626lavaheart

City (or town?)

your opinion?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

EDIT: well this concept is flipped upside down with the halloween update... should we add a different more "main" town/city/capital or should we put the town Aliset on the map?

This has nothing to do with biodomes; it's actually a link to the forums.

I purpose that a city be added to the main island. likely as a extra link to the forums, this could evolve into a crossroads for ingame features (such as in-game marketplace) or forum sections, but that's only after the city is actually implemented.

A city on the main island on the map would actually be realistic. As I don't think all the "dragon breeders" around here are all hermits who live in caves; I'm sure at least a community would be located on the island.

I would think this city would be logically located maybe... here, here, here, or maybe between those two main rivers...

mostly it would be best to keep it on the coast (and by a river) in a place were the city's name can be written alongside...

Although this would have no real use game wise. I thought it would really be just a cute idea that would simply require a dot to represent the city's location and the cities name written in cursive next to it. It would act as a link to the forum. similar to how there are links on there for biodomes

also...

The idea of a incave market has been tossed around along with the ideas of this linking to several places in the forum. I would visualize that it would be a link to another map which looks like a city where you would click certain buildings or districts if it was a larger city, to move around similar to the already in place map but on a smaller scale. To eliminate the confusion of having several cities.

As for a name for the city... I will leave it more open to discussion, but I like the name Murof (which is the word forum spelled backwards tongue.gif )

List for names because there's probably going to be a few...

• Murof
  • Etis
  • Vehim
Edited by 626lavaheart

So...the only purpose of this is to link to the forums, which are already linked to up top?

Maybe. Like, if we have multiple cities that actually link to the different sections (Dragon Cave, General Discussion, Role Playing) or even subsections. Then maybe.

Edit: That's 3 cities vs. 12.

Edited by stogucheme

I 'unno. I imagine it just clogging up the map/confusing people. I won't say no, though. I'll stay neutral. o3o

Seems like a cute idea, and I like the name. ^^ This does make sense when thinking about how dragon breeders have a life beyond their cave. smile.gif

Oooh, I love the idea of linking to different sections.

Maybe the RolePlaying section could be called The Cave of Tales

General Discussion could be called The Debators Circle, The People's Agora, or Conversation Circle (something of that sort, but a place like that is called a Forum, so it's a bit odd.)

And Site Discussion could be called The Dragon's Mouth (as in the News/Help-mouth and Requests/Site-dragon)

Or if we're going with the backwards name thing

RolePlaying - Gniyalp Elor or just Elor

General Discussion - Lareneg

Site Discussion - Etis

Oooh, I love the idea of linking to different sections.

Maybe the RolePlaying section could be called The Cave of Tales

General Discussion could be called The Debators Circle, The People's Agora, or Conversation Circle (something of that sort, but a place like that is called a Forum, so it's a bit odd.)

And Site Discussion could be called The Dragon's Mouth (as in the News/Help-mouth and Requests/Site-dragon)

Or if we're going with the backwards name thing

RolePlaying - Gniyalp Elor or just Elor

General Discussion - Lareneg

Site Discussion - Etis

I like your names! They're cool. (I'd go with just Elor for the first, personally. Gniyalp doesn't seem to fit the style of the other names- like it's a totally different language.)

Hm...maybe we need an E for GD as well, though...can you tell I'm obsessed with similarities? xd.png

I 'unno. I imagine it just clogging up the map/confusing people. I won't say no, though. I'll stay neutral. o3o

that's why I was thinking near the coast so the name will spill out into the ocean and not tangle up in anything important on the land part of the map....

And

why I was thinking of keeping it to one city so it doesn't clog up the map... and all those names sound like the names of buildings within a city

I like the name Etis for a name... it could work.... (I think I'll make a list for names)

Edited by 626lavaheart

a cute idea but unnecessary to me...the forums link at the top pretty much gets the point through, why make it more complicated? jus' saying. :x sorry, i don't support.

I think it's a cute idea to have at least one city on the map. If you click on this city, you can go to different quarters for trading, role-playing and such. Also, it would be great to have this kind of link for an in-cave marketplace.

I really don't think this is necessary and it seems unnecessarily confusing to me. That is a no vote from me.

I think this would be more redundant than useful, sorry, a no from me. How many actually use the links to the biomes that are on the map?

