Skypool

Sexism

feminism is good but its for women only

What part of "dismantling aspects of a male-dominated society that are HURTFUL TO MALE INDIVIDUALS" are you not comprehending here?

Because last time I checked, a lot of things that most of the feminists I've seen fight for actually benefit both males and females.

And if it helps males too... How is that "for women only"?

Edited by KageSora

And the idea that a man who fathers a child and then the relationship breaks up has to be punished, even if it was the woman who wanted the baby. And yes, child support is absolutely a punishment. I know a guy whose life is basically ruined thanks to a lady who decided to treat him as a winning lottery ticket: the baby she wanted AND as much money as she can squeeze from him. He isn't left with enough money to live. And the kicker is she's a horrible mother.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

And the idea that a man who fathers a child and then the relationship breaks up has to be punished, even if it was the woman who wanted the baby.  And yes, child support is absolutely a punishment.  I know a guy whose life is basically ruined thanks to a lady who decided to treat him as a winning lottery ticket: the baby she wanted AND as much money as she can squeeze from him.  He isn't left with enough money to live.  And the kicker is she's a horrible mother.

This. And I have heard of couples who wanted a baby, used a sperm donor, and then when the relationship fell apart, chased the sperm donor up for child support.

Edited by Nectaris

This. And I have heard of couples who wanted a baby, used a sperm donor, and then when the relationship fell apart, chased the sperm donor up for child support.

WHAT???? I mean seriously, that should be a basic protection that a sperm donor would have. If I were male I would never even consider it without an ironclad protection from child support.

I hope it was tried and failed miserably.

Frankly I dont even understand whats there to argue about, is it really news to you that feminism is all about furthering women rights ? I mean come on, ridiculous notion... feminism is good but its for women only, we're not trashing it or smth, just calling it what it is - women oriented movement for women only !

umm im a boy and i like feminism? D:

because hey equal rights and treatment! that's awesome! equality's awesome! :D

obv people can be extreme about it but people can be extreme about anything really and i dont like generalizations :'c

What part of "dismantling aspects of a male-dominated society that are HURTFUL TO MALE INDIVIDUALS" are you not comprehending here?

Because last time I checked, a lot of things that most of the feminists I've seen fight for actually benefit both males and females.

And if it helps males too...  How is that "for women only"?

yeah this basically i think owo;;

Edited by Switch

so,how does that then satisfy the label "feminism"?

is now everyone who does something that affects both genders suddenly a feminist?

-> not true.

WHAT???? I mean seriously, that should be a basic protection that a sperm donor would have. If I were male I would never even consider it without an ironclad protection from child support.

I hope it was tried and failed miserably.

It's being argued now.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/25...ld-support?lite

A Kansas district court heard arguments Friday in the case of a man who is being sued for thousands of dollars in child support by the state after donating his sperm to a same-sex couple he found through a Craigslist ad.

William Marotta, a mechanic, and his wife Kimberly are fighting the state’s contention that the man should be required to pay child support, arguing that a Kansas law requiring a licensed doctor to perform artificial insemination is antiquated.

Marotta says he drew up a contract with the two female partners without a physician’s supervision. The agreement with the mother of the child and her partner said that Marotta would not assume parental obligations, the man said. The child is now almost four years old.

And from further down the article...

That makes no difference, argued Timothy Keck, an attorney for the Kansas Department of Children and Families. The lawyer said that the couple, Angela Bauer and Jennifer Schreiner, used a catheter and syringe to impregnate Schreiner at home in 2009 without a physician present.

“This is not a case about a sperm donor contract, it’s about child support,” Keck said on Friday. “[Marotta] cannot get out of his support obligations because he didn’t follow state law. The contract they drew up means nothing.”

Bauer and Schreiner have separated since the artificial insemination, and have struggled financially because of an injury that left Schreiner unable to work. Marotta has said that he has seen the girl twice in her lifetime – once soon after her birth, and another time by coincidence at the Kansas State Fair. But he has never identified himself as her father, he said.

The attorney said on Friday that the contract his client says he drew up with the couple was central to the case, and said the state was persecuting Marotta to send a message about traditional family values. Swinnen cited paternity cases in other states, and pointed to a recent Kansas Supreme Court ruling regarding the rights of same-sex parents.

“Seeking only a male as a father is discriminating on the basis of gender,” Swinnen said.

