angelicdragonpuppy

Ability to comment on trade offers

Even if you get no more than 4 offers on a trade and have 7 trades a week, that would mean 21 rejections you'd have to explain. Even though it is obvious sometimes. (Like you ask for a CB trio and get an offer of some inbred common or something.

All of the above: I see no reason to tell someone why I declined their trade -- I don't even get that many trades. And this could be easily abused, too.

I don't get many requests for breeding, even with the message in my sig. xP

The few I do get I either accept or decline politely, and about the only time I ever decline is when what they want is a holly.

I like the idea of being able to say why I declined an offer. However, it should be internal to DC. Not everyone has a forum account, and people without them can easily be stalking the trading section.

All you need is a filter to kill messages with swear words and other words such as "stupid" that would only be used in a rude message. If the filter catches a bad message the message sender gets a demerit attached to their account. Then you need a report feature so people can report rude or otherwise inappropriate messages. Mods look over those reported messages and decide if they really were bad or not [otherwise people could abuse the report system if it was just automatic]. If they decide a message was inappropriate they attach a demerit to the message sender's account [and perhaps suggest a filter update to TJ]. With enough demerits the message system is disabled for them. On the flip side if it is determined that the person who reported it abused the report button [reported "sorry, I'm only looking for CB blacks"] they get a demerit of a different kind and with enough of those their report button is disabled.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

How about radio buttons:

Sorry, not what I was looking for

Got a better offer

(Actually except for "I decided it would have the best possible home with another user" which was effectively what I was told once when they accepted my offer !" - what other reasons ARE there ?)

But why does anyone need to know ??? I still don't get this....

It's my egg/hatchling trade. I should be able to accept/decline whatever I want without having to explain myself to others. In the rare case that I feel the need to explain, I will send a PM to the person who made the offer, if they are on the forum. (Right, Fuzz? -- and by the way I haven't forgotten your egg, I just haven't gotten anything from those stubborn dragons, yet!)

There are offers I have rejected because they are too good to take, and this is another reason I wouldn't want something like this. In that case, I have PM'd the other people and offered an alternative- a gift of the same sort of thing I was offering, because I had plans for the thing I was asking for (a messy common/something/whatever that I could do something crazy with that wouldn't matter), and didn't want to hurt the pretty thing they'd bred/caught because I knew they'd put effort into what they'd wanted to trade for, so I do try to even it out a bit in that way.

It bothers me to have to reject most offers to begin with, but unfortunately, in the end, you can only take one. Why should you have to explain yourself? There is a reason we can ask for specific things in our trade posts, also. A lot of folks just have a bad habit of not reading those posts carefully. And people who trade should be mature enough to get the basic idea that we're all in the same quandary- no one can accept more than one offer at a time, regardless of how bad or good the offers might be, or how equal.

It's my egg/hatchling trade. I should be able to accept/decline whatever I want without having to explain myself to others. In the rare case that I feel the need to explain, I will send a PM to the person who made the offer, if they are on the forum. (Right, Fuzz? -- and by the way I haven't forgotten your egg, I just haven't gotten anything from those stubborn dragons, yet!)

Exactly - and I am locked and about to be away for two weeks plus, so please hold off for now - indeed, best wait till after Hallowe'en, as when I get back I shall be into hatchling neglect... wub.gif

But that is the classic example. I offered exactly what haze asked for. But someone else offered INSANELY high - lucky her ! So what ? If she had never answered I wouldn't have thought twice - just assumed someone else had got in first (and in my books, first offer that fits wins !) or with a better offer. Because it is actually none of my business why she chose someone else.

But she was kind enough to get in touch.

I'd definitely want this.

I once had a trade where 3 people offered exactly what I'd asked for. Obviously I chose the first offer, but I just felt bad for rejecting the other two. One of them had luckily PMd me and I could explain, but the I couldn't find the other user. A little message saying "Sorry, someone else was faster" would have been loads of help.

I'd definitely want this.

I once had a trade where 3 people offered exactly what I'd asked for. Obviously I chose the first offer, but I just felt bad for rejecting the other two. One of them had luckily PMd me and I could explain, but the I couldn't find the other user. A little message saying "Sorry, someone else was faster" would have been loads of help.

