626lavaheart

ANSWERED:No Raffles

neo no one can quite tell. people are odd things to predict and move in strange ways a lot. However I feel it would not be the best way to deal with it. :C sorry man. *hugs neo*

The scarcity of the lineages isn't the main issue in this topic... but I guess my opinion on how to fix the problem would be to remove raffles, make them breed at little bit better (although I've noticed that they like a lot of the breeds on DC fluctuate in rarity we are probably just in a bad ratio time), and make them VERY rarely drop in cave. making there a steady supply. Since they're dropping in cave and so rare. It is extremely unlikely that the ones who catch them would be new users making the rares go to people who have been here for a long time and who will stay here for a long time.

The Problem with the wealth distribution would however be the biggest issue SO their description should be changed to something very common (like speckle throats... or maybe TJ could be sneaky and release something really common with a metallic sounding name preferably an "ugly" one lol) Therefore masking them from people who are hardwired to click on things with a gold egg description. A problem that could pop up of course is that someone starts a thread like the apocalypse threads in the trade area were everyone just clicks for those eggs with the new description and artificially bringing up the rarity of them so that they drop less often in the cave.

I feel with that combo it would make it impossible to farm for them and they would drop rarely enough that it wouldn't make them too unrare too quickly.... but of course I'm not an all knowing person there's probably flaws in that plan.

:/ I said this one before... but meh It probably wouldn't fly with you and mysftt considering it would involve releasing in cave.

not many are really working with the idea to try and come up with a way it could work lol. I myself find it fun to try and work out solutions with these sorts of problems and limitations.

but someone also mentioned an idea of setting up a system of a weekly raffle. were like one prize dragon was raffled off per week I think... which would deaden people's drama sensors after awhile and they wouldn't mind so much that they didn't win. which is a viable solution in my mind.

I guess if you want me to come up with another off the top of my head...

make prizes into a common breed making low gens much easier to get (through maybe multiclutch and/or breeding). remove raffles... and let them spam our AP... If the CB prize population gets low. then do a raffle to make up for it.

Although I have a feeling you or mysftt would not be ok with that idea since when breeds get spammy like that people start getting angry and rude about the breeds. ^^;

edit: aw fail :c I wish I wasn't such a slow typer

but ya I feel like we have a great dragon distribution system already without raffles.

Edited by 626lavaheart

Can anyone suggest an objectively fairer prize dragon distribution method than a raffle?

Back on page 2 I tossed in a bit about Limited Editions but it got no comments at all. (though there has been support for it in the background)

I was about to put the idea up as a suggestion but was beaten to it by this thread lol

...and one at a time is plenty!

aw sorry about that. I missed car's comment too. The thread was just moving too fast for me I guess

however I feel like most of those dragons in backlog are not things that people want to be limited one time only things. I for one would like all my dragons I create to be common so I can see them all the time and watch people make lineages with them.

we could make a whole new section spriting contest for it like holidays... but that'd be pretty stressful on spriters.

Edited by 626lavaheart

There's a very good chance at getting on TJ's list and it's year round.

Not if you live in gods abandoned place like finland with crappy timezones... xd.png

Not if you live in gods abandoned place like finland with crappy timezones... xd.png

Or anywhere with slowish internet; it fills that fast sad.gif

Not me. I personally think the best way to hand the current problem is two-fold:

- Increase CB and 2nd gen Prize breeding rates, so the 2nd gens and 3rd gens spread further, faster. They will always be slow than the higher gens, but right now its pretty glacial.

- Keep the same prize breeds for a few more years, to boost the current population. There really aren't that many CBs, and we loose a few more every year as people come and go from the game. So... If we don't want them pulling a dodo on us.... The CB numbers need to keep increasing. Part of the problem with the prizes is that there are three colors of each sprite, and people use them as if they were different breeds (I view them as different breeds). If there was only one color Prize for each breed, then the 2nd gens would have spread a lot further, a lot faster.

