cyradis4

Send Biome Blockers to the AP

Sorry if this has already been mentioned and fixed, but while I do love the idea, an AP full of CB commons is hardly an interesting or fun AP, no matter if they're incuhatchable or not.

In the interest of helping with that, perhaps any eggs kicked to the AP would instantly show up as 1-day-left eggs? A 4d1h CB common isn't going to excite my interest, but super ER things would be tasty. The logic would be that the trauma of getting so violently tossed from one spot to another would frighten the dragon into being more ready to leave the egg, just as earthquake works now, in fitting with the whole "Unborn dragons are actually ready to hatch early on in their development cycle. However, they choose to remain in the safety of their own egg rather than leave it" thing.

The one possible downside would be ERs getting glutted with eggs, though. Maybe if it wasn't booted down to 1d left, at least put it down to 4d or 3d...?

I'd say I explained why this wouldn't just "move the problem" in the first post, but I'll be even more explicite here:

I, personally, collect CBs of everything.

I, personally, will NOT take 99% of CBs from the Cave, and cost myself a valuable egg slot.

I, personally, am *delighted* to take incu-hatchable (or better!) eggs from the AP. Especially CBs.

There is a HUGE subset of the player base who thinks exactly as I do.

Right now, the AP is quite high-timed, and I personally am NOT hunting it. I have my own lineages to work on. But if the AP was at 5 days or less, I'd be hunting it.... and KEEPING those "unwanted" commons. There are many breeds I don't like, but I'll keep anything that is a CB hatchie.

So I am proof positive that this WOULD work. Actually, the response of the AP whenever the eggs in it drop below 4 days (like in the aftermath of the Holiday wall!) is proof positive that this *would* work. In fact, its been proven time and time again that even the worst messies find homes..... IF they hit the AP as low time eggs.

So. As there are multiple proofs over the last two years and more that this *would* work, I have to disagree with you about it just "moving the problem".

The key, to this suggestion, is the change in how people behave with low-time eggs. 4 CB high-time blocker eggs are worthless. 4 CB blocker hatchies are worth a bred rare.... at minimum.

Cheers!

C4.

I ALSO am very happy when I can find a nice Incuhatcheable CB ont he AP.... admittedlY iamless strict about grabbing fromt he biomes themselves than you apparently are, but still.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned and fixed, but while I do love the idea, an AP full of CB commons is hardly an interesting or fun AP, no matter if they're incuhatchable or not.

In the interest of helping with that, perhaps any eggs kicked to the AP would instantly show up as 1-day-left eggs? A 4d1h CB common isn't going to excite my interest, but super ER things would be tasty. The logic would be that the trauma of getting so violently tossed from one spot to another would frighten the dragon into being more ready to leave the egg, just as earthquake works now, in fitting with the whole "Unborn dragons are actually ready to hatch early on in their development cycle. However, they choose to remain in the safety of their own egg rather than leave it" thing.

The one possible downside would be ERs getting glutted with eggs, though. Maybe if it wasn't booted down to 1d left, at least put it down to 4d or 3d...?

Anything less than 3d 12hr, and you'll likely get people turning their noses up at the eggs.... Because they are not influenceable below 3 days.

But I think what you'd find is that, after a few months.... less and less eggs would be kicked as the biomes evened out.

Cheers!

C4.

Anything less than 3d 12hr, and you'll likely get people turning their noses up at the eggs.... Because they are not influenceable below 3 days.

I see your point but, personally, I do not turn my nose up at eggs with less than 3d 12h. In general I collect only CBs, the exceptions being hybrids and low-gen prizes. So I would pick up any very low-timed egg, hatch it, and if the hatchling is not what I collect, I would freeze it or drop it back in the AP.

If the low timed eggs are a bunch of CBs from the biomes, common or not, that's even better from my point of view smile.gif

Anyway... I said "personally" but I assume there are others that do the same.

Honestly you'd only really need them to be at <4 days, which would happen naturally as the AP filled, and I doubt the AP would be totally glutted with CB commons in the long term. (The short term, yes, but I consider that an acceptable tradeoff for more balanced ratios.)

If all fails, there's always that idea to revive natural multiclutching to stir things up in the AP.

Edited by CNR4806

The other issue I noticed brought up in the past pages was the whole thing of AP hunters who hunt for only lineages and not cbs.

