lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

Yeh I hear you, I don't have any CB Springs either so it really will be interesting to see what transpires around March 21.

I STILL reflex-click on Blacks and Stripes, and Seasonals. Whadya wanna bet that the DAY it turns Spring, the Seasonals disappear like they did when it went from Autumn to Winter? People will be dashing around desperately offering to trade CB metals for a seasonal the way they were earlier this year.

Please, no! Spring are the only cb seasonals I miss, and the past year I they were so rare I wasn't able to get a single one and people were trading golds for them.

Seeing how winters are common in these days I really fear about next month ninja.gif

Don't worry too much. They'll be super-popular at first, just like every new or seasonal dragon, but I think there'll be plenty to go around. (I've got all the pairs I need, though, Iside, so if I snag any in the first few days I'd be happy to give you a couple!)

Edit: Relatedly, I think when it comes to trades, patience is a virtue. I wait on all the new releases except for the Halloweens, and I only go wild for them because I can trade for as many CBs as I can fit on my scroll.

Edited by Kishing

they were so rare I wasn't able to get a single one and people were trading golds for them.

I distantly recall actual CB metal <-> CB spring trades... *shudder* I got pretty lucky trading for the two that I did get (well, it was more diligent Trading section haunting paying off, but it sure feels lucky in retrospect).

@Kishing: I hope you're right. xd.png

Edited by pinkgothic

I don't have any CB Springs either - I managed to miss Spring for pretty much the last 3 years blink.gif. But I may wait until the rush to get them tp begin with is over before starting to collect them. I (only) want 10 CB's to get similar numbers as all my other Seasonals... I do hope I don't have to trade metals for them. :|

I have two CB springs.

But what gets me, is I have a CB Black, CB Neb, and CB Red, and no way to trade them. No one is asking for them, when before, they would be hot. And it seems all the trades are CB, with a few 3rd gens here and there. And even those are asking for CB metals and Shimmers.

There's even a 3rd gen shimmer where they are asking for CB mtals and a 2nd gen tinsel, which is near impossibility for most everyone.

Sigh. What if you just want some nice 2nd gen metals? My eggs before this would have been more than sufficient. Now, they are garbage. I'm debating just AP'ing them, as they seem useless.

I don't have any CB Springs either - I managed to miss Spring for pretty much the last 3 years blink.gif. But I may wait until the rush to get them tp begin with is over before starting to collect them. I (only) want 10 CB's to get similar numbers as all my other Seasonals... I do hope I don't have to trade metals for them. :|

I've only a few cb springs, I've missed most of them for the past 2 years

God I wish I could stop reflex-clicking Blacks, Winters, Stripes and the like - those breeds which, a few days ago were valuable are now chopped liver. I'm offering 15 CB eggs/hatchies (Blusang, Ice, Magma, GW, Stripes, Blacks, WInters, Nebulas) - that's FIFTEEN - as in ten plus five AND a 3gen even Silver hatchie and STILL can't get a CB Metal or place on a SHimmer list. I'd throw in the two silver Tinsel hatchies on my hub's scroll and the three Bronze Tinsel hatchies on my Scroll, but I'm sure that would be as fruitless.

Then I see posts in the Trade section saying that someone has ten CB metals to offer for a SHimmer.

GAWD.

Uh, that is really no fun anymore. I think maybe I should make a break until this madness is over. 10 CB metals for one shimmer, and I'd be glad to have 1 CB gold to complete my scroll. I must confess it is not easy any more to not be jelaous sad.gif And I don't like that I'm feeling this way about a game.

Edited by Varnayrah

I feel your pain!! It IS really really hard not to be envious and covetous and all manner of petty when you've been in every drop, refreshing like a mad thing, getting the same nothing, then see people with the ten metals and four golds and four silvers. Leaves a really nasty taste in your mind. Also makes you feel like a rotten excuse for a human being for not being able to snag a single one.

Then the other side of the record is gonna flip over and there won't be CB metals dropping at ALL - again - to go along with the not being able to even breed any - again.

WHY CAN"T THE RATIOS BE MORE EVENED OUT???????

Uh, that is really no fun anymore. I think maybe I should make a break until this madness is over. 10 CB metals for one shimmer, and I'd be glad to have 1 CB gold to complete my scroll. I must confess it is not easy any more to not be jelaous sad.gif And I don't like that I'm feeling this way about a game.

Same here. A game is supposed to be fun, and I'm just frustrated at this point. Even if I do see a metal, clicking is in vain when my internet is this slow and there are 100 people in one biome. Pointless to try, really. I'll just give up and save my sanity. At least I have a couple CB metals that I snagged last year. Maybe my time will come again some other day. Best of luck to those who are still trying.

Yeah, it's pretty odd, no one wants CB blacks or stripes or seasonals anymore. No one's even interested in breeding 4th or 5th-gen tinsels for a group of them now. I think the DC trading market is more fragile than most real-world markets because only a very small percentage of DC players actually use the trading forum here, so even a small increase in a breed's overall supply fills up the needs of the forum trading community. A long time ago during the metal breeding glitch, you couldn't even trade 2nd-gen silvers. Everyone who used the forums simply already had their fill.

It's times like these that I wish there was an in-cave marketplace. I *know* there are lots of other non-forum players out there who would still like to trade for CB blacks and stripes, or ordinary-lineaged 4th-gen gold eggs. :-)

Honestly, I don't think it's that "no one" wants blacks or etc anymore, it's that the ones who want them have gotten frustrated at seeing nothing but people demanding shimmers for everything and stopped looking at the trading threads. tongue.gif

(At least, I know I do and I have. I'm sure I'm not the only one.)

Personally, I actually find it really rude to put up these trades asking for only 2nd gen prize dragons. It comes across to me not only as harassing the prize winners, but doing so publicly as well as flaunting all the shinies that nobody else can have because of that. blink.gif No offense...

I think over evaluation is common when you're new to trading. You're not aware that a CB Red and and CB Pink will not gain you a CB Gold. As you trade you learn the values more and, hopefully, make trades because you are asking for equal value in return rather than looking to your wishlist and asking for something that isn't going to be taken as a serious trade offer.

Yeah, it's pretty odd, no one wants CB blacks or stripes or seasonals anymore. No one's even interested in breeding 4th or 5th-gen tinsels for a group of them now. I think the DC trading market is more fragile than most real-world markets because only a very small percentage of DC players actually use the trading forum here, so even a small increase in a breed's overall supply fills up the needs of the forum trading community. A long time ago during the metal breeding glitch, you couldn't even trade 2nd-gen silvers. Everyone who used the forums simply already had their fill.

It's times like these that I wish there was an in-cave marketplace. I *know* there are lots of other non-forum players out there who would still like to trade for CB blacks and stripes, or ordinary-lineaged 4th-gen gold eggs. :-)

I've actually tried breeding my tinsels and metallics yesterday, they all didn't produce any tinsel/metal eggs. Even my CB Stripe pairs refused to give an egg. I wonder if that's also true for other cavers. It's so weird, specially now that CB Blacks, Stripes, Trios are dropping like mad. And we can't even trade them cause nobody is trading their CB Metals (which is also dropping more frequently than before) for multiple CB uncommons.

I also agree on the bolded part. Many times, I've tried to look for other avenues where to trade cause in the trading forums here, everybody is looking for Shimmers. Also, maybe other users have quit or something, cause it's the same people who are trading their tinsels.

Edited by Eldrene

Honestly, I don't think it's that "no one" wants blacks or etc anymore, it's that the ones who want them have gotten frustrated at seeing nothing but people demanding shimmers for everything and stopped looking at the trading threads. tongue.gif

(At least, I know I do and I have. I'm sure I'm not the only one.)

Personally, I actually find it really rude to put up these trades asking for only 2nd gen prize dragons. It comes across to me not only as harassing the prize winners, but doing so publicly as well as flaunting all the shinies that nobody else can have because of that. blink.gif No offense...

Yep 'Just SEE how many CB Metals I was able to get, now Imuh go offer ten of them for a Shimmer that YOU, you low-life no-CB-Metal haver can't have. And I'm gonna drive the price up so high that there are only two or three people able to afford it.

For the past three days I've been offering quite a number of really good eggs for trade. I get offered more Winters and Blacks - or nothing. Just - arg.

Personally, I do feel that the trading element of this game is a lot less fun than it was a couple of years ago. For one thing, the number of people trading on the forums is a lot smaller than it once was, and when the market gets too small, your trading options get really limited. But for another thing, there just are not a lot of lively trade routes going on right now. At the very top of the market, it's possible to trade CB metals, low-gen shimmers, and 2nd-gen tinsels. And it's still possible to trade ND's for one of those top-value goods. But other than that, all there is to do right now is trade 2nd-gen metals for other 2nd-gen metals, CB uncommons for other CB uncommons, and tinsel lineages for other tinsel lineages. There's almost no crossover between those categories. No matter how many CB blacks you have, you can't get a 2nd-gen gold for it. No matter how many 2nd-gen golds you have, you can't get a 2nd-gen tinsel or CB gold for it. It makes the trading game really dull, compared to a year and a half ago when you could almost always catch a CB stripe and trade it for a bred gold or vice versa, or collect enough CB uncommons to afford a tinsel.

I think an in-game marketplace would help a lot. I also think another route to acquiring medium-value eggs would be good, because right now there's just "catch CB uncommons" and "breed low-gen metals," and it's hard to even trade one for the other. The top traders have "catch CB metals," "make NDs," "own a super-rare prize and breed it," and "own a spriter's alt and breed it," so they're still having fun trading amongst themselves. There are just not as many possibilities of trading enjoyment for the "middle class," so to speak. A while ago I suggested a racing minigame for whiptails; that would turn breeding racing champions into a way of acquiring a quality medium-value egg. I'm sure TJ could think of a dozen other ideas with similar effects. Maybe it would be worth experimenting with.