As for the rest.... I'm thinking on the idea you have, of some sort of in-cave games that can earn prizes that are less. I think its a good idea, if implemented properly.

Cheers!

C4.

I feel like your first idea is a very very very interesting idea. I like it a lot lol. It could also probably be somewhat codeable too I would think... or at least in my experience with coding languages. I'm not particularly good at PHP though. which is what sites like dragon cave use mostly.

not so sure about the 2nd idea mostly because it's so hard to tell exactly when to stop you know? A thread like this would likely still meet the same amount of resistance in a few years from now.

I feel like your first idea is a very very very interesting idea. I like it a lot lol. It could also probably be somewhat codeable too I would think... or at least in my experience with coding languages. I'm not particularly good at PHP though. which is what sites like dragon cave use mostly.

not so sure about the 2nd idea mostly because it's so hard to tell exactly when to stop you know? A thread like this would likely still meet the same amount of resistance in a few years from now.

There's a suggestion already for my first one, in truth. Well, sorta. And yes, it is hard to know when to stop. But... Even just another two years with the existing prizes would probably make them a lot more obtainable. And give us a better idea of the attrition rate, among CB owners (the first tinsels).

Cheers!

C4.

:U I'm used to people critiquing my ideas back lol. I'd be awesome if someone could.

I think I'll add all the ideas to the OP. even though no one's going to read it.

... but someone also mentioned an idea of setting up a system of a weekly raffle. were like one prize dragon was raffled off per week I think... ...

THAT would help, if there were more - 1 Gold, 2 Silver, 3 Bronze of each variety - raffled off weekly, as well as the larger annual raffle.

If it could be made not too time-consuming for TJ, everyone who'd been onsite that week could be auto-registered, or perhaps have some sort of a check-in point on the top of people's scrolls.

Those would add small but steady increases into the breeding pool, and offer at least some slight alleviation to the feeling many have of being never able to obtain low-gens in order to make lineages they want or to breed nice gifts or trades - it would at least add some degree of hope to the situation, even though this would take a very long time indeed to make any significant degree of actual difference.

But again, we come back to the breeding rates, because if the Prizes continue to have such lousy self-reproduction rates, there will continue to be very few eggs produced for listers, and very few of even those relative few players able to offer enough to get low-gens can get on such slow-moving lists to begin with.

With such a weekly raffle and increased breeding rates, it should also become possible to continue to add new sprites in every few years, as there would no longer be a single, annual, virtually impossible chance with very few eggs produced in a high demand situation, but also a smaller, weekly (if still virtually impossible) chance added in, with more eggs being produced by progressively more Prizes, (even if at an extremely slow rate of increase relative to demand,) so that the feeling of exclusion wouldn't bite as deeply among so many - and there would also then be an additional reason for people to keep in regular touch with DC, rather than wandering away on extended hiatus, or altogether.

But I do strongly feel that stopping the raffles would merely worsen a bad situation, for reasons already listed by others.

hehe it wouldn't be really a raffle though then. tongue.gif just a lotto.

but ya I didn't think of the "people not wandering away" idea. good thinking!

what's funny is if one dragon was raffled off each week. then it'd be less than the amount of prize dragons given away at the current x-mas raffle.

with a one per week we'd give out about 57 prize dragons. with the last raffle 120 prize dragons were given out. xd.png but it would feels like more since it'd be on such a daily basis.

So we really could up to 2 tinsels. and HM prizes on holidays....

BUT, lol that sort of convo fits better on the more raffles thread xd.png I'm horrible at keeping to the topic.

angelicdragonpuppy it'd be more like summoning. except it's summoning that you don't have to remember to do (that's what took me forever to summon my GoNs... I would forget to summon....)

I do feel like summoning isn't as drama filled as the current raffle. however that is my opinion. I will not try pretend that I know what it feels like to not summon a GoN... since I was lucky and have 2 already.

