair that people should be able to kill your dragons when you are actually skilled at keeping them alive. Eggs should only die because the person holding them forgot about them, not because of some third party's influence. This is a game to raise dragons. Not to have other people kill your dragons.

wobster, you say you don't support this because it's punishing people for helping raise eggs. it isn't. It's PREVENTING people from KILLING eggs due to either over helpfulness or just plain maliciousness. And the logic of "I have the right to kill this dragon because I didn't get it" or "I have a right to kill this dragon because I own its parents" is very twisted indeed.

Edited by Layn

I like this idea! It will act as an preventive measure. Its hard for me to get a rare egg with hours of trying and i dont want something like death to happen for the egg sad.gif

I do not, and I never will support punishment for posting others' dragons. Most of the time, it is a well-intentioned attempt to hatch an emergency egg that is about to die. And I will not see people punished for trying to help others.

Don't quite see why people are making such a big deal out of we should not have to use fog. How much effort does it take to use fog anyways? Enough effort to merit the insistence upon not using it? And if you don't want the slight inconvenience of using fog, why do you wish the huge inconvenience of punishment upon others? (If I don't want the inconvenience of breathing smoke, do I punish others for driving cars?)

I guess, the thing that bothers me most about this should not have to use fog argument is the feeling of entitlement that it gives off. It's like saying, "I am entitled to have the fullest convenience when I play. It takes more effort to fog something, and I am entitled to spend the least effort necessary." Honestly, it's not so hard to fog something. So why fight about it? For the principle of it? Is this principle really worth the anguish of a well-meaning player when they find they are punished because they saved an emergency egg?

I maintain that people posting others' eggs is not a real problem. How many people here have actually been bothered by it? If a significant portion of the player base has an issue with it, then it might well merit some form of coding or protection. But if it is only a very few isolated instances, then I don't think it's really a problem.

Edit: Someone's bound to get angry at me and accuse me of saying that a few don't matter. I'm not saying that a few don't matter. Just to clarify. I'm saying that one shouldn't inconvenience a majority for a trivial convenience of a very few. There are many who dislike the unsightly line of warning text. A phrase such as "against the site rules" just exudes negativity. It really does! "Against the rules" is just not a pleasant thing to say, and it gives off that authority-figure-with-a-club vibe whenever I see it. There are many more who would be greatly disheartened to attempt a good deed and meet with punishment.

Edit2: Don't think a poll is needed just yet, but if it comes to that, might be a good idea to poll and see what percentage of players has personally had a bad experience with others posting their eggs.

Thank you- I agree fully. I honestly do not believe that this is as big of a problem as everyone is making it out to be. Fog works. It takes two seconds- four, if you have a slow computer/connection. Fog 'em before you go to bed, unfog 'em when you get back, and watch YOUR OWN EGGS.

Thank you- I agree fully. I honestly do not believe that this is as big of a problem as everyone is making it out to be. Fog works. It takes two seconds- four, if you have a slow computer/connection. Fog 'em before you go to bed, unfog 'em when you get back, and watch YOUR OWN EGGS.

You know I can just as easily say POST YOUR OWN EGGS. it is just as effective as you and your "it only takes 2 seconds to fog your eggs." What tripe. I should not have to fog my eggs and I refuse to if I don't have to. People need to post their own eggs and leave mine alone. How hard a concept is that to understand?

And before one of you goes and twists my words and asks how hard it is to understand that I can just fog my eggs I say that I should not HAVE to just to TRY to play this game as I wish.

I managed to pick up a few silver eggs the other day and where I post I can only fit three codes in my sig so 3 of my eggs were gaining views nicely and the last had 1 or 2 views. I look the next day when the egg has 6 days left and someone has already taken it into their head that I need help raising my eggs and they posted it to soti and dcfs! I removed them when I found them and went on with what I was doing thinking screw it I wont say anything this time because everyone pitched a ***** about it last time. I wake up this morning and ... you guessed it they posted it AGAIN. So I had to remove it AGAIN.

COME ON the egg had 6 days left it was nowhere near being an "er" egg and didn't need "help".

You know I can just as easily say POST YOUR OWN EGGS. it is just as effective as you and your "it only takes 2 seconds to fog your eggs." What tripe. I should not have to fog my eggs and I refuse to if I don't have to. People need to post their own eggs and leave mine alone. How hard a concept is that to understand?

You will note that in no place did anyone say that posting someone's egg without their permission was a good thing. I happen to agree.

Although there is a huge debate about whether this is appropriate or not, I must say...

Chicken (this one's based off Zelda though): "You reach for the egg, but a chicken runs out from a nearby cave and begins to make a horrible racket. In moments you find yourself surrounded by angry chickens, and decided to retreat. You flee for your life as the chickens give chase, stopping only once you have dived into a nearby lake."

I approve of this one so much.

Just a side comment, but the solution to Malandar's experience might be to have fansites require passwords? Maybe passwords for the add scroll options, but not for emergency dragons. That way, no dragon would die of overexposure on the first day, but people can still post emergency dragons for people who are accepting help?

Although I suspect that if you "refuse to" fog your dragons, few will empathize with you if they die.

Edited by wobster109

you would be surprised at the number of angry people with pitchforks when an egg is intentionally killed. Why should people who never have to use fog, because they just don't post their eggs on fansites, have to fog eggs? My scroll is not on any fansites. It isn't anywhere where the new eggs on it might get automatically added to a site that generates clicks. Why should I, and others like me, whos eggs gain maybe ten unique views a day on the siites we post them, have to fog our eggs, tthus maybe denying them the clicks they need to hatch? Just saying "Use this fansite" isn't an answer

I think this is a great idea.

However, I think once the volume of traffic reaches a ridiculous point, eggs should just auto-hide. It doesn't matter how many adults you have, they just auto-hide. I don't know what that number would be, but I think besides that, your idea is great.

This isn't to not make any eggs die, it's supposed to be an automatic thing that protects eggs from getting killed intentionally.

heey, I like this idea! I got ideas for the newer dragons, too.

Balloon: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, when you find yourself feeling lightweight and almost floating from the ground. You look up to see a bloated dragon glaring down at you. You decide to leave.

Daydream: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, but your minds begins to fog and you forget what you were doing. You catch a glimpse of a light blue dragon floating on a cloud. Dazed and confused, you go back the way you came.

Dorsal: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, but a large purple/red fin blocks your way. You then notice a large dragon growling at you. You leave immediately.

Sunrise: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, but you are suddenly blinded by the sunrise. You then hear a growl, and you turn the other way. (only works during sunrise time)

Sunset: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, but then sunset turns into total darkness. A growl emits from deeper in the cave. You stumble quickly back out. (only works during sunset time)

Stripe: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, but a striped wing blocks your path. Looking up, you see a Striped dragon growling at you. Deciding not to anger it more, you decide to leave.

Whiptail: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, but something brown darts in front of you, accompanied by a long tail, which whips you back to the entrance. You try to enter again, only being whipped back again. You decide it's not worth it and leave.

I have some for the older ones too:

Mint: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, but something trips you. Trying to see what tripped you, a small Mint dragon runs to the egg/hatchling and whisks it away.

Vampire: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, and notice a dead dragon next to it. Shrugging, you reach out, only to see the dragon's eyes open and bare its long fangs at you. Not wanting to risk it, you run away.

Pink/Purple: You attempt to approach the egg/hatchling, but you notice a feminine dragon is curled around it, looking at it in a loving way. Not wanting to disturb, you leave.