cyradis4

Send Biome Blockers to the AP

the 15 minute shuffle and the five minute kick ideas are great but you know how you could fix empty biomes?

every time a egg is taken or kicked a new egg is spawned so the biomes never empty

This might lead to unintended side effects, since the cave would likely produce a lot more eggs than it is right now without this mechanism. A (slightly) higher hourly drop production might be more appropriate if the cave proves to empty itself quickly under a punting system.

Edited by CNR4806

i couldn't help myself

user posted image(made it smaller to fit signatures if anyone wants to use it)

this should be number 1 on the suggestions to add

i really wanna see this enter the game because it would help with ratios and might finally bring CB golds and silver back to the realm of possibility to normal users

Edited by blockEdragon

This might lead to unintended side effects, since the cave would likely produce a lot more eggs than it is right now without this mechanism. A (slightly) higher hourly drop production might be more appropriate if the cave proves to empty itself quickly under a punting system.

We definitely would need an increase in Dropped eggs, if the biomes went dry! An empty Cave would suck for us, and also potentially discourage new players, if they happened onto the Cave for the first time or their first several times and found it empty.

TJ has increased Cave Drops before, so I dunno if that would be an issue, but that additional Time-Based Egg Slot idea of TJ's would help add room for more low-time AP eggs, and better-moving biomes with actual variety showing should REALLY help to increase site attendance, bring back hiatus players (certainly once word got out, or they came back for Holiday or regular Releases to discover this) and encourage more new people to join.

Also, if the Cave itself was taking over on at least some of the blocker removal, over time, fewer people would be wasting egg-spaces by manually CD-holding and hauling eggs to the AP, so the increase might not be quite as large as some might be imagining, not to mention the fact that if these blockers WERE being raised into the ratios, they would no longer be just endlessly regenerated every hourly to recycle and not so many would be over-produced, so the numbers moving to the AP should reduce over time, even though there would probably be always too many of some kind or another of something being produced for the player-base to cope with at full times.

The problem would at least - and at last - be dealt with, to at least some extent, on a player-responsive basis.

With any luck, even if on a gradual basis, hunting might become both fun and productive again for the average player. smile.gif

Edit: lol, was using the wrong tense in part of a sentence - wishful thinking, I suppose, lol. Bet I've still missed something! xd.png

Edited by Syphoneira

Didn't I already said that this suggestion is something I support? Like 100%? After spending sometime this evening refreshing and looking at the same cave blockers, can we make it 200%?

Didn't I already said that this suggestion is something I support? Like 100%? After spending sometime this evening refreshing and looking at the same cave blockers, can we make it 200%?

Lol, about all we can do is to keep it up front and hope for the best, because the Cave blocking (making hunting boring for everyone) and lack of variety appearing as a result, (especially regarding longer-term but not fast-connection players already having enough of all Commons to be getting on with and left with nothing visible to hunt for,) is really the most essential fix, considering how integral Cave hunting is to the game itself and virtually everyone playing the game.

Although I did snag a couple of unCommons last night and saw (but missed) a CB Silver, despite rather an annoying degree of lag, (and managed to swap for a dragon I'd been unable to catch for a friend,) which was extremely much better than the usual 'nothing to see here, nothing keeps moving on', lol.

Time to bump up this one since, in my opinion, would allow the biomes to move. And, as the new releases have shown, when the biomes move, we see, sometimes even catch, rares. biggrin.gif

Time to bump up this one since, in my opinion, would allow the biomes to move. And, as the new releases have shown, when the biomes move, we see, sometimes even catch, rares. biggrin.gif

I consider the current release and the moving Bioems as a result of said unusually timed release to be a brilliant proof that this would, in fact, fix both the biome moving problem and the "rares vanishing" problem. smile.gif

I hope TJ is keeping his eye on it....

Cheers!

C4.

Have never seen this topic before, and like, why haven't I?!

Really like this idea if I'm getting the full picture of it.

!00% Support biggrin.gif

i would love having lower time CB commons in the AP

plus the ratios would be much better with the AP being full of them, and personally I LOVE finding caveborns in the AP

Edited by blockEdragon

I would love this! How have I not given this my support before? I have no idea.

