Lyricmaniac

Egg Multiclutches

Ok, I thank everyone for their suggestions......but I was not necessarily suggesting 4 eggs all the time, and apparently people missed the point of it being an example :/

...and it kind of bothers me that -that- is what people are focusing more on. It's just a number I pulled out.

Also lol, @SockPuppet, just curious if there was a way to either auto-mate or message people (or multi-mass message a group of people if there is a lot) to PM someone to let them know their topic was merged, moved or deleted? I was really confused when i could not find my topic, even after having clicked it lol. Just asking xd.png

We're using four because that's always been the max number of a multiclutch (which you can see today during holidays for those holiday dragons). Do you always get four? No, but there's a possibility that you do. I just don't want to create so much backlog that we miss the chance to see a lot of what goes to the AP because now a lot of it is dying before it can be grabbed. (I mean, we've no idea what the actual affect would be/how much this would multiply, so I can't say this will happen but just that it could.)

I suppose since regular clutches can no longer multiclutch that it wouldn't be that difficult to make them two instead of four and just mismatch holidays. Someone also mentioned a trial of producing possibly two to start to see what the affect might be, which could be another way to go. Or as mentioned, it could be a BSA, which might be the best option (I know there are people out there who don't like multiclutches because they like to be able to control where all their eggs go).

There's no auto-message/notification option for merging, but you can always search through your past posts or PM a mod if you get confused or lost. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

perhaps have it happen a few times a year, like how some other thread discussed dc holidays. A holiday for fertility could be celebrated with mega clutches. idk it sounds nice to me

I personally think that multi-clutches should be brought back. Maybe 4 eggs at once could be harder to get than 2 or 3. It would truly help any newbies trying to find some good eggs and also, dragons and reptiles in general usually produce multiple eggs, not just one. Multi-clutching is a big yes for me, either this or breeding not being a week's wait.

Bring Back The Multiclutches For All Dragons!

I always wondered about this. I've never had a multi clutch happen outside of the Holiday season. It would be fun to see this happen; I'm not sure how it would happen logistically with the ratios and such, but it would be so cool to be able to get multiple eggs outside of the holiday season.

How did/does/would this work with multi-species breeding? Would the babies be only one species, or could you have twins of two different species?

yes! and make it holiday rules where you cant keep them all that will really be helpful for everyone.

Never! The idea behind being able to keep only one egg from a multi-clutch is to spread the joy. I still think that this is a much better idea than to give all the (trading/gifting) power to those who breed their dragons.

How did/does/would this work with multi-species breeding? Would the babies be only one species, or could you have twins of two different species?

It used to be so that a multi-clutch could contain different species/color morphs or whatnot.

So, if we had multi-clutches enabled and you bred skywing x water, you could get a 4-egg clutch with 1 bluna, 2 skywings and 1 water (for example). Same with stripe x stripe breeding: You could get a 4-egg clutch with every egg being a different color.

I'm surprised that the twinning suggestion has gotten so much support while this has gotten so little, considering they're essentially two variants on the same topic.

I would love to see multiclutches restored as an uncommon or even rare possibility. The AP doesn't block the cave any more, and we have more players than ever, so what does a few extra eggs hurt? I think it should work just like it used to--more eggs are rarer than fewer, breeds can be different, you can only keep one, and so on and so forth.

I am not in support of it outside holidays. I was never happy with multi-clutch when it existed before, and really outside of making holidays more obtainable, I don't really see why it is necessary. the AP is full of eggs as it stands, why flood he backlog with multies.

However if it does need to exist, I would suggest that multi-clutching be very rare or BSA based.

In regards to very rare 4 is super rare

and 2 is rare. so it happens once out of like X amount breeding's per individual.

the BSA route, maybe give it to purple's fertility. If used on a female, she can "super ovulate" and produce from 0 up to 4 in a clutch. The BSA then gives the scroll owner the option to multi-clutch if they want to or not.

I do not allow my eggs to go onto the AP - outside of holidays. If I am trying to breed something and get wrong eggs, I keep them or vamp them. Only vamp eggs escape.

I would also be concerned with an increase of "I bred beautiful eggs and they died, were neglected, bitten vamped or killed." People still seem to believe that they can dictate to others what to do with an egg once it leaves their scroll - How to name it, what to breed it to, how to treat it, to not use "bad actions" (which oddly seems to include vampires but its not a bad action to me in any event) who they can give it to, Which really they cannot do as it is no longer their egg any more. I really don't care what happens to eggs once they leave my scroll.

With that said, I don't breed certain dragons to have their offspring off my scroll because there is something symbolic or meaningful to me. Such as a pair of dragons I never breed at Christmas - although she is a holiday because that pair's offspring is important to me.

