demonicvampiregirl

Accepting/Not Accepting Aid at the top of Scrolls

Lol, Fuzzbucket, I've been Viewbombed and I'm still paranoid.

But another message on my scroll wouldn't have stopped it.

One unmistakeable case was of a number of the people posting on a particular thread, with others involving some lucky catches I'd posted my shock and joy about, something I generally don't shout to the world about anymore, lol.

But I don't tend to keep my dragons low in numbers even for trading or try for Neglecteds, which are not one of my yearnings, so I don't have the same potential for 'helpful hazards' as do others, nor am I outraged at the idea of someone wanting to help, which I think is rather sweet, if typically misplaced.

An extra line of type on the scroll may not be noticed, unless in big red letters - and those big red letters may annoy some spiteful person into Viewbombing you.

Your idea of same size but bolded type is a sensible improvement, and I agree that would be the way to go.

But references to eggs 'looking cold and hungry', as suggested on the front page, are more likely to encourage subjective judgements than are numbers relative to age, with some always thinking that animals look like they might need a snack.

The way the message is phrased is important to avoid encouraging misunderstanding - would there be a problem with having the same message as is on our dragon's pages used for this?

Edit: a bolded 'don't help' scroll message might perhaps also be more noticeable if that was to be the only optional message?

Many of the people willing to accept/hoping for help in an emergency only don't seem to be very big on having an extra message right on their scroll, and it's really only the people who would very much like an additional scroll message of 'please don't help' that seem to be those needing one.

Perhaps then there could be a choice of 'please don't help' messages - one 'please don't post' bolded in normal type, and one in bright/larger letters politely stating that the person keeps dragons low in views for a reason, which they could add to the first if they chose?

Edited by Syphoneira

But references to eggs 'looking cold and hungry', as suggested on the front page, are more likely to encourage subjective judgements than are numbers relative to age, with some always thinking that animals look like they might need a snack.

The way the message is phrased is important to avoid encouraging misunderstanding - would there be a problem with having the same message as is on our dragon's pages used for this?

Not as long as that message was made easier to understand. Many newbs don't know what aid IS.

And yes, it wouldn't stop view bombing - but sometimes, what makes the difference when that is happening is the fact that a do-gooder has ALSO put your scroll somewhere... At least this would offer SOME protection ! I think my last idea was quite brilliant except it doesn't actually say how that warming/feeding happens. Hmmmm:

"Please do not warm my eggs or feed the hatchlings by posting them on other websites. They live in a carefully controlled environment and the wrong exposure may kill them."

I never see the point of saying it's against the rules on the scroll page (though that SHOULD stay on egg/hatchie pages I think) as there is actually nothing TJ can do to enforce that rule....

OOH OOH but you COULD add the pelted with mouldy cheese bit... I miss it sad.gif

Or maybe "The Dragon Keepers remind you that to do so against my wishes is against Dragon Law", if people want to be that RP....

Edited by fuzzbucket

Not as long as that message was made easier to understand. Many newbs don't know what aid IS.

And yes, it wouldn't stop view bombing - but sometimes, what makes the difference when that is happening is the fact that a do-gooder has ALSO put your scroll somewhere... At least this would offer SOME protection ! I think my last idea was quite brilliant except it doesn't actually say how that arming/feeding happens. Hmmmm:

"Please do not warm my eggs or feed the hatchlings by posting them on other websites. They live in a carefully controlled environment and the wrong exposure may kill them."

I think that covers it nicely.

I'd support an optional message like that, although I don't personally want to have to have it on my scroll, lol.

I like this message! I hadn't thought about people wanting to intentionally viewbomb your scroll after reading a message in bold, red and larger font size. Of course that's what we DON'T want laugh.gif

Luckily I haven't had a problem with viewbombing yet, but if would get a problem, I'd be happy to have this message displayed. It's polite and clearly states there's an intention behind the low numbers. I like it smile.gif

Bumping, as this seems to be needed even more as time goes on....

This would be great. But the last time I checked "not accepting aid" is the default message so "helpers" can't be sure if you don't know what your doing or really don't want help. So that needs to be fixed too, new players NEED the help or are at least more likely to do so. (And if this has finally been fixed, then ignore that part)

Personally, I'm starting to think hatcheries should ask you for your scroll password, which would be slightly annoying, but it would cut out a lot of this problem. Wouldn't stop those that use forum signatures, but that is also harder to control since they would have to do much more work to hurt someone's eggs.

Personally, I'm starting to think hatcheries should ask you for your scroll password, which would be slightly annoying, but it would cut out a lot of this problem. Wouldn't stop those that use forum signatures, but that is also harder to control since they would have to do much more work to hurt someone's eggs.