Full support; I'm not quite sure when the kicks should happen, but I wish something would. It's annoying as all get out that I've been playing since 2009 on-and-off but the rarest thing I've ever caught for myself is Golden Wyverns and Blusangs and Cheeses.

I fully support this! biggrin.gif It's well thought out and would do brilliantly to get the biomes moving and allow people to get more eggs! biggrin.gif Now that I'm trying to achieve the Gold Trophy I do more AP hunting than I do actual in-cave hunting and I've scrambled to pick up low-time CB eggs that I would've ignored in the actual cave itself. I'm sure I'm not the only one considering how FAST those babies can go! D:

Obviously many people have been AP hunting of late with the AP up to the highest time I've seen it in a long while, freaking 6 DAYS. E_E~ Obviously the AP is extremely popular! c:

Also it just makes plain good sense especially with the system actually erasing undesirables each shuffle and then doing the ratio calculating AGAIN and finding the ratios lacking and overproducing more all over again. E^e I did not know that! E^E That. Explains. So. MUCH. x.x

Why not just punt it out to the AP and let down a couple days so someone can go by and snap it up? :3 Easy peasy! Also I like the idea of kicking out an egg that sat for more than five minutes, and doing a regular shuffle at every 15 minutes. :3 <3 Allows both the schedule-loving people to show up and still see stuff at those predictable times, as well as people like me who always manage to be on SOMEHOW a bit too late for the shuffles and then seeing an unmoving wall. <.< Grrrr.

So its a brilliant compromise with something for everyone! biggrin.gif Full 200% support!!

I'm having quite a soporific time in the biomes. Nothing is moving. Please TJ, consider this suggestion.

My only problem with this is exactly what it's supposed to do-take eggs and put them into the AP. The reasoning is this: they're biome-blockers, whatever eggs they are. This means that people aren't picking them up because they don't want them. Well, if you move those eggs to the AP, what will happen? The AP will become overloaded by tons and tons of biome blockers; which of course, no one wants. To be perfectly honest, I don't see this as solving the issue. It just looks to me like the issue is being moved to a different place, and eventually there will be a thread that crops up full of people complaining that the AP is useless because it's full of biome-blockers. I go to the AP when I'm searching for dragons I can't find in the biomes, so if a bunch of dragons that are from the biomes are moved to the AP, the other eggs get buried by the biome blockers and there are no other dragons in the AP, because they're underneath rows and rows of eggs from the biomes; effectively making the AP near-to-completely useless.

Also, there's the issue with the lore; why would wild dragons(who make the eggs in the biomes) randomly pick up their eggs and throw them into the AP? The AP is the Abandoned Egg Pile, meaning that people(dragon tamers and breeders) who don't want their eggs or hatchlings abandon them there for adoption. It wouldn't make sense for a wild dragon to do this, unless maybe it was knocked into it by accident. I guess you could say some animal came too close to the eggs so they smell wrong, and the mother dragon decides they're no good anymore, but if that were so then all wild eggs would smell wrong, therefore they should all go to the AP(this lore problem is avoided with the current AP description: "Once an egg has been touched by a human, the human's scent rubs off onto the egg.", specifying that in only smells wrong if a human touches it).

Yes, the biomes move very, very slowly unless there's a new release going on. But while the biome blockers will be out of the biomes with this solution, they'll then "biome-block" the AP, which is just a transfer of the problem. I guess I could be more for this if there was a specific area for the moved eggs(say instead of being moved to the AP, they were moved to an area specific for CB Biome-blockers), but I think a much more successful solution to the problem is to just have the biomes cycle every five or ten minutes so that there are always new sets of eggs available; if there are still biome-blockers, then obviously that species of dragon is generating a lot, so even if you did move the eggs to the AP they would just generate more biome-blockers in their place.

All in all, no support. I think the side-effects of having this aren't worth its implementation.

My only problem with this is exactly what it's supposed to do-take eggs and put them into the AP. The reasoning is this: they're biome-blockers, whatever eggs they are. This means that people aren't picking them up because they don't want them. Well, if you move those eggs to the AP, what will happen? The AP will become overloaded by tons and tons of biome blockers; which of course, no one wants. To be perfectly honest, I don't see this as solving the issue. It just looks to me like the issue is being moved to a different place, and eventually there will be a thread that crops up full of people complaining that the AP is useless because it's full of biome-blockers. I go to the AP when I'm searching for dragons I can't find in the biomes, so if a bunch of dragons that are from the biomes are moved to the AP, the other eggs get buried by the biome blockers and there are no other dragons in the AP, because they're underneath rows and rows of eggs from the biomes; effectively making the AP near-to-completely useless.

