ValidEmotions

The Academy OOC

Im still a bit confused about alchemy, what exactly does it entail? If it required direct magic then poor little James can't do it. Anyone else doing music and astronomy?

Deja is!

And he is very powerful in heat, fire, and light magics, can't at all do water and ice magics, and has small amounts of control over everything else.

Lol for Alchemy/Forgery I'd be forging since I'm a Telumnus and I wuuv weapons. For music, I'll be enjoying it a lot since I do have some experience with a piano.

Magic and alchemy are different because alchemy is about crafting with magic. In magic class you will learn how to use magic for uses outside of battle and various spells. In alchemy, you're actively working with materials to change them into different things, or making materials with your magic. Be this through spell casting, summoning or creating out of thin air.

Transforming yourself into a rat = magic

Making lead into gold = alchemy

Casting a spell to make a room hotter = magic

Creating flying carpets = alchemy

Casting summons to aide you with tasks = magic

Enchanting brooms to become 'alive' - alchemy

Of course sometimes the lines blur, but if you're creating something it's probably alchemy and if you're summoning something that already exists it's probably magic.

Then there's magic in combat class, for mages. That's about shooting fire and lightning and stabbing people with earth spikes. Pretty clear cut there. Which reminds me, would the magic teacher like to teach that in combat or the alchemy teacher?

Murph. I'll get all three put here so you guys can see.

FELIC:

Astronomy

Cooking

World History

Hand-to-hand Combat

Archery

Languages

Literature

Medical

Oh, shoot, wait. We have a handful of mandatory classes. Lucky, I know we deemed World History, Cultural Studies, and Science as important. But I also thought we had deemed Magic as well too. All four have three classes a week while the rest have two. :c

Hmm. Would it be possible for both the teachers to teach the magical combat class, in order to cater to the students' different fighting styles?

I've always thought of enchanting brooms to be pure magic. ._.

Quick, Narvix! Back to the drawing board/PM/batcave!

user posted image

Ba-na-na-na!

Good idea, Corrosion. Enchanting brooms would seem to be pure magic, but you're technically making a new item out of enchanting them. There's also more involved in the process of say, enchanting a broom. Magic would be learning how to pick it up and make it move back and forth with your own power, Alchemy is taking a lifeless broom and giving it some form of intelligence to carry out your will even without you focusing on it. It's like using a broom verses building a robot.

This is what I had thought of the two.

Alchemy being combining raw ingredients with matching effects to produce potions and poison.

and Magic being basically anything else.

Alchemy seems like it would be something like creating potions wouldn't it? Assuming potions exist, or would they come under science? I think James will be doing Music(he played viola in the school band), Astronomy (pwetty stars) and forging... because he loves all things combat/weapon based.

You're not changing the broom itself. That's like calling freezing water through a spell "alchemy". All you're doing is putting magic into it. Unless you want me to make broom-robots, which would have to be self-supporting and not like the ones from Fantasia, which would have to go through trial-and-error programming and etc....

I do agree with everyone else about ingredients; alchemy, I guess, is expediting the process of creation?

This is what I had thought of the two.

Alchemy being combining raw ingredients with matching effects to produce potions and poison.

and Magic being basically anything else.

That's a pretty easy way to look at it, but alchemy does have a little bit more to it. In its rawest form, this is Alchemy vs Magic.

Alchemy is crafting something psychical with magic. Be it potions, magic crystals, etc. Magic is using your skills in ways that don't intentionally create new things.

The lines blur when you start talking about the magic carpets and enchanted brooms. But that's all further discussion that would make it more complicated, but I count making an object able to make its own choices alchemy, and an object just being controlled by your will magic. It's all a debate on its own.

Edited by Luckyclaw

Eh, it is up to your Lucky. I was just using the definition that is from Skyrim as a way to define things. Just let us know. biggrin.gif

What about equivalent exchange, isn't the point of alchemy converting one form of matter into another, e.g. the common lead into gold scenario. And from what harry potter taught me (feel free to argue further, not trying to be mean lucky sad.gif ) brooms and carpets are just normal objects that have a magical spell placed on them allowing them to hover. And I've never heard of having the objects actually knowing what to do themselves... apart from the flying carpet in Aladdin. You can ultimately decide but I think equivalent exchange should be an important factor in alchemy.

Don't worry about being mean to me, darling. I know none of us mean it maliciously. We're just discussing something. No hard feelings anywhere.

Think of it as an average broom is a hunk of metal. A hunk of metal is inanimate, nothing else to it. You could pick it up and that would be magical, but you're not transforming it into anything.

Now imagine you made the hunk of metal into a robot and gave it a task. You make the metal into a carpet cleaning robot. It has sensors to understand to move around chairs and walls. It's not a hunk of metal anymore, it's a robot with some autonomy. It's not sentient, but it can make decisions on its own.

That's magic and alchemy. Magic is picking up the broom and moving it back and forth. Alchemy is making a complex spell to change the 'broom' into a 'cleaning bot'.

That said, this is where the lines blur. It's going to be confusing because this is where black and white meet and become gray. I doubt we'll run into this in the near future.

Also, no magic trumps death. Magic that trumps death is a big deal and has dire consequences. If death is overcome, think zombie dragon not Dragon Ball.

Equivilant exchange can be a limit for big spells. So no FMA Chimeras are produced and lead isn't easily changed into gold.

Lead isn't easily changed into gold? But it's only 3 protons awayyyy. I'd think that it'd be easier to convert things that have similar properties/in the same group of elements (alkali metals, alkaline earth metals, halogens, noble gasses, and so on). soft, silvery-white metals are changed into soft, silvery-white metals The origins of chemistry and the periodic table do lie in alchemy, after all.

Darling, you seem to know what you're doing when it comes to Alchemy. How about I leave the specifics of Alchemy and how it works to you? If we ever need you to teach something specific, I'll PM you before you start the class that day. How's that?

x3 I interrupt this program of Alchemy lessons for an important broadcast:

Mandatory Classes-

1 Gym

2 World History

3 Cultural Studies

4 Science

5 Combat

6 Literature

Optional Classes-

1 Magic

2 Music

3 Language

4 Medical

5 Astronomy

6 Alchemy/Forging

7 Cooking

EDIT: I'll be making my post tomorrow. Mom's kicking me to bed since it's well past my desired curfew and I've got work in the afternoon.

Edited by Narvix

Sorry for these questions, but where is the Teacher's mess hall/eating place in relation to the stairs?

@LuckyClaw: I hope I didn't pressure you into this.

When you enter the school you make a right, then continue walking past the hatchery. Keep walking through the mess hall, on the other side of the hallway is the teacher's lounge. That's where they eat and preform other teacherly activities.

No, you didn't pressure me into this, don't worry about that. I am bestowing a privilege unto you with my magical leader powers. Comes with free sparkles.

Sparkles? JEALOUS! Anyways in case you were wondering Narvix, Dain is not drunk... well much. he is more like drunk on blood I guess. Just wanted you to know.

Right. I'm back from the dead (sleep). Luke will be taking all dem classes mandatory and optional :3.

Haha okay FRoD. Felic still won't be happy.

Drakon, :c Deja's in their bed room with a hatching that just popped out of its egg. No recognition from Luke?

Sailing, Twig got moved to his room. Whichever one that is... do you have a chosen number?

Deja was in the bedroom again? Sorry I missed it

Edited by Drakonspite