That is almost certainly going to be a problem at first, unfortunately. I think as ratios even out it'll stop being an issue, but at first there will be a lot of CBs.

The only thing I can think of to alleviate it would be to have them put into a separate AP specifically for kicked eggs, but I feel that that makes the solution too complex for the problem. Better to use what we already have.

I don't think it would be difficult for TJ to put a cap on how many eggs get punted from the biomes to the AP. It could be deliberately balanced so that roughly equal numbers of the eggs there are CB or bred. It would take a bit longer to balance the ratios that way I think, but it would still happen. And the lineage hunters would have an easier time finding stuff they like.

TJ would want to balance things anyway so that the AP hovers around 4 to 5 days left anyway, in my opinion.

The other issue I noticed brought up in the past pages was the whole thing of AP hunters who hunt for only lineages and not cbs.

I realize that nobody knows the answer but I'm idly wondering how many of us hunt the AP for CBs (like I do) vs hunting for lineages.

I realize that nobody knows the answer but I'm idly wondering how many of us hunt the AP for CBs (like I do) vs hunting for lineages.

I know I don't hunt for lineages. I have no interest in them. I dont mind making them ut I have no reall desire to look for them. The only think I like on my scroll is CB, and if I have lineaged stuff they are gifts or holidays.

That is almost certainly going to be a problem at first, unfortunately. I think as ratios even out it'll stop being an issue, but at first there will be a lot of CBs.

The only thing I can think of to alleviate it would be to have them put into a separate AP specifically for kicked eggs, but I feel that that makes the solution too complex for the problem. Better to use what we already have.

I was actually contemplating this idea and I wanna be devils advocate and agree. I would much rather see a separate AP for these punted CB eggs so that I know for a fact I am hunting through only CBs.

I don't think it would be difficult for TJ to put a cap on how many eggs get punted from the biomes to the AP. It could be deliberately balanced so that roughly equal numbers of the eggs there are CB or bred. It would take a bit longer to balance the ratios that way I think, but it would still happen. And the lineage hunters would have an easier time finding stuff they like.

TJ would want to balance things anyway so that the AP hovers around 4 to 5 days left anyway, in my opinion.

While this would be nice, I personally dislike sifting through lineages for CBs as other dislike sifting through CBs for lineages. I think Guillotines suggestion is better. I had even mentioned the addition of an extra AP just for Cave punted CBs in an earlier post.

I normally try the AP before I ever try the biomes for common caveborns.

Personally I hunt AP for lineages, low line though maybe 3rd gen at most. BUT I won't turn down a cb that's uncommon.

So punting Blockers int there isn't a huge deal for me, least I can chunk them back. Though I know there was at one point a few threads running prizes for cb blockers.

I would say if TJ makes another AP just for punted eggs I would hunt it, but if its in the normal Ap not a huge deal to me either, just throw back what I deem as useless or unwanted

I have hunted the AP for CB eggs. I have hunted the AP to help with my breeding plans.

Well... our "sample" is too small to reach conclusions but I'm assuming that many of us would be ok with more CBs in the AP. Someone like me would drop back lineaged eggs, lineage-hunters would drop back CBs. Those different behaviors should compensate each other. The ratios, assuming we (more or less) know how they work, would be quite more balanced on the medium and long term.

I do. It saves time, and also, if you misclick you have an instant fix rather than a 5 hour one. biggrin.gif

I was actually contemplating this idea and I wanna be devils advocate and agree. I would much rather see a separate AP for these punted CB eggs so that I know for a fact I am hunting through only CBs.

But I would HATE this. I also catch and examine AP eggs at the same time as I look for that elusive canopy xd.png and sometimes give up on that CB white (say) I was looking for if I pick up one of that breed with a fab lineage !

If the CBs were separate, I wouldn't bother going to their AP unless I were desperate. Nothing but commons is going to get punted anyway, so I can get those I need in the biomes and wait the 5 extra hours if I mess up. Less excitement, less fun if they are separated out.

If the AP were separated into punted CB and abandoned lineaged a couple bad things would happen. One is, the hoped for benefit of low time eggs mostly wouldn't happen. You see the AP right now with 6 day eggs. That's a mixture of abandoned bred eggs and CB that people have picked up for the sole purpose of getting them out of the way. They wouldn't do that if the cave automatically punted them. So take those out of the "lineaged" AP. 6 1/2 day eggs? Probably. And once the ratios sorted themselves out a little there wouldn't be that many punted eggs, so 6 1/2 day eggs there too probably.