Also, there's the issue with the lore; why would wild dragons(who make the eggs in the biomes) randomly pick up their eggs and throw them into the AP? The AP is the Abandoned Egg Pile, meaning that people(dragon tamers and breeders) who don't want their eggs or hatchlings abandon them there for adoption. It wouldn't make sense for a wild dragon to do this, unless maybe it was knocked into it by accident. I guess you could say some animal came too close to the eggs so they smell wrong, and the mother dragon decides they're no good anymore, but if that were so then all wild eggs would smell wrong, therefore they should all go to the AP(this lore problem is avoided with the current AP description: "Once an egg has been touched by a human, the human's scent rubs off onto the egg.", specifying that in only smells wrong if a human touches it).

Yes, the biomes move very, very slowly unless there's a new release going on. But while the biome blockers will be out of the biomes with this solution, they'll then "biome-block" the AP, which is just a transfer of the problem. I guess I could be more for this if there was a specific area for the moved eggs(say instead of being moved to the AP, they were moved to an area specific for CB Biome-blockers), but I think a much more successful solution to the problem is to just have the biomes cycle every five or ten minutes so that there are always new sets of eggs available; if there are still biome-blockers, then obviously that species of dragon is generating a lot, so even if you did move the eggs to the AP they would just generate more biome-blockers in their place.

All in all, no support. I think the side-effects of having this aren't worth its implementation.

The logic is also that of when holiday releases happen. AP will be so full of eggs that eventually they will reach a low time, a time low enough that regardless of them being a blocker or not, people will be more inclined to take something that hatches in a few hours instead of a few days.

Along with this, an idea has been tossed around about dropping the time of an egg from 7 days to possibly 5 days or 4 days somewhere in there to allow people time to incubate if wanted too and /or influence as well. Any egg below 5 days would remain at that time like an egg at 3 days 2 hours would drop into the AP that way instead of getting bumped up. Lower the time creates a more favorable hatching scenario where users can incuhatch allowing them to not only pick up blockers they may want but not waste their time on, and help with ratios by making blockers favorable to some degree.

A more valid argument people have been posing is that lineage hunting may be difficult if this is applied. I think this is the only time I can condone the possibility of a separate AP where Cave dumped eggs are sent to a specific separate AP and user sent eggs remain in the usual AP. This would allow for normal AP hunting while those seeking CB dumped by the cave can have their own place to hunt peacefully without having to sift through and ensure they are CB. I feel the concept of lowering the time to 5-4 Days should apply to both APs and not just the Cave Dump AP.

Lore wise it can be that females are overburdened with eggs that wont hatch in limited nesting place, so they bump aside unfavorable eggs in place of fresh eggs. Or even that jelous females push out eggs in an attempt to steal nesting spots resulting in abandoned eggs from the cave that are not user abandoned. The game and the lore don't entirely match up so having a game feature here that doesn't 100 percent tie in to the lore isn't a big set back. There are many features and quirks done here that contradict with the lore. Like us raising dragons at all. Supposedly the lore states dragons are highly intelligent and even have a religion but here we are weak humans raising these presumably intelligent beings. Like that doesn't make sense.

Hi, skwerl56767,

the point of this Suggestion stems from the combination of the fact that there are way too many of some Commons in the Biomes, which nobody wants and which block the Cave

and the fact that eggs Dropped into the AP roll in and come up from the bottom and generally come up at a much lower time, which makes them more desirable.

(It's always the oldest AP eggs on the bottom and the youngest on the top of the AP except at Holidays, since Holiday eggs land on top, if there's no Holiday egg Wall already or behind the older layer(s) of Holidays, according to their age. Biome eggs would not block anyone off from the upper levels of younger eggs.)

People won't take full-time Common eggs - which take up egg-spaces for two full days even when Incubated - when they already have enough of that dragon.

Once they reach Incuhatchable stage, though, they're snapped up like hotcakes, because they don't take up egg spaces, once Incubated and ERed, and we have more hatchy spaces than egg-only spaces.

