demonicvampiregirl

Accepting/Not Accepting Aid at the top of Scrolls

It does help to understand WHY it is bad to you. Its like saying 'you don't like it' when trying a new dish without explaining what it is about said dish that you dislike. Is it cause its too spicy? there is a weird flavor that doesn't agree with you? Without us know WHAT it is that you dislike about something its impossible for others to change it so that you can like it.

The reason for the forced pagigation is simple. Reduces lag/load times on computers. There are many computers with slow internet and having to load hundrads of lil images all at once can seriouslly cause major major lag to those who cannot afford better internet. It also reduces lag on the server itself.

Edited by Dolphinsong

You won't be seeing such a message when looking at your own dragons, unless you are viewing your scroll as if you were another member. So why should it bother you if such a message exists? Unless you like to view other people's scrolls often.

Why do you find a simple message saying their preference on raising their own eggs so repugnant? It's not a hard question to answer.

If things are done well it would probably be a short, simple message like "This user accepts aid" or "This user wants to raise their dragons by themselves". Nothing overly long or obtrusive.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I do like to view other people's scrolls frequently, to admire the dragons or names they got.

This will shatter my desire to do so except on a few "safe" scrolls like mine.

And if there is a message for accepting aid, every scroll on the site, and possibly the site as a whole.

Well - your distaste for looking at my scroll if and when it develops such a message will in no way lessen my desire for us ALL to have our chosen message clearly stated. HOW is it worse than

You pick up the scroll labeled “someone or other,” and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them.

(And how is an "accepts aid" message any less distasteful, aesthetically ? Or do you just mean you would feel unwelcome on some scrolls. That's OK - don't go to them - just as you (generic) don't visit people IRL if you know they don't like you!)

As for

And if there is a message for accepting aid, every scroll on the site, and possibly the site as a whole.

There is no way we should all be required to accept aid. Some people particularly like to raise their dragons with the minimum possible number of views, for instance. Accepting aid would ruin that.

But fine - you can give up looking at scrolls; I can so live with that, and that at least doesn't break your actual playstyle in the way that losing a vital egg would. I imagine you have not yet been viewbombed. The day you lose four carefully bred eggs overnight, with 20k views, when you hadn't added them anywhere yourself, you may think differently.

edited for typefail

Edited by fuzzbucket

But fine - you can give up looking at scrolls; I can so live with that, and that at least doesn't break your actual playstyle in the way that losing a vital egg would. I imagine you have not yet been viewbombed. The day you lose four carefully bred eggs overnight, with 20k views, when you hadn't added them anywhere yourself, you may think differently.

I don't think that your idea would in any way stop what little view bombing happens nowadays. And before you play the "it's never happened to you" card; yes, yes it has. I think what little view bombing happens nowadays is malicious and not accidental. One newbie adding your scroll to one fan site wouldn't give your eggs 20k views. Someone who does that is obviously trying to kill your eggs, and a little message at the top of your scroll would in no way prevent that.

I wouldn't mind a little, unobtrusive message, but if it were too unobtrusive, nobody would read it anyway.

Edited by TheGrox

I don't think that your idea would in any way stop what little view bombing happens nowadays. And before you play the "it's never happened to you" card; yes, yes it has. I think what little view bombing happens nowadays is malicious and not accidental. One newbie adding your scroll to one fan site wouldn't give your eggs 20k views. Someone who does that is obviously trying to kill your eggs, and a little message at the top of your scroll would in no way prevent that.

I wouldn't mind a little, unobtrusive message, but if it were too unobtrusive, nobody would read it anyway.

I was responding to James, who seems to think the whole idea is a game breaker, because it would be UGLY or something.

No - I agree it won't stop deliberate viewbombing- but there have been several people recently suggesting that people have seen a scroll with a lot of eggs with low views and put the whole thing in a hatchery without looking at an egg page to check - a lot of players who don't come here (and even some who do) won't even know to look anyway. This idea would ensure that someone who knows no better will think twice, at least.

And yes, no question that I (and you) were viewbombed deliberately. But the deaths COULD perhaps be prevented if - for instance - no helpful person had ALSO put the scroll in somewhere as well. (and - as I think you know and James may not yet - once you HAVE been viewbombed, you do get protective !!!) A new player might actually READ that sentence at the top of a scroll, and might not look at an egg page.

It's that the message even exists.

Not only would it mess with formatting and be discouraging, but it is aesthetically displeasing and relegates users to only look at "safe" (i.e. aid accepting) scrolls without a message.

The only way to prevent this is to ditch the idea completely.