Second, it divides the people who are hunting the AP into two. And fewer people would be likely to hunt the punted eggs because there would be zero chance of the occasional exciting find, such as the 2nd gen lunar from prize a friend found day before yesterday.

The very things that make this proposal inviting to a lot of people are compromised by the idea of separate abandoned places.

If the AP were separated into punted CB and abandoned lineaged a couple bad things would happen. One is, the hoped for benefit of low time eggs mostly wouldn't happen. You see the AP right now with 6 day eggs. That's a mixture of abandoned bred eggs and CB that people have picked up for the sole purpose of getting them out of the way. They wouldn't do that if the cave automatically punted them. So take those out of the "lineaged" AP. 6 1/2 day eggs? Probably. And once the ratios sorted themselves out a little there wouldn't be that many punted eggs, so 6 1/2 day eggs there too probably.

Second, it divides the people who are hunting the AP into two. And fewer people would be likely to hunt the punted eggs because there would be zero chance of the occasional exciting find, such as the 2nd gen lunar from prize a friend found day before yesterday.

The very things that make this proposal inviting to a lot of people are compromised by the idea of separate abandoned places.

How come you always say what I said so much better than I do ! xd.png

You are so right. I wouldn't BOTHER with a boring old punted CB AP unless I were truly DESPERATE for some particular CB. And I assume we could still find the CB eggs that people had caught and dumped in the regular AP - like the ones I've at times caught and then been offered a gift and dumped to be able to take it ? This "special" one would just be for the auto-punted ?

edited for rogue para break !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Well not everyone is hunting for the "occasional exciting find of a second gend" some are just hunting for a low time CB to hatch to add to the hoard.

While I see the point, part of the suggestion has also been tied in with the "stop adding a day to AP eggs" where we kind of want to also make it so that any eggs dumped or punted in the AP automatically drop to a time anywhere between 5-3 days to allow time for incubate and influence.

A separate AP does mean that attentions will definitely be divide but quite frankly I'm okay with that, I doubt users would completely ignore that AP, There would obviously be those who solely hunt the normal AP for lineages, those who hunt for lineages and the occasional CB (or vice versa) going between the two, and those who only hunt for CB in the other one.

Putting them in the same AP works as well, I'm just not a fan of having to pick up, check, toss back anything with a lineage, pick up, check again, just to find a CB. Yes there would be a high imbalance of CBs to lineages in the AP at first and that will be glorious but after that its gonna be a hell of a hassle to get anything good.

Edited by AnanoKimi

Guess I'm on necromancy-mode. Now that I (more or less) recovered from the disappointment on not having this (one of my favorites) and other suggestions implemented on the 10th birthday, I'm bumping it up.

Guess I'm on necromancy-mode. Now that I (more or less) recovered from the disappointment on not having this (one of my favorites) and other suggestions implemented on the 10th birthday, I'm bumping it up.

Well, at least we got the extra day removed? That's something!

But yea, I was gonna go looking for this if you hadn't. I still think it would be a fantastic idea. With a single AP, mind! And I think the lineage hunters are being over-concerned, myself. Once more CBs start turning up in the AP, more CB hunters will turn up to snag them. Myself, I prefer CB to lineaged, simply because I don't like working with other people's lineages.... its too easy for them to destroy my follow-up work.

Cheers!

C4.

Well, at least we got the extra day removed? That's something!

Agreed smile.gif

But yea, I was gonna go looking for this if you hadn't. I still think it would be a fantastic idea. With a single AP, mind! And I think the lineage hunters are being over-concerned, myself. Once more CBs start turning up in the AP, more CB hunters will turn up to snag them. Myself, I prefer CB to lineaged, simply because I don't like working with other people's lineages.... its too easy for them to destroy my follow-up work.

Cheers!

C4.

Agreeing again. I pick up CBs from the AP (lineaged ones only if they are BSA, hybrids or prizes) and would happily catch eggs that were intentionally (or not intentionally) "ignored" in the biomes. Guess that makes me a CB hunter smile.gif

I do tend to fish for 3rd gen checkers myself, but I would love to see more CBs. After I finish collecting all the frozen hatchlings I want, I'll definitely collext even more CBs from there.

I support this. The biome blockers would be grabbed more if they were low-time. Also, they sometimes hide rares, which would be a nice surprise if sent to the AP.