angelicdragonpuppy

Remove GoN Breed Limits

If there is a new limit, it will be - what - six months - before we get another thread like this....

If there is a new limit, it will be - what - six months - before we get another thread like this....

I guess that would indeed be the case. But guess people would refer to this thread to end the discussion?

If it was decided to have a limit, I think a limit of 5 would be ideal: 2 adults, 2 gendered hatchlings, 1 ungendered hatchling.

Still, with something so rare, why have a limit at all? Granted I haven't been summoning that long and of course I don't have a GoN yet, but I wouldn't mind keep on summoning. It's all part of the game, just like the splash thing.

If there is to be a limit, I want one ungendered hatchie, 2 gendered ones, and 2 adults. So, in my opinion, the limit shouldn't be less than 5.

But I still don't see why there should be a limit. All I can see are arguments in this thread like "I haven't got my GoN's yet, so nobody else can have any more of them!" ...

Fuzzbucket: So we shouldn't have a new limit, just because people will continue to want higher limits? I highly doubt there would be another thread anyway. All a lot of people want are a full set of frozen hatchies and adults, which we currently can't get. After that I wouldn't bother summoning, anyway, whether there were limits or not.

Edited by TheGrox

Oh man, that would be amazing. xd.png

Totally would never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.

We could get two of those, and use those to summon a Guardian of Guardians of Guardians of Nature.

That's epic xd.png Note that it would be called GoGoGoN tongue.gif

I've just thought about the 5-GoN limit again...and it would probably make more sense if influence worked perfectly on GoNs. Unless it does already?

Because it'd be sad to get wrong genders when one were aiming for a full set, and a full set is what some people explain the need of the limit to be raised with.

I thought influence did work on GoNs? I'm sure I influenced my second and it turned out the gender I wanted ... I think I did, anyway?

Forget about the Pokemon connection.

Move past the 'I don't have one yet, so you can't have more' syndrome.

And we're left with 'it doesn't matter to me'.

A GoN is just another unbreedable rare. It does nothing for you, you can't do anything with it, and it isn't tradeable.. so all it does is sit on your scroll and look pretty. Just like ANY OTHER unbreedable rare; which does NOT have limits, but can be traded. So why should there be a limit on the GoNs, when they aren't even good as trade bait?

There is a limit because it's part of how this game is constructed? We seems to forget that there is always a game structure that players adhere to. Off late however, players have been picking apart this game in various ways, some to suit their playstyle, some, because they cannot obtain something, some, because .. well, just because.

I'd say it's a symptom of us being bored, obviously we need a new release to keep us busy /evilgrin

Also, that prize teleport thing in your sig is an awesome idea and I may copy it!

My gut reaction to this is that I don't approve to an unlimited amount. I feel like GoNs should be a limited breed... Either to 2 or 5 (for the sprite collecting).

I won't get into the debate because I'm not sure exactly why I feel this way or what my reasoning is. *shrugs* Just throwing my opinion into the pot.

Fuzzbucket: So we shouldn't have a new limit, just because people will continue to want higher limits? I highly doubt there would be another thread anyway. All a lot of people want are a full set of frozen hatchies and adults, which we currently can't get. After that I wouldn't bother summoning, anyway, whether there were limits or not.

I didn't say there was a should. I just said if a new limit is set, it won't be long before someone wants it raised. (Someone already said they wanted an army of them xd.png) After all - people collect loads of other unbreedables - I am fond of papers, myself.

I don't mind one way or the other. I was just amused.... But if raising the limit did affect the chances of other people who have none yet to get them - as in lowered the chances all round - I'd be against it. Because that would be terribly hard on them. As one of those OMG it took me almost 3 years people, my heart would bleed for anyone who had even less of a chance than I had when I FINALLY got one - and I have a lot of legendaries..

I believe influence does work normally on them, to address someone else. The people I know who have two used it successfully.

I thought influence did work on GoNs? I'm sure I influenced my second and it turned out the gender I wanted ... I think I did, anyway?

Influence works on them, but influence doesn't give a 100% guarantee, at least by me some hatchies got the opposite gender even though I had influenced them. x3

What I meant is 100% influence if the limit is raised to five for a full set. So that people can actually GET that full set and not end up with, idk, four males if they are not lucky enough xd.png

Honestly I don't like the idea of removing the limit. They seem special to me, just like the Holiday Dragons and such. I think there should be a limit, but it would be nice if it were raised.