Not everyone checks the egg/hatchling pages directly to see if they are or not accepting aid. People see low views on eggs and newer players and ones who don't know better add them anyway.

There is not one bad side effect of adding a simple message to the top of a scroll saying that the user in question is or isn't accepting aid. I even said to make it optional for the message to appear. If you don't want it cluttering your scroll you can just easily opt-out.

It would not be aesthetically displeasing at all. It would in fact be saving countless eggs/hatchlings that get added by mistake by new and old users alike.

You cannot and will not stop malicious view bombing but the one that get added by mistake would decrease dramatically if that was displayed at the very top of the scroll so it was there for everyone to see.

WHY do you think it looks bad?

Don't want a paragraph? No need--we can make it short and sweet.

Don't want any text up there? Well, you already have the text identifying who's scroll you're looking at.

Think it detracts from the RP experience? Then help word it in a way that would make sense from an RP context! Something like "You get the feeling [user] knows how to raise their dragons, and think it would be best not to get too close" or something. Or "[user] has scrawled a message beneath their name: 'The dragons are friendly! Feel free to feed them and warm the the eggs!'" or something.

Is there another reason you hate it? Please, try to explain why! I know that can be hard--sometimes you just hate something and can't figure out how to put it into words. But if you can, somehow, that can help us make this better.

If an aid message isn't fitting to RP - how is

You pick up the scroll labeled “someone or other,” and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them.

How would it be worse for that to read something like

You pick up the scroll labeled “someone or other,” and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them. Their owner would like you to leave them alone and not try to help raise them in any way.

Is

user posted image

so TERRIBLE a sight ? (edited from the scroll of a friend, to protect the innocent !)

Edited for typefails. Again. I need coffee !

Edited by fuzzbucket

How's about an option to turn the message off completely, if you want your scroll to look like they do now? That surely wouldn't do any harm, but it might please some of those who like their scrolls the way they look at the moment.

Don't get me wrong here, I am in support of this idea. I'm just trying to find a way to please the majority of people.

Edited by TheGrox

Just as long as it wasn't an option to turn them off when looking at other scrolls--since that kinda defeats the purpose, IMO.

But hey, if you don't want it on your own, I see no reason it shouldn't be able to be turned off for yours.

How's about an option to turn the message off completely, if you want your scroll to look like they do now? That surely wouldn't do any harm, but it might please some of those who like their scrolls the way they look at the moment.

Don't get me wrong here, I am in support of this idea. I'm just trying to find a way to please the majority of people.

I would be entirely happy with that.

But James seems to feel it is seeing it on OTHER PEOPLE's scrolls that is so horrible. And the whole POINT is for other people to see it, not for the owner to ! If YOU want other people to see the message when they visit your scroll - they should see it - whether they want to or not.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Just as long as it wasn't an option to turn them off when looking at other scrolls--since that kinda defeats the purpose, IMO.

But hey, if you don't want it on your own, I see no reason it shouldn't be able to be turned off for yours.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I wouldn't want an option to turn it off on other's scrolls, just your own.

I can't actually see how the message would ruin the look of scrolls anyway, as long as it was just a little note along with the "You pick up the scroll ..." bit at the top. But that's just my opinion. It wouldn't stop me looking at other scrolls.

Edited by TheGrox

That's in the first post. I said it could even be optional to be shown on your scroll. It should not be made optional that you can remove it from everyones scroll. That really does defeat the purpose of them.

That's in the first post. I said it could even be optional to be shown on your scroll. It should not be made optional that you can remove it from everyones scroll. That really does defeat the purpose of them.

Yus. (that's what can happen when threads are merged - my poll left, too !!! but it was 100% in favour before it fell off !)

YOU should get to decide how YOUR scroll looks to others. Just as you cannot see someone else's scroll sorted the way you sort your own.

If you don't like MY HOUSE, don't come visit. I am fond of my muddle ! xd.png

Yus. (that's what can happen when threads are merged - my poll left, too !!! but it was 100% in favour before it fell off !)

YOU should get to decide how YOUR scroll looks to others. Just as you cannot see someone else's scroll sorted the way you sort your own.

If you don't like MY HOUSE, don't come visit. I am fond of my muddle ! xd.png

I'll make a poll when I get up then. I thought I'd check back before I went to bed. So once I get up and wake up enough that I can think I'll remake the poll! biggrin.gif

Yeah.

That is discouraging, and might be a light form of "get off my scroll and never look again".

The only way to prevent this according to the supporters, is if this idea was rejected.

"according to the supporters" ?

I don't get that; the supporters of this idea DO want to see something exactly like that.

And as far as I can see you seem to be the only person who doesn't.

