Lyricmaniac

Egg Multiclutches

Then there are those of us who have spriter alts and don't WANT multiclutches as some of us perfer picking where the offspring goes.

I am in total support of egg clutches. I was not on DC to experience them, and I think it's good for new players to have the "full experience" of DC. However, this decision is totally up to TJ.

The only thing is, this means less CBs. If the AP is clogged because of too many dragons, the only time you're gonna have a chance at getting that CB Silver you need is on the hour. alot.png

I think the problem is the people who want multiclutches aren't thinking things through and/or don't understand how they work.

I agree. It's bad enough when someone breeds their inbred 8th gen metal and dumps the single common to AP...I really do not want to see 2-4 of them being dropped from a single breeding. Or, as Olympe said, perfectly nice eggs that are not easy for anyone to match or use...like my balloon/albino checker.

I think the problem is the people who want multiclutches aren't thinking things through and/or don't understand how they work.

There is already an AP overcrowding problem, and since you can only ever take one egg from a multiclutch you are guaranteed to be dumping eggs into the AP if you get a multiclutch.

Again you can only keep one egg so unless you find and trade for the siblings you can't have "twins" and such.

They were useful when DC under-produced eggs to the extent that the cave emptied almost immediately and the AP was almost always empty and people bred all their dragons [admittedly fewer than the numbers on scrolls today] just to send them to the AP for other people to raise [it was also before lineage view for at least most of the time they were around and people didn't care about lineages since they couldn't be seen, all you knew was that it had parents and that you could click through parents until you hit caveborn, so these bred eggs were perfectly popular even if the lineages were horrendous by today's standards (they were also often inbred because you couldn't check the ancestry easily) ]

I see a lot fewer eggs when I visit the AP than I did about seven months ago, assuming I was even active then. The only times there is a wall is during/after a five minute Cave release (the term is blanking on me right now), and other times, it's nearly empty. So that excuse probably will not work here, as the lowest amount of time the eggs in the AP have right now is 6d-something-hour. The AP is not 'clogged' as much as it once was, and if people generally breed lovely eggs to put into the ap, more lovely lineages for everyone. If it becomes a problem again, TJ can always opt it in and out, as tedious as that may be. I know this idea will probably never get implemented, but that's my two cents.

/runs from the bricks.

But probably 70% or more of the dumped multiclutches would not be lovely... It would be bred blockers and commons.

And just because there is less of a problem now doesn't mean that we should do something to make it a problem again. A half or mostly empty AP is a good thing. After all, the stuff that sticks around isn't desirable stuff by nature, so you want to keep that population as small as you can and wait for the transient stuff, the golds and the tinsels and the stripes.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

In cases like that it shouldn't increase the chances of getting a rare.... That way there's no incentive to use it on a gold/silver x common pairing and pluck out the rare and dump the commons, or even worse end up with 4 commons to dump...

I don't know why people think fertility does nothing though, when I don't use it when I'm breeding for gifting I end up with maybe 3 eggs. When I use it I end up with 7 eggs, often before I'm done breeding so I might actually get 8 or more to gift. [and that's only the rares, after I've dumped the tinselfails]

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Maybe I should rephrase it.

This way, we can get everyone what they want. If TJ decides to implement the multiclutch in the male Purples, then people have a choice on using it or not.

If multiclutches are so bad and so good, why not make it optional?

TJ has stated this in his Fertility Rework thread.

If it was this, I would want it. I miss and prefer multi-clutches. However, due to the uneven distribution/pickup problem, I could see how people have a problem with it.

If it was optional, that would be great. :3

That way, we could have a common ground for people who don't want multi-clutch and those who do. Will it be abused by some? Sure. But, people are going to mass breed regardless if there's multi-clutch involved or not.

I say, if it's optional, then yes. I want it.

