626lavaheart

ANSWERED:No Raffles

This thread is being closed because raffles have been re-introduced in the cave. After we see how the new system is, if someone would like to suggest this or something similar, they may start a new thread.

:l it has come to my attention that everyone is overly obsessed with the raffles.

So I'm suggesting that we stop doing raffles since there's plenty of prize dragons out there to breed now, and focus more on...

-Not making TJ regret doing raffles/give him a break between valentines day and x-mas

-releasing dragons from the completed list.

-holiday minigames/stories/fun

- (attempt to) stop the Prize obsession

- (attempt to) stop whining

- teach people what a "raffle" is and what it's about

I seriously think that people would be happier without the raffles, because it seems that everyone gets extremely disappointed when the hope of winning a raffle is crushed. Even when the odds of them winning the raffle were minute to begin with.

*braces for angry mob*

ideas on how this could be implemented:

I personally think the best way to hand the current problem is two-fold:

- Increase CB and 2nd gen Prize breeding rates, so the 2nd gens and 3rd gens spread further, faster. They will always be slow than the higher gens, but right now its pretty glacial.

- Keep the same prize breeds for a few more years, to boost the current population. There really aren't that many CBs, and we loose a few more every year as people come and go from the game. So... If we don't want them pulling a dodo on us.... The CB numbers need to keep increasing. Part of the problem with the prizes is that there are three colors of each sprite, and people use them as if they were different breeds (I view them as different breeds). If there was only one color Prize for each breed, then the 2nd gens would have spread a lot further, a lot faster.

As for the rest.... I'm thinking on the idea you have, of some sort of in-cave games that can earn prizes that are less. I think its a good idea, if implemented properly.

Cheers!

C4.

my opinion on how to fix the problem would be to remove raffles, make prizes breed at little bit better (although I've noticed that they like a lot of the breeds on DC fluctuate in rarity we are probably just in a bad ratio time), and make them VERY rarely drop in cave. making there a steady supply. Since they're dropping in cave and so rare. It is extremely unlikely that the ones who catch them would be new users making the rares go to people who have been here for a long time and who will stay here for a long time.

The Problem with the wealth distribution would however be the biggest issue SO their description should be changed to something very common (like speckle throats... or maybe TJ could be sneaky and release something really common with a metallic sounding name preferably an "ugly" one lol) Therefore masking them from people who are hardwired to click on things with a gold egg description. A problem that could pop up of course is that someone starts a thread like the apocalypse threads in the trade area were everyone just clicks for those eggs with the new description and artificially bringing up the rarity of them so that they drop less often in the cave.

I feel with that combo it would make it impossible to farm for them and they would drop rarely enough that it wouldn't make them too unrare too quickly....

make prizes into a common breed making low gens much easier to get (through maybe multiclutch and/or breeding). remove raffles... and let them spam our AP... If the CB prize population gets low. then do a raffle to make up for it.

However with this idea I feel that another breed should be released that is rarer than CB golds. so that there's still a "thrill" to DC for people who find obtaining CB golds and the like easy. U__U that is however my own opinion.

If your idea was not listed. then it's because it didn't include the eventual removal of the raffle system (which is the topic of this thread) or I missed it. just repost it saying I missed it if you want me to add it.

---

also I made some badges halfway through here they are:

user posted imageuser posted image

I'm ok with people using them. they were pretty easy to make. The prize dragon eggs are on their sides so that they aren't too tall.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I don't support this. I like the prize dragons, and although I think the distribution of them is flawed (would rather see us go back to a contest-model like the first year), I think that the raffles and the prize dragons add a lot to the game and have revitalized the trading market which was fairly dull before the prizes came along.

There are so many solutions out there... but this one... is pretty ridiculous.

So many people hope to win the raffle someday. Those who complain,well, that's their problem. I, for one, have my hopes high every year. I've never won, and I always like to think that I've got a chance next time.

I'd be extremely disappointed if raffles were completely discontinued.

The contest system is more flawed than the raffle system imo. turns it into a popularity contest.

lol sarah. I keep telling you just go to dragonlotto channel. you'll fulfill your want to win stuff easily there, as well as lose plenty of times. tongue.gif

edit: aah yes hope is like that isn't it? Such a cruel thing hope is.

Edited by 626lavaheart

I think I'm one of the few that support this, as I have previously expressed here. However I don't believe it will ever happen because of the sure opposition from the community. tongue.gif

ah yes what you said in that post is probably one of the main things that pushed me to make this thread.

(the other being to make a thread just as ridiculous as all the other suggestions on the raffle if not less. And to point out that people are being extremely ridiculous with their crazed demand for more out of raffles. )

Really the aggregation between "rich" and "poor" in DC is not as bad as it is in RL, mostly because of all the wonderfully nice people in DC. But the prizes change people man, just like lottos change people in RL.

Edited by 626lavaheart

And what happens when the current prizeowners go inactive? I believe one of the reasons tinsels were included this time was because of how few of the original owners were active at all.

The contest system is more flawed than the raffle system imo. turns it into a popularity contest.

Yes indeed. No more voting ones, please. Not least because even if they can be made uncheatable, there is still the fact that you have to have a specific talent, and that makes it less fair than random.

I wouldn't care if there were never another raffle, but I can live with them as they are - and would like to see threads saying make it different so I can get 2nd gens BANNED xd.png

Do NOT support. At ALL.

As users go inactive, this would mean that prizes slowly become rarer and rarer and therefore harder for the average user to get. We need raffles to keep the supply fresh and to replace 'lost' prizes.

I understand that the raffle has negativity to it, but this would make the situation that it creates worse.

Edited by aangs-sister

I think it's like trying to shut the barn door after the horses have escaped.

