demonicvampiregirl

Accepting/Not Accepting Aid at the top of Scrolls

Would you not like people to know whether you do or don't accept aid ???

*puzzled*

No, mostly that some people would rather not have an obnoxiously large phrase on the top of their scroll. Also, to me, unless you leave it as an opt-in feature, there are still going to be people who will go "maybe they really DO want help, but don't know how to change it". Meaning I don't think it would do much good unless people KNOW that they chose to have that message on their scroll.

Support biggrin.gif The only reason my scroll says that I'm accepting aid is in case someone wants to know who took their egg ._.'

Would you not like people to know whether you do or don't accept aid ???

*puzzled*

Someone can already see if I accept aid or not when they're viewing my dragons, so I don't really need this sort of thing myself. I'm happy with what we have already, but I know others would like this idea so I agree that it's a good idea.

Someone can already see if I accept aid or not when they're viewing my dragons, so I don't really need this sort of thing myself. I'm happy with what we have already, but I know others would like this idea so I agree that it's a good idea.

Well, yes - while I see Nectaris' point about the aesthetics - though it need be no larger than the "You pick up the scroll labeled “Obama,” and see small sketches of dragons along with information about them." - adding "Please do not post them to any other website" makes not a lot of odds, to me - anyway - it seems (from posts here) that some people see a scroll with a lot of eggs with not a lot of views and drop the whole scroll into a fan site without looking at an individual egg page - the only way you otherwise know...

Yes that's true, I suppose I haven't had much trouble with that sort of thing so far since I'm not always active on the forums for people to see my scroll that often. At least I used to be.

At this point I wouldn't be against "Do not want help" written over the whole scroll, in big, bold, red letters. I don't even have that many goodies and my eggs still regularly end up in hatcheries without my knowledge.

At this point I wouldn't be against "Do not want help" written over the whole scroll, in big, bold, red letters. I don't even have that many goodies and my eggs still regularly end up in hatcheries without my knowledge.

And that is exactly what I am against. I don't want accepting aid turned on, but I wouldn't want something so obnoxious on my scroll, even if I myself didn't see it.

And that is exactly what I am against. I don't want accepting aid turned on, but I wouldn't want something so obnoxious on my scroll, even if I myself didn't see it.

Agreed. I understand how frustrating this can be, but I don't think there's a reason for us to make scrolls obnoxious because of that. Imagine if you were a new user and were checking out this neat game and ran across a bunch of scrolls with HUGE, bright red lettering at the top to stay away from them and to not touch them or help them or etc. Wouldn't you feel a bit turned away? As a new user, I'd feel run off from the game and guilty for looking at this scroll that I happened to find. I think a simple message at the top of the scroll is enough without the large lettering and neon color. That's not to say I'm not against it not being black (perhaps a blue or something to help it stand out but not to be seen as yelling at others), but combined with the large lettering, I find it unnecessary.

Agreed. I understand how frustrating this can be, but I don't think there's a reason for us to make scrolls obnoxious because of that. Imagine if you were a new user and were checking out this neat game and ran across a bunch of scrolls with HUGE, bright red lettering at the top to stay away from them and to not touch them or help them or etc. Wouldn't you feel a bit turned away? As a new user, I'd feel run off from the game and guilty for looking at this scroll that I happened to find. I think a simple message at the top of the scroll is enough without the large lettering and neon color. That's not to say I'm not against it not being black (perhaps a blue or something to help it stand out but not to be seen as yelling at others), but combined with the large lettering, I find it unnecessary.

Wouldn't just making the text bold be eye catching enough? Could also add in a option to change it colors (just throwing it up there cuz of the blue color text).

Overall I am not saying make the text gigantic or more than normal sized font just something eye catching enough that says that the user in question wants no help with their eggs or that they do want some.

I'm fine with bolding or a color with softer connotations than red. I'm just against trying to make the text everything (huge, colored, flashing, bold, italic, underlined) or overdoing it.

I'm fine with bolding or a color with softer connotations than red. I'm just against trying to make the text everything (huge, colored, flashing, bold, italic, underlined) or overdoing it.

Nah I picture something simple in bold text. Just saying that the user in question doesn't want another user adding dragons into other sites and it is against the rules to do so. Nothing bigger than the current font on there or any different.

