angelicdragonpuppy

Ability to comment on trade offers

And that seems ridiculously complicated. I don't see the problem with a 100 character limit, a filter, and a report option, similar to description reviews.

Sorry, I was under the impression that every single trade comment would have to be approved first (like the description system). If that isn't the case, then I'm fine with a comment box.

This is an awesome idea and I like the predetermined drop down menu. As for asking to offer again there could be one that says too many eggs/things please offer these again and a check box next to each egg in which you check the ones you want.

This is an awesome idea and I like the predetermined drop down menu. As for asking to offer again there could be one that says too many eggs/things please offer these again and a check box next to each egg in which you check the ones you want.

THIS is a great idea!

To do the part of the offer good, part bad/can't take, have one that's like "Can we discuss this on the forums? I think we can work out a deal." Theoretically the person saw the trade here [or somewhere else with contact info/messaging system], and so they'd have a way to contact you.

I like this idea, especially if there's also a "I accepted another offer but would like to trade with you too if anything else I have is of interest to you" kind of message.

I was wondering though where this message would be displayed? On the scroll itself or would there be a link you could click to view the messages?

Add a drop down for:

"Some of your eggs/hatchlings aren't interesting to me and I would accept if they were removed."

"Some of your eggs/hatchlings aren't interesting to me, and I might accept if they were replaced with something else."

Then checkboxes next to the offer where you could choose what you're not interested in?

Yeah, it's more complicated. Honestly, for my use cases I'd be happy with just the first option -- I've had several situations where someone's offered me four eggs, and I'd be happy with just two of them, but I'm locked and can't accept all four.

That would do it !

@ Nectaris: yes, in a WAY we already communicate when reviewing comments - but no-one sees who writes what, don't forget. It's very anonymous. Not direct communication. This way they would.

ETA there was - and maybe it's now part of this thread - the suggestion that we could accept PART of a trade if it's too large. Could that be the easiest way to deal with too many eggs offered etc ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

I support this as well.

I would love to have the ability to say: "Can you reoffer with only the CB Saragamma?", "Your offer was too late by 20 minutes.", or "I only accept 2nd gen Hellhorses, sorry."

People could get a better chance at knowing what is wanted on both sides that way.

I like thi idea and support it ONLY if it's not those dumb drop-down things that NEVER say what I'd like to say. How much effort does it take to type out a few words instead of relying on dumdum drop downs?

I like thi idea and support it ONLY if it's not those dumb drop-down things that NEVER say what I'd like to say. How much effort does it take to type out a few words instead of relying on dumdum drop downs?

Not nearly as much effort as it does to make sure that those few typed words aren't "<slur> <slur> <slur>" or "<curse word> <slur>, <curse word>", sadly.

TJ can censor out curses from names, so I assume he could do the same for trade comments. Additionally, as I mentioned in the OP, I have never once received a hateful or nasty comment on any of my descriptions. Despite having submitted literally over a thousand, and despite description comments being anonymous. If people can be civil in that situation, I imagine they can be all that much more civil in a context where their names are showing and thus easy to report!

I really don't like the idea of a drop down menu at all, as I can't see it covering all the things I'd want to say. Saying "sorry, I only accept perfect two sprite checkers, and your offer mixes both normal blacks and alt blacks in it," or "that's beautiful, but I'm afraid I already have my Rosebud slots filled and thus could never get a proper mate to continue it" aren't things likely to be covered in generic drop downs. Oh, sure, I might be able to get the general idea across, but I feel being able to respond personally would leave a lot less confusion and annoyance.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

+1 support for this. I think it'd be really useful, especially if it isn't one of those drop-down things.

I would agree with this, but again not with drop down.

The other day on a trade I got offered a tinsel and a CB Ice. I left it about 10 minutes to consider, and by the time I came back to accept they had changed the ice to an admittedly pretty lineaged 3rd gen gold. Now the gold may be generally considered 'better' than the ice, but the CB ice was of much more value to me with my current scroll goals. I had no way to tell the person I would accept if they changed back to the ice, so ended up accepting a completely different offer.

There is no way a drop down menu, even with the check-box idea, could convey this.

That said a small number of generic options such as 'Got a better offer' or 'Not what I am looking for' may be nice to have, although I would unlikely use any comments unless I needed them to change something in the trade.