All it accomplishes is to make the existing prize dragons and their progeny even more valuable. Trade values for the offspring would go off the charts.

Was wondering is the complete opposite might be worth considering? Instead of a once or twice a year raffle, have a small weekly drawing for all members that are active? (members that have used some action on their scrolls) Hope springs eternal and all that...if you can look forward to a chance of winning next week, losing this week doesn't sting as much? Just a thought.

The prize dragons themselves aren't going to disappear. they've been productive enough in making babies that their breed will never die out. sure they'll become rarer but it's no different than from other breeding pet games were there's things that are limited even more. We should be thankful TJ isn't like them *cough*dragonvale*cough*flightrising*cough*so many more*cough*

Plus I doubt by the time all the CB prize owners leave dc that dc will look anything like it does now. There will be more interesting thing, different breeds, new rares.... Plus I am pretty confident that some of the CB prize will never leave until they die. Mostly because being famous is an addicting thing no matter were your famous at. People are unlikely to leave a place were they have so much power that people grovel at their feet.

edit: also I don't mind the prize dragons that exist there should always be things that are uber rare on sites it's *healthy* for economies to have things that not everyone can get. I just don't want there to be so much continuous drama over and over and over again. (looking at the raffle threads in the news and suggestion section is like listening to a broken record, and tbh it's getting really old.)

Edited by 626lavaheart

All it accomplishes is to make the existing prize dragons and their progeny even more valuable. Trade values for the offspring would go off the charts.

Completely agree with you. The only time I have ever been able to get on 2nd gen lists was immediately after new owners were announced, those who hadn't yet gone inactive or gotten overwhelmed with long lists or grown bored of anything but prize swaps. Removing raffles now will only make low gens all that much more precious and hard to obtain.

Was wondering is the complete opposite might be worth considering? Instead of a once or twice a year raffle, have a small weekly drawing for all members that are active? (members that have used some action on their scrolls) Hope springs eternal and all that...if you can look forward to a chance of winning next week, losing this week doesn't sting as much? Just a thought.

This. Prizes are here to stay, and unless new blood is added regularly.... The CBs will eventually vanish.

Cheers!

C4.

but why does it matter if the CB leave? If the Prizes are going to always be here? We're not all going to get a CB prize. no matter what. But we can easily collect a female and male as well as all the hatchies,. AND we'll still have nice lineages that people will continue.

We're not going to loose anything really.

*Raises eyebrow off face* do those of you supporting this really think making 2nd gens even scarcer would bring peace and harmony to the cave? Personally I envision a lot more screaming, not less.

but why does it matter if the CB leave? If the Prizes are going to always be here? We're not all going to get a CB prize. no matter what. But we can easily collect a female and male as well as all the hatchies,. AND we'll still have nice lineages that people will continue.

We're not going to loose anything really.

"Nice" only for those who like stairsteps or deadlines. I like neither.

C4.

Don't approve, I see it as fun and like the fact I get a chance to win one. Prefer the all participate equally over the judging contest since that didn't work out really.

My own opinion - it is the community expectation that offsets this and perhaps needs readjusting. Me? Yes, I was disappointed not winning but it was fun to participate. I had fun congratulating the winners and seeing the new codes and prizes.

The fun lessened with the nastiness that ensured and some even threatening to leave the game altogether, I understand disappoint but it is never going to be a sure win for you..

Jokingly adds: Add a disclaimer to tick if you can't handle the disappointment (I am joking here).

The prize dragons themselves aren't going to disappear. they've been productive enough in making babies that their breed will never die out. sure they'll become rarer but it's no different than from other breeding pet games were there's things that are limited even more. We should be thankful TJ isn't like them *cough*dragonvale*cough*flightrising*cough*so many more*cough*

Plus I doubt by the time all the CB prize owners leave dc that dc will look anything like it does now. There will be more interesting thing, different breeds, new rares.... Plus I am pretty confident that some of the CB prize will never leave until they die. Mostly because being famous is an addicting thing no matter were your famous at. People are unlikely to leave a place were they have so much power that people grovel at their feet.

edit: also I don't mind the prize dragons that exist there should always be things that are uber rare on sites it's *healthy* for economies to have things that not everyone can get. I just don't want there to be so much continuous drama over and over and over again. (looking at the raffle threads in the news and suggestion section is like listening to a broken record, and tbh it's getting really old.)

There were a few hundred CB hollies around before 2010 and they still threatened to pull a Dodo on us (at least for low gens). And here we have less prizes combined than that.

The only way that I see this to be feasible is to retire the breeds at the same time of retiring the raffles (ie. prizes no longer breed true, just like what the frills are right now). That still leaves the problem of making low gen prizekins' value skyrocket, but it is still a lot less destructive than just stopping the raffles and doing nothing about the prizes themselves.

Or instead of retiring the prizes, repurpose them in some way that other players are able to obtain them to prevent the low gens from going extinct. This however has a severe side effect of making the prizes no longer special in any significant way and thus I don't really like it.

Oh, and you have my full-on support other than that.

Edited by CNR4806

I do agree with you C4 I hate stairsteps with a passion. But seriously everyone It wouldn't spell the end of 2nd gens. You'll just need to try harder to get them.

ya lilacamy931 I'm hoping I can also at least wake people up a bit with this thread. Too many people think they're special snowflakes and are going to beat the odds and win. People should come to reality imo and realize that the odds are not in their favor nor will they ever be.

(I am sad I have to give up a shot at a tailored codes for my lineage. but oh well)

edit: Well I feel like the hollies did not pull a dodo in any way. and are a bad example since they've been limited to 2 for years. people had them. and they were breeding them. and people got them

Sure not all were pretty but people got them none of the less.

also I think the holly population has quite recovered now with the limit released and so many being given away during raffles.

Edited by 626lavaheart