diaveborn

New Sprite General/Miscellaneous Discussion

I'll vote C, E, W

I think the background color being the same as the egg's color is best for making it easy to figure out which is dropping. Some of the others are a lot prettier, but obscure the important information.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Alright, I know we're trying to pare down choices and this is doing the exact opposite...

But just like people liking having an egg one that matches the lunar cycler, I rather like this lunar cycler: user posted image and wouldn't mind a fire gem one to match. Maybe with the fire gem adult color of the egg dropping on a black background. In place the moons, there could be a moving clock? Or the list of times for that color (ex. blue would list 12, 3, 6, 9) - which is my fave? Or a strip of the egg? Then we could have one egg cycler and one adult cycler?

Sorry. >.< I might be totally outvoted here, though, anyway. I see the lunar egg cycler a lot more in user's siggies.

OKAY! It is after 8 PM Dragon Cave Time, so THE POLL IS OVER!

Final Results are:

• First Choice
    • W - II IIIII

C - IIIII

B - I

F/O-I IIIII

E - IIIII IIIII

Second Choice
  • W - IIIII

C - IIIII IIIII IIIII

B - II

F/O-I

E - III

Third Choice
  • W - IIII

C - III

B - II IIIII

F/O-IIII

E - IIIII

Looks like the first choice winner is E for EGGS.

The second choice winner by a lanslide is C for Crystal Background.

And third choice winner is B for Blank Color Background.

And for funsies, ALL THE VOTES:

• W - I IIIII IIIII IIIII

C - III IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII

B - IIIII IIIII

F/O-I IIIII IIIII

E - III IIIII IIIII IIIII

- Looks like White Background suffered from the ranked tally...

Anyway, this should mean that the Egg cycler comes back (albeit with a little clock on the side so we know it's a cycler and not a random image) and Crystal Background becomes the second timer.

Though,

Alright, I know we're trying to pare down choices and this is doing the exact opposite...

But just like people liking having an egg one that matches the lunar cycler, I rather like this lunar cycler: user posted image and wouldn't mind a fire gem one to match. Maybe with the fire gem adult color of the egg dropping on a black background. In place the moons, there could be a moving clock? Or the list of times for that color (ex. blue would list 12, 3, 6, 9) - which is my fave? Or a strip of the egg? Then we could have one egg cycler and one adult cycler?

Sorry. >.< I might be totally outvoted here, though, anyway. I see the lunar egg cycler a lot more in user's siggies.

This is an option

Though that means there would be only the Egg Cycler. And then an Adult Cycler (which has to be made. Pinkgothic made that one.)

In any case, I'll go approach Pinkgothic about the egg cycler.

What do you all think?

What do you all think?

SHOKO, SHOKO, WAIT!

The way choices were counted and your "white background suffered" had me wondering. There must be a fairer way to tally votes. Ignoring W isn't right, and B placed third despite most users preferring other options.

Assigning points:

First choice should carry more weight than second or third. It's the "I want this the most" choice after all. W placed second in first and second choices, but in the final tally, it doesn't place at all, while low-ranking B gets a winning spot.

So. What if 3 points were assigned to first choice, 2 were assigned to second, and 3 to third? The total point value of each option would be

C: 48 (15 + 30 + 3)

E: 41 (30 + 6 + 5)

W: 35 (21 + 10 + 4)

F 24 (18 + 2 + 4)

B: 14 (3 + 4 + 7)

The first choice winner would be Crystal, followed by Eggs, and then White.

I also tried instant-runoff voting and single transferable votes, but they're complicated and C and F tied for third in the former case.

Edited by dirtytabs

I think that dirtytabs' method of tallying the votes is best, and not just because it came out matching the way I voted. xP It takes into account people's preferences with the tiered voting much more than simply adding the numbers up or treating each tier as first, second, and third place.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

An adult cycler was easier for Lunars because they all (colours and genders) share the same build and pose - I'd imagine there being some more work to do for a Fire Gem adult cycler.

I also agree with Tab's suggestion of how to count votes, but honestly, it looks like it doesn't matter, as the same two cyclers win all three methods of counting.

An adult cycler was easier for Lunars because they all (colours and genders) share the same build and pose - I'd imagine there being some more work to do for a Fire Gem adult cycler.

Mm, that's true.

Don't worry; I was already prepared to be fully outvoted on it, anyway, lol.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

You know - since people differ - is there any reason two (or more) choices cannot exist side by side ?

OK - but if the thing is hosted on imgur instead...

Fair enough; twas just a thought.

OK - but if the thing is hosted on imgur instead...

Fair enough; twas just a thought.

If it is hosted on imgur, it's just a plain image without any time-reading-and-interpreting logic wink.gif

It can't be hosted off-site because Pinkgothic uses a code on the DailyDragonFix page to get to change hourly. If you upload the image to imugr or another site without the code, it will probably be a static image.

- This is my assumption from how I understand it. We'd really have to confirm with Pinkgothic.

- ninja.gif'd by Ruby-eyes

@Dirty:Tabs, that's a better vote system, but that doesn't address the fact that not everyone was voting for 3 different spots. Some people only had one or two votes, so they don't carry the same weight.

The count still suffers because some people are influencing just one option, while other are influencing all 3.

Though the 3rd option is not really as important anymore because Pinkgothic is only willing to host two cyclers.

--

On a different note, would you all want to keep the second choice spot to Crystal © or change it to an adult banner?

(I'll see if I can make. Relatively simple one like the Lunar Herald.)

Edit: Apparently I can't spell.

Edited by Shokomon

On a different note, would you all want to keep the second choice spot to Crystal © or change it to an adult banner?

Personally, I'd prefer crystal. I've been using the adult lunar herald simply because of its shape, not because it's an egg or an adult, and mixed in with my other sig banners better. If the final two Fire Gem options include one in a box I'll probably change my Lunar Herald one to match because then there's no single box to look out of place.

Replacing Crystal with something else would mean, NONE of my 3 votes were considered. So obviously, I would NOT want it changed to something that wasn't even an option until now.

It can't be hosted off-site because Pinkgothic uses a code on the DailyDragonFix page to get to change hourly. If you upload the image to imugr or another site without the code, it will probably be a static image.

- This is my assumption from how I understand it. We'd really have to confirm with Pinkgothic.

- ninja.gif'd by Ruby-eyes

@Dirty:Tabs, that's a better vote system, but that doesn't address the fact that not everyone was voting for 3 different spots. Some people only had one or two votes, so they don't carry the same wait.

The count still suffers because some people are influencing just one option, while other are influencing all 3.

Though the 3 option is not really as important anymore because Pinkgothic is only willing to host two cyclers.

--

Not if that will end up as our only option for sigs. That's TOO complicated; PLEASE just an egg. If it must be framed, OK, but not a banner.

@ Ruby Eyes - your votes were counted, just didn't work. Like my vote in the last UK election - my party got lots more votes than the number of seats they got would suggest. That's voting for you sad.gif (Though I take your point that a replacement at this stage nullifies the whole shebang.)

Edited by fuzzbucket

(Though I take your point that a replacement at this stage nullifies the whole shebang.)

Exactly that's the point. It's too late to add another option that effectively *replaces* a previous one.

Let me leave Crystal alone then. I'll send the image files over to Pinkgothic.

What I might do is make a gif for the adults that displays the drop times.

Then if you don't like the cycler, you can have a reminder gif instead.

Thanks very much for doing this at all, though - the cyclers are SO useful, and without you guys we'd have to suffer or go to external websites. Please don't think you aren't hugely valued smile.gif

Thanks very much for doing this at all, though - the cyclers are SO useful, and without you guys we'd have to suffer or go to external websites. Please don't think you aren't hugely valued smile.gif

^This^

Glad I could help!

Though, thank Pinkgothic for hosting the cyclers! None of this would happen without them.

On a side note, Fire Button gif:

user posted image

[img=http://i64.tinypic.com/2zp79sw.jpg]

- For those who would want it. It changes slowly, so you can actually look at it.

- I'll make an adult one once I get permission to use adult sprites.

@Dirty:Tabs, that's a better vote system, but that doesn't address the fact that not everyone was voting for 3 different spots. Some people only had one or two votes, so they don't carry the same weight.

It's moot now, but in the future if another breed has time-based variations (and you and PG are so kind to design/host again smile.gif), as long as everyone lists multiple preferences, it should work.

Per Pinkgothic, the current cycler has officially been swapped out with the Crystal Background "C" images!

The Egg cycler requires some coding changes, but it is coming.

Per Pinkgothic, the current cycler has officially been swapped out with the Crystal Background "C" images!

The Egg cycler requires some coding changes, but it is coming.

Beautiful! I didn't even have to squint or enlarge the page, I can see with just a glance what colour it is.

Just dropping in to thank Corteo again for the Tetras! They're really grown on me, and not just because I have a school of them three feet from where I sit. I have a little pack of them on my scroll too, and am brainstorming names for future additions. wink.gif

Edited by Gryphonic