Lyricmaniac

Egg Multiclutches

Exactly what it says on the tin. Probably a rare chance, so maybe 1% chance at 4 eggs, 3% chance at 3 eggs, and 5% chance at 2 eggs.

Clutches would probably be mixed (so if you bred, say, black x white, you could get both a black and a white egg in the clutch).

Could either be set for everyone or, if there's a lot of opposition, could be an on/off account toggle setting. Would need to have some logical basis, though; perhaps the "in world" explanation is you're feeding your dragons extra to try to improve their clutch sizes?

A big potential downside is that this could increase the amount of messy eggs in the AP, but as it would also proportionally increase the amount of nice eggs and likely result in lower time eggs in the AP overall (due to a backlog increase), I think it'd be alright.

Honestly, I would support THIS more than I would support it JUST for prizes... you can see my comments int he other thread.

I presume that it would be even rarer for shinies?

Edited by Silverswift

I understand the idea, but I don't agree with it. Rare dragons are rare because they are more difficult to breed. The AP would become a hot mess. sad.gif

Yes please. People are a bit too comfortable with having control to absolutely everything they breed ever since all-breed multiclutching was disabled anyway.

And more low-time eggs is always a good thing.

I understand the idea, but I don't agree with it. Rare dragons are rare because they are more difficult to breed. The AP would become a hot mess. sad.gif

I do not think multiclutching will do any significant change to the amount of rare dragons. After all the ratios are still in place to govern their population.

This wouldn't cater towards rares, and (if I understand how ratios work), wouldn't make them any more common, either. Getting another egg in a clutch is the same as performing another breeding. Your shots of getting another rare are the same as if you'd gone and bred a second rare dragon, and nothing more than that.

Now, yes, that will slightly raise the amount of rares (because 1% of breedings will act like you had four rares to breed instead of one and so on), but because commons are experiencing the exact same increase, everything will stay proportionate. If there is currently, iunno, one gold egg bred for every one hundred white eggs, there will still be one gold egg bred for every one hundred white eggs. You'd just have higher numbers of eggs following those same ratios.

Which, yes, will lead to more eggs sitting in the AP--but IMO the AP keeps getting to be too high time lately anyway. We have nearly 6 day eggs sitting in it as we speak, which aren't highly desirable for grabbing. Getting more eggs in there should see a drop down to the more highly desirable nearly hatchable times again.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

With the AP not blocking the Cave I can't see why we can't bring them back. As someone pointed out at the "prize multiclutch" thread which I don't support because of the exclusiveness it would be great for checker linegaes when you wait for that one darn BBW or RB offspring.

I honestly always liked multiclutches back in the days.

My main thought against this is that there doesn't seem to be any shortage of eggs, especially bred eggs, so introducing a mechanic to allow more bred eggs to be made doesn't really make sense. Such a thing would have to be balanced to keep the overall egg count roughly the same, which would most likely mean reducing the breeding success rate.

Perhaps people disagree with my initial assertion, though.

My main thought against this is that there doesn't seem to be any shortage of eggs, especially bred eggs, so introducing a mechanic to allow more bred eggs to be made doesn't really make sense. Such a thing would have to be balanced to keep the overall egg count roughly the same, which would most likely mean reducing the breeding success rate.

Well, if my interpretation is correct, the entiire premise of this suggestion is to increase the overall egg count to push average AP egg time even lower.

It's not a problem to be fixed. It's a suggested feature to, at least in our opinion, enhance the cave experience.

I love the idea and more low time AP eggs is always welcome here, but I do worry about the effect on overall breeding success. If the chance is that slight, however, it might not be a significant change and just be a rare pleasant surprise to the breeder.

Well, if my interpretation is correct, the entiire premise of this suggestion is to increase the overall egg count to push average AP egg time even lower.

It's not a problem to be fixed. It's a suggested feature to, at least in our opinion, enhance the cave experience.

THIS!

I pick through the AP looking for eggs and, while, if I find one that I like, I will keep it, I am MORE likely to consider keeping it if the time is less.

If, as I mentioned elsewhere, the steady state of the abandoned area is eggs that can be hatched with little-to-no wait, I don't understand what a lower time accomplishes other than maybe reducing that small wait to a slightly smaller one.

Given that there are thousands of abandoned eggs right now, I'd say it's not that there needs to be more eggs in the AP so much as the selection is limited.

If, as I mentioned elsewhere, the steady state of the abandoned area is eggs that can be hatched with little-to-no wait, I don't understand what a lower time accomplishes other than maybe reducing that small wait to a slightly smaller one.

Given that there are thousands of abandoned eggs right now, I'd say it's not that there needs to be more eggs in the AP so much as the selection is limited.

This is a point.

I mean, OFTEN times when I go there looking for something, I end up not being able to find what I am looking for, thought SOMETIMES I am not looking for anything specific and just hunting to see what goodies I can find.

Still not for this. I don't see why being 'comfortable with having control of where your bred eggs are going' is a bad thing. Why do we have to make some people feel bad to make others feel good? Because for every person that's excited about that nice egg they got from the AP, there's a good chance there is going to be someone unhappy because their super special breeding pair has gotten off their scroll or something like that.

