Skypool

Sexism

I would bother with more serious replies if you didn't cherry pick my posts to make fallacious points.

There's no reason for me to comment on ALL the other stuff when none of them were a reply to me, nor are they necessarily related to what I was responding to. You can leave it as is. I don’t care. Saying I made fallacious points without elaborating is pointless.

Plus, my post was mainly about your stats, which were just taken from feminists sites. That is no better than someone getting something from an MRA site. It's much better just looking the stuff up than expecting a biased blogger to tell you.

Being called a censorkip.gif* or a girl is less likely to hurt someone than being called a censorkip.gif**, manchild, loser, creep, etc. Those are more likely to be directed to someone who isn’ t well-adjusted, and they imply something worse.

Try telling that to someone who has been called a censorkip.gif*.

Those words aren't really comparable, anyway. Calling someone manchild, loser, or creep is commenting on their actions, while calling them a girl puts down an entire gender, and implies that being female is a bad thing.

I'm weird and don't find censorkip.gif* insulting (It's actually one of my favorite terms to describe myself. But again, I'm just weird like that) But I would have to disagree that it is a lower insult for those who care that much

I personally care more about the meaning behind a word than the meaning of the word itself (If someone called me an orange as an insult it would sting equally as much as someone calling me a censorkip.gif*)

But when you do think about meanings, there is a bit of a point there. referring to someone as a censorkip.gif* to insult them is partially an insult because it calls them female (though also largely because it calls them a dog) Which is kind of wrong dry.gif

EDIT: But don't mind me to much. I suck at putting my thoughts into words

Edited by MasterWeavile898

I'm weird and don't find censorkip.gif* insulting (It's actually one of my favorite terms to describe myself. But again, I'm just weird like that) But I would have to disagree that it is a lower insult for those who care that much

I personally care more about the meaning behind a word than the meaning of the word itself (If someone called me an orange as an insult it would sting equally as much as someone calling me a censorkip.gif*)

But when you do think about meanings, there is a bit of a point there. referring to someone as a censorkip.gif* to insult them is partially an insult because it calls them female (though also largely because it calls them a dog) Which is kind of wrong dry.gif

EDIT: But don't mind me to much. I suck at putting my thoughts into words

I agree that it's also about intent behind words for a lot of people. I don't mind using certain words to describe myself or having certain friends use them because I know they're joking.

However, a total stranger screaming them at me over a non-issue is a very different situation.

That's very true. The words that people choose to utilize as insults for strangers meaning's do matter (I used personally for a reason, a stranger isn't personal tongue.gif) And why those meanings are insulting is important. I saw a YouTube video on that recently, why we use the curse words we do

Did anyone else see Mike Huckabee's remarks this week on the war on women? They quote is pretty amazingly misguided.

“I think it’s time for Republicans to no longer accept listening to Democrats talk about a war on women. Because the fact is, the Republicans don’t have a war on women. They have a war FOR women. For them to be empowered; to be something other than victims of their gender. Women I know are outraged that Democrats think that women are nothing more than helpless and hopeless creatures whose only goal in life is to have a government provide for them birth control medication. Women I know are smart, educated, intelligent, capable of doing anything anyone else can do. Our party stands for the recognition of the equality of women and the capacity of women. That’s not a war ON them, it’s a war FOR them. And if the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing or them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it, let’s take that discussion all across America because women are far more than Democrats have made them to be. And women across America have to stand up and say, Enough of that nonsense.“

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/23/huck...om-uncle-sugar/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compos...or-uncle-sugar/

That’s not a war ON them, it’s a war FOR them. And if the Democrats want to insult the women of America by making them believe that they are helpless without Uncle Sugar coming in and providing or them a prescription each month for birth control because they cannot control their libido or their reproductive system without the help of the government, then so be it, let’s take that discussion all across America because women are far more than Democrats have made them to be. And women across America have to stand up and say, Enough of that nonsense.“

LOLOLOLOLOL. Cue godzilla facepalm, it's that bad. This is as bad as Todd Akin. I hope this guy gets laughed out of politics.

And isn't it the GOP who's waging the war against women because they don't want us to have BC? Idunno the democrats and general left-wing people seem to have done far more for women with regards to reproductive rights and health than the GOP ever has and this is just another point proving that....

But, again, this is disappointing because it focuses all on women, too. Why can't MEN control THEMSELVES too? Women shouldn't be the only ones having to control the libido. This really is a war on women. c_c

I don't understand what he has against birth control. We aren't babymaking machines. We can and do control our reproductive systems - what on earth does he think BC does? Kill everyone?