This isn't really a conversation Id normally want to get into because I tend to get easily aggravated by the subject.. But I'll try my best..

Sexism in my opinion is stupid, whether it be against male or female. I think it's completely ridiculous that men and women are sometimes treated differently because of their strengths and weaknesses.

The Men: I have seen many commercials that show men being horrible fathers that don't know how to take care of a child, which in most cases isn't true. My father certainly knew how to take care of me. Men are also called unintelligent.. which ~again~ in most cases isn't true.

The Woman: I have also been called moody and "on my period" when I've had bad days. Nobody has the right to claim that I'm on my period just because Im having a bad day! I absolutely hate it when males tell me to go back to the kitchen and make them a sandwich... That isn't cool at all!! I'd probably poison and spit on their stupid sandwich if I was their wife/girlfriend! I have also heard men say that women should be in the army because they are two emotional.. Bull crap! I've also been told that men are "totally superior" because they are a little bit stronger and that apparently "More genius scientists are men".. (I have more for women only because I am a woman)

I really hope all off the retarded stereo types disappear, they make me so mad!!!!

EDIT: I read some of the posts and I realized I forgot to add something very important. My mother cheated on my father and they divorced. My mother found out she was pregnant before they divorced but hadn't told my dad. When I was born my dad took a test and sure enough I was his. (This part almost brings me to tears..) My father tells me almost every day when he sees me that the first time he laid eyes on me he was in love. He knew from that moment he was going to be the best father he could be to me. He held me for the first time for about ten minutes and was told that he had to leave. He was forced out of the hospital and didn't get to see me for three months. He tells me that those three months were the worst months of his life... He fought and fought to see me and the judge finally told him he could see me every two weeks for three days. That wasn't fair at all. My father was treated unfairly even though MY MOTHER CHEATED! Sigh....

Edited by maxjazz08

This isn't really a conversation Id normally want to get into because I tend to get easily aggravated by the subject.. But I'll try my best..

Sexism in my opinion is stupid, whether it be against male or female. I think it's completely ridiculous that men and women are sometimes treated differently because of their strengths and weaknesses.

The Men: I have seen many commercials that show men being horrible fathers that don't know how to take care of a child, which in most cases isn't true. My father certainly knew how to take care of me. Men are also called unintelligent.. which ~again~ in most cases isn't true.

The Woman: I have also been called moody and "on my period" when I've had bad days. Nobody has the right to claim that I'm on my period just because Im having a bad day! I absolutely hate it when males tell me to go back to the kitchen and make them a sandwich... That isn't cool at all!! I'd probably poison and spit on their stupid sandwich if I was their wife/girlfriend! I have also heard men say that women should be in the army because they are two emotional.. Bull crap! I've also been told that men are "totally superior" because they are a little bit stronger and that apparently "More genius scientists are men".. (I have more for women only because I am a woman)

I really hope all off the retarded stereo types disappear, they make me so mad!!!!

I 100% agree with you Maxjazz08!!! I too have been called moody and on my period because I was having a bad day.. I'm sick of it!!! As for the men, my father is an awesome dad and he isn't stupid.

I am not a feminist, Im neutral. I just wish both genders would stop being treated unequally.

Edited by Jazlindreal

Ok, so at least it's an unconventional circumstance. But it says they had a contract when the deed was done, so how can they dismiss said contract?

Ok, so at least it's an unconventional circumstance. But it says they had a contract when the deed was done, so how can they dismiss said contract?

There's certain contracts that are illegal/void by law, as you cannot override law with a civil contract if in the opinion of the law, it damages one side excessively. Example: you can't sell yourself into slavery, as freedom is a constitutional right.

This happens when you want to make money without thinking/checking with a lawyer.

Protection from payments for your children is only granted when you do donate at licensed sites. Thats true everywhere on this civilised side of the world.

I 100% agree with you Maxjazz08!!! I too have been called moody and on my period because I was having a bad day.. I'm sick of it!!! As for the men, my father is an awesome dad and he isn't stupid.