Now that the post has been edited to say that it would have no real point other than to show that people live somewhere other than caves, does it change anyone's opinion?

I think this would be more redundant than useful, sorry, a no from me. How many actually use the links to the biomes that are on the map?

I know I don't. What I want is a permalink to the AP from the various biomes (not just when it is clogged !) Now that WOULD be useful !

I think it is a cute idea.

As mentioned, it would be redundant, but I don't see it hurting anyone (as long as it is just one city with a link to the forum I don't see problems with being too confusing.) People don't have to use it, it's just a fun little extra. I like your second proposal for placement best.

And because I like to keep things simple and don't want to complicate your suggestion (tongue.gif) how about in the empty space next to/below the city the place of 'the cave' is marked (as it also still exists in the description, despite it no longer having anything to do with spawning the 'caveborn dragons'), and that links to the AP (as the pile of abandoned eggs, according to the description, is still near the entrance of 'the cave')

It would make some roleplaying sense that, when there were only a few dragon keepers, they all got their eggs from some mysterious cave where all dragons dwelt for some reason, and now that there's so much more of them, they have to travel in order to catch 'wild' dragons, but they founded a city close by the original cave, that they still use to abandon unwanted eggs. (well, kinda...)

I think it's a cute idea to have at least one city on the map. If you click on this city, you can go to different quarters for trading, role-playing and such. Also, it would be great to have this kind of link for an in-cave marketplace.

Bolded for emphasis.

I think it's a rather cute idea, but agree that a general link to the forums on the map would be redundant and unnecessary. However, if we ever get the in-cave marketplace I think it would do well as a city.

Edited by Stealthypugs

Bolded for emphasis.

I think it's a rather cute idea, but agree that a general link to the forums on the map would be redundant and unnecessary. However, if we ever get the in-cave marketplace I think it would do well as a city.

ooh, I missed that. Yes, that is a great idea!

You could also name it Vehim ("forum" in Saurian, the same cipher used for TJ's Thuwed dragons. New releases even used to be written in it, back in the day... the first one I was here for I eagerly sat down and decoded it, not realizing it was a well-known cipher and the same one was used every time. LOL!)

ETA: If we ever get an in-game marketplace (which would be awesome), "market" is Muhbok in Saurian, which also sounds quite cool. :-D

Edited by tjekan

I am opposed to the biomes being outnumbered by other places, so if we put the forums on the map, I would only agree to one link, whether it is just a label or a link. o3o

I am opposed to the biomes being outnumbered by other places, so if we put the forums on the map, I would only agree to one link, whether it is just a label or a link. o3o

Same here. I always looked at the map as "this is where the biomes are located", not "a map for every place we can think of!". Multiple map-places for different parts of the forum seems waaayy unnecessary.

I don't even much like the idea of "city" to begin with, but I agree that *if* the in-cave marketplace ever gets implemented, it should probably go on the map.

I think I can we can all agree this is redundant, Because it is redundant (there's a link to the forum on each page) but, I myself picture the forum as a miniature city itself. so I though we should give it a real name and make it an actual place in-game. as right now it's not exactly connected at all to the game in a sense.

(the land the game's set in isn't even named... the namelessness of dragon cave really bothers me....)

but I also don't think individual places in the forum need a spot on the map that would be much to redundant because that's what the forum's for...

and I don't think in-cave marketplace should be considered right now... as it hasn't been implemented.

What she said. There are too many links in life...

You could just be replacing the name of the link "forum" to "city' or smth like that.

If not at least draw the cities in the map but make no link in them. It would be cool and keep it simple

Edited by thaenor

I don't believe this is necessary

I would approve it if all the links were replaced by a big map on which we would have our own ''Place'' where we would have our own dragons, The city as the forums, the Help as some sort of a hermit that lives in the mountains and we can go ask him about dragons. The shop would be at the hermit perhaps?

The login, logout and register would be at the bottom of the page

You could access the account settings from your own ''Place''

that I would approve of

I can understand people's desire for more roleplaying opportunities, but honestly it's refreshing to visit a website that isn't cluttered and is easy to read and navigate. The DC homepage is elegant and displays nicely in so many different browsers, even experimental ones. I appreciate the fact that TJ even keeps the ads to a bare minimum - there's none of those flashing banners or things that scream 'HELLO!!!' at you over & over again.

I'd have to put my vote in for 'no thanks'.