demonicvampiregirl

Accepting/Not Accepting Aid at the top of Scrolls

like the people I mentioned, who like to grow their dragons with minimal views....

That's me! I tend to keep my dragons out of the hatcheries until they reach the 3.23 mark. It once happened to me that someone added my eggs somewhere when they still had 7 full days, and they got sick in a matter of hours. Luckly I managed to fog them in time, but it wasn't nice...

BTW, where's the poll? I want the poll! xd.png

DVG says she will post one in the morning (her time, whatever that is). I had one up, but the threads were merged and as hers was an earlier thread, my poll vanished !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Yeah.

That is discouraging, and might be a light form of "get off my scroll and never look again".

The only way to prevent this according to the supporters, is if this idea was rejected.

You really aren't reading any posts that don't reply to you are you? Most of the people who have been on here have supported it. You seem to be the only one saying it would be discouraging/ugly/ect.

It's just a few more lines of text at the top of the page. It wont be that big of a deal and it wouldn't tell people to stay off your scroll. All it does is tell you that they do not appreciate you adding their eggs/hatchlings in without their permission and that it is against the rules in the first place.

Rudeness removed. If viewing a scroll of someone who does not want aid was against the rules you would already not be able to do so. Adding a message on the scroll and not just the individual dragons' pages doesn't change that.

And there would be a "this user welcomes help" kind of message available too. It isn't just "this user does NOT want any help" message or nothing.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

And there would be a "this user welcomes help" kind of message available too. It isn't just "this user does NOT want any help" message or nothing.

Yeah and I hope that a little message also is put up with it about it being against the rules to post them on other sites so it they also understand how you can't do that without the users permission.

I'm not sure the against the rules part is really needed. It's in the egg pages, so anyone who has EVER scrolled down on an egg that doesn't accept aid would know that it is against the rules. Having the against the rules part would make the message longer and less appealing. Ideally whatever message would fit into the world of DC, so if it was included would be best as "...and they would like to remind you that it is against the laws of the land to interfere with another's baby dragons without express permission."

I'm not sure the against the rules part is really needed. It's in the egg pages, so anyone who has EVER scrolled down on an egg that doesn't accept aid would know that it is against the rules. Having the against the rules part would make the message longer and less appealing. Ideally whatever message would fit into the world of DC, so if it was included would be best as "...and they would like to remind you that it is against the laws of the land to interfere with another's baby dragons without express permission."

True but yeah. I kinda wish it would be added but if not no big deal. smile.gif

Ideally whatever message would fit into the world of DC, so if it was included would be best as "...and they would like to remind you that it is against the laws of the land to interfere with another's baby dragons without express permission."

That would be immensely newbie-unfriendly.

Do you want to push them off?

No where should it mention there are penalties for not heeding the message.

I was going to be fine with a "kill scroll aid messages" option (disable ALL scroll aid status messages for that account only, not just yours, but not dragon ones), but now this idea should be shot down like the holiday double-breeding.

Edited by James1011

What?????? Somehow I don't think you understand this idea. It has nothing at ALL to do with preventing people from VIEWING the scrolls of people who do not want aid. It is just a message letting the person viewing the scroll know that they do NOT want them to post them on other websites/fansites. If viewing a scroll of someone who does not want aid was against the rules you would already not be able to do so. Adding a message on the scroll and not just the individual dragons' pages doesn't change that.

I think the idea is that scrolls that don't want help are in some way UNWELCOMING. blink.gif

So to show that they don't on the main page, rather than visitors having to check an egg to know for sure is in some way a deterrent to viewing the scrolls of others....

I was going to be fine with a "kill scroll aid messages" option (disable ALL scroll aid status messages for that account only, but not dragon ones), but now this idea should be shot down like the holiday double-breeding.

It's already on each and every egg/hatchling what difference does it make if it is at the top of the scroll?

Not every user makes a forum account so they may not even know that it is against the rules unless they do visit the eggs/hatchlings.