Low-timers always get picked up and kept by somebody, even if messy and for Freezing.

But the biomes have been generally boring for years; when they move, so that people are actually hunting through passing eggs, it's fun, but refreshing on the same eggs between 5 minute shuffles for hours is so boring that people often don't bother, while others tend to try to just stop in around the shuffle-time.

The eggs roll off the biome pile into the AP when new eggs are shoved out, rejected by their mothers because they smell of human. There's only so much room on the Cave ledge.

If people pick up and raise the unwanted biome Commons later, as low-timers in the AP, so that they count into the ratios, the ratios come closer to filling, helping to unclog the biomes and enable more dragon variety to show in the biomes.

If the biome eggs are untaken, at the hourly, they're deleted and regenerated with a new code, to reappear endlessly, over and over and things never improve. This would help - and we've been begging for it for years.

I'd say I explained why this wouldn't just "move the problem" in the first post, but I'll be even more explicite here:

I, personally, collect CBs of everything.

I, personally, will NOT take 99% of CBs from the Cave, and cost myself a valuable egg slot.

I, personally, am *delighted* to take incu-hatchable (or better!) eggs from the AP. Especially CBs.

There is a HUGE subset of the player base who thinks exactly as I do.

Right now, the AP is quite high-timed, and I personally am NOT hunting it. I have my own lineages to work on. But if the AP was at 5 days or less, I'd be hunting it.... and KEEPING those "unwanted" commons. There are many breeds I don't like, but I'll keep anything that is a CB hatchie.

So I am proof positive that this WOULD work. Actually, the response of the AP whenever the eggs in it drop below 4 days (like in the aftermath of the Holiday wall!) is proof positive that this *would* work. In fact, its been proven time and time again that even the worst messies find homes..... IF they hit the AP as low time eggs.

So. As there are multiple proofs over the last two years and more that this *would* work, I have to disagree with you about it just "moving the problem".

The key, to this suggestion, is the change in how people behave with low-time eggs. 4 CB high-time blocker eggs are worthless. 4 CB blocker hatchies are worth a bred rare.... at minimum.

Cheers!

C4.

I'd say I explained why this wouldn't just "move the problem" in the first post, but I'll be even more explicite here:

I, personally, collect CBs of everything.

I, personally, will NOT take 99% of CBs from the Cave, and cost myself a valuable egg slot.

I, personally, am *delighted* to take incu-hatchable (or better!) eggs from the AP. Especially CBs.

There is a HUGE subset of the player base who thinks exactly as I do.

Right now, the AP is quite high-timed, and I personally am NOT hunting it. I have my own lineages to work on. But if the AP was at 5 days or less, I'd be hunting it.... and KEEPING those "unwanted" commons. There are many breeds I don't like, but I'll keep anything that is a CB hatchie.

So I am proof positive that this WOULD work. Actually, the response of the AP whenever the eggs in it drop below 4 days (like in the aftermath of the Holiday wall!) is proof positive that this *would* work. In fact, its been proven time and time again that even the worst messies find homes..... IF they hit the AP as low time eggs.

So. As there are multiple proofs over the last two years and more that this *would* work, I have to disagree with you about it just "moving the problem".

The key, to this suggestion, is the change in how people behave with low-time eggs. 4 CB high-time blocker eggs are worthless. 4 CB blocker hatchies are worth a bred rare.... at minimum.

Cheers!

C4.

Thank you Syphoneira and cyradis4: I knew that you could explain the subject quite better than I would.

I would like to add that, while usually I keep only low-time eggs or hatchies from the AP, the AP is also an awesome hunting place when I know that I've only a couple of hours or less available. If that is the case, I pick up and keep CBs from the AP, even if they have 6 days left. I keep doing that until I've 5 eggs and I proceed to drop the least interesting one before I catch the next one. That would not be possible if I was hunting in the biomes, I would have to wait 5 hours. Furthermore, when my fun-time is over, I know that I can put the AP eggs in one hatchery without risking too much. If I find the time to go back to the AP or the biomes before they hatch, well they are easily replaceable. If not, I've a few more hatchies in my scroll without too much effort.

Long story short: there are so many good reasons to hunt in the AP, and there are quite a few advantages over hunting in the biomes.