Edited by 626lavaheart

I do feel like summoning isn't as drama filled as the current raffle. however that is my opinion. I will not try pretend that I know what it feels like to not summon a GoN... since I was lucky and have 2 already.

Summoning ISN'T as drama filled because anyone CAN try as long as they have a trio. AND GoNs, being unbreedable, don't carry this "OMG I HAVE TO HAVE 2nd gens from every single one" thing about them.

It took me three years to get my first - but at least I could try on my own without having to hope someone else didn't get them first. There is a thread where people grouch about not having them yet - I was there creating banners for ages - but it is much friendlier as we were all in the same boat.

hehe it wouldn't be really a raffle though then. tongue.gif just a lotto.

I really thought that this thread might be a serious discussion about ways to drop the raffle - but it appears I was mistaken.

I shall wander back out of here and go play *DragonCAVE*

angelicdragonpuppy it'd be more like summoning. except it's summoning that you don't have to remember to do (that's what took me forever to summon my GoNs... I would forget to summon....)

And summoning drives people nuts, not because it's particularly hard (you just click a few links every two weeks), but because failing again and again and again is frustrating. Losing every week would be much more frustrating to me than just losing once or twice a year. I can shrug off the disappointment in a day or two, but I'm still glad it's not something that happens constantly.

You are right, though, that as much as some people want to kick the summoning process in the face, it's not as dramatic as the raffles. But that's not because they get more frequent chances, it's because as Sock said, there's no trade incentive to win, everyone has an equal chance of succeeding in time, and you don't have to worry that someone else getting one will decrease your chances of getting one.

With all that considered, I'd much rather have just one or two big raffles instead of many very tiny ones.

(Also man this feels like a discussion that should be happening in the "more raffles" thread--all these raffle suggestions are blurring together for me X___x)

Summoning is not hard. You'll almost certainly get one within a few years.

Summoning is not hard. You'll almost certainly get one within a few years.

Also, just start collecting trios. You could, in theory add 3-4 sets easily in two weeks. If having a GoN is so important you complain that constantly, just do something that increases your chances.

I think that the reason why people no longer complain as visibly about GoNs, is the fact that we now realise we overrated the tasks impossibility when confronted with a new and visible impossibility -- the raffle.

Edited by DarkEternity

Since the topic came up on another thread and SockPuppet Strangler reminded us that separate suggestions should be on separate threads, I'm bumping this.

Well done you !

I wish raffles had never been invented. But now that they have, I think people would be even MORE annoyed to see them go. Those who feel they have a RIGHT to a CB prize dragon will be screaming that it's not FAIR that some people had that chance and now no-one ever will again, especially not THEM PERSONALLY waaaaah.

Around here, this is Sad but True. sad.gif

[insert: idea of weekly raffles]

THAT would help, if there were more - 1 Gold, 2 Silver, 3 Bronze of each variety - raffled off weekly, as well as the larger annual raffle.

If it could be made not too time-consuming for TJ, everyone who'd been onsite that week could be auto-registered, or perhaps have some sort of a check-in point on the top of people's scrolls.

Those would add small but steady increases into the breeding pool, and offer at least some slight alleviation to the feeling many have of being never able to obtain low-gens in order to make lineages they want or to breed nice gifts or trades - it would at least add some degree of hope to the situation, even though this would take a very long time indeed to make any significant degree of actual difference.

Well, weekly raffles instead of one big one wouldn't be any better than summoning, only happening a little more often. And we all know how well that works. (Fuzz? Did you manage to summon your 2nd by now?)

Well, weekly raffles instead of one big one wouldn't be any better than summoning, only happening a little more often. And we all know how well that works. (Fuzz? Did you manage to summon your 2nd by now?)

YES - I got all three in the end. With LOADS of trios. But the first WAS almost three years; the second 6 months later and the third took another year. I think Sir Barton is still without one, though ?