But for the 90% of trades? For the people who don't read the announcements, and assume you /have/ to put in a comment? I'd feel really annoyed at having to take enough time to compose a message describing the if, how's, when's, and why's of that offer. Because I don't want just a one sentence answer. I want paragraphs of material, or else I feel like i'm blowing them off.

And again, why should I tkae the time to feel that guilt? For the few trades I ever even bother to consider (since I blatantly know that if I ever had some nice offer, EVER, I'd auto-gift it to someone I cared about on DC), then why should I contemplate explanations? I love the simple way you can accept/decline, and that person can't string any emotion to it, or any 'oh, they hate me because my offer wasn't -cool- enough'. I don't hate people. period, but I could see a lot of blatant abuse if this were to ever come into play.

I hate picking from a list, unless there's also an option for "Other" or "Elaborate".  It would defeat the purpose of being able to add a comment.

Not what I was looking for.

I had a better offer.

Stuff like that is to be expected if a trade offer is turned down.  That's just the way it is.

Comments would be for reasons that were out of the ordinary.

I like named parents in my lineages.

This dragon will grow up too soon.

This dragon will grow up too late.

This dragon is the wrong gender.

I am looking for a female.

I am looking for a male.

I am looking for an ungendered hatchling for freezing but yours is gendered.

I am locked and could not accept your offer.

You are egglocked and I could not accept your offer.  Please resolve this issue and re-offer.

This is a good start but I am looking for a little more.

Could you please remove xyz egg/hatchling from your trade offer and offer back with just the abc egg/hatchling?

Or even a comment without accepting or rejecting a trade offer, to make comments in that manner.

I am locked right now but intend to accept your offer in a few hours.

I like your offer and am trying to decide between yours and another one.

Or a comment for those making the offer, even, could be useful.

This dragon has been influenced male.

If you prefer, I can influence and hatch this egg for you.

I have another dragon, code abcdx, if you'd prefer that one instead, let me know.

Etc, etc, etc.  There's no point in adding an option to comment unless you can actually use it.

Sure, it can be abused, but so can the PM features in the forum and they're not disabled.  Add an option for users to block messages entirely, or block specific users, or appoint message-mods in game that can block people's messaging options if they abuse it, etc.

While I have not read all comments, I do support this. If we are not able and MUST have a drop down, these options are better.

Both sides should have the ability to add a comment, too. Again, it wouldnt be abused (at all, I would except) because their username is shown. Same goes for PMs- it CAN be abused, but the username is shown, so people dont do it.

Completely support this and would absolutely LOVE to see it put in.

EDIT: To ashes, the person making the trade (not offering) could turn off comments, if they wanted. And comments would not be necessary, but an option to put in.

Edited by sunsteps88

While I have not read all comments, I do support this. If we are not able and MUST have a drop down, these options are better.

Both sides should have the ability to add a comment, too. Again, it wouldnt be abused (at all, I would except) because their username is shown. Same goes for PMs- it CAN be abused, but the username is shown, so people dont do it.

Completely support this and would absolutely LOVE to see it put in.

EDIT: To ashes, the person making the trade (not offering) could turn off comments, if they wanted. And comments would not be necessary, but an option to put in.

But, agian, if I knew it was there, why in world would i not comment, if only to see the anger on people's faces when I refused an offer that /they/ thought was perfectly acceptable? I honestly see no point, and if anyone hated me enough, they could use my scroll name (which, let's pretend for is not shown) and view-bomb me. It would lead to nothing but trouble, and if they didn't have a forum account?

And drop downs are horrible. I either want a text box or not at all. :/. This isn't WolfQuest.

Today I had a situation that inspired me on think on this. One of my eggs received a really nice offer but I had to decline because it consisted in 2 eggs and 2 hatchies and I had no space to accept 2 eggs. So I was thinking, it would be nice if we have a field where we could add an explanation why you are declining the offer. Not only it would be useful, it would be polite. I can see the effort that people put when they offer you something and it would be nice to give some explanation why you are not accepting their offer.