I was going to be fine with a "kill scroll aid messages" option (disable ALL scroll aid status messages for that account only, but not dragon ones), but now this idea should be shot down like the holiday double-breeding.

Should be shot down just because you don't want maybe 1-2 more lines of text? The purpose is to make sure others know that you are saying no to letting them add your eggs. Making it where it is not showing on every scroll really defeats the entire purpose of this idea.

Where the heck is the problem? How is it unfriendly? Its simplely a message saying "I don't need help raising my eggs/dragons" Its not like we're saying "Leave me the (insert beep here) alone" And it would only be showing on the scroll when VIEWING it as a member, not viewing your on scroll where the action links are located.

http://dragcave.net/dragons <-- Will not display the message as you are looking at your own scroll.

http://dragcave.net/user/Dolphinsong <-- Will display the message if enabled as you are then viewing the scroll as an actual member.

I was going to be fine with a "kill scroll aid messages" option (disable ALL scroll aid status messages for that account only, not just yours, but not dragon ones), but now this idea should be shot down like the holiday double-breeding.

But it IS against the rules - see the ToC.

Have you no feelings for the other users who want those "laws" followed ? Of course there should be penalties for not following the laws of any site/land. Just as there are for speeding, drinking and driving, murder....

Why on EARTH is it newbie unfriendly ? I know of several new players who were horrified to realise they had broken a rule by adding scrolls to fan sites without checking first - also new players who hadn't realised the default setting was not to accept aid.

You are not explaining WHY it is evil, just that it is. Its like saying Soda is evil. HOW IS IT EVIL!?!

And no, not every scroll will have it. I said IF ENABLED, meaning such a message would have to be TURNED ON by the owner of the scroll.

The problem is the idea itself, it is evil.

If this gets implemented:

I quit.

Every scroll will have a metaphorical security camera watching over their eggs to "protect" them (when they are actually being neglected by the owner).

Scroll-space become a sectoral zone of safe and danger zones.

It possibly is the gateway to even worse ideas (I don't want to imagine a worse idea than the removal of the dragon economy).

You just gave me a perfect example of why it is evil.

What - that some people wished they had known stuff - and it is in some way evil to tell them ? That - is just weird. Did you read the rules when you signed up ?

How is it evil to be able to express your wishes - especially the wish NOT to be helped - which is hardly a security camera protecting from neglect - if anything rather the contrary ?

Well - sorry to hear you will leave if this comes in, but - them's the breaks.

The problem is the idea itself, it is evil.

If this gets implemented:

I may quit.

Every scroll will have a metaphorical security camera watching over their eggs to "protect" them (when they are actually being neglected by the owner).

Scroll-space become a sectoral zone of safe and danger zones.

It possibly is the gateway to even worse ideas (I don't want to imagine a worse idea than the removal of the dragon economy).

You just gave me a perfect example of why it is evil.

(Please note that it is against the site rules to give aid to a user without their permission.)

That is on each and every egg and hatchling that is on the site that is not frozen. Why is it so bad to add that to the top of a scroll so people see it more often than it just being on the pages?

This is a silly reason to quit over a message that is trying to help the users. This is optional and up to them to put on their scrolls or not. You really have no say over what they have on their scrolls. So why should you be able to disable all those messages if they wish to show them?

I really don't see how it's evil as you say. I don't even see how this could make way for even worse ideas when it's just adding maybe 1-2 lines of pure text at the top. Not like a image or anything just a couple lines of text.

*shrugs* So one person insists that this suggestion is "evil" and "unfriendly". So what? It's easy to see that the majority of people in this thread are in support of this idea. Is there really a reason to try to convince that one person, when you guys have been doing that for pages with no luck? Forget about it.

I think the mock-up looks awesome. It's not glaring/loud, but it *does* explain the owner's wishes.

*shrugs* So one person insists that this suggestion is "evil" and "unfriendly". So what? It's easy to see that the majority of people in this thread are in support of this idea. Is there really a reason to try to convince that one person, when you guys have been doing that for pages with no luck? Forget about it.

I think the mock-up looks awesome. It's not glaring/loud, but it *does* explain the owner's wishes.

We're mostly trying to find out why it's so bad yet he never explains. :/

We're mostly trying to find out why it's so bad yet he never explains. :/

What she said. It has developed into a sort of horrible fascination. xd.png

Also I would REALLY like to know what is "evil" about reminding people to abide by the ToC.... as that was supposed to be me having shown him why this idea is evil... unsure.gif I agree that most people in this thread can see why it is a good idea.

Every time a suggestion about the accepting aid/not accepting aid message comes up, I try to drop by and point out that the message itself is and has always been unclear. I remember when I joined I had no idea what it meant. How would I 'aid' other users? Why would they not want me to? I didn't figure out for ages that it meant we were not to post other user's dragons on fansites without permission. (I never posted anyone else's dragons because it didn't occur to me to do so, but still, it was confusing.)

I can easily imagine that on the occasions when some new player ignores the message and 'aids' someone, it is not because they saw the message and didn't care, but because they either didn't notice it buried at the bottom of the view page or because when they saw it they had no clue what it meant.

If any change is made to the aid message, I would very much like for it to be reworded to something easy to understand like 'It is against the rules to post another user's dragons on any other site without their permission.'

That being said, I think it would be great to be able to post that message at the tops of our scrolls, but I would want it to be optional.

Every time a suggestion about the accepting aid/not accepting aid message comes up, I try to drop by and point out that the message itself is and has always been unclear. I remember when I joined I had no idea what it meant. How would I 'aid' other users? Why would they not want me to? I didn't figure out for ages that it meant we were not to post other user's dragons on fansites without permission. (I never posted anyone else's dragons because it didn't occur to me to do so, but still, it was confusing.)

I can easily imagine that on the occasions when some new player ignores the message and 'aids' someone, it is not because they saw the message and didn't care, but because they either didn't notice it buried at the bottom of the view page or because when they saw it they had no clue what it meant.

If any change is made to the aid message, I would very much like for it to be reworded to something easy to understand like 'It is against the rules to post another user's dragons on any other site without their permission.'

That being said, I think it would be great to be able to post that message at the tops of our scrolls, but I would want it to be optional.

Yes it is entirely optional and I do agree that it should be worded like that. I can see how it is confusing. People don't realize there is websites out there to add eggs in when they first join.

Yes it is entirely optional and I do agree that it should be worded like that. I can see how it is confusing. People don't realize there is websites out there to add eggs in when they first join.

It should NOT be optional to see it on someone else's scroll if they want you to see it though.

Somewhere here there is a thread with suggestions on a better wording, though.

Why scroll aid messages are evil and should be stopped (With danger/evilness levels.):

It will make the scroll less beautiful. [Low]

The charm of DC will take a hit. [Low]

Users will not want to help users anymore. [Guarded]

The economy may have a small chance of a backlash. [Guarded]

Users will feel unwelcome in the community. [Elevated]

Every scroll will have a metaphorical security camera watching over their eggs to "protect" them (when they are actually being neglected by the owner). [Elevated]

Scroll-space become a sectoral zone of safe and danger zones. [High]

Users will lose all motivation to admire people's dragons, and even gift. [High]

It possibly is the gateway to even worse ideas (I don't want to imagine a worse idea than the removal of the dragon economy). [severe]

It may as well be the end of what was once a prosperous adoptable game. [severe]

If someone CHOOSES to raise dragons with minimal views that is NOT neglect. That is a play style.

If they ask for help - they already do on each individual egg/hatchie page. If they ask not to have help, they most likely know what they are doing and anyone who does help them is contravening their wishes.

I certainly don't feel unwelcome on a scroll where the egg pages say they don't want aid. And I think we are all - except possibly you - glad to help people who accept aid - and none of us should help people who don't.