Misconstructing statements like these to target a party and/or politician is one of the worst things I see about sexism. Its not one of the best statements ever made, but: Most of the implications people interpret into his words are simply not there.

and those lead to a lot more hostile environment all around. Especially if the topic is something like gender/nationality, the need to enter more meaning into the "opponents" statements forces radicalism between the groups, segregating more instead of trying to communicate. Its very sad. But I see this done very often in gender debates, especially by radical parts.

I'm not going to touch the Democrat/Republican stuff above. Not being American, I don't really have the right to comment on American politics.

Sometimes I have to stay in to wait for a parcel to arrive. And with two Land Rover nuts in the family, sometimes these parcels are car bits, which are generally on the heavy side. Even when I know this, I still get annoyed if the postie just assumes that I can't get it just a couple of feet into the house on my own and tries to bring it in himself.

Excuse me?! Were you given permission to set foot inside private property? If I say I can handle it, then I can handle it.

To make it worse, the last postie to try this was a woman. That was an interesting chat to the coppers later that day, after she claimed to have almost been savaged by a pair of "vicious dogs".

The above has nothing todo with sexism, though. I've had the same thing happening to me twice last year.

The above has nothing todo with sexism, though. I've had the same thing happening to me twice last year.

What - someone told you you were a woman and the package was too heavy for you ? blink.gif

What - someone told you you were a woman and the package was too heavy for you ? blink.gif

No, post/delivery wanting to bring stuff into the flat/house because it is so heavy.

so it is not gender specific. I've also had some who wanted to dump it right on the road, too. So you'll never know what the next delivery will be like. wink.gif

The thing is that sometimes CAN stem from sexism, with the whole weak woman concept, although in general deliverypeople tend to be (sometimes overly) helpful so it's not usually sexism.

What are your thoughts about Sexism? Do you detest it or are you neutral to it?

Sexism According to Wikipedia: Sexism, also known as gender discrimination or sex discrimination, is the application of the belief or attitude that there are characteristics implicit to one's gender that indirectly affect one's abilities in unrelated areas. It is a form of discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex, with such attitudes being based on beliefs in traditional stereotypes of gender roles. The term sexism is most often used in relation with discrimination against women, within the context of patriarchy.

Sexism involves hatred of, or prejudice towards a gender as a whole or the blind application of gender stereotypes. Sexism is often associated with gender-supremacy arguments.

So this basically describes a good number of old school men, and all the hard core feminists. Man those hard core ones are absolutely psycho.

Gender neutrality is a hard issue to work with like race, religion, sexuality, etc. The problem is, someone, somewhere, some how, will always be offended no matter how things are changed up. With how corrupt majority of humans are getting and with how terribly immoral they have become, there is no way of being able to keep certain things traditional without causing a huge movement, with lawsuits, and all that lovely stuff.

I personally cannot see my self calling a police man 'policewoman' not because it is not ok, but I am not hardwired to do so. Years and generations of having been used to using male terms to generalize both men and women is a tough habit to break out of. Now then, is that any disrespect towards my fellow females? Not as I see it. I am not saying that generally calling all genders women is wrong and generally calling all genders men is right, it is simply a term we have come to acknowledge and define all genders since we can remember.

Another thing. I believe in chivalry to some extent. I love it when my man holds the door open for me, when he pulls out my chair, when he is showing he can give me all his attention and that attention is mine. One rule I feel should be revised in all males is "It is not right to hit a lady." It should be revised to "It is not right to hit a lady unprovoked." Now then, all rules can be abused, but seriously, if a woman is in your face and is getting ready to attack you, do not hesitate to give her a good punch to the face so she can calm the heck down. Some women deserve to get whacked in the face by men. Why? Because women take advantage of a man trying not to hurt her, because they know the law severely favors women. A woman beats the snot out of a man, "Oh shes just a woman, really? She beat you up, a grown man. How sad." A man defends himself against a woman and hits back, "Shes just a woman! How could you! You monster!! Why would you hit her?! Jail for you, lots of jail for you, you sexist pig!!"

To deal with sexism is to be able to logically see both sides of the coin regardless of whether one side is blue and the other pink. Murder is murder regardless of the gender, race, or religion. Rape is rape, regardless of gender, race, or religion. Abuse is abuse, regardless of gender, race or religion. Fraud is fraud, regardless of sex, race, or religion. Stripping a person of everything they have for your own gain is wrong, regardless of gander, race or religion. There are no ifs, ands, or buts. When we stop giving favoritism to both genders in their own ways, we will truly eliminate a big part of what sexism is. because it is not only a hatred of the opposite gender, it is favoritism towards your own gender to some extent.