BSA though, I am fine with.

I'm not particularly concerned with AP overflooding. After all it's been able to maintain a steady visible time of 5d, except during releases (where it would dive into ER time, and get back up to 5d in a week or so). Flooding the AP with more eggs is not going to change anything regarding how it works right now.

However, I do mind the fact that I only have control over one of the clutched eggs. I accept it as a necessity during holidays (to make access to old holidays easier), but outside holidays it just doesn't make any sense to forcibly and randomly revoke control over one or more of the eggs that I breed.

Either give full control of all eggs in a clutch to the breeder (which I doubt would happen), or make multiclutch an opt-in feature either via BSAs or account settings. Otherwise I strongly oppose the reintroduction of non-holiday multiclutches.

And before anyone says "but it worked like that in the past", yes I know, I was here back then. Just because it worked like that in the past before it was removed, doesn't mean that it has to work in the exact same way when it's brought back.

Edited by CNR4806

Either give full control of all eggs in a clutch to the breeder (which I doubt would happen), or make multiclutch an opt-in feature either via BSAs or account settings. Otherwise I strongly oppose the reintroduction of non-holiday multiclutches. when it's brought back.

This.I remember the days of the non holiday multiclutches too and absolutely HATED the fact that I had to give ANY of the eggs up without any sort of a choice in the matter...ESPECIALLY when there's MORE than enough slots open.

I think I'd prefer an opt-in in the form of Fertility. Why not change that BSA to give a chance of multi-clutches when used on a female and increase the chances of eggs getting bred when used on a male: (Of course, both things would add up...)

I think I'd prefer an opt-in in the form of Fertility. Why not change that BSA to give a chance of multi-clutches when used on a female and increase the chances of eggs getting bred when used on a male: (Of course, both things would add up...)

The problem with this suggestion is that you're effectively giving purples two BSAs.

Yes, but no one has suggested a different dragon that makes sense for one of the two forms of Fertility. It really is two forms of Fertility. One increases your chance of getting anything, the other increases / enables your chance of getting more than one egg.

If multiclutching for regular dragons comes back that would be my preference too, to have it be a BSA. That way if I don't want the chance of having more than one egg bred I don't use the BSA. If I want the chance, knowing any extra will go to the AP, then I use Fertility2.0 - multiclutch on the dragon.

ETA: either *light bulb* or brain fart, you be the judge. Right now using Fertility on both adults results in a wasted Fertility use. What if using Fertility on the first one of a pair raises the chance of an egg and using Fertility on the second one of a pair enables multiclutching?

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

perhaps have it happen a few times a year, like how some other thread discussed dc holidays. A holiday for fertility could be celebrated with mega clutches. idk it sounds nice to me

This actually sounds like a fine idea... if TJ thinks that having this possibly happen year around would be too much.

I wasn't here when regular eggs clutched, at least, have never seen it happen. HOWEVER, I'd be in favor of it happening again. Would rares clutch as well? OR would it be a case of if you bred a gold to a common, let us say, and you got four eggs, only one of those eggs might be gold, and the others would be of the mate's breed?

ETA... I ADORE this idea by Fiona Bluefire!

Yes, but no one has suggested a different dragon that makes sense for one of the two forms of Fertility. It really is two forms of Fertility. One increases your chance of getting anything, the other increases / enables your chance of getting more than one egg.

If multiclutching for regular dragons comes back that would be my preference too, to have it be a BSA. That way if I don't want the chance of having more than one egg bred I don't use the BSA. If I want the chance, knowing any extra will go to the AP, then I use Fertility2.0 - multiclutch on the dragon.

ETA: either *light bulb* or brain fart, you be the judge. Right now using Fertility on both adults results in a wasted Fertility use. What if using Fertility on the first one of a pair raises the chance of an egg and using Fertility on the second one of a pair enables multiclutching?

Like, fertilizing the male results in a possible multiclutch, while fertilizing the female increases the likelihood of an egg at all? Something along those lines? Or just... One and two, without it mattering much?

Edited by Silverswift

I would not mind showering extra rare / pretty / otherwise wanted eggs on the AP. In fact, I think it would be nice. But if I'm forced to use a BSA just to help other people out, I'm not going to do it. I already spend half an hour a week mass breeding nice things to the AP, I'm not slowing it down even more to slowly enable one by one multiclutch. :/

Some people might still use it (either for their own benefit--more odds at a shiny--or to be nice), but I think you'll see a severe reduction in the good it could do if it had to be implemented that way, and that'd be a real shame.