Looking at a scroll is one thing. Loading it into a fan site against the express wishes of its owner is quite another. Why would you see "don't help me" as synonymous with "go away" ? Do you see it as unwelcoming if someone IRL asks you NOT to help with something ? Like for instance a little kid who WANTS to tie their shoes without help but is taking ages, and still says don't help me ?

Yeah.

That is discouraging, and might be a light form of "get off my scroll and never look again".

The only way to prevent this according to the supporters, is if this idea was rejected.

I would disagree on that matter. When walking in the country, you can see signposts saying "Please keep to the edges of this field." This doesn't put me off walking through the field, I just know to follow the rules so I don't damage anything.

I think the same applies here, it's not telling you to go away, it's stopping you from damaging anything in your travels. It's informing people what you shouldn't do, so those with good intentions don't accidentally damage something while attempting to help.

From what I can see, the pros are less chance of viewbombing, the cons are that it might look ugly (which I doubt, as TJ managed to install the filters aesthetically, so how hard can a line of text be?) and that it might put someone off looking at a scroll. But it's their scroll, so why can't it be how they like it?

"according to the supporters" ?

I don't get that; the supporters of this idea DO want to see something exactly like that.

And as far as I can see you seem to be the only person who doesn't.

Looking at a scroll is one thing. Loading it into a fan site against the express wishes of its owner is quite another. Why would you see "don't help me" as synonymous with "go away" ? Do you see it as unwelcoming if someone IRL asks you NOT to help with something ? Like for instance a little kid who WANTS to tie their shoes without help but is taking ages, and still says don't help me ?

Yeah. but they also want to force seeing the message on people by saying an option to turn off the messages entirely is a no.

If the idea was implemented, there would be no way to avoid seeing no aid messages right now.

Support!! I have 'accepting aid' on, so this isn't much use to me, but for the poor users who get their eggs view bombed (that is the correct term, right?) by those who are trying to 'help', this is a good suggestion.

Also, how is

"You get the feeling [user] knows how to raise their dragons, and think it would be best not to get too close" or something. Or "[user] has scrawled a message beneath their name: 'The dragons are friendly! Feel free to feed them and warm the the eggs!" break the experience? If you hate it, scroll over it. What? Does it burn your eyes?
Edited by sushi9

Yeah. but they also want to force seeing the message on people by saying an option to turn off the messages entirely is a no.

If the idea was implemented, there would be no way to avoid seeing no aid messages right now.

No - there would indeed be no way to avoid seeing that the person whose scroll you are viewing does not want you to add their growing things to a fan site. The whole point is that if you don't want help, you want others to know that - and not to have to check an egg page to find out. Even assuming you know that that is something you should check first.

If you ever come to my house you will see a no smoking sign (well, you would, except that it has fallen off the wall, just now !) Should I assume that if you are a smoker you will feel you shouldn't visit at all ? Do I have to assume that any smoker who visits has the right not to "see" it, and to pollute my house with their smoke ? NICE, considerate people who show up see the sign and smoke outside. One person came in once, and smoked anyway. Another guest who was there put out their cigarette for them, and told them how rude they were... xd.png The countryside analogy is another good one - thanks, Emeraldmay.

Your preference is not to see the message. OK - I promise I will make sure never to look at your scroll if it displays something I don't want to see, and you don't have to look at mine if it ever displays such a message. xd.png (Actually I do accept aid at the moment - but I think this is an important option just the same.)

Edited by fuzzbucket

I think we might as well just accept that James hates this idea and will never be convinced, so we might as well stop trying. I don't understand his viewpoint, but he probably doesn't understand mine, either.

I am not against the idea, but I can't say I really think it will help that much either. I think most harmful view bombing is malicious and not likely to be stopped by this. Innocent posting of your scroll to one or two sites to "help" is unlikely to cause egg death before you can get a chance to fog.

On the other hand, I see no harm in this proposal. If it saves even a few eggs it is worth it in my mind.

I think we might as well just accept that James hates this idea and will never be convinced, so we might as well stop trying. I don't understand his viewpoint, but he probably doesn't understand mine, either.

I am not against the idea, but I can't say I really think it will help that much either. I think most harmful view bombing is malicious and not likely to be stopped by this. Innocent posting of your scroll to one or two sites to "help" is unlikely to cause egg death before you can get a chance to fog.

On the other hand, I see no harm in this proposal. If it saves even a few eggs it is worth it in my mind.

I don't see it as preventing viewbombing as such, but it can help people who do NOT want aid from being unwittingly "helped" - like the people I mentioned, who like to grow their dragons with minimal views....

Otherwise why have the option not to accept aid shown anywhere ?