Where it is now the message can be overlooked or mistaken as part of the description, so I think it would be a good thing if it is optional not just because some people prefer less clutter (me too) but also because something that is not always there by default gets more attention.

Where it is now the message can be overlooked or mistaken as part of the description, so I think it would be a good thing if it is optional not just because some people prefer less clutter (me too) but also because something that is not always there by default gets more attention.

I do like the idea of it being bolded and MAYBE a different color.

Because even the accepting/not accepting aid messages we have now are hardly noticeable, and they're italic and in parentheses. They look too similar to the rest of the description, and they're too close. On hatchlings it's not as bad, but eggs? You can hardly see the text at a quick glance.

Bold yes. Larger even, yes - but I'd rather not a different colour.

Yep purely optional to turn it on/off. :3

I'm fine with extremely large red, bolded, underlined italics telling people that I don't accept aid :u

I'd like it optional, because I wouldn't use it.

Ordinarily, I don't want people adding my babies to extra fansites, because I tend to use the same ones and have a fairly good idea as to what numbers to expect from each combination at various times and have a specific order in which to add dragons at different ages to different fansites.

Some well-intentioned person adding them to another few sites, even if lower-view, could easily make them Sick at the wrong stages, or if a more delicate type.

And I speak as someone who tends to watch her dragons fairly closely and Fog when I'm sleeping/can't watch them.

But if anything would happen so that I couldn't get on - assuming they weren't Fogged for whatever reason - I'd like to think that someone would save them.

But while I'll sign the 'optional' aspect, I wouldn't want any such notice on my scroll.

Regarding the notices up front - I assume this one immediately following is intended for new people, since it's not 'accepting aid if needed' but actively asking for posting regardless of circumstances?

I would NOT want this message anywhere NEAR my eggs - you could have dozens of new people helpfully adding your eggs everywhere, continuously, because they were asked to and they'd have no idea, they're just trying to help - and scroll-fulls of Sick and dead eggs would commonly be the result.

'... You pick up a scroll labeled _X_ and see sketches and information about dragons. There is a note on the scroll that says 'Please warm my eggs and feed the hatchlings.' This is the accepting aid message.

To a lesser extent, this next one implies that babies can be posted no matter the circumstance.

Fuzzbuckets edit on one of briartrainers messages:

"You pick up a scroll labeled _X_ and see sketches and information about dragons. There is a note on the scroll that says 'You may warm my eggs and feed the hatchlings.'

This one makes sense - but I'd still rather not have any such notice on the top of my scroll.

Pokemonfan13s Edit on Fuzzbuckets:

"You may warm my eggs and feed the hatchlings if they look cold and hungry."

So I'll support this if it's to be optional and not a default for any of these messages to appear.

If anyone's to help my growing dragons at a time when I've lost internet or whatever suddenly, so that they aren't Fogged, I'd prefer that they at least know enough to check the pages of my babies to see what the message says, rather than seeing what looks like an invite/request they may not properly understand at the 'front door', so to speak.

I'd be okay with this if it were optional and the options were 1. No message, 2. A message inviting people to help. Never a message saying please don't help at the top of the scroll

I'm afraid that if people get accustomed to seeing a 'Don't Help' message they will take a complete lack of message to mean helping is okay, where in fact it might just mean I don't want the clutter at the top of my scroll. Basically, I fear that if there is an option for a don't help message, everyone who doesn't want help is going to be forced to use it.

I'd be okay with this if it were optional and the options were 1. No message, 2. A message inviting people to help. Never a message saying please don't help at the top of the scroll

I'm afraid that if people get accustomed to seeing a 'Don't Help' message they will take a complete lack of message to mean helping is okay, where in fact it might just mean I don't want the clutter at the top of my scroll. Basically, I fear that if there is an option for a don't help message, everyone who doesn't want help is going to be forced to use it.

And this is *exactly* the reason why there *needs* to be an option for a "don't help" message on the actual scroll.

So many people either flat-out ignore the aid message, don't understand what it actually means, or *only* go to the scroll and just add them all (add the scrollname) without even looking at the actual dragon's page. If there is no message on the scroll, people will assume that it's okay to post the dragons. People will assume that the user just hasn't "set" the message or doesn't care each way. We've had TONS AND TONS of users over the last few years posting that they've helped because the person is a newbie and "just doesn't know any better" etc etc.

