angelicdragonpuppy

New Auto-Abandon System

An adult would obviously have the highest keep priority.

And I said a teleport egg should be dropped if one is a frozen even.

And TJ has already said that an egg in a teleport CANNOT be dropped - so if you have one in teleport - one of the others on your scroll will go - the youngest one.

Which is why I suggested that there should be a shorter time limit on teleports over holidays.

TJ said in the Lost Holly thread that teleports will auto-cancel once the 24 hours are up. Thus, if we were REALLY given 24 hours to get rid of extra holidays, those in-teleport things would be able to auto-cancel and drop instead of the things we want to keep.

TJ said in the Lost Holly thread that teleports will auto-cancel once the 24 hours are up. Thus, if we were REALLY given 24 hours to get rid of extra holidays, those in-teleport things would be able to auto-cancel and drop instead of the things we want to keep.

I THOUGHT the implication was that the 24 hours end of teleport is so exact that the wanted one might just make it out first... ?

Okay so this whole discussion has started to confuse me. I understand that there have been Hollies lost, some adults and some eggs/hatchlings. What's confusing me is the whole thing about the adults being auto-abandoned. I bred both of my adult Hollies this year, neither on the same day. I put the eggs immediately in teleport and waited for each person to pick them up. The most time I had to wait was about an hour, if that. Both of my adult Hollies are still on my scroll. So how are people losing adult Hollies? Did the adults only auto-abandon when the 24 hour grace period was up? Or was it before that?

I was one of the most vocal supporters of the 24-hour period before the auto-drop took place. I think that in general, it encourages giving (and makes international trading possible).

If it were just the case that as long as the 3rd holiday egg/hatchie were in teleport (for the first 24 hours), that nothing is dropped, and that if the 24 hours wears off without the teleporting egg/hatchie being claimed, that is always the egg/hatchie that is dropped [you were trying to get it off your scroll, so it is obviously the one you want least to keep], the situation would be mostly solved.

Limiting to a half hour again just means that we can't gift or trade with people across the globe, which is kind of sad to me. On the other hand, my personal pressing need for this is gone, as I received a promised Holly gift last Christmas (which only worked because of the 24-hour rule), and traded for a second now. I don't really NEED to be able to trade or gift… But it would be nice.

I like this system a lot; I think your wording is much better and I support this, ESPECIALLY number 3. Right now 'eggs' was changed to 'holiday dragons' but it's still quite unclear for some.

I personally don't think any event dragons acquired while under the limit should *ever* be in danger of autoabandoning, whether they're adults, hatchlings or eggs. The only eggs at risk should be the ones bred while at the limit, whether they're in teleport or not.

I think that would clear up 99% of the angst and confusion.

This is what TJ said in the now-locked Help thread:

So what you're actually saying is teleported eggs should not be protected.

Funny, because as I just said, it's only that way because you guys wanted it.

I believe that people must not have understood the consequences of what they were requesting, if they really did ask TJ to prevent holiday eggs in teleport from autoing. I can't imagine anyone preferring to lose a precious adult than an egg they didn't intend to keep anyway.

So, this is what I think most people assumed would happen: if you breed an egg while at the limit, and it reaches the end of its grace period and it's still on your scroll, it autoabandons, whether it's in teleport or not.

That is how I would prefer to see it work.

I think you just summed things up better than I ever could, Codyne xd.png

I want 24 hours to trade, and I want only the things being traded to be at risk.

But that's the point - TJ said an egg in TP cannot be abandoned, so the next youngest goes. The one you mention - as I recall - hadn't in fact made it into a teleport in time.

@LaHaine - the issue is only one with holidays and I think few of us would want all teleports to cancel in 24 hours....

I didn't say that xd.png Read again (I even mentioned "dropping a dragon of the same breed"). I said that for occasions like this (applicable only for christmas and valentines species), why not just put a simple more explicit warning instead of going all out on complicated coding? ._.

I understood the rules just fine. I thought they were easy to find and pretty clear.

I had a Yulebuck in a one-way trade waiting for pick up. I had a timer set so that I could abandon it in time. However, the Cave went down during that time and I lost my new Yule X Silver before it came back up. It was my own fault for cutting it too close and I am more sad than angry.

I would not want the 24-hour teleport hold to change. People here are all over the globe and sometimes have difficulty getting online during the holidays. 24 hours seemed perfect to me. I think after this time, people will be more aware.

I would like it to remain the way it was this year. It was fair and generous and in keeping with the spirit of the event.

The only change I would like would be to change the grace period for all bred holiday eggs to be 24 hours instead of the 1 hour. It still keeps people from having more than 2 of a breed and gives us time to get 1 egg to a person who might be on the other side of the planet. were so, then eggs in teleport would not have to have special protection and could just auto-abandon at the end of the 24 hours as with any bred holiday egg.

Update: Thank you dragonpuck! My Yule X Silver has been replaced.

Edited by bantymom

I saw that, but I'm suggesting this as an alternative. I LIKE having 24 hours to move things around, I just want the rules of doing so to be clearer and simpler.

Yes, well be careful what you wish for, you have now messed everything up for people who want to trade as everyone will now only have 30 minutes to do so!

And TJ has already said that an egg in a teleport CANNOT be dropped - so if you have one in teleport - one of the others on your scroll will go - the youngest one.

Which is why I suggested that there should be a shorter time limit on teleports over holidays.

It cannot be done, or he just doesn't want to do it? I can't see any logical reason why it could not be done, it cannot be impossible to code.

Basically, I think most of us want eggs in teleport to be the ones to be abandoned. And quite frankly, I understood the rules perfectly well before. there is no reason to change it back to 30 minutes for the next event, unless of course TJ can't be bothered to write some code to make eggs in teleport abandon.

Yes, well be careful what you wish for, you have now messed everything up for people who want to trade as everyone will now only have 30 minutes to do so!

...How very RUDE of you. The conclusion TJ reached in the other thread had nothing to do with mine. And since the other thread was made due to someone LOSING their precious Holly while trying to generously gift one, I dare say the current system isn't half so perfect as you're deluding yourself into believing! :/

The current system does NOT give us a full 24 hours to trade. It hardly even gives us ten!

As far as trading, plenty of people have been putting that they have a holly ready to breed in their trade post, rather than an egg. Given that they can trade one egg and it's practically a guaranteed breeding, that would seem to work fine.

Gifting, I get why it's not as nice. But I don't see how the game would tell the difference between a trade and a gift.

I don't think adults should be getting kicked off scrolls. And if they do, that should be clear. That seems like a nasty bug. After all, if an egg hatches the trade link just breaks, no? So it would seem to me the same thing would happen with auto-abandons. But apparently it doesn't.

not really a guaranteed breeding. I know someone tried breeding theirs one year and got no holly egg at all. So it's not a guaranteed breeding.

eggs in teleport shouldn't really count towards your breed limit.

Clearly we are allowed to temporarily circumvent the holiday dragon limit by using teleports; otherwise, putting a bred egg in a teleport would force one of the adults to abandon after 30 minutes.

Change it so that players have two "slots" which are safe from being abandoned without teleport protection. Thus, if you have an adult and an egg and a couple of eggs in teleports, nothing will be abandoned. If the teleports fail to clear in 24 hours, the eggs protected in them auto-abandon. If TJ is feeling particularly generous, perhaps something could be implemented that when you explicitly cancel a holiday egg teleport, you are given the chance to have a different egg/hatchling on your scroll abandon instead. (There's some issues here similar to the multiclutch -- what if you cancel the teleport and fail to load the next page, how long do you wait, how do you get back to the "choose this one and not that one" page, etc. It wouldn't be completely trivial.)

But the idea that having an adult and an egg and an egg in teleport means that one egg abandons is confusing. Why would having an adult and an egg be different from having two adults? I think that's what has most people confused.

...How very RUDE of you. The conclusion TJ reached in the other thread had nothing to do with mine. And since the other thread was made due to someone LOSING their precious Holly while trying to generously gift one, I dare say the current system isn't half so perfect as you're deluding yourself into believing! :/

The current system does NOT give us a full 24 hours to trade. It hardly even gives us ten!

Yes well this thread is just a continuation of your thoughts in the last thread. I do not blame TJ, I mean why be bothered, he tried to improve things by making the 24 hour hold for trades and now people are complaining about that also. Guy can't win can he.

Yes well this thread is just a continuation of your thoughts in the last thread.  I do not blame TJ, I mean why be bothered, he tried to improve things by making the 24 hour hold for trades and now people are complaining about that also.  Guy can't win can he.