I am not a feminist, Im neutral. I just wish both genders would stop being treated unequally.

but feminism is the belief that women and men are equal...???

sexism gets me really upset. i'm really tired of being treated horribly for being a girl. people have catcalled me in the halls, and both my friends and i have been groped inappropriately during school. last year, we talked to our guidance councilor about it - he literally just told us "boys will be boys" and let it slide.

i just d ont get why its so hard for people to treat women and men equally???? this is stupid

but feminism is the belief that women and men are equal...???

sexism gets me really upset. i'm really tired of being treated horribly for being a girl. people have catcalled me in the halls, and both my friends and i have been groped inappropriately during school. last year, we talked to our guidance councilor about it - he literally just told us "boys will be boys" and let it slide.

i just d ont get why its so hard  for people to treat women and men equally???? this is stupid

Caution: Trigger Words

That councilor should have been fired for that, you never let something like that slide because it will teach guys it's okay to do that kind of stuff and the whole cycle gets worse and worse until they are committing rape because "boys will be boys"

And before anyone jumps on me I don't mean that as something that would happen to any guy. There are plenty of boys that know better than to do that kind of stuff. But the ones that don't and will actively molest a girl like that are already on a bad road and without correction they never get better.

Kinda leads into the whole "The absence of a no does not mean yes" thing

I see myself as a true feminist in that I want both men and women to be equal in all aspects. Equal pay, equal punishment, equal support. One thing I hate is that because of the whole idea of masculinity and femininity it's almost impossible for a man to disclose that he had been assaulted physically or sexually without ridicule. A man should be able to report such things without fear just as much as a woman.

Edited by Cecona

I totally agree with the person above me.

For me, it really sucks because some ppl in my country are really traditionalist. Traditionalism is fine and all, but they are really horrible.

After the one child policy had been placed in China, many people began aborting female babies just because they want a male baby. Even though China has only just gone through a transition from rural to modern, it's still a horrible act. I just can't understand how mothers would discriminate against any daughters they have, especially when they are women themselves... Luckily, this only happens in more rural areas.

I really loathe sexism because my father's side of the family is really sexist. I hold no grudges against my brother or the male sex, but my paternal grandparents have always, from the time he was born, doted on my little brother. Me, I only had my maternal grandparents whom treat everyone in our family the same. My mother's family is actually really nice because even though they were really traditionalist, they didn't really believe in unfair treatment because of the gender or anything and loved me all the same. However, my paternal grandmother was told by my paternal grandfather to ask my mum to abort me after they found out my sex. It's something that I've only recently acquired the knowledge of, but it really upsets me though I do my best to not hold it against them.

I also want equality, except for the women should be able to skive work if they are pregnant thing because its just plain evil to force a pregnant woman to work.

Edited by SoiledLove

That's just horrible! Just the idea that a male baby is more valuable than a female baby is mind boggling to me. If anything I would think they would want girls because girls are the ones that actually make the baby. No girls means that boy doesn't have a good chance of finding a girlfriend or wife and carrying on the family like I assume they would want.

Here in the U.S. a pregnant woman can go on paid leave when she reaches a certain point of the pregnancy. I remember very well when I was still in school that a teacher who was pregnant would be replaced with a substitute for a few months.

Here in the U.S. a pregnant woman can go on paid leave when she reaches a certain point of the pregnancy. I remember very well when I was still in school that a teacher who was pregnant would be replaced with a substitute for a few months.

Slight correction on this, the only thing guaranteed in the US is that a woman can return to her job after up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave and even that can possibly not happen if the company has layoffs while she's on maternity leave. And even then, there are exceptions depending on the size of the company, etc. From Wikipedia:

The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, signed into law during President Bill Clinton's first term, guaranteed maternity leave to many new mothers across the nation. It mandated a maximum of 12 weeks unpaid leave to mothers for the purpose of attending to a newborn or newly adopted child.[7] However, the act did not attain universal coverage as it included several limiting stipulations. In order to receive maternity leave, employees must work in a firm of 50 or more employees, maintain employment with the same business for 12 months and have accumulated at least 1,250 working hours over those 12 months.

Some companies allow a woman to use any accumulated vacation time as part of her maternity leave... when I had my daughter, that meant I had five weeks off unpaid, plus one paid, because I had worked there *just* long enough before needing to go on leave to have accumulated some vacation time. As it is, I went back to work just four weeks after having my c-section, because I was put on bed rest due to pre-eclampsia a couple of weeks before I actually had the baby, and quite frankly couldn't afford more unpaid time off even though I technically qualified for more time off.

Oh, yikes I didn't know those details. I just know that teachