diaveborn

New Sprite General/Miscellaneous Discussion

The new dragons confuse me. They have no heads and look nothing like a dead tree lol.

I really hope all the negative feedback hasn't made Birdz and Process decide not to post concept art, because I am really in love with these chaos demons. :(

@Charity322 If you flip through the last several pages of the Happy Halloween thread in the News section, you'll see where people highlighted the head. I honestly do think they look like ancient, gnarled tree roots, or even driftwood.

Edited by LibbyLishly

@Charity322 the white parts make me think of bleached driftwood, the nice gnarled stuff you can buy for terrariums. Hope they can hide their flames, though! XD 

And while we're on the topic of ambush predators, I've always wondered how lurkers get enough to eat when they clearly mark their locations with piles of decorative bones. Really dumb deer maybe? XD

@LibbyLishly did they even say they'd post concept art? I assumed they would because it's becoming standard, but maybe I took good things for granted ;___; I really hope they do, said it before and I'll say it again, but I think a full size picture of these guys would look absolutely amazing! Hope we see some nice fanart of them in future.

I'm hoping for concept art - I'd like to understand these gnarly ones better :)

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

the white parts make me think of bleached driftwood, the nice gnarled stuff you can buy for terrariums. Hope they can hide their flames, though! XD

And while we're on the topic of ambush predators, I've always wondered how lurkers get enough to eat when they clearly mark their locations with piles of decorative bones. Really dumb deer maybe? XD

Don't you know barren wastelands are perpetually on fire, especially the trees?

"Hey, these are neat. Whoever built this stack has a good sense of negative spaaaaaeeeeeeeeeee-" (crunch) ? :D

I'm waiting for the concept art, too. I'm all for blue fire and gnarled wood and super details. <3

Am I crazy or is there an omen dragon hatchie on the Platinum trophy? Which came out in May? Was the Halloween release really planned that early, because that's crazy and so cool haha.

We never did get concept art, did we? That does sadden me quite a bit, as I would've loved to see it, and I know many others would like to as well.

Maybe birdz is just super busy and hasn't had time to post it yet. *Crosses fingers*

5 hours ago, Sunvera said:

Am I crazy or is there an omen dragon hatchie on the Platinum trophy? Which came out in May? Was the Halloween release really planned that early, because that's crazy and so cool haha.

Oh. My. Goodness. You're right! There are slight differences but the dragon on that trophy definitely resembles the Omen hatchie! That's so interesting.

^I always thought it was a xenowyrm, myself.

On topic though, can we talk about the holiday event as well as the new holiday dragon sprites here? Because I just wanted to say a great big THANK YOU for letting us actually read the epilogue (and the rest of the story) on-site. :)

I think the Platinum trophy's dragon is just a wyrm in general. 

And, just here to put in a little bit of female Fire Gem sprite love. The blue (sapphire) females are my favorite but the green and red are gloriously beautiful too!

Garlands are alright but they're not that interesting, they kinda look like a default sprite that just had some holiday stuff added on instead of a cool design that came out of someone's head. I'm not saying that that's what happened or that they're bad sprites but they just seem a little boring with slightly tacked on features.

I really hope the new valentines dragon is really good, I haven't really been wowed by a Holiday Dragon since the witchlights.

Edited by blockEdragon

Sort of agree. While I love the Omens, I found the Soulstone and Garland both as only okay and are boring to me. I hope we get some more interesting and unique holiday dragons this year. Including different color schemes for the holidays (blue, black, gold Valentines), etc.

13 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

I really hope the new valentines dragon is really good, I haven't really been wowed by a Holiday Dragon since the witchlights.

With the exception of Snows, I agree. I think the spriters did a nice job on the Mutamores, Soulstones, Omens, and Garlands, but they just weren't what I was hoping for. The Mutamores and Soulstones have lovely colors, but they just don't have that "gentle" Valentines look. They actually look kind of aggressive in my opinion. The Omens are also overly busy to the eye and don't really seem to fit Halloween? The Garlands are gorgeous and I love them, but they don't match very well with the majority of non-holiday breeds, so I won't be building all that many lineages with mine. Again, I appreciate the work the spriters put in, but we've had better releases. 

Please let this year's dragon be a black or dark colored anti-Valentine breed to really spice it up...

11 minutes ago, Dorchet said:

Sort of agree. While I love the Omens, I found the Soulstone and Garland both as only okay and are boring to me. I hope we get some more interesting and unique holiday dragons this year. Including different color schemes for the holidays (blue, black, gold Valentines), etc.

Black might be cool but blue is the most overused color on the site and I think we have enough, a very deep purple has never really been done before though, it's always a powdery purple and we have so few purple dragons so I think more purples would not hurt.

As a deep purple + black enthusiast myself, I say a purple and black valentine dragon that serves as a reminder that one doesn't NEED romance to be happy would be a cool change of pace, they'd still be about valentines and have a good moral but in a different way.

Edited by blockEdragon