NO NO NO to weekly raffles. Just NO. Never mind the drama - there are so many other things to do.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with prize dragons, or the winners' prices. The issues in DC's economy following their release are user-created. The largest issue here is that people expect to get the new prizes instantly, but can't or aren't willing to pay the prices winners ask for. Rather than wait for prices to fall, people either pay ridiculous prices or complain about not being able to get them. If people understood that the prizes can't be special if everyone has a CB and/or second gen, and that they need to be patient with getting new ones, then they would be much happier and prizes would be better liked.

No support for this suggestion. If anything, it makes me think, "This is why we can't have nice things."

Total world population: 7.143 billion. Or.... 7,143,000,000

Odds of getting hit by lighting: 1 in 300,000.

Total number of people who have ever lived: estimated as 107 billion, or 107,000,000,000

Average lifespan of a human: somewhere between 60 and 80 years

With that many people in the world, the odds aren't bad for there to be some people who are hit multiple times. Actually they are quite good that somewhere in history, someone will get hit multiple times. And given how rare said event is, it of course would be well remembered. People don't remember things that happen all the time. But something that has never happened before does tend to get remembered.

As for the other thread, some people are asking for that reason, but for the most part what I've been seeing is people trying to find some way, anyway, to help with the problem, and they just came up with a less than optimal solution. That doesn't mean that everyone who wants it is "entitled" or "greedy". Only that they see a problem and want to fix it, but have come up with a less than optimum way to do it. History is replete with "solutions" which were put into place with the best of intentions and instead made the situation worst. So don't assume that there is a less-than-savory motive involved. Hanlon's Razor says: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." The US government has done many such things. They've also done many things because of malice. Such is life. They should post that saying on the wall!

Which.... is how I see this thread. They are trying, with the best of intentions, to fix the problem... but would in the end make it worst.

Cheers!

C4.

ironically I have been hit by lightning 3 times lol but I know that's not the point of this thread I just found the lightning thing amusing considering my personal experiences.

I own 4 2nd gen prizes and that's due to nice people being kind enough to trade with me. I am against the idea of no raffles because I don't feel its right to take away an opportunity that people actually want. Now, to the best of my knowledge the drama is started by of small group of people who feel entitled to act this way for one reason or another. So, since the drama is the actions of the minority I don't feel that the majority of users should be punished for it.

I tend to agree that making the statement that people are choosing to feel entitled or greedy just because they want a CB prize or HM is a wrong assessment of the whole situation. we are a large community of people here, each and every person is individual. So with every person not being a robot there is going to be disagreement as to how the game should be run and played. I for one think raffles should continue and I also think they are a fair system just as it is currently.

I really thought that this thread might be a serious discussion about ways to drop the raffle - but it appears I was mistaken.

I shall wander back out of here and go play *DragonCAVE*

THANK YOU

I am against this idea, but that is all I'm saying and shall follow my commenter's quote and actually go and play

I love the raffles, despite never being and probably will never win one. Nor be lucky enough to have a 2nd gen but I and my 3rd gens are quite happy with the raffles.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with prize dragons, or the winners' prices. The issues in DC's economy following their release are user-created. The largest issue here is that people expect to get the new prizes instantly, but can't or aren't willing to pay the prices winners ask for. Rather than wait for prices to fall, people either pay ridiculous prices or complain about not being able to get them. If people understood that the prizes can't be special if everyone has a CB and/or second gen, and that they need to be patient with getting new ones, then they would be much happier and prizes would be better liked.

No support for this suggestion. If anything, it makes me think, "This is why we can't have nice things."

This.

I do not want to see the raffles go, and when I get sick of the drama, I go to other parts of the forum. Eliminating the raffles would just serve to establish that there's yet another dragon (two, actually) you'll never even have a chance at getting a CB of. And why can't we just be happy for the people who are lucky enough to win, anyway? Just because *I* haven't been lucky doesn't mean I have to take away the chance at winning from everyone else.