I don't know why people think fertility does nothing though, when I don't use it when I'm breeding for gifting I end up with maybe 3 eggs. When I use it I end up with 7 eggs, often before I'm done breeding so I might actually get 8 or more to gift. [and that's only the rares, after I've dumped the tinselfails]

I wish I got that kind of results from fertility. I admit that I usually only use it on stripes and rares, who are difficult breeders to start with, but out of the last 14 times I used fertility I have gotten exactly 2 eggs! I just started keeping records of when I have used it because it seemed to me that it was not doing much, but I had no proof. I realize that 14 breedings may not be enough to be sure, but so far I could do as well without using it.

Well, I'm breeding a lot of dragons. The commonest being trios, golden wyverns, and tinsels. The key to figure out how well it works is breed a set number of certain dragons to specific things with and without fertility multiple times and compare the results. That's what I've done without meaning to when I needed to let all my fertility cooldowns lapse and then again when I didn't have enough to use it on all the dragons and didn't use them on any.

And the problem is that even multiclutches for only those who want them can cause problems for the rest of us. Even a relatively small percentage of use could cause a significant increase in unwanted abandoned bred eggs. Heck, if it was implemented I'd probably end up using it so I'd get a higher chances of getting a rare to give to someone who doesn't have any, even though it is probably just going to cause problems on the AP. I don't do too much damage since I breed almost everything to dragons that can't produce their own kind [holidays, geodes, frills], its only tinsel fails that go to the AP.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

If I confuse anyone, I'm sorry.

ALSO, if this has already been suggested, I'm sorry! Please do not stone me!

The truth is, if you crossbreed most anything; different colors/species of cats, dogs, horses....people...

there is a chance of mixed heritage.

Now, I am NOT suggesting hybrids! I am suggesting a hybrid of eggs, though.

Say...I breed a sunsong with a blusang..

It would be nice if there was a rare chance (not sure HOW rare) that it produced a mix of sunsong and blusang eggs. Not sure how that would be calculated as far as chance of which eggs breed, but w/e. Perhaps by parent.

Say, if the father is a blusang, and the breeding produced 4 eggs (not sure that happens anymore, but just saying..cause it used to lol) most of the eggs would be sunsong, with a rare chance of perhaps a blusang egg. Or vice versa..

The rarer the dragon, rarer the chance of a mixed outcome of eggs.

I would also like this to be implemented with holiday breedings. I think it would be really cool and add something special. IDK what just..I think it'd be cool as heck!

I do not just mean, oh, let's breed a Sweetling to a Magi....and POOF....All sweetlings and one magi egg. (of course this ONLY WORKING ON SAID HOLIDAYS!..so before you get your shorts in a bunch and come at me for "breeding outside of season..READ THAT, K? k)

I mean, on Valentines day, I breed a Sweetling to a Radiant Angel, and the egg outcome is a mix of Sweetling and Radiant Angel eggs (now, I'm aware of the fact that BOTH of these breeds are MALE...ok, I'm not suggesting "homosexual" breeding, they were honestly the first two breeds that came to mind, so I used them. Deal with it. Pretend one of the breeds is female..it's not that hard.)

I think that, in itself, because people like to do a lot of things lineage wise with holiday dragons, would add an extra element or challenge, or surprise?

AGAIN, THAT'S DURING THAT HOLIDAY DRAGONS BREEDING SEASON ONLY!

-------------------------------------

I am not sure how up to date I am going to be with this thread. I honestly have a LOT going on in life and might not even have internet/computer access in a week so :/ and I rarely visit the forums other than to check a few things.

Please..be kind with your responses. Don't argue...

Debate, yes, argue...no...everyone is passionate about their own opinion.

Not sure how I feel about this suggestion. Right now I'm neutral. XD I figured I would wait for others to post their thoughts and mulling over them before coming to a decision. Leaning more towards support, though. :U

A few years ago, IIRC, dragons could breed more than one egg, up to four, but I can't recall if they could have more than one kind. I THINK they were only one of the breeds (or a hybrid if the pair could produce them) but I really can't recall since it's been so long. Dunno if I really want that kind of breeding back, as I think, like the holiday breeding, it required picking one of the eggs from the batch. Or maybe they could fit on your scroll, possibly leftovers being auto'd.

