angelicdragonpuppy

"Display lineage as originally received"

I think your view on what "original" is is a bit strange...

If you trade a 3rd gen Silver I posted above, and you have it set to (1-B), I would still be able to see the normal lineage (1-A), right? I trade for that dragon and keep the normal lineage view, not your "preserved" one.

The normal lineage (1-A) gets altered because you name one of the 2nd gen dragons, and I would like to get its original view back. Why cannot I do that? Why all I can restore is something that you changed, not something that originally existed at one point?

And if you mean that the person who wants the dragon doesn't even get to see the REAL lineage behind the "preservation", then yeah, it does seem like cheating to me.

No, you could only see 1-B.

"Original" refers to what you, the owner of that dragon, originally received it as.

Not to what whoever bred your dragon might have originally seen it as.

Whatever it was that you saw when you first collected / traded for it. Whatever it was that first made you interested in it. That's what you see. That's the certificate of ancestry you chose to purchase.

If you want a deadline Silver--trade for one. Don't trade for a checker and then cry because you didn't get a deadline. Go trade for a deadline instead! It's not that hard. ;___;

The idea here is to ensure you always have the option to see things as they were when you got them, not to give you a dozen choices regarding every dragon you collect.

As per the Webster-Merriam dictionary:

"Lineage: the people who were in someone's family in past times"

So it is the real lineage. A lineage is not required to show who's dead.

Whereas sometimes I see people trading "3g Tinsels" that have dead, very long-lineaged ancestors. Now, that's false.

Just because DC took it in an odd direction doesn't mean a proper family tree is false, any more than the old drop-to-AP trading style makes the new trading system false.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

This seems to be getting really complicated! ohmy.gif

What's wrong with just two options -this is what it looked like when I got it- and -this is what it looks like now-? (And only on your own scroll)

If you choose to breed an egg after the lineage has been altered by a dragon being killed, renamed, zombiefied, what ever, and you offer that bred egg in trade the person looking at the trade lineage link should see a default showing the current lineage, dead dragons and all.

After all the person receiving that egg won't be getting an unaltered lineage, so why would they have an option to see it that way?

Their option should be to see it as they received it, ... and then if any changes are made to the lineage after that they should be able to to see two versions of the lineage, both the one they received and the newly altered version.

Edited by Tawanda001

What's wrong with just two options -this is what it looked like when I got it- and -this is what it looks like now-? (And only on your own scroll)

If you choose to breed an egg after the lineage has been altered by a dragon being killed, renamed, zombiefied, what ever, and you offer that bred egg in trade the person looking at the trade lineage link should see a default showing the current lineage, dead dragons and all.

After all the person receiving that egg won't be getting an unaltered lineage, so why would they have an option to see it that way?

Their option should be to see it as they received it, ... and then if any changes are made to the lineage after that they should be able to to see two versions of the lineage, both the one they received and the newly altered version.

That sounds fair enough to me, actually. Show it as it was when you got it, if that's what you prefer - but ONLY on YOUR scroll. It may have problems for keen traders - but yes, I think if you are getting something, it should be an "honest" something. After all - if you get an egg that looks 4th gen, and you track the ancestors back one by one, sooner or later you are going to find the dead one - and then you are going to be cross.

This seems to be getting really complicated!  ohmy.gif

Their option should be to see it as they received it, ... and then if any  changes are made to the lineage after that  they should be able to to see two versions of the lineage, both the one they received and the newly altered version.

Agreed. Though I think 3 options would be best (the birth status, current status, and full ancestry). The current status would be the default (basically what we have now) and if you want to see the other status's you can do so but only if you click something off the offspring's page. That way you can still see a pretty checker lineage that you worked on but it's not valued as much nor can you change the actual lineage; just the one you see. Sorry if I'm just repeating your points, I'm dead tired right now. sad.gif

Edited by Sarah864

Actually, I think the only sensible approach would be to have two lineage views.

Option a: "the current default"

Option b: without tombstones, all dragons.

It should be possible to toggle, but not per dragon or per scroll, but per account. So if I want to see nicer lineages, I can switch or set it as default, but there should be NO WAY to falsify the lineage view or override the preferences of other users.