I think it's the only option that really can change something. If someone wants simply to viewbomb eggs, the note on the top of the scroll won't stop them. I'm not against having it, I simply doubt it's going to prove much helpful.

I think it's the only option that really can change something. If someone wants simply to viewbomb eggs, the note on the top of the scroll won't stop them. I'm not against having it, I simply doubt it's going to prove much helpful.

True but if they just don't look at an egg, and just see a scroll, with ONOSE no VIEWS, must HELP - it will stop that. And there is a surprising amount of that - you can see it in threads that start "why is my egg dying" with more experienced players piling in saying "it needs to go in fan sites but we can't put it there because you are set not to accept aid" - and other players come in and say "Whut - how do you know that, I never knew that..."

True but if they just don't look at an egg, and just see a scroll, with ONOSE no VIEWS, must HELP - it will stop that. And there is a surprising amount of that - you can see it in threads that start "why is my egg dying" with more experienced players piling in saying "it needs to go in fan sites but we can't put it there because you are set not to accept aid" - and other players come in and say "Whut - how do you know that, I never knew that..."

Oh, I've always thought that's not the big problem... maybe I focus too much on 'viewbombing' threads and/or rules.

On the other hand, I can see one drawback of the 'logging on the fansites solution' - although I really like it, that's going to ruin the whole scrollsitting sad.gif

True but if they just don't look at an egg, and just see a scroll, with ONOSE no VIEWS, must HELP - it will stop that.

Hmm. That's given me an idea. Might it also help to hide the stats on the scroll page?

I'm asking because I've seen several suggestions to replace the stats of adult dragons on the owner's scroll view with something 'more useful' (example). So I'm thinking our dragons' stats aren't that interesting for us. For the owner, the stats of growing things are interesting to keep an eye on them. For everyone else, though?

Removing those stats from the public scroll view would make people have to go to the /view page to find out the stats, where the message is.

(Not to argue that the suggestion with bringing the message to the top of the scroll has no merit, mind you. This is just a stray related thought that might also help, given fuzzbucket's observations.)

Hmm. That's given me an idea. Might it also help to hide the stats on the scroll page?

I'm asking because I've seen several suggestions to replace the stats of adult dragons on the owner's scroll view with something 'more useful' (example). So I'm thinking our dragons' stats aren't that interesting for us. For the owner, the stats of growing things are interesting to keep an eye on them. For everyone else, though?

Removing those stats from the public scroll view would make people have to go to the /view page to find out the stats, where the message is.

(Not to argue that the suggestion with bringing the message to the top of the scroll has no merit, mind you. This is just a stray related thought that might also help, given fuzzbucket's observations.)

Good idea - though I still think the message should be up there too.

Bumping as the encyclopaedia seems to have upped the number of views were are getting as people try to get more egg/hatchie views to unlock stuff.

Bumping also because I want this SO much !

Bumping this as again, it is a good idea, and have just had some "helpful" person adding my unfogged eggs to click sites. dry.gif

Bumping as the encyclopaedia seems to have upped the number of views were are getting as people try to get more egg/hatchie views to unlock stuff.

Bumping also because I want this SO much !

I would like to just make the point that if people are clicking dragons on fansites (something I sometimes do to very low-time dragons for the added boost and do daily on DDF, as well as for the Encyclopedia) they wouldn't notice anything on the scroll page - or even see anything on the dragon's page until AFTER they'd clicked on the dragon...

Edit: while personally I appreciate my dragons getting a higher rate of Clicks, which helps in part with the very low rate of U Views we've been getting, slowing down cracking, holing, hatching, maturing and grow-up times (mine used to hatch and grow up right at 4D, and I miss that!) I can understand that some people don't want Clicks.

But as long as the Encyclopedia requires them, people are going to do them.

I clicked Holidays on various fansites until they were unlocked in the Encylopedia; it actually never occurred to me at the time that some people might not like this.

But what's the alternative?

How do people unlock eggs and hatchies for the Encyclopedia without clicking on the eggs and hatchies?

I'd really appreciate a constructive suggestion on this - nobody wants to foil any owner's plans, but it's not possible to tell which anonymous dragon in any fansite may belong to someone not wanting it clicked on.

Also, I wouldn't give out my scroll password to anyone, if that's what was meant in a previous comment by a different poster.

If entering a separate password for fansites is what's meant, I would hope that this would be optional, as it is at one fansite I use.

I'm typically in and out of fansites all day, and since fansites are not the only Viewbomber options, I wouldn't want to bother with that sort of thing even only once or twice a day in each of possibly a half-dozen or more fansites.

Fogging when we can't watch our dragons can be a time-consuming pain in the rear, but it works to keep our dragons safe.

Personally, I just wish that we had a selective multi-Fog option in Actions...

Edited by Syphoneira