angelicdragonpuppy

"Display lineage as originally received"

Those "lineage-obsessed people" (myself being one of them) are a large majority and often play/have been playing DC for a long time. It is possible to get every dragon by yourself, just difficult, and since you can get all the dragons by yourself you don't have to change the way you play. It seems to me that you're more bitter about the influence on trading this request may have for you than about how many people will appreciate and want this idea.

That's kind of how it does come over in a lot of posts, I have to say...

And again I say - I really don;'t mine what happens here, to be honest, now that I can no longer have a really dead deadline !

This matters because the lineage-obsessed people have caused lineage-based value to control a large portion of the trade market.

[...]

Sadly, since I can't get every dragon I want all on my own, I have to rely on either luck in the AP or trading--and since I have less time to just stalk the AP and whatnot, trading is my best bet.

Oh, but I can't just collect mess-lineage rares!  Because the people who have the dragons I don't yet have (aka rare or more wanted dragons, since obviously super commons are easy enough to get) tend to demand "pretty" lineages!  So I have to make sure that the dragons I have have low generations and have nice lineages if I want to ever be able to then trade them for future dragons I'm having trouble getting.

Which means if I want to be able to complete my scroll goals, I actually have to have my playstyle in part dictated by the playstyle of others.

In fact, until I started to resort to trading to get dragons I didn't have...  Guess what?  I bred willy-nilly outside of a few lineages I thought were pretty, didn't care about lineages for the most part, and generally just placed value on species alone.  It wan't until I realized I NEEDED to trade to get some of the dragons I wanted that I realized I was being forced to alter my playstyle thanks to the playstyles of others.

And? This suggestion won't change that. It was a fact before this thread and will remain a fact after this thread. And it makes sense, really; many older players have collected all the sprites ages ago, so unless people enjoy amassing armies or sitting quietly around waiting for new releases, lineages are the way to go. With lineages, I now have something to do beyond "I want a Bronze Tinsel." I also want a 2g Bronze Tinsel, a few short-gen Bronze Tinsels from pairings I like, a deadline Bronze Tinsel checkered with Sunsongs. Lineages have essentially increased what there is for me to collect by an immeasurable amount! Sweet.

This suggestion wouldn't change that viewpoint, nor would it change trading standards. The only change it makes is that people who do enjoy that play style can do so more freely.

You feel like you're being forced to collect pretty lineages to trade, yet people against this suggestion have over and over told us that we should never collect things from other people's lineages if we don't want to fear having their ancestry changed. In other words, we're being told that our play style (collecting lineages) is wrong. We have been backed into a corner: either give up our way of playing and only make our own lineages (which is often impossible where Prizes, Holidays, or Discontinueds are involved), or forever live in fear that all we've worked for can be taken from us.

Also, there is no standard dragon that you can't get on your own. Sure, Neglecteds and Hollies might be hard to get, but in the end collecting a CB Gold to trade for them requires about the same amount of energy as would making your own Neglected, or catching a Holly in the AP, or participating in a thread that gifts Hollies for common collection. So you don't have to trade to collect those things; it's one of several options. The only things you really can't get by yourself are special lineages... and you just said you didn't care about lineages, right?

All that aside. Let's say you still feel collecting a few nicely lineaged rares is the easiest way to get whatever it is you're trying to trade for. So you put in the work, you get a few nice lineaged Golds or whatever, and you trade for a 3g Shimmer with a rare line. Muahaha, now you shall be set for the rest of your days! You put in the time, your efforts have been rewarded, and you'll never have to collect another fancy lineage again, because you already have what you need to trade for just about everything you require--

And then, oh, that 3g Shimmer's parents are killed, and nobody wants its offspring anymore. Suddenly, everything you've worked hard for is useless to you. When you go to demand why the person you traded with would cheat you in such a way, you find their profile is now nothing but a bunch of rude "DC STINKS" related commentary. Obviously you will not be compensated for your loss.

Wouldn't that kinda... aggravate you?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Such is life, deal with it.

A 3g shimmer is also far from being set for all times, honestly, youdont even draw nice offers with 4gs anymore if you are not interested inswapsor bred metalics.

As I repeatedly stated: trade value is one of the worst arguments to make in a suggestion, especialy as tj stated that alldragons are of the same "worth", be they lineaged or cb, rare or blocker.

What TJ said would have merit if the playerbase or code actually acted that way. It doesn't, and even within the base game, no lineage involved, there are dragons more valued by the playerbase than others because they are harder to obtain. Even if you couldn't trade them, a Gold or Silver is harder to get and thus more desired than a blocker. If general-you wanted all dragons to be universally valuable, you'd have to make them appear at the same rate and then never add more because the new ones would be more valuable until most players got them. Not exactly the way to run a game.

That said, I'd say this is important to implement just to prevent hard work or beloved lineages being destroyed out of another player's spite (emphsized because that's what most people are concerned about). I have a Daydream I don't breed anymore that's related to all four Sweetling variants by his father, and I would be devastated if his father was killed despite the fact that none of his offspring would have any trade value, because I like looking at all those Sweetlings he's related too.

"Deal with it" doesn't make sense when we're talking about someone doing something that could ruin several completely unrelated players' day. If you want an infamous example, Santa didn't have just one kid that was never bred. A lot of players were affected by his owner killing him, and that wasn't fair to them.

Adult dragons are essentially immortal, unless deliberately/accidentally killed.

So people have a reasonable expectation of having lineages remain as they were when traded, gifted or found.

If ancestors are killed or altered, there's no reason that all records of the original lineage would necessarily be magically destroyed forever, any more than such documents would be in real life.

Therefore, it would make sense to give people the option of retaining that original document as it was, regarding their own dragons.

I don't think it's likely that we'll get this option.

I do wonder why some people object to others having a chance to see their own dragon's lineages in the original, where preferred.