Passing on "corrected" lineages to others would open so many cans if worms.... No, thank you very much. I'd rather rebreed my whole shimmer project than go through the madness of that suggestion.

Because then the suggestion does squat for gifters / traders. Yes, it would preserve the original lineage for the owner, but it'd be a rather bittersweet viewing.

Take him for example. I caught him in the AP, and it seems lots of other people caught his siblings. The owner made a really beautiful lineage to gift from. But if all people see after the lineage is changed is that change (aka, what you see now), then that lineage is no good for gifting. The work that person put in to have something pretty to share with others is gone.

Same goes for many other pretty checkers / even gens / high lineages and such. And that's only to talk of gifting. Lineages useful for trading would hit the toilet, too, again leaving the owners bereft of the value of what they paid for.

Heck, it even is sad for wicked messy lineages. This lady here was saved from the AP entirely because I realized she was related to one of my own favorite dragons! Pretty neat. Now, let's say her father died. Then I could only ever share the story with others by screenshotting it... which, again, kinda ruins the point.

Actually, I think the only sensible approach would be to have two lineage views.

It should be possible to toggle, but not per dragon or per scroll, but per account. So if I want to see nicer lineages, I can switch or set it as default, but there should be NO WAY to falsify the lineage view or override the preferences of other users.

Oooh. This sounds good. And hopefully much easier to implement, too!

Doing it this way means that STILL any dragon who has had an ancestor killed is USELESS for breeding.

Take this dragon for example:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/RDVMN

Lets say I got her while Santa was still alive. (She's not mine, she's a wild dragon, just giving an example).

Ok, I traded in good faith for a dragon that will breed perfect checkers, with no tombstones.

Then Santa is killed. Poor Santa!

Since I already had my egg, I could see the unaltered view. But, unless that unaltered view is passed to the offspring, I can never use Wild Dragon for breeding perfect checkers with no tombstones. Because all babies from that point on will have the tombstone.

So doing it the way you have said here does not help me. Yes it preserved the look of my dragon, but I still can't use her in any more lineages.

Cheers!

C4.

PS: I'll start another topic later on today with that idea I had earlier. It really is different from this one.

Cyradis I love how we both used sibling dragons to make our points xd.pngD

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Also gonna add Whitebaron's thing to the OP after lunch.

I think including the full ancestry option would be best for the reasons stated above (too many people said similar things pretty quickly), plus it would just be nice to see the entire history of something. I'm mulling over the account toggle option, I think that would ease a lot of concerns but at the same time it might just be annoying to have to change settings if you want to see the lineage of just one dragon (it's minor though so take it with a grain of salt). What do you guys think about only being able to see the other lineages if you have that dragon? In other words, you can see whatever lineages you want on your own dragons but not on anyone else's and vice versa?

What do you guys think about only being able to see the other lineages if you have that dragon? In other words, you can see whatever lineages you want on your own dragons but not on anyone else's and vice versa?

Hmmm, well. I'm inclined to say you can only see your own, because then people who make dead lines could have a dead line that can't be seen past, so long as it was on their scroll (although as things currently are, the dead line can be "clicked" past anyway, so eh...)

Edit: I also think the ability to toggle per-dragon would be nice. Then we could appreciate both dead lines and full lineages without having to always choose one over the other. I'd love to collect a deadline checkered Silver Tinsel and a pretty full checker as well, but if it had to be an account setting for the scroll, I'd probably always keep full lineages displayed... which means I'd be missing out on the work of dead liners (and they'd, in turn, be missing out on being able to share their lineage with some people).

Sarah, I forgot to add to my post the assumption that if there are two views, you can change them on the /lineage page for your current viewing. The account option would just set the default view.

Side note: when tj restored the lineage view, he made a mistake that allowed to see past tombstones. He fixed that within 15 minutes of being alerted to that mistake.

Sarah, I forgot to add to my post the assumption that if there are two views, you can change them on the /lineage page for your current viewing. The account option would just set the default view.