I really don't remember. XD

However, I do think the reason that it was changed to only breeding at most one egg at a time was to reduce the eggs in the AP. While cave blocking isn't really a thing anymore that the AP does, there would still be a huuuuuge backlog of eggs. o3o

Not OK with multiclutching all over the place, to be honest.I think TJ's suggestion (can't look just now) that purples could make that POSSIBLE is as far as I'd want to go.

Someone said that holidays DO sometimes produce a mix of eggs of that holiday, though. I've never seen it happen, but...

Holidays do produce a mix of eggs. At first they weren't, but when TJ saw it was happening he fixed it, because that was not the intent. Back when multi-clutching was possible for all dragons mixed clutches were the norm. Breed a black with a white and your chances of a mix of black and white eggs was high. It made getting the egg of the breed you wanted from a pair easier but contributed to overcrowding in the ap and made cave drops nearly impossible to access.

I do not support getting a mix of holiday and non-holiday eggs in holiday breedings. We can get non-holiday eggs all through the year from our holiday x non-holiday pairings, but we have only a small window of opportunity to get holiday eggs from those matches. People fill up mostly on holiday eggs and tend to ignore non-holiday eggs through that brief week of holiday breeding. Getting non-holiday eggs from pairings during their holiday breeding week would be a disappointment.

I do not support getting a mix of holiday and non-holiday eggs in holiday breedings. We can get non-holiday eggs all through the year from our holiday x non-holiday pairings, but we have only a small window of opportunity to get holiday eggs from those matches. People fill up mostly on holiday eggs and tend to ignore non-holiday eggs through that brief week of holiday breeding. Getting non-holiday eggs from pairings during their holiday breeding week would be a disappointment.

Yes... And if you promised a holiday egg to someone, but the one you kept was the one that wasn't a holiday?

I think I'd like it if it wasn't during the holidays.

Not OK with multiclutching all over the place, to be honest.I think TJ's suggestion (can't look just now) that purples could make that POSSIBLE is as far as I'd want to go.

Someone said that holidays DO sometimes produce a mix of eggs of that holiday, though. I've never seen it happen, but...

I've heard that rumor too, that Holdiday x Holiday produced both species. But what I've actually seen is the opposite. Not only are all eggs one breed, but all eggs of a certain pairing are all the same. For instance, the first year we had Shadow Walkers, every male Marrow x female Shadow Walker pairing produced Marrows. Its been like that since Holiday x Holiday came out, though which breed "dominates" seems to change (if memory serves).

I've heard that its a glitch, not sure if its been fixed yet.

In general, I prefer the BSA options to multi-clutch.

Cheers!

C4.

I'd promised someone a marrow from shadow walkers last year. First pairing was all shadow walkers. Second try was one marrow egg plus two or three shadow walkers. Mixed clutches can happen. This was later in the breeding season last Halloween. Since I've had a mixed clutching I'd say it's certainly possible.

As there is enough back log in the AP to have eggs sitting around for days I can not support multi-clutches coming back. We had them when the site was small to help there be enough eggs to go around. We have the opposite problem now.

As for Holidays, big no to getting non-holiday results. holiday x holiday can and does produce mixed results IF both are the same type ie Christmas x Christmas. It's not common, but it does happen. but most pairs are mixed holidays. Solstice (Christmas) x Sweetling (Valentine) for instance. So the breeding pool of like types is much smaller and that's why mixed results are not seen as often.

Hesitantly merged this. A lot of things have changed since the creation of this topic, so just be aware of that if you decide to read back through arguments. If they argument no longer applies, just skip over it.

Yeah, when multiclutches were possible, this was totally possible. However, multiclutches have been removed for a long time for non-holiday dragons and I think we still have plenty of people breeding plenty of dragons that we don't really need multiclutches back. There are so many eggs free in the AP. Now that it doesn't block the cave, I don't mind so much if they do come back, but dragons being able to produce up to four eggs again would significantly multiply what is in the AP and I don't want the backlog to become so giant eggs die in it without the chance to be grabbed.