Maybe where it says 'accept' 'reject' also have a 'comment' - make it very clear that this is a separate option, not expected. Having clicked comment you get a page with the text box and generic options, enter what you want and then get the option to reject, or to wait (i.e do nothing if you need to let someone know you are waiting/considering but please don't remove your offer). The only reason I say have a 'wait' option is I don't think that a reject should have a link back to the offer (to avoid any harassment - I know they could probably find the initial link they clicked on but we might as well make it as hard as possible), but you may want them to re-offer with something else.

This will be very useful, full support. Also people should be able to send comment without having to accept/reject. For eg, I've been so scared to accept tinsel hatchie offers sent to me via EATW trades because I had no idea if they were influenced but I accepted them anyway. So I could hold off a trade by commenting "waiting till it genders", or "please PM to confirm if influenced" etc.

I like this idea much. You could check out someone's scroll and ask them if a certain egg is up for trades, etc.

+1

I love this idea so much! It would be really useful. I can't wait for it to be implemented. biggrin.gif

TJ can censor out curses from names, so I assume he could do the same for trade comments.

That's a lot of the mods working in conjunction and it's not really even censored. It's just if we catch it we act. Though a lot of it is just inappropriateness in general, though. I believe that actual swears are censored (though I haven't tried to name a dragon something like that).

So I think that the mods would also have to do more censorship work than we already do. And it's not like we can read other people's PMs to make sure they're appropriate, so I don't imagine that we could do that for trade comments unless they were made public to whoever wanted to read them.

I also feel that there's a reason why a lot of parents don't let their younger children sign up for the forums. Even though there are mods and we do our best to make everything work smoothly and such, we can't get everything immediately after posting and work at light speed, so there is a risk of kids getting caught up in the inappropriate content. So introducing this might also be a concern for parents.

But, if you put that aside, I also feel that DC is more of a competition-based site. People are grabbing for eggs and racing to get as many as they can in one sitting. Opening that slightly frustrating environment up to commenting and the like may seem good on paper, but I think that a lot of people will get flamed and attacked over nonsensical things due to misguided frustrations.

I don't mean to be rude or demeaning and I'm sorry if I came off that way, but I just felt that the major negatives should also be pointed out.

... ETA there was - and maybe it's now part of this thread - the suggestion that we could accept PART of a trade if it's too large. Could that be the easiest way to deal with too many eggs offered etc ?

That might not answer life, the universe and everything, but if we had an option to select any particular dragons in an offer, this would go a long way toward solving one of the more common issues many of us seem to encounter, and might (no idea, puter illiterate, lol) be easiest for TJ to set up?

I can see the potential problems with communicating via anonymous trade offers, although one does at least have the option of asking for PMs, if one has room for them.

Support this if only because explanations are nice. Yup.

/sleep deprived shot

While I'd love to be able to select dragons wanted/for which spaces exist and it would be great in some circumstances to be able to communicate with people regarding Teleport offers for which I've simply no room, I can't help but recall that at the time Teleport was so blessedly instituted, I felt that trading was made rather anonymous by the simple posting and accepting of links, having met many wonderful people via trades, while others felt that a fast trade with no communication required was an advantage, as it sometimes is, especially for those of us who use their inbox as a repository of records therefore easily accessible and handy for resending in cases where one would like to send eggs from dragons that won't produce, lol, using even the expanded inbox space we were so grateful for.

Although we still have the option of asking for PMed offers, in which case communication is easy.

On Teleport, if I can see scroll names, and the user name is the same, I have the opportunity of PMing someone making a trade offer of more than I have room for, although otherwise, I've not been able to tell who I'm trading with.

Granted, I've made few trade posts of late, since I usually can't catch much in the Cave, even if it's actually moving while I'm on and breeding has sucked for some time, and in any event I've been off a lot, between moving into 3 different temporary places and having puter/health issues, but have I not yet seen something that's changed, or am I missing something, where one can tell a user name to contact someone who's on the forums, even without a scroll name to try?

I got back on with this Release last time, and have made no trade posts at all recently.

What's actually possible, for making contact, within the current system?

I like this idea without the drop down menu, a more personal message with actual details would make me feel better than simply seeing it say "your offer has been declined because it was not what the person was looking for" It just leaves me with more questions.

Re: comments without accepting or rejecting - a couple general options:

Your offer is good, but I am waiting for other offers

Your offer is not what I was hoping for, so I am waiting for other offers

(I haven't read most of this, having come here from here, so apologies if I'm duplicating.)