I'm egalitarian. I call boys "dude" and girls "dude." I think that men who wear dresses are just as fine as women who wear pants. I think that if men can buy condoms and get vasectomies, women should be able to buy birth control and have their tubes tied without having to jump through hoops. In other words:

user posted image

It's pretty simple. smile.gif

"It is not right to hit a lady." It should be revised to "It is not right to hit a lady unprovoked."

That itself should be changed to "It is not right to hit anybody unprovoked."

I'm egalitarian feminist. I believe that all genders should be equal, but also consider females and other minorities to be facing more problems then white men, and therefore need more support and attention.

Edited by High Lord November

Couldn't agree more. Also, male spousal abuse is a thing. Men can be abused, too.

Sincerely,

a woman who hates sexism of any kind

I believe that all genders should be equal, but also consider females and other minorities to be facing more problems then white men, and therefore need more support and attention.

Pretty much this. Although I do think certain issues, like male spousal abuse, need a lot more publicity than they receive. It sucks that a woman can break out of her traditional gender role and get a ton of support from liberals, but straight men who do the same are laughed at. Like it's not okay to be feminine unless you're a woman or gay. dry.gif

Edited by Likewise

I was not told the BS "boys don't hit girls" well not by family members

my aunt told me

"if someone attacks me or takes my stuff I'm to fight back"

does that mean that I beat up girls YES, did I beat up boys YES

was I ever punished for it NO because they started it

did the girls moms come to school yelling a nasty boy hurt my little angel YEAH and after being told what happened they would say girls are allowed to attack boys

(and yeah I was the quiet kid with a book)

also I am now going to call all cops policewomen just to see what happens

The problems are actually pretty 50/50 its just the problems women have are given more attention and are spoken of a bit more because, well, we're women. There are many problems men face but they are seen as things men can deal with because, well, their men. The advantage we have as women is we can come out and yell to the world there is something wrong because we are women, we will let the world know something is wrong one way or another. We are comfortable showing emotion and displeasure/dislike at something. On the other hand, men can't really come out on many of the topics that can be an issue because, "You're a man you gotta deal with it. Man up" and personally to me that is unfair, biased, and definitely sexist.

@Inugami: Rock on hun, you put those little twits in their place. I admire your parents for having taught you that way. Never hold back when a crazy person is gonna try and start stuff. Man or woman, if they start stuff and can't finish it, they deserve their butts whooped no matter the gender.

On the other hand, men can't really come out on many of the topics that can be an issue because, "You're a man you gotta deal with it. Man up" and personally to me that is unfair, biased, and definitely sexist.

That's how I feel as well. I think everyone should be encouraged to deal with their own problems, but at the same time there should be no shame in asking for help, regardless of gender.

The problems are actually pretty 50/50 its just the problems women have are given more attention and are spoken of a bit more because, well, we're women. There are many problems men face but they are seen as things men can deal with because, well, their men. The advantage we have as women is we can come out and yell to the world there is something wrong because we are women, we will let the world know something is wrong one way or another. We are comfortable showing emotion and displeasure/dislike at something.

On the other hand, men can't really come out on many of the topics that can be an issue because, "You're a man you gotta deal with it. Man up" and personally to me that is unfair, biased, and definitely sexist.

But that entire statement implies that it's a terrible thing to be a woman, and that it's a good thing for someone to be less like a woman by 'manning up'. If men are making things harder on themselves while they were insulting women, are their problems really 50/50?

I find that women 'yell out to the world' not because they can, but because they have to. Injustices or unfairness regarding men are often fixed quickly because people in positions of power are still overwhelmingly male, so there is no need for rallies or publicity to fight for change like women have to do.

I think whatever gender is tasked with child bearing will be the one that always has more problems because that gender will never be able to shake off the definition of being a tool.

EDIT: Also I like the term Police Officer. Adding 'man' to the end to imply it's a human seems stupid because human is the default when animals already have distinctions like K9. So to me, policeman sounds gender specific.

Edited by Syaoransbear

@Inugami: Rock on hun, you put those little twits in their place. I admire your parents for having taught you that way. Never hold back when a crazy person is gonna try and start stuff. Man or woman, if they start stuff and can't finish it, they deserve their butts whooped no matter the gender.

Thanx I'm proud of my aunt

I'm egalitarian feminist. I believe that all genders should be equal.

Right on. I am no feminist; I am a peopelist.

I don't see violence as the answer to anything. Hitting a schoolmate back engenders more violence - I would only hit back if it were genuinely self-defence - as in if I didn't they would hit me some more.

I use "person" wherever I can, but prefer to avoid it - police officer works, actor and author can mean either sex, and I am particularly fond of "chair" xd.png

I am glad I am not a native speaker of German or French, where there are gendered nouns with their articles and therefore fewer options !

Edited by fuzzbucket