demonicvampiregirl

Accepting/Not Accepting Aid at the top of Scrolls

I do not understand a SINGLE thing you have posted as a con.  HOW does it stop people from wanting to help?  All it does is let people know more clearly which ones do not want help.  Helping people who do not want help is already against the rulesHOW does it it make people feel unwelcome?  HOW does it kill motivation to view others' dragons and gift????  People are still perfectly welcome to look at a scroll with a "do not aid" message on it.  All it does is tell people they don't want other people to add their dragons to web/fansites.

The death of motivation to click dragons on scrolls and gift, is not a problem if the message is worded to be a friendly reminder, not a "note it is against the rules to help this user" kind of message.

But the prevention of giving aid is much harder to mitigate. People may wish to aid ER dragons with one day left and not even hatching (sometimes with zero views!), and see the message and think "they are going to die! Or grow up permanently harmed from neglect (a ND [a complete newbie may not realize it is an epic rare])!"

I'm sorry I made a transgression. I'll try not to fly off the handle like that.

Edited by James1011

The thing is, that one day left egg could very well be a neglected experiment where someone is cursing the person who ruined it by adding it to an ER. People who say they do not want aid do not want aid, even if it seems that their egg is dying.

And like many have already said. It is on every growing dragon's page that it is against the rules to help dragons without permission..

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Even good intentions can still be bad. Those people who don't want help, espically if trying for a negleted only to have someone ER those experiments cause they are close to death...

You would be extreamlly mad if your trying to turn an egg into a negleted and at the last moment someone goes and ERs said egg against your will to save it.... That is a lot of time and effort going down the drain.

They are YOUR dragons, NOT someone else's to care for. It is not their responsibality to raise your dragons for you. I'm about to have my first child, and I will NOT stand for people trying to tell me how to raise said child as she is MY child, not theirs. Same goes with raising dragons.

The death of motivation to click dragons on scrolls and gift, is not a problem if the message is worded to be a friendly reminder, not a "note it is against the rules to help this user" kind of message.

But the prevention of giving aid is much harder to mitigate. People may wish to aid ER dragons with one day left and not even hatching, and see the message and think "they are going to die!".

I'm sorry I made a transgression. I'll try not to fly off the handle like that.

The reason this is being suggested is so people who do not want any help will have a message to be able to be shown. Some do not look to see if they accept/don't accept aid. They just see low view eggs and add them.

This wont stop a user from viewing, gifting, admiring anything. It is a friendly message saying something along the lines of they do not wish to have any aid (clarified) that they don't want you (the viewer) adding them to any website.

This message is not to make people stop looking but to stop adding them. That's been the entire point all along. To let others know that you do not want any help at all.

Also making it where you the viewer can not see it on everyones scroll is going against this entire idea from the start. The user is putting up on their scroll that they don't want help.

It's like leaving a message attached to the scroll if you want to put it that way.

But the prevention of giving aid is much harder to mitigate. People may wish to aid ER dragons with one day left and not even hatching (sometimes with zero views!), and see the message and think "they are going to die! Or grow up permanently harmed from neglect (a ND)!"

You do realize that many people WANT a neglected dragon?

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

The reason this is being suggested is so people who do not want any help will have a message to be able to be shown. Some do not look to see if they accept/don't accept aid. They just see low view eggs and add them.

This wont stop a user from viewing, gifting, admiring anything. It is a friendly message saying something along the lines of they do not wish to have any aid (clarified) that they don't want you (the viewer) adding them to any website.

This message is not to make people stop looking but to stop adding them. That's been the entire point all along. To let others know that you do not want any help at all.

Also making it where you the viewer can not see it on everyones scroll is going against this entire idea from the start. The user is putting up on their scroll that they don't want help.

It's like leaving a message attached to the scroll if you want to put it that way.

Maybe this idea isn't evil after all. But it is certainly not the ace in the hole. And I can't change my vote.

If there is no destroy messages option, at least make the default disabled, so it will be few, not many.

And if I am still allowed to admire and gift a user with it enabled, this makes it actually a passable idea.

It was too late to see the good side of the idea for me unfortunately. sad.gif

Maybe this idea isn't evil after all. But it is certainly not the ace in the hole. And I can't change my vote.