I breed two common horses and it's a pairing I'm super proud of because they have the most babies of any pair bred on DC and guess what? I own all but one or two of those babies, one of which was lost to multiclutch several years ago. I have put years of work into breeding those babies and I highly dislike the idea of them getting off my scroll. I'm super proud of having all those babies except for those unfortunate mistakes I'm still sore about.

Let people be comfortable with their dragons. There is nothing wrong with that.

Another argument I have against this, that kind of goes along with Walker's, is that some lineages have very strict requirements about naming, breeding, etc. for all offspring of that lineage.

Multiclutching makes it hard to maintain that, because eggs go to strangers who have no idea that the egg is anything special. The Hope lineage and the Opalescent lineage are two such that come to mind because I have been involved in those, but I know there are many others. In the olden days of multiclutching I remember that whenever an Opalescent multiclutched there was a mad scramble to find people with scroll space to code claim those eggs before they could be grabbed by others in the AP. But now that code claiming is not possible the lineages wouldn't even have that recourse.

Edited by purplehaze

The reason I want multi-clutches is so that those blasted Common x Common pairings that never wanna produce the RIGHT breed might have a chance of producing the right one. That blasted Albino x Olive pair is still throwing Olives every week, I think I'm up to 24 ish.

So, if something like the BSA I proposed earlier today (where you'd have a selected increase in eggs over a short period of time), that would be nice.

Or, some BSA / mechanic where you can increase the odds of a specific common from a pairing, that would be nice (or decrease the chance of the mate's egg), like one of the Sunsong BSAs being suggested.

Cheers!

C4.

Nah, that's not why I want it. I want it because I was around when normal multiclutch was a thing, and I miss the fun of picking out a favorite code, or having a choice between different breeds, or being able to collect clutch siblings. Possibly lowering AP time and sending more nice things to the AP are just two extra perks.

Although TJ's opinion (that breeding success might have to be reduced to compensate) is very worrisome. I do NOT want to see breeding success be lowered... would too many eggs really be an issue if the chance of multiclutch was very small? 1%-5% was just off the top of my head, I'm okay with that being reduced if necessary. If the chance is small enough I don't think it'd have too big an effect on altering how many eggs are around, just adds a little extra fun every now and then.

I hate the idea of multiclutching, it was not the best mechanic back then, and would be even more worrisome if it had only slight chances.

Confused players, who'd never seen it before.

Enraged players, who'd want to breed only for themselves.

That list could possibly go on for a lot longer.

The reason I want multi-clutches is so that those blasted Common x Common pairings that never wanna produce the RIGHT breed might have a chance of producing the right one. That blasted Albino x Olive pair is still throwing Olives every week, I think I'm up to 24 ish.

As far as I know, you can breed a lot of your other olives before this, and increase your chance of getting the other breed that way.

As far as I know, you can breed a lot of your other olives before this, and increase your chance of getting the other breed that way.

I've seen no evidence of that. You would need to have hundreds of Olives on your scroll to have any effect, I think.

I've seen no evidence of that. You would need to have hundreds of Olives on your scroll to have any effect, I think.

thousands, and more. above statement is not accurate.

I have 16 CB Olives, and I have bred them all in past before trying that pair. I ended up with 17 Olives.

You have to breed Olives all the time, for months on end.

On the other hand, if you end up breeding.... 4 times 17 = 68 Olives every week, that will start to make a dent in it. Eventually.

And hey, maybe you'll get lucky and one of the 4 critical eggs will toss an Albino? But having 4 shots each week is better than just one.

Cheers!

C4.

I'm aware that the OP's rationale is different but when I miss more multi clutching is when I'm looking at 6d1h eggs in the AP. Not even close to incuhatchable even when incubated. Since the AP will not block the cave, I would really like to see multi clutches back. Maybe 2 eggs per clutch maximum during an experimental phase, balanced ratios and breeding rates.

Edit: usual typos.

Edited by _Sin_

I say no mainly based on Walker's and Purplehaze's posts. I would much rather support the BSA than just a site wide implementation. It may be annoying that some people want control over their eggs but many have good reasons, even if they are personal reasons. As such those must be respected. Plus what is so wrong with the BSA. It does this, but at the complete and conscious choice of the person using the BSA, this means breeding groups and certain breeders can continue doing what their doing while those who really want multi cluth can through that BSA.

No to this really. We must take into account all the users and their game play and many lineage builders, breeding projects, and personal breeders would be terribly affected and upset by this, even if its a slight chance.

>_>

<_<

I do miss the incuhatchable AP, so I do support this mainly for that reason.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I do wonder why the AP keeps getting so high time? It used to be almost always sitting right above hatching time... X___x

@Anano: I was playing when normal multiclutch was a thing, so I see it as a return to a norm instead of a novel concept and thus not a huge horror waiting to happen. That being said, my main issue with making it a BSA--that you'd have to use it individually for each breeding, which despite wanting to spread more eggs I'd never dedicate all that extra time to doing--has been pretty much addressed, so I'm down for either. smile.gif