Edited by ZzelaBusya

Influence works fine.

As someone who likes to collect both gender adults as well as hatchies, I am still ambivalent about raising the limit, The first time I summoned, I was so shocked at finally succeeding, that my thought was more along the line of "that isn't the usual fail message." It took a while to sink in. When I eventually did get the second, my main reaction was relief that I would never have to deal with it again. I am not sure I want that misery any more.

I personally am for a complete removal of the limit. Unless you are insanely lucky, the chances of you getting an "army" of them are so low that it shouldn't really be considered a factor. As some people have pointed out, there are people who have been summoning from the beginning who still do not have a single one. That does not sound like the formula for building an army. I myself only have one, I got it about a year after the release, and haven't had any luck getting a second.

If the threat of an army is so unwanted, no matter how unlikely it would be to happen, maybe different tiers of luck? Meaning that if you have five or less, you would have regular chances of getting one. After five though, the chances decrease, though remain the same level until you get up to ten, then it decreases again at fifteen, and so on until it becomes near impossible to get one. It would still be theoretically possible to get one past a certain point, though the chances would be so low that I suspect most wouldn't even try.

Edited by Nectaris

My issue is with the law of averages. Summoning doesn't have to be dictated by ratios to make raising the limit problematic. Law of averages says that there will only be a specific number that will be successful based on luck of the draw during a set time frame. The larger the number of people attempting the action, the smaller chance that you have of being successful. The original hope was that as people topped out with their two, the reminding people would stand a better chance because there was less competition so the law of averages would shift more into their favor. Removing the limit or increasing it, puts the people who are still trying after three years back at a greater disadvantage as those who have already proven to have superior luck rejoin the hunt.

I'm sorry, but... that's not how statistics works.

If there's no ratio involved and the chances are indepedent, pure chance, then it doesn't matter how many people are attempting something. It's not like the lottery where you can only have so many "winners".

If there's a 1% chance for something to happen, and 100 people try it, statistically, 1 person will get it, on average. If 200 people try it, 2 people will get it. If 1000 people do it, 10 will succeed. (That's all on average, mind you.)

I looked at this topic, realized I could summon, and got my 2nd GoN....

Anyway, I personally have no problem with a two dragon limit. They can't be traded or bred, so I don't see a reason for more than two.

Anyway, I personally have no problem with a two dragon limit. They can't be traded or bred, so I don't see a reason for more than two.

One reason is people like to collect a full set of sprites as their play-style, even if there isn't dimorphism. Personally, I'd like at least 3 for my goals, but 5 would be better since it allows for more goals to be reached.

Personally, I keep seeing the "PLEASE NO I DON'T WANT TO BE TORMENTED BY TRYING TO GET MORE" thing cropping up.

Er... So, can you tell me who's holding the gun to your head forcing you to summon each week? Just because there is a limit increase doesn't mean you have to try for more if you don't want to deal with the "hassle".

Which I don't get at all, either. It's a simple matter of hitting button every 2 weeks and hoping you get lucky. If you fail, it's not like there's a consequence besides waiting another 2 weeks. I got mine after irregularly summoning for a while, and I haven't bothered to go for a second yet because I can't decide if I want another adult or if I want a frozen hatchling--and which stage I want if I freeze.

I see people who gave up before getting two who don't want to have upped limits because they couldn't even be get 2. If you gave up before 2, why would an increase in the limits change how you play at all?

Personally, I keep seeing the "PLEASE NO I DON'T WANT TO BE TORMENTED BY TRYING TO GET MORE" thing cropping up.

Which I don't get at all, either. It's a simple matter of hitting button every 2 weeks and hoping you get lucky. If you fail, it's not like there's a consequence besides waiting another 2 weeks.

Oh, that's easy to answer. If I can have more and get s1 and s1 hatchies, then I must. Just the same as I must have s1 and s2 vines or whatever. (Must being a personal thing, of course) And it isn't whether or not it's hard to push buttons, it's the repeated failure for months on end. I have better luck fighting the hordes for CB metals. I really dislike failure.