If there is no destroy messages option, at least make the default disabled, so it will be few, not many.

And if I am still allowed to admire and gift a user with it enabled, this makes it actually a passable idea.

It was too late to see the good side of the idea for me unfortunately.  sad.gif

Yeah it will be default off with the option to turn it on. You can and will always be able to view a users scroll. This option isn't about not letting someone view the dragons there it's just so they know not to add them to any website.

You can view/gift whatever you want just it's there so people don't think it's just find to add a egg that is low on views without their permission.

Never once did we state that we cannot view the dragons on those scrolls, nor gift/trade with them. All that was stated is that a message would be added to the top of the scroll, NOTHING else.

Never once did we state that we cannot view the dragons on those scrolls, nor gift/trade with them. All that was stated is that a message would be added to the top of the scroll, NOTHING else.

I just hope the message isn't so poorly worded it implies that.

I still wish to see if it actually helps the users than if it were not there.

Edited by James1011

I just hope the message isn't so poorly worded it implies that.

Well, here's my invitation: help us! Suggests a way to write it so it doesn't looks "ugly" or "OOC". Giving constructive criticism is an important step when working on something that will affect the entire community.

If you like something, support it. If not, explain why. If something is unclear, ask. If you think you have a better idea, suggest it. Keep a cool head, never take it personally.

And kittens, kittens are good. And GoogleTranslate too.

Well, here's my invitation: help us! Suggests a way to write it so it doesn't looks "ugly" or "OOC". Giving constructive criticism is an important step when working on something that will affect the entire community.

If you like something, support it. If not, explain why. If something is unclear, ask. If you think you have a better idea, suggest it. Keep a cool head, never take it personally.

Due to me flying off the handle, I can't.

Edited by James1011

It was too late to see the good side of the idea for me unfortunately.  sad.gif

Thank you for beginning to see the point to this ! smile.gif

The reason I started MY thread (which was then merged with DVG's) was that someone had posted that they were being viewbombed - and they weren't; as it turned out their eggs - they were a low views fan ! - had been added to fan sites by some well meaning passer-by - even though they were clearly (on the egg) marked as please no aid. And as it is the Christmas season, the views shot up and they got sick. That could be seen as another kind of neglect. They got sick and might not have done if the no aid message had been on their scroll, rather than on the egg pages.

I am happy for people to view my scroll. I breed on request, and so people on forum need to be able to see it ! I even accept aid (because I am on line enough to spot when this happens to me, and use fog.) But players in school/at work and so on may miss their eggs sickness till it is too late, and lose them because some "kind" visitor adds them to a high traffic fan site.

So the message does need to be enabled on the scroll of anyone who wants to display it, or there would be no point.

Edited for typefails (my breakfast showed up suddenly !)

Edited by fuzzbucket

Thinking about what other people have said I'd like to offer these lines of text.

"You pick up a scroll labeled _X_ and see sketches and information about dragons. The Dragon Keeper Leaders would like to remind you that it is forbidden to help raise others dragons without permission." Default, mostly will be used by newbes or people who don't want to change it

"You pick up a scroll labeled _X_ and see sketches and information about dragons. There is a note on the scroll that says 'Please warm my eggs and feed the hatchlings.' This is the accepting aid message.

"You pick up a scroll labeled _X_ and see sketches and information about dragons. There is a note on the scroll that says 'Please do not feed the dragons, they are on a strict diet to keep them healthy.' -This is the not accepting aid message

Edited by brairtrainer

Thinking about what other people have said I'd like to offer these lines of text.

"You pick up a scroll labeled _X_ and see sketches and information about dragons. The Dragon Keeper Leaders would like to remind you that it is forbidden to help raise others dragons without permission." Default, mostly will be used by newbes or people who don't want to change it

"You pick up a scroll labeled _X_ and see sketches and information about dragons. There is a note on the scroll that says 'Please warm my eggs and feed the hatchlings.' This is the accepting aid message.

"You pick up a scroll labeled _X_ and see sketches and information about dragons. There is a note on the scroll that says 'Please do not feed the dragons, they are on a strict diet to keep them healthy.' -This is the not accepting aid message

That's funny ! Support.