Side note: when tj restored the lineage view, he made a mistake that allowed to see past tombstones. He fixed that within 15 minutes of being alerted to that mistake.

He's also said he things deadlines are misleading, though. So, as always on DC, we just have to come up with the best idea possible and then wait and see how he reacts to it. xd.png;; I think we're getting close to an ideal solution, though. If we roll with Sarah's idea that you can only set it for dragons you own, and see other people's choice when viewing their own dragons, deadliners could still hide the full lineage as much as they liked. Obviously dragons they breed from that deadline could show the full thing, but presumably they'd either be gifting to people who like the look and would keep the deadline, or they're sprinkling the offspring into the AP and doing so knowing they risk letting the full lineage be seen.

Agreed. Though I think 3 options would be best (the birth status, current status, and full ancestry). The current status would be the default (basically what we have now) and if you want to see the other status's you can do so but only if you click something off the offspring's page. That way you can still see a pretty checker lineage that you worked on but it's not valued as much nor can you change the actual lineage; just the one you see. Sorry if I'm just repeating your points, I'm dead tired right now. sad.gif

If by three options you mean deadlines still have the option to click on the tombstones and see the ancestors, then yeah, that's kind of what I envision. I don't see any need to change that from what it is.

Passing on "corrected" lineages to others would open so many cans if worms....

Hmmm... the only problem I see with that would be if you received a pretty lineage deadline, and then someone went and altered it after the fact. You'd have no way to 'see' it as the deadline you received.

Totally agree that passing on corrected lineages is a big can of worms.

Doing it this way means that STILL any dragon who has had an ancestor killed is USELESS for breeding.

Sorry, I thought the point of this was simply to preserve the pretty lineages you traded for, not to somehow keep the lineage pure for trading purposes. I don't really care for that idea. It's a shame someone ruins a lineage and you can no longer use the offspring for trading/gifting, but short of forbidding people to make those changes I don't see a way to solve that particular problem. What you are suggesting seem to be a way to try to get around that, and to me that is not very much different than deadliners insisting that no one see past their dead dragons. Two sides of the same coin. Edited by Tawanda001

Yay, I'm helping! Anyways, I think that if the lineage is different from the default there should be a marker next to the view lineage so that way people know (although I don't think it should be a red star, I just don't think that fits :s ). Also, the dead dragon names in the lineage should be in italics so that people know that in the default view they're dead.

@whitebaron okay that makes a lot more sense and is far more efficient.

Edited by Sarah864

I don't have to insinuate anything and I didn't, I stated it right out in the open! There are people posting here who've stated that their game play has been negatively affected by malicious killing.

In fact, that's the reason people maliciously kill dragons: to ruin another person's game play.

If killing said dragon didn't affect the other person, why then kill it? Like the owners of that Shimmer and Cavern Lurker who said if the auto-ed egg wasn't returned to them they'd kill the Lurker.

Other than that, I'm not going to respond further to your comment. Such beliefs, and an unwillingness to even consider compromise when you ARE affecting other people, are why every single thread about this has devolved into major arguments.

Oh and by the way, except where its physically impossible to do so, I always do my own lineages, because I'm not willing to give you the ability to affect my game play.

C4.

Person A kills a dragon. It is NOT Person A's fault if Person B decides they want to get unreasonably upset because Person A exercised their right to do what they wanted with their own dragon. Person B has no right to declare Person A as a "malicious killer" in an effort to cow/force them into playing the game in a manner that Person B would instead like. Person A's scroll belongs to Person A. Person A has 100% control over what happens to the dragons on their own scroll - not Person B. If Person B wants to have full control over a dragon's lineage, then they need to create it from scratch on their own scroll.

@Diaveborn: all depends on whether the zombies were there at the time of receiving or not. If they weren't, this applies. If they were then hey, you chose to keep it and that's what you see. I agree zombie lineages can be neat, but at the end of the day they're just as significant a change as a deadline. I doubt someone who worked on an 8th gen PB Pink collaboration would be pleased to see a zombie popping up in it, and they'd probably choose to see the original lineage. Whereas other people might suddenly find themselves in possession of a zombie checker and be thrilled by it, choosing to leave that lineage as default. Does that answer your question? :)

My question was more along the lines of, do zombies ever actually show up in lineages as things are now. Which I gather from your reply that they do, so thank you :) And then I was trying to make the point that zombie sprites showing up in lineages (that they weren't in when the person got the egg) would be an additional reason to support suggestions like this as some people find them disturbing and go out of their way to avoid them.