I like having a cap; it gives a goal, or a ceiling to aim for. IMO, it makes them more special, but I can see how people would disagree with that. Otherwise, it seems like constantly pressing a button and hoping you get lucky, forever, while with a limit there is an end in sight.

To be honest?

I like the idea of having no ceiling to aim for. To be able to push that button for as long as I play the game and see what comes of it.

I have my two GoNs. I have my two of each holiday so far. I can no longer talk on the holiday event threads showing people the cool things I've caught, just as I can no longer go to the summon thread to discuss my most recent success/failure.

I kinda miss the feeling that came from getting comfort from everyone else who had also summonfailed, knowing that I was in their boat and that we had failure in common. Now...I have my two. I can't talk about it any more. That's a whole other part of the community shut off from me.

Oh, that's easy to answer. If I can have more and get s1 and s1 hatchies, then I must. Just the same as I must have s1 and s2 vines or whatever. (Must being a personal thing, of course) And it isn't whether or not it's hard to push buttons, it's the repeated failure for months on end. I have better luck fighting the hordes for CB metals. I really dislike failure.

So... The rest of us need to be forced to have a limit because you don't have any self-control when it comes to the game?

I get that it can be discouraging to fail a lot, but I guess to me it just seems kinda pointless to get worked up about failing to get a GoN--it's not like you'll never get one if you keep trying regularly. But that's just me.

So... The rest of us need to be forced to have a limit because you don't have any self-control when it comes to the game?

I get that it can be discouraging to fail a lot, but I guess to me it just seems kinda pointless to get worked up about failing to get a GoN--it's not like you'll never get one if you keep trying regularly. But that's just me.

You are taking me way too seriously. (And I did say I was ambivalent). For the most part, whatever happens in this game happens and I roll with it. I don't complain about changes, or not winning prizes (given I have never won a game of chance IRL, I don't expect to in an online game either.) I've never even won a bingo game.

So anyway, I have no desire to force anything on anyone else. I dont recall saying I did. tongue.gif Nor did I get worked up about the many times I failed to summon. It was merely a great relief to have it done.

Oops, my bad. Tone carries so badly in text, and I seem to have completely missed your post saying you were ambivalent. My bad!

If the creator of the GoNs wants them limited, then let them stay limited (although I still hope they'd agree to a slight increase, like up to five, especially if Holiday limits are ever raised as well, for the sake of a full set collection).

If a successful summon decreases the chance of someone else summoning one, then let them stay limited.

However, if neither of the above are a factor, then I see no good reason they should be limited. The whole "I don't want the stress of being able to get more so no one should be able to" thing does not sit well at all with me. You can always choose to limit yourself and not get more. You should have the self-control to not stress yourself out by pushing a button if you don't want to deal with pushing said button, rather then forcing everyone else to be limited just so you can avoid the temptation.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I think a limit should be kept - but that it should be raised - perhaps no more than 5 on a scroll.

I've noticed there are several common ways of collecting Dragons - the most common seem to be owning a Male, Female, and Frozen of each breed.

With a limit of 5 - this allows players to get any combination they want;

5 adults

4 adults and 1 frozen s2

2 adults, 2 frozen s2, 1 frozen s1

The list goes on for possible combinations - but these are just some of the more common ones I've seen.

I could agree with this, largely because I want to collect all the stages of the GoN.

While the breed is a joke on Lugia, the breed's description calls it highly adaptable (I should know, I helped Iarsma write it way back when), so it makes sense that you'd be able to at least acquire five.

I also don't see how being able to summon more makes it any less of a spoof on Lugia. The joke is in the origin of the breed's creation, not the breed itself. True joke dragons are those like Dracopancakes' pancakes, or Missingno--even the Leetle Trees are a joke "breed".

Edit: Momo, the spriter, never had any hand in setting a limit, as far as I'm aware. But if you want her input I can hop on Tumblr and shoot her a message?

Edited by Kila

'Why not' indeed. If it doesn't affect ratios in any way, I have no problem at all with people owning 3, 5, or 9 GoNs.

Only issue would be the inevitable user bragging about their 17th summon to those who don't have any, but that can easily be solved with blunt objects.