I've actually tried breeding my tinsels and metallics yesterday, they all didn't produce any tinsel/metal eggs. Even my CB Stripe pairs refused to give an egg. I wonder if that's also true for other cavers. It's so weird, specially now that CB Blacks, Stripes, Trios are dropping like mad. And we can't even trade them cause nobody is trading their CB Metals (which is also dropping more frequently than before) for multiple CB uncommons.

I also agree on the bolded part. Many times, I've tried to look for other avenues where to trade cause in the trading forums here, everybody is looking for Shimmers. Also, maybe other users have quit or something, cause it's the same people who are trading their tinsels.

Yes, I also tried breeding most of my 'major' dragons, my metals and tinsels, the Trio, blacks, reds, Pinks, Stripes, Nebulas NONE of those gave me an egg. NONE. Just to test, I bred a really dog-lined minor with some inbred something - bingo! Got an egg. Now how the HELL are you supposed to be able to GET trade fodder if:

- You have no hope of catching a CB Metal, and CB Metals are the only currency around?

- Your 'good' dragons don't give you any egg at all, let alone the 'rare or metal' one?

- Even CB versions of Ice and Magma and Blusang won't get you a CB Metal?

Some of it is people don't realize how finite the number of shimmers is right now. If there are only 2 shimmer eggs up for trade, being one of 20 offering cb metals means nothing. And don't seem to be taking into account that the shimmer owners themselves may be catching cb metals. It doesn't do much good to offer 10 cb metal eggs when the person literally can't take them. Once things start going low time and becoming hatchies, then you'll probably see trading relax a bit.

Other than that, enjoy the surplus and catch eggies for new projects biggrin.gif

or old... http://dragcave.net/lineage/l9LcJ

Of course, in my opinion, the real issue is that there isn't actually any sort of currency, and probably will never be. At least with a real currency, someone can sell uncommons and hope to save up for something good.

I'll just stick to gifting, methinks. smile.gif

I also think another route to acquiring medium-value eggs would be good, because right now there's just "catch CB uncommons" and "breed low-gen metals," and it's hard to even trade one for the other. The top traders have "catch CB metals," "make NDs," "own a super-rare prize and breed it," and "own a spriter's alt and breed it," so they're still having fun trading amongst themselves.

That's unfortunately true. :/ I myself want other colors of Shimmer/spriters alt eggs/low gen Tinsels, and probably will use my own Shimmer in turn.

That said, though, that still guarantee my trades will go through since the other Shimmer and spriter alt owners are swamped with requests themselves. And I've seen some amazing lineaged eggs (like this, this, and this) that I'd love to own some day over CB metals since I already catch those myself for the most part.

So - it's hard to say.

I find this discussion funny because it seems centered around metallics. I rarely ever trade because either it took me days, or I ended up keeping what I offered.

I tried to trade this dragon (which, as you can see, grew up on my scroll) for 2 or 3 CB terraes. Not hatchlings, not a load, only a couple of freshly caught CB terraes which people have considered pests for months. Only offer was another tinsel with a longer lineage of one I already had, it wasn't accepted because I happened to have a 4th gen of that very line and was not interested in an 8th or 9th gen (don't remember).

Ok, it is a 6th gen tinsel, from a not so rare line, not a CB metallic. The fact is, trading is dull, and boring, and annoying, and the problem is there are two types of eggs, metallics and everything else, and everything else has no trading value, not even in exchange for commons. People want to trade multiple commons, or multiple uncommons for metallics and low gen tinsels and shimmers, not for a 6th gen tinsel.

The problem is not on the people hunting for metallics. They do what they do because there are people willing to pay. It works the same way RL economics work. Houses, for example, are not as expensive to build as they are sold. They are sold as such prohibitive prices because people are willing to pay for it. If people thought 6 common hatchies was an outrageous price to pay for a CB silver, metallic hunters would not be so picky in trades.

And the market would be more dynamic if more people took into consideration what a work it takes to build lineages like this one, and not "it's shinny, I don't have it, I want it".

For the record, I breed for free. Making people happy makes me feel better, whether trading is often an annoyance.

And the market would be more dynamic if more people took into consideration what a work it takes to build lineages like this one, and not "it's shinny, I don't have it, I want it".

For the record, I breed for free. Making people happy makes me feel better, whether trading is often an annoyance.

This. I've got a number of personal lineages involving non-metallics that I've put all kinds of time and effort into, and that I love to share. They're worth nothing in trades, which is kind of sad as it indicates that people don't want them, but even if they were I'd still breed them to the AP or on request like I do now.

There's way too much of an emphasis on rares in this game. Even newbies want rares right off the bat, instead of collecting commons and working up to rares (not that it's possible anymore...sigh). I know I collected commons before I got my first rares, not even from trading, but from the departure thread.

Edited by AngelKitty

Well, I actually can understand why people don't want eggs with beautiful, intricate lineages: it would take them just as long to build a mate for it as it took the first person to create the egg in the first place. Some of the most beautifully lineaged dragons I own just sit there looking pretty with no offspring because I've got nothing worth breeding them to. :-)

That's true, but not every dragon you have also needs to breed, you know? I'm very much into collecting for its own sake, and I'm sure many others are as well.