I worded things horribly, sorry - so thanks so much for reading and replying :):)

Edited by diaveborn

Person A kills a dragon.  It is NOT Person A's fault if Person B decides they want to get unreasonably upset because Person A exercised their right to do what they wanted with their own dragon.  Person B has no right to declare Person A as a "malicious killer" in an effort to cow/force them into playing the game in a manner that Person B would instead like.  Person A's scroll belongs to Person A. Person A has 100% control over what happens to the dragons on their own scroll - not Person B.  If Person B wants to have full control over a dragon's lineage, then they need to create it from scratch on their own scroll.

Hi, WraithZephyr,

nobody's disputing that people do have a right to do whatever to their own dragons, although on the other hand, it's fraudulent for people to demand high 'payments' for the offspring of dragons the owners later kill, destroying the lineage for which they were paid by these people.

We're discussing and trying to come up with a potential solution so that EVERYBODY can do whatever to their own dragons *without* fouling up other people's dragons - including in lines gifted/traded to others all the way down through, likely, multiple generations.

Since the lineage attached to any dragon forms the dragon's value, and since multiple dragons/generations may be involved, it's only fair that people down the line should be able to retain on their dragons the lineage for which they were gifted or traded, regardless of what Person A may decide to do to his or her own dragons.

That way, we could all have equal control over our own dragons *without adversely affecting others*. smile.gif

Person A kills a dragon. It is NOT Person A's fault if Person B decides they want to get unreasonably upset because Person A exercised their right to do what they wanted with their own dragon. Person B has no right to declare Person A as a "malicious killer" in an effort to cow/force them into playing the game in a manner that Person B would instead like. Person A's scroll belongs to Person A. Person A has 100% control over what happens to the dragons on their own scroll - not Person B. If Person B wants to have full control over a dragon's lineage, then they need to create it from scratch on their own scroll.

Person A can kill their dragon's to their heart's content. So why are you (general) getting bent out of shape over me wanting to have the option to view *my* dragon's lineage as I originally got it?

You killing your dragons should not affect my dragons, and vice versa. My dragon's lineage is a part of my dragon. I should NOT be *forced* to accept your modification to *my* dragon, after the fact.

I and many others consider the lineage as an important part of the dragon. Why *else* would a CB Gold be worth so much more than a 2nd gen Gold, which is worth so much more than a highly inbred, 17th gen Gold?

The only difference, the ONLY difference, the ONLY way you can tell the difference between them, is their lineage page.

If all three were actually considered, by the majority of people on the forums (which is the only meter stick we have), to be equivalent, then their trade values would be the same. Or at least, in the same ballpark.

Their trade values are NOT the same. Not even CLOSE. One is valued far and away more highly than the other two by almost everyone, and the 2nd is valued far more highly than the third.

Therefore, the vast majority of users trading consider the lineage view to be HIGHLY important to a given dragon.

In effect, you (general), by REFUSING to allow my dragon's lineage to remain intact in any way shape or form when you exercise your right to kill, you are FORCING me to only do lineages with MY dragons that I can do on my own scroll. Or run the risk of you retaliating against me.

Right now, YOU are forcing ME to accept your ability to change MY dragons.

I have never once called a person who kills their dragons malicious.

I have, however, called into question the motives of those people who are refusing to consider a compromise, who are using the tired old saw "That's the way it is, you should know better, deal!" as their only justification for not even being willing to DISCUSS compromise.

In short, I am stating that I find the motives of the people forcing me to accept their permanent modifications to my dragon's lineages, who are telling me to accept their control over my dragon, and who are telling me I have no right to any control over my dragon's lineages, into question.

In short, people who are willing to at least discuss change I have not, and will never, say have malicious intentions.