BUT - not "please warm..." I think; better "You may warm..." - you don't want EVERYONE adding things EVERYWHERE - even for those who do accept aid !

I hope it is clear enough what it means.... Should it maybe say something more like "Please do not feed the GROWING dragons..." ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

That's funny ! Support.

BUT - not "please warm..." I think; better "You may warm..." - you don't want EVERYONE adding things EVERYWHERE - even for those who do accept aid !

I agree with the edit but I will leave it as is for now and let the op decide

I agree with the edit but I will leave it as is for now and let the op decide

Well, I am half of the OP and I like it biggrin.gif (this is two merged threads and one was mine !!!!)

Well, I am half of the OP and I like it biggrin.gif (this is two merged threads and one was mine !!!!)

I know but the offical OP hasn't put any of the wording suggestions in the first post which is why I'm waiting.

Though it made me feel fuzzy when you said you liked it wub.gif

I know but the offical OP hasn't put any of the wording suggestions in the first post which is why I'm waiting.

Though it made me feel fuzzy when you said you liked it wub.gif

DVG and I PM a lot... but I think she's asleep !

Fuzz fuzz fuzz biggrin.gif

Though it made me feel fuzzy when you said you liked it  wub.gif

Once I wake up enough and can be coherent enough to put a paragraph together I plan to revamp the first post and take out the two edit sections and put those messages up.

Edit: Okay first post has been revamped I kept the original one in. If you need me to add/take anything out please tell me. I am new to having a suggestion in on a site like this. -lol- Hopefully I'm doing okay so far!!! biggrin.gif

Once I wake up enough and can be coherent enough to put a paragraph together I plan to revamp the first post and take out the two edit sections and put those messages up.

Edit: Okay first post has been revamped I kept the original one in. If you need me to add/take anything out please tell me. I am new to having a suggestion in on a site like this. -lol- Hopefully I'm doing okay so far!!! biggrin.gif

I think my edit to the allowing aid one is wise:

"You may warm my eggs and feed the hatchlings." If you say "please do" - too many people might....

....Yikes. Weird argument since I last posted. I'm glad he started to see that those points were....A bit far-fetched. Anyways, I'd like to see this happen.

I had to change some settings around because I was being added to sites without my consent. Got one egg sick! I know it isn't malicious intent, especially since I had the "this user is accepting aid" because I was too lazy to change it.

I would like to see an extra message on the scroll, because I'm dabbling in some experiments soon, and I don't want lowtime eggs rushed to ERs ;p

I think my edit to the allowing aid one is wise:

"You may warm my eggs and feed the hatchlings." If you say "please do" - too many people might....

I hope I got it edited in correctly. If not fix it and I'll stick it in so it's right. xd.png

Voted "Yes, but only if it was optional". I like the idea since, sometimes, 'helpers' won't look at the individual dragons and instead plop your entire scroll into a hatchery. This would help solve that.

Voted "Yes, but only if it was optional". I like the idea since, sometimes, 'helpers' won't look at the individual dragons and instead plop your entire scroll into a hatchery. This would help solve that.

That is the idea behind it. Some people don't look through peoples dragons and just put them in sites.

Since I think it would be merged with this thread: I'd like to suggest the ability to add the accepting aid/not accepting aid message on a PER DRAGON basis.

I might want someone to add Dragon X to a hatchery while I'm out of town. That doesn't mean I want someone to add Dragon Y, that's just been bred, to one. Yes, I can fog Dragon Y, but dragons can't be both fogged AND up for trade so there's still a problem.

It won't help with viewbombers (none of this will), but I might consider "accepting aid" if I can do so selectively. The message could be something like "This user allows some of their eggs to be added to fansites. Please check individual egg pages for more information."

I do think the message needs to be changed to something more concrete. Like "Do not add this egg to fansites" rather than "accepting/not accepting aid" messages. I didn't know what it meant by "accepting aid" for quite some time.

I disagree with the idea to put an RP-friendly message up. The whole point is that the message needs to be clear and easy to understand. If my reaction to reading it is, "What the heck?" it doesn't help much.