Every scroll will have a metaphorical security camera watching over their eggs to "protect" them (when they are actually being neglected by the owner). [Elevated]

As for this - it doesn't even make sense. If a scroll says no aid - it is no-one else's business to help the owner. If it says aid is acceptable - that's already what the eggs say.

And what on EARTH has this suggestion to do with the economy here ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

Why scroll aid messages are evil and should be stopped (With danger/evilness levels.):

The charm of DC will take a hit. [Low]

The economy may have a small chance of a backlash. [Guarded]

Users will feel unwelcome in the community. [Elevated]

Scroll-space become a sectoral zone of safe and danger zones. [High]

Users will lose all motivation to admire people's dragons, and even gift. [High]

It possibly is the gateway to even worse ideas (I don't want to imagine a worse idea than the removal of the dragon economy). Once the bar is lowered, it is hard to raise it again.[severe]

It may as well be the end of what was once a prosperous adoptable game. [severe]

Some of these reason are rather.... stretched? It's like you are looking for any reason to hate it. :/

It's not going to change anything just add a couple lines of text. People already use their dragons NAMES to put these messages up so why not just remove them having to and put it up anyway?

I'd also like to add that several mods have had issues where people added their scrolls to a site without their permission at all. I've seen it several times in signatures that people do not want any help at all.

This message is to help them out so they don't have a reason to add that to their signatures or anything. It wont stop malicious view bombing but it will help with people who think they are helping when they aren't at all.

Every users play style is very different. Some want as many views as they can get, some want only the minimal some may want to test it and see how low you really can get them. Some users even try for neglected dragons. People going by and adding them against their will is messing up their experiments.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Some people neglete their dragons on purpose, in effort to try for negleteds which is extreamlly difficult to get even if you know the science on how to get them.

Sometimes its negleted because something caused their internet to become interrupted for days (power outage due to nasty hurricane or earthquake or even job interferring).

Most of those issues you bring up is soething I seriouslly don't see becoming an issue here. If someone wants help they will set their scroll to show they are accepting aid, or they ask here in the fourms for help. And how the heck is there going to be safe and danger zones when its just a SMALL MESSAGE at the TOP of the scroll? Its not like its going to be bold red text that takes up half the screen.

And we have no real economy here except what players make in reguards to trading eggs/hatchlings, that has nothing to do with preventing someone from adding your eggs to a hatchery when you don't want the help.

Nor will it cause ppl to stop playing. It'll just be a means for people to ask nicely to leave their scroll alone, that they wish to raise their dragons their way.

Every scroll that has the message displayed will have a metaphorical security camera watching over their eggs to "protect" them (when they are actually being neglected by the owner). [Elevated]

Users will feel unwelcome in the community. [High]

Users will lose all motivation to admire people's dragons, and even gift. [severe]

Edited to be less overreactive.

I do not understand a SINGLE thing you have posted as a con. HOW does it stop people from wanting to help? All it does is let people know more clearly which ones do not want help. Helping people who do not want help is already against the rules.

HOW does it it make people feel unwelcome?

HOW does it kill motivation to view others' dragons and gift???? People are still perfectly welcome to look at a scroll with a "do not aid" message on it. All it does is tell people they don't want other people to add their dragons to web/fansites. It is NOT a "GTFO!!" message!

[Great... I deleted my post when I realized there was another page and I realized he had at least TRIED to explain, and it got quoted... Although the arguments are so......unfounded and downright irrational that I still stand by what I said. And when nobody else is agreeing with the reasons he is giving, I'd say the term irrational is warranted...]

Edited by Pokemonfan13

[Great... I deleted my post when I realized there was another page and I realized he had at least TRIED to explain, and it got quoted... Although the arguments are so......unfounded and downright irrational that I still stand by what I said.]

I still wub.gif you smile.gif

I shall go to bed now and see if sleeping on it all makes it make more sense....