I think I'd like it if we started out with 2 egg multi-clutches, to see how the AP reacted. There are some common x common pairings where a tad of bad luck and you're breeding weeks and weeks for the wrong breed. Being able to up the number of eggs from such pairings would give a higher chance of the correct common being produced.

I personally think that this would help the ratios. In the AP, eggs rarely (if ever) these days stay below 5 days for long. And honestly... I'll periodically go through, and keep eggs less than 5 days but only keep those that I really love if they have even 2 hours over 5 days.

More of the most common dragons in the AP = more that are incuhatchable = more that are raised = dragon gets more adults = dragon moves away from blocker status.

I wouldn't think this would either help or hinder the rare x rare pairings. You'd have the exact same chance of getting rares.

But I think I'd still prefer to see this as a BSA. Most of the pairings I have, I wouldn't bother giving it a multi-clutch boost.

Cheers!

C4.

As good as this sounds at first glance, I feel rather adverse to this suggestion. The thin is that, with held eggs, you can temporarily surpass scroll limits with held eggs. Which is just as wrong IMHO as being able to exchange an egg at will, as it allows you to pick the one rare in a clutch and dump the rest to the AP.

Ok, I thank everyone for their suggestions......but I was not necessarily suggesting 4 eggs all the time, and apparently people missed the point of it being an example :/

...and it kind of bothers me that -that- is what people are focusing more on. It's just a number I pulled out.

Anyway, I was not aware that the ability to produced mix eggs was ever there. I was MIA on DC for a long time. Been around since 08, but took a decently long hiatus.

I'm not really sure what else to say lol. I understand the point of there being too many eggs in the AP. Not going to like didn't really even think about that, then again...4 -was- just a random number I used, since I knew it was possible at one time.

Even so, I'd still like if this were possible, even if the eggs were a lower number. It's it, other than on holidays, still possible to get maybe 2 eggs from a breeding? I don't remember x.x I don't breed as much. I swear I did a breeding a few weeks ago and got a choice of like 3 eggs...but then again, I don't fully recall. A lot has happened, and it could have been a dream for all I know xd.png

I still think on holidays..it would be nice, even with a non-holiday/holiday. I understand peoples arguments of "you can get non-holiday/holidays any day". Yes, but I think the fact of it being a rare chance of getting that ON the specific holiday WITH a holiday dragon would make it...somewhat special, and interesting.

I personally, and honestly, still support the idea. But with others' suggestions tacked on...perhaps make it even more, especially if egg clutches are at a low number (again..not sure if every other time of the year it's only one dragon >< or two at max). But yeah..idk..

Also lol, @SockPuppet, just curious if there was a way to either auto-mate or message people (or multi-mass message a group of people if there is a lot) to PM someone to let them know their topic was merged, moved or deleted? I was really confused when i could not find my topic, even after having clicked it lol. Just asking xd.png

I honestly wouldn't mind having the possibility of multi-clutches back but I agree having it as a bsa might be nicest. That way if it doesn't matter which breed of egg I get, or if I'm breeding with a holiday in non-holiday breeding so I know what breed of egg I'll get I probably would prefer to only get one. Unless it's something common that I know people would really enjoy fishing out of the ap. I'd rather limit it to no more than 2 eggs, at least until we see what effect it had on the eggs in the ap.

I liked the idea of using fertility to increase chances of multiclutches. I believe in tjs thread, I had suggested one gender increasing chances of eggs (female), and the other increasing chances of a multi-clutch (males).

For those worried about the AP, and ratios: AP no longer affects the cave, and the backlog will still be there, more eggs or not. Ratios still came into play with the mixed results when multiclutches were a thing. Sure, people will likely cherrypick their rares out of rare pairings, but people like that tend to throw their fails in the AP anyhow. It doesnt hurt anyone, and it would be nice to see more Non-Prize metals and rares being offered up in the trade threads again, and randomly appearing in the ap. I would love the chance to throw more 3rd gen prizes (and fails since people seem to like mine) to the ap, rather than having to track down people who dont have the lines, or set up trades...I dont particularly care for trading. Besides, lower time eggs show up first, and dont stick around all that long.

Edited by Thuban