Cheers!

C4.

I would like to add this example of the generally accepted importance of lineage.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=142059

The Rare Trading Center

RULES:

... You may offer only rare dragons (see supplied list below as to what constitutes a rare).

You may request anything, including commons and caveblockers - only your offer has to be rare.

Dragons that are not expressly listed as rare do not count as rare. ...

... The following dragons are only rare as caveborn, gendered hatchlings:

CB Nebula

The following dragons are only rare up to a certain generation:

Tinsel - no higher than 5th gen

Shimmer-scale - no higher than 5th gen

Gold - no higher than 3rd gen

Silver - no higher than 3rd gen

Trio Dragon (Ice, Thunder or Magma) - no higher than 3rd gen

Copper - no higher than 2nd gen

Thuwed-lineaged Dragon - no higher than 2nd gen

Offspring from Spriter Alts - no higher than 2nd gen

The following dragons are rare if they're caveborn:

CB Blusang Lindwurm

CB Gold Wyvern

CB Red Dorsal

CB Seasonal

CB Tan Ridgewing

CB Green Opal (Forest-Variant Two-Headed Lindwurm)

and this, from the first trade post currently shown on this thread, to demonstrate that lineage may play even a larger role in desirability than do the various sprites in many cases.

... Want:

Hatchling offers. I want at least two hatchlings for the silver Shimmer. I will go on the lineage quality rather than quantity, though I like CB uncommons, or any pretty lineaged commons/uncommons/rares. ...

Since many of us don't like deads in lineages and would never trade for any, those typically don't get offered in trades.

They're effectively worthless to most, except to those who like deadlines, and a lot of us don't personally want those either, having different tastes.

There are stilll many players out there, who'd die for any holly, any metal. And thats not only non-forum goers. Just because the regulars have most of what they wanted by now due to their social network, does not mean its like that for everyone.

There are stilll many players out there, who'd die for any holly, any metal. And thats not only non-forum goers. Just because the regulars have most of what they wanted by now due to their social network, does not mean its like that for everyone.

Ah but while they may welcome a long lined messy, would they prefer the long line messy to a short line? Or a neat line?

Chances are, they'd prefer the short line.

Why? Either they like it better, or they think its more valuable.

Either way, the lineage matters to them, even if they are in the "any Holly / metal is better than none" category.

And what about other, lesser dragons? How many people have you met who would show a preference for a 17th gen inbred messy horse over a horse with a tidy lineage page?

Yes there are those out there who value the messy lines.

But how many times have you caught a messy line from the AP, dumped it back, only to pick it up again and again and again? Judging from how long messy commons stay in the AP, bouncing from user to user while pretty lineages don't stick around long, I'd say that a significant portion of the userbase, on the forums and off, value the dragon's lineage. In fact, I'd say that the people who value the messy lineages is exactly like those who make deadlines: a niche market.

And actually the responsible deadliners aren't the ones ruining other lineages, either accidentally or intentionally.

So the only markets this and other such suggestions would materially affect is the niche market of malicious lineage destroyers, and protecting against accidents.

In short:

When given a choice between a tidy / patterned lineage and an upteenth gen messy of the same breed (any breed), most people pick the tidy / patterned lineage.

That means, the lineage does matter.

If the lineage didn't matter, then it would be 50 / 50 between the two.

So, since the lineage of a dragon does matter to a significant part of the userbase, why not put some sort of protection for that part of the dragon?

Cheers!

C4.

Really? Then how is that not "falsifying information" about lines that I mentioned earlier?

I think the point we may not be making well is that those of us who don't like the current setup don't want to pretend our dragons' ancestors are alive when they are not; we just don't think dragons' pictures should dissolve from family albums upon their death, because that's not what happens in the real world when people die. I still have photographs of all my grandparents. That doesn't mean I'm delusional and refuse to believe they're dead. It doesn't mean I'm "falsifying information" about my family by keeping pictures of them in my photo album. It just means I think deceased =/= expunged from history.

I don't entirely see how this could be used to deceive traders, since the person who receives the egg will get to choose for him or herself how to view its lineage. That means if you go to trade a 2nd-gen deadline shimmer and the person likes the way it looks as a 2nd-gen in your lineage view, they can keep the same lineage view they bought from you. If I go to trade a 6th-gen checker lineage with a dead ancestor whose picture remains on the page and the person likes the way it looks on my scroll with the picture of the deceased dragon still remaining there, they can keep the same lineage view they bought from me. WYSIWYG, in both directions.

It might make it even less likely for anyone to get buyer's remorse if every lineage display screen had a toggle button to let you cycle through the different lineage views of the same dragon (family tree display, tombstone display, and possibly other displays like progenitor-to-the-left or top-down, if TJ ever implements those.) Then you could know for sure if any of the displays appeal to you or don't appeal to you before making a trade.

Or put more simply: do you consider trading an inbred deadline dragon to be inherently deceptive, or delusionally pretending the dragon isn't inbred? Because I don't. Anybody who cared could check to see if the dragon has any inbred ancestors regardless of tombstones. If this idea were to be implemented, anybody who cared could check to see if the dragon has any dead ancestors regardless of pictures. Right?

When given a choice between a tidy  / patterned lineage and an upteenth gen messy of the same breed (any breed), most people pick the tidy / patterned lineage.

That means, the lineage does matter.

This matters because the lineage-obsessed people have caused lineage-based value to control a large portion of the trade market.

If I were to never trade ever, I'd actually not care about lineages outside of a few that I work on for myself. But I'd be happy with messy lineages and whatnot. Because, for my purposes, lineages don't matter.

Sadly, since I can't get every dragon I want all on my own, I have to rely on either luck in the AP or trading--and since I have less time to just stalk the AP and whatnot, trading is my best bet.

Oh, but I can't just collect mess-lineage rares! Because the people who have the dragons I don't yet have (aka rare or more wanted dragons, since obviously super commons are easy enough to get) tend to demand "pretty" lineages! So I have to make sure that the dragons I have have low generations and have nice lineages if I want to ever be able to then trade them for future dragons I'm having trouble getting.

Which means if I want to be able to complete my scroll goals, I actually have to have my playstyle in part dictated by the playstyle of others.

In fact, until I started to resort to trading to get dragons I didn't have... Guess what? I bred willy-nilly outside of a few lineages I thought were pretty, didn't care about lineages for the most part, and generally just placed value on species alone. It wan't until I realized I NEEDED to trade to get some of the dragons I wanted that I realized I was being forced to alter my playstyle thanks to the playstyles of others.

This matters because the lineage-obsessed people have caused lineage-based value to control a large portion of the trade market.

If I were to never trade ever, I'd actually not care about lineages outside of a few that I work on for myself.  But I'd be happy with messy lineages and whatnot.  Because, for my purposes, lineages don't matter.

Sadly, since I can't get every dragon I want all on my own, I have to rely on either luck in the AP or trading--and since I have less time to just stalk the AP and whatnot, trading is my best bet.

Oh, but I can't just collect mess-lineage rares!  Because the people who have the dragons I don't yet have (aka rare or more wanted dragons, since obviously super commons are easy enough to get) tend to demand "pretty" lineages!  So I have to make sure that the dragons I have have low generations and have nice lineages if I want to ever be able to then trade them for future dragons I'm having trouble getting.

Which means if I want to be able to complete my scroll goals, I actually have to have my playstyle in part dictated by the playstyle of others.

In fact, until I started to resort to trading to get dragons I didn't have...  Guess what?  I bred willy-nilly outside of a few lineages I thought were pretty, didn't care about lineages for the most part, and generally just placed value on species alone.  It wan't until I realized I NEEDED to trade to get some of the dragons I wanted that I realized I was being forced to alter my playstyle thanks to the playstyles of others.

Those "lineage-obsessed people" (myself being one of them) are a large majority and often play/have been playing DC for a long time. It is possible to get every dragon by yourself, just difficult, and since you can get all the dragons by yourself you don't have to change the way you play. It seems to me that you're more bitter about the influence on trading this request may have for you than about how many people will appreciate and want this idea.

Edited by Sarah864