Edited by danicast

When the offer is made on forum, I do that, but yes, good point. Still - I don't like the idea of direct contact through scrolls...

Something like this has been suggested before [don't have time to look for it and stuff right now].

Basically what's most likely is a set of dropdown responses, such as:

"sorry, got a better offer"

"don't have room for egg(s)"

"not what I'm looking for"

etc

I think this would be a good idea as long as the responses were pre-determined.

Although I would prefer a messaging system as opposed to a predetermined set of options (because there's no way you could fit all of the different kinds of reasons into a dropdown) I have a feeling it would either be abused (cussing/verbal abuse "Why did you offer this? you're an idiot!") or there's too many people against scroll to scroll communication to even pass (personally, i'm for it, but...).

A dropdown menu with predetermined responses would be great, but how do you deal with the situation where part of an offer is good but the rest is not what you want? How do you specify which part they should keep offering?

I think that drop down options would be too rigid to be of much use, personally. Honestly, it wouldn't be much communication, it isn't like you could hold a conversation with it, and I would imagine that you wouldn't HAVE to leave a reason you declined. I would see it as little different than description reviews, that is a method of communicating between scrolls too you know.

Edited by Nectaris

I fully support this. Even if it would mean just a drop-down menu with preset messages. Still better than nothing.

Sometimes I would like to give the people some idea why I declined their offer.

I'd support it with a drop down preset message feature. That's enough surely:

Better offer

Not enough space to accept (maybe with: Please offer again, leaving something out)

Not what I asked for

Someone beat you to it.

Avoids all chances of cussing out, etc. Why would you ever need to go into huge detail ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'd support it with a drop down preset message feature. That's enough surely:

Better offer

Not enough space to accept (maybe with: Please offer again, leaving something out)

Not what I asked for

Someone beat you to it.

Avoids all chances of cussing out, etc. Why would you ever need to go into huge detail ?

But how could you say that you wanted them to leave the 2nd silver X copper out rather than the silver X black? You already have some communication in the form of description reviews, I see little harm in making the comment box like a description review.

Edited by Nectaris

I support this idea.

As for communicating which specific dragons you do/do not want in the trade, why not number each code?

Let's say you offered the following dragons:

1) CB white hatchling

2) messy lineaged white hatchling

3) CB silver

4) a chicken

These would appear as a list, in the same order, to both people.

If you decline the offer, you also have a drop-down option that says "I am considering your offer, but I'm only interested in __, __, and __." You can choose the amount of blanks you want to fill in, and input the specific numbers you want.

I support this idea.

As for communicating which specific dragons you do/do not want in the trade, why not number each code?

Let's say you offered the following dragons:

1) CB white hatchling

2) messy lineaged white hatchling

3) CB silver

4) a chicken

These would appear as a list, in the same order, to both people.

If you decline the offer, you also have a drop-down option that says "I am considering your offer, but I'm only interested in __, __, and __." You can choose the amount of blanks you want to fill in, and input the specific numbers you want.

And that seems ridiculously complicated. I don't see the problem with a 100 character limit, a filter, and a report option, similar to description reviews.

I support this fully, I would love a way to tell people why I declined and such. But I agree with Nectaris on this fully. I mean, if anyone abused the contact box (if possible) we could just stop certain users from using the box. Just like the forums is.

In the past, anywhere I've seen predefined options (on other sites) it never goes well, or you get aggravated because you can't tell the other person specifically what you want/need/what your feed back is. I think it defeats the purpose of the comment idea entirely, because we still wouldn't be able to fully communicate what we wanted to say.

I actually was thinking of this very same thing. Someone had offered me something and I really loved it, declined all other offers, went to accept and low and behold they didn't have enough room for the egg. So there was no way for me to let them know. sad.gif I would prefer an open box like there is when we look through and help on descriptions. But I do understand the fear of it getting ugly but perhaps there could be a warning system in place.. and if it got ugly a warning could be used, it would be flagged for Mods to look at and if they agree there could be a way to remove someone from being able to use such a feature or something like that.

If none of that worked, I would still prefer a drop down to nothing at all.