Yah, because TJ declared he'd go back to a 30 minute limit without giving anyone a chance to propose solutions in the old thread. But saying that my suggestion of ways in which the 24 HOUR system could be improved somehow caused it to be dropped to 30 minutes is ridiculous. Way to go around pointing fingers on Christmas, mate. I am not impressed.

Also for the hundredth time the current system does not give you 24 hours. If you have an adult, an egg, and an egg in teleport, and your non-teleport egg dumps after ten minutes of the other egg being in teleport, in what world does that add up to giving you 24 hours to trade extra Holidays? :/

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I think we could use a different method than what has been suggested so far, one that shouldn't be too easy to code.

What if, as long as we have holiday eggs on our scroll, we get four teleport options - regular one-way, 23.5-hour one-way (for holidays!), regular two-way and 23.5-hour two-way?

The idea behind this is quite simple: If you want to gift/trade a holiday egg, you have 23.5 hours to do so. (If you add the 23.5 hours to the half hour grace period you have to put your egg into a teleport, you get the full 24 hours.) If your egg doesn't get picked up before your grace period expires, the teleport expires, and the egg you wanted to gift/trade is the one that's going to get abandoned.

Restrictions: Christmas and Valentine eggs/hatchlings can only be teleported via the 23.5-hour teleports. Sure, it might be a bit of a hassle if you're not at your limit already, but I think that that inconvenience is a lesser one than accidentally losing your precious adults/hatchlings/caught eggs and also a lesser problem than having to get your partner/giftee online at the same time as you.

I'm pretty sure people were not aware of the implications when the 24 hour thing was requested. People wanted a longer grace period upon the arrival of Teleport to have time to gift/trade their eggs. We could have done it the traditional way, by contacting and getting on at certain hours, but this was more comfortable for people in different time zones.

I'm very sure (because it's absurd) people never asked for such a protection of the eggs in teleport so that your own adults or hatchlings get autoed instead.

Like I said, I didn't know and can consider myself very lucky since I holded a Yulebuck for quiet a long time expecting, as it is rational, that if the grace period was over, THAT egg would go to the AP, not my own yules which are actually very precious. The egg was fortunately picked up.

Also, in that thread it was stated that the holly egg was not due the 24 hours yet, so I'm not sure how the system works. Does it choose randomly at the time an egg or hatchie is dropped?

Anyways, going straight about the suggestion, I think the whole thing can be made much simpler.

Keeping the 24 hour grace period, but NOT protecting the egg. When the time is due, THAT egg shall be the one to drop. I'm not a programmer so I don't know if that can be coded, but it is a simple, much better solution.

We all know we have a limit and all that, since it's the season for gifting. I see not much difference between 30 minutes and 24 hours if the ending result is that you are coded to not being able to keep the egg.

That's how I see it.

I guess the simplest thing to do is to make a holiday egg in teleport not count towards the limit, but make the teleport be checked by the system after 24 hours if it contains a limited breed and the player is at their limit. If so, auto-cancel the teleport and send the egg to the AP.

I guess the simplest thing to do is to make a holiday egg in teleport not count towards the limit, but make the teleport be checked by the system after 24 hours if it contains a limited breed and the player is at their limit. If so, auto-cancel the teleport and send the egg to the AP.

That sounds like the simplest, least-likely-to-have-confusion suggestion I've heard.

How about making it the second they hatch, they autoabandon? This prevents you from freezing them.

Just my 2 cents. It's very doable.

How about making it the second they hatch, they autoabandon? This prevents you from freezing them.

Just my 2 cents. It's very doable.

That would mean being able to hold onto eggs above your limit for THREE days. I think that's excessive and unnecessary.

That would mean being able to hold onto eggs above your limit for THREE days. I think that's excessive and unnecessary.

But it's not confusing, and gives ample time for trades. Nor does it break anything.

It's user friendly, and still keeps to the rules imo.

Edited by NazDrag

Well I wouldn't support it. The "rules" were, first, that anything over your limit autoabandoned in 30 minutes. Then the rules were changed, making it up to 24 hours, which is *plenty* of time to set up a trade. Now, because of confusion, the rules will be changed back to 30 minutes.

While I agree something longer then 30 minutes is needed, I do *not* think anyone should be allowed to hold an egg over their limit for THREE days. 24 hours is plenty.