Edited by NotBambi

I still personally think it won't help the problem immensely, if it does at all. Your arguments are convincing, but I'm still not interested in this idea(and the lore isn't the only motivating factor, you know). If TJ will do it and it works, fine, but otherwise I could care less.

It has been proven that low-time eggs are snatched. I personally don't care about the time; if it's nice, I'll keep it, if not, I'll put it back, regardless of whether it's a 7 day biome egg or a 4 day AP egg; but many, many players do. There would be no moving of the problem - AP eggs simply will not sit and die. Syphoneira and Cyradis4 both pointed this out very convincingly, I think.

The only problem I see with this suggestion, in ANY way, is the lore. As skwerl pointed out - why would WILD eggs, that were fine and dandy in the Biomes a minute ago - suddenly become human-smelling?

Well, I have an answer for that! biggrin.gif

In the Biomes, it tells you that some eggs are close enough that you could take one. Many people hunt in these biomes. I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine that someone in those biomes - perhaps you, perhaps another user, or maybe someone who hasn't picked up a scroll yet, as there must be other humans than scroll-owners on Valkemare - brushed just a little too close to one of these eggs. Perhaps they picked it up to look closer. Maybe they nudged it as they grabbed for a different egg. Who knows?

But there are definitely humans around in those biomes, and it it NOT unreasonable to think that someone could have touched a biome egg. Once touched, a dragon will simply roll it away.

Of course, there is then the problem of the eggs getting to the AP, but who says there isn't some kind of little network of nudges and rolls between dragon nests that moves the nasty-smelling eggs away and to the AP? Or perhaps there are some irresponsible humans that just grab the cool-looking eggs and get bored in two seconds, dropping them in the AP for someone else to take.

Since this little theory could never be put in full onto the site, what I suggest to represent it is this.

When you try to grab an egg that has been moved to the AP, you get this message:

"You tried to grab the egg, but a dragon gets there first, rolling it away. Seems like that egg already smelled bad!"

Possibly with a more helpful description of what happened underneath. ("This egg has been moved to the Abandoned Page.")

I just wrote a little story that nobody can ever really use, and it makes me kinda sad. I'm going to play an online game now~

"You tried to grab the egg, but a dragon gets there first, rolling it away. Seems like that egg already smelled bad!"

LOL The "bad smell" concept is quite funny smile.gif

LOL The "bad smell" concept is quite funny smile.gif

yea it ties up most loose ends

a line of text could be added to the AP about irresponsible humans picking up eggs and getting bored a minute later like said above

[Lore stuff]

To me, the priority of the consideration is as follows:

Critical gameplay elements > Quality of Life = Lore > Fluff features

In the most extreme example, if we're all-lore-first, we won't be hatching eggs in 2~3 days and definitely won't be raising hatchlings to adults in 3 days. You'd be long dead before you have your first adult in some cases.

Right now, the destruction of CB eggs at the hour's end is actively breaking the game by screwing up ratios. As a potential solution to one of the game's biggest problems right now, fitting the lore should be an afterthought, not a consideration for whether to implement it.

As to this supposedly "won't be helping anything" and supposedly "transferring the problem to the AP", both have been discussed to death in the last 17 pages so I won't bother beating the dead horse.

In the most extreme example, if we're all-lore-first, we won't be hatching eggs in 2~3 days and definitely won't be raising hatchlings to adults in 3 days. You'd be long dead before you have your first adult in some cases.

Right now, the destruction of CB eggs at the hour's end is actively breaking the game by screwing up ratios. As a potential solution to one of the game's biggest problems right now, fitting the lore should be an afterthought, not a consideration for whether to implement it.

Agree. I am one of those evil players who only looks at the lore at all when it much affect breeding etc.

As to this supposedly "won't be helping anything" and supposedly "transferring the problem to the AP", both have been discussed to death in the last 17 pages so I won't bother beating the dead horse.

Agreed.

And the lore for this is pretty simple, as was already outlined.

Or even simpler still, as this is a TIME based mechanism:

"This egg has picked up too much scent of humans over time, from them wandering past it. The mother has rejected it."

So instead of careless humans, it was the fact that it was stuck where humans could see it for too long that did it.

Cheers!

C4.