We *need* an actual, none-complicated way to *show* people that we do *not* want to be helped! That means an option of having a "Please don't help my dragons!" type of message on our *scroll*. It's only an option. But it's something we need. We've seen that what we have now obviously doesn't work.

And I'm not sure I see the problem. If someone doesn't want help, and cares badly enough that they'd get honestly upset if someone randomly helped them, then the don't help message is the way to go. Honestly, it's NOT going to make your scroll look "cluttered", it's one simple line of text. It's not going to be any more "cluttered" then all the clutter of all those useless trophies, except this text will actually *mean* something.

If people are THAT against having an aid message on their scroll, well then add it to the Help section that no-message does NOT mean "please help", and you are *only* allowed to help if they have the help message.

Honestly, it's NOT going to make your scroll look "cluttered", it's one simple line of text. It's not going to be any more "cluttered" then all the clutter of all those useless trophies, except this text will actually *mean* something.

If it is in fact one simple line of text no it won't. But I see a lot of comments on the previous page suggesting that it should look A LOT MORE LIKE THIS. Maybe cluttered isn't exactly the word I want, but tacky certainly is.

At the very least there should be options between a regular, toned down line of text and the red screaming some would like.

Edited by rumor33

And this is *exactly* the reason why there *needs* to be an option for a "don't help" message on the actual scroll.

So many people either flat-out ignore the aid message, don't understand what it actually means, or *only* go to the scroll and just add them all (add the scrollname) without even looking at the actual dragon's page. If there is no message on the scroll, people will assume that it's okay to post the dragons. People will assume that the user just hasn't "set" the message or doesn't care each way. We've had TONS AND TONS of users over the last few years posting that they've helped because the person is a newbie and "just doesn't know any better" etc etc.

We *need* an actual, none-complicated way to *show* people that we do *not* want to be helped! That means an option of having a "Please don't help my dragons!" type of message on our *scroll*. It's only an option. But it's something we need. We've seen that what we have now obviously doesn't work.

And I'm not sure I see the problem. If someone doesn't want help, and cares badly enough that they'd get honestly upset if someone randomly helped them, then the don't help message is the way to go. Honestly, it's NOT going to make your scroll look "cluttered", it's one simple line of text. It's not going to be any more "cluttered" then all the clutter of all those useless trophies, except this text will actually *mean* something.

If people are THAT against having an aid message on their scroll, well then add it to the Help section that no-message does NOT mean "please help", and you are *only* allowed to help if they have the help message.

This. But not in red. If you don't want it to show - fine, it would be optional. But a LOT of people don't look at egg pages - don't bother to or - don't KNOW to ! - and have no idea what you want.

Given PF's edits to my ideas - how about:

"Please do not warm my eggs or feed the hatchlings. They live in a carefully controlled environment and the wrong foods may kill them."

Yes - too long, but I like it xd.png Just like the zoo !

If it is in fact one simple line of text no it won't. But I see a lot of comments on the previous page suggesting that it should look A LOT MORE LIKE THIS. Maybe cluttered isn't exactly the word I want, but tacky certainly is.

At the very least there should be options between a regular, toned down line of text and the red screaming some would like.

Yeah it doesn't have to be in bright red text like that but a bold text that is bigger than the normal text so it stands out yes.

We need a option that says that we do not want help on the top of the scroll and not on the hatchling/egg pages themselves as they are clearly being ignored half the time. There needs to be a way to optionally put the same message on the top of the scroll stating whether they can or cannot help. There does need to be one that says for them to not help.

I think the message you don't want help in a larger font size, bold and red will stand out better and then the message you do appreciate help just in bold and larger font size.

So far I've been lucky and haven't had any of my eggs/hatchlings added to hatcheries when I didn't want them to, but I can see why this can be quite a problem for some.

An obvious clear warning on your scroll can be very helpful, I think.

I think for those of us who want this, going for bold but same size text is the only way not to get this idea shot down by detractors.

How many of those against the suggestion have ever been bombed ? I have. It changes your perspective a lot when all your eggs die in the night. (Common eggs, at that!)