Skypool

Sexism

There actually are protections in place, but I think they would fear harassment as well.

Heels for a job in which it's unsuitable attire seems like it'd fall under OSHA laws here in the states, which are guidelines put in place to help ensure workplace safety - and I think that includes dress requirements that would not cause bodily harm, which imo, heels can certainly do so.

I think there's also protections in place for those who report violation of said rules, but I'm a bit fuzzy on it all.

This is a good point too.... even IF it weren't at least borderline sexist to say that women MUST wear heals.

Some people have reasons for NOT wearing them beyond 'Oh, I don't wanna.... like Starscream's feet making i t such that AT the least, finding ones that would fit ( NOT to say even fit WELL or comfortably) Would be difficult at best. My mom doesn't wear them either and for pretty much similar reasons. she has somewhat wide feet and bad bunions. Being TOLD that she HAD to wear heals to work would be a HUGE pile of 'nope' SO I would argue that it is almost more than a sexist thing even. That is to say that it is somewhat prejudice against those who ( Whatever the reason) CANNOT wear them. That might include some forms of disabilities, too, IMO, who couldn't wear them ( IF the person in question happened to have a prosthetic leg for example? NOT sure on that point, but you get the idea)... not even going with legit medical reasons that might preclude wearing heals.

Edited by Silverswift

This is a good point too.... even IF it weren't at least borderline sexist to say that women MUST wear heals.

Some people have reasons for NOT wearing them beyond 'Oh, I don't wanna.... like Starscream's feet making i t such that AT the least, finding ones that would fit ( NOT to say even fit WELL or comfortably) Would be difficult at best. My mom doesn't wear them either and for pretty much similar reasons. she has somewhat wide feet and bad bunions. Being TOLD that she HAD to wear heals to work would be a HUGE pile of 'nope' SO I would argue that it is almost more than a sexist thing even. That is to say that it is somewhat prejudice against those who ( Whateer the reason) CANNOT wear them. That might include some forms of disabilities, too, IMO.

It might be borderline abusive. It was the fact it was 2 inch heels which was required. Most of them had a pair of flats that came out as soon as the sticker managers left. One of the managers that insisted actually was female.

My stepfather was "mildly" sexist. He basically did not feel I was able to do the things I knew how to do, he turned down my offerings of assistance in matters pertaining to wood working equipment use. Could be because he is older and I am younger.

He also told me that making a boat would take skill - challenge accepted. I built that boat. He had very specific ideas of what women should do and what they should not do. I suppose I was a strange challenge to him. I am very much a tom boy.

I work in a male dominated field - so I can face sexism there. One of the things I find is - or have noticed, is that restaurants tend to want their women (servers) dressed in skirts and high heels. Checking labour regulations - this is actually illegal. Men and women's garmets should not differ in style. If the code is white shirt and black plants/shoes, then women should be able to choose flat soled shoes if they desire.

I did pose the question to one general manager, "If a man wished to wear a skirt, may he?" and she said, after a long pause, "yes, I could not discriminate."

Allowing the women an option ot wearing heels or flats (men can do this too if they choose) is important. If I were to work as a server, I would not wear heels. I do not deem them healthy. My feet are wide, even 1 inch heels hurt the hell out of my feet. My knees are already screwed. I cannot imagine having to wear heels like the poor servers had to when the entire head office converged on our restaurant. Imagine - 8 hours running food back and forth, across slick tiles, or grabby carpet. I felt bad for them.

I over heard something at work, that the owner had never hired women cooks before myself and the other girl. So for some reason we aren't viewed in a good manner as cooks, which is ironic because - "barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen." Concept.

In the kitchen there can be sexist moments. However I can be equally sexist back. Generally there - it is a bit of banter. I find banter acceptable providing both sides are okay with it.

I have not yet encountered a kitchen where it is viciously sexist. I am sure they exist, but I have been fortunate to avoid it.

Essentially, I will not put up with stuff that I deem true sexism. If someone says I can't do something because I am female - damn straight I am gonna do it.

The concept of child bearing... Okay, granted, females are the gender that does it naturally, but I am not going to have kids ever. So, like Syaoransbear said, that isn't gonna happen - I am 40 this year. So yeah, keep your childbearing opinions to your self and give me the treatment I need to lead a fulfilling and happy life. And yes, I have had people say "Oh you'll change your mind!" I dated a guy who took me to a friend who would attempt to charm me into having children with colourful metaphors I cannot repeat in here. Which immediately turned me off and told me in one sentence what quality of character she was. This guy simply did not understand that NO, I did not want children - Ever. Part of why i broke up with him. It would not work out.

My husband stands up for me in regards to sexist situations. He supports my decision not to have children. I generally ask about one a year if he is still okay with that. I do not really want to deny him that, but I was lucky in that he also feels the same way as I do. He knows what I like - better than that aforementioned boyfriend I had (he used to get my girly girl crap) - His coworkers wanted to go out paint-balling and asked if he wanted to come. He responded with "I'm gonna bring my wife." they groaned "Oh, don't bring the wife." to which he quickly replied "you don't know my wife." And we all had a blast.

Wow, when I worked in a restaurant as a waitress, wearing heels would be more likely to lose me my job because it would not be considered job-appropriate footwear. We were supposed to wear comfortable flat with good, non-slip soles.

I think I will find a new doctor. My friend uses this doctor as well and she says the doctor is baby crazy. I'm going to physio on friday at least. I don't know if they will be able to recommend an x-ray or not, I'm not sure what physio entails.

What's really stupid is that I told her that the females on my dad's side have a tendency towards poor joints. My aunt has had both of her hips replaced and one knee. My grandma was confined to a wheel chair. And still she did not give me an x-ray because she was paranoid it would affect my fertility and I absolutely must be dying to have a baby. rolleyes.gif I might tell her my husband has had a vasectomy.

I'd say report her to whatever medical board so that maybe something will be done to keep her from ruining other people's bodies for the sake of her personal beliefs. What she's doing is malpractice, plain and simple.

I might tell her my husband has had a vasectomy.

She'll probably tell you to get a divorce xd.png

I think I will find a new doctor. My friend uses this doctor as well and she says the doctor is baby crazy. I'm going to physio on friday at least. I don't know if they will be able to recommend an x-ray or not, I'm not sure what physio entails.

What's really stupid is that I told her that the females on my dad's side have a tendency towards poor joints. My aunt has had both of her hips replaced and one knee. My grandma was confined to a wheel chair. And still she did not give me an x-ray because she was paranoid it would affect my fertility and I absolutely must be dying to have a baby. rolleyes.gif I might tell her my husband has had a vasectomy.

Definitely find a new doctor, on top of that it is none of her concern whether you want to have children or not. Your body is not her jurisdiction regardless of whether she is a doctor. Report her to a medical board and tell them she is blatantly neglecting you health care over some crazy fear that you might want children. She is risking your well being for some personal view and that is not something a sound medical professional should do.

Had you expressed some concern then I can understand but if you don't plan on having children then she should do her job and quit mucking around in things that are not her bloody business. She is a doctor not a pregnancy consultant or a planned parenthood counselor so she should shut her trap and do her job. If she is so damn fascinated by babies she should have been a gynecologist or worked as a pediatrician. not as a doctor for adults.