Accordingly I'd prefer it's either a default for everyone or some type of scroll setting you can flick on / off. If it needs to be kept "in-cave" than it could be something like "Enable Multiclutch: Use magic on your dragons / offer your dragons extra nutrients / whatever so they have a chance to produce multiple eggs in one breeding. You may only keep one egg per clutch."

In the former case, maybe turning it on results in a temporary one week cooldown of ALL your Purples, which would tie fertility into the equation without making it oppressively time consuming to use.

ETA: Although, I think there's nothing wrong with the default 'on for everyone' system. We used to have it, and it's still in place for Holidays, so it's hardly a new thing. I can understand some lineages wanting to be kept personal, but I think the good of spreading things outweighs that, especially when, again, it's already that way in certain cases.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I would not mind showering extra rare / pretty / otherwise wanted eggs on the AP. In fact, I think it would be nice. But if I'm forced to use a BSA just to help other people out, I'm not going to do it. I already spend half an hour a week mass breeding nice things to the AP, I'm not slowing it down even more to slowly enable one by one multiclutch. :/

Some people might still use it (either for their own benefit--more odds at a shiny--or to be nice), but I think you'll see a severe reduction in the good it could do if it had to be implemented that way, and that'd be a real shame.

Accordingly I'd prefer it's either a default for everyone or some type of scroll setting you can flick on / off. If it needs to be kept "in-cave" than it could be something like "Enable Multiclutch: Use magic on your dragons / offer your dragons extra nutrients / whatever so they have a chance to produce multiple eggs in one breeding. You may only keep one egg per clutch."

In the former case, maybe turning it on results in a temporary one week cooldown of ALL your Purples, which would tie fertility into the equation without making it oppressively time consuming to use.

The point you address is a very good one, I'm afraid. Many of us would sure use fertility to boost our own chances at whatever we want - but not when breeding for the AP. I have no idea what else to suggest, though, but your idea seems to make sense.

The point you address is a very good one, I'm afraid. Many of us would sure use fertility to boost our own chances at whatever we want - but not when breeding for the AP.  I have no idea what else to suggest, though, but your idea seems to make sense.

True, however...

I woudl agree entirely with that, IF using fertility was the only way to enable multiclutches, which I do not support. I didn't THINK that was the case, though, I was of the impression that it didn't ONLY happen with Fertility use as the poster that suggested it proposed. I was of the impression that Fertility merely upped the chances. It could still happen anyway. JUST like breeding rares. You might still get a shiny, rare egg anyway, whether you used fertility or not. As I understood it that was how they suggested this.

Edited by Silverswift

In general I don't have much problem with multi-clutching, but there are some lineages that have tight rules and it could cause problems for them if eggs were auto-abandoned and went to people who were not members of that lineage. I would prefer to see a way to either turn it on for a specific breeding or a way to turn it off if you are breeding a pair that would be a problem if you got a multi.

@Silverswift - the historic multi-clutches could happen to either rares or commons -- I even got a 3-egg clutch once of two Golds and one common. Of course it was much more likely to get two, three, or four of the common breed, just as it is much more likely to get the common breed when breeding now.

In general I don't have much problem with multi-clutching, but there are some lineages that have tight rules and it could cause problems for them if eggs were auto-abandoned and went to people who were not members of that lineage. I would prefer to see a way to either turn it on for a specific breeding or a way to turn it off if you are breeding a pair that would be a problem if you got a multi.

@Silverswift - the historic multi-clutches could happen to either rares or commons -- I even got a 3-egg clutch once of two Golds and one common. Of course it was much more likely to get two, three, or four of the common breed, just as it is much more likely to get the common breed when breeding now.

So basically, each egg's breed was roled for seperately, as it were. So that, theoretically, you could get a clutch of all golds (( Though that would be VERY, very unlikely)?

There was a time where golds and silvers were so common that this kind of thing wasn't all that unlikely. xd.png Pity that I started about half a year after that phase, also known as the "long metal draught".

There was a time where golds and silvers were so common that this kind of thing wasn't all that unlikely. xd.png Pity that I started about half a year after that phase, also known as the "long metal draught".

My shinies are so stubborn I'd be happy with even ONE egg from them. dry.gif

But, on topic, how would you turn it off, if you DIDN'T want a multi? Just a tick in the account settings or... what?

So basically, each egg's breed was roled for seperately, as it were. So that, theoretically, you could get a clutch of all golds (( Though that would be VERY, very unlikely)?

Yes, I am pretty sure that is the way it worked.

As much as I'd love to see them come back, I don't think it's needed anymore.

The AP is already flooded and multi-clutches would just make it worse.

I have to agree with the no's. The ap is already flooded and the biomes (unless there is a new release) are usually packed with blockers. Adding multi clutches would just add more potentially unwanted dragons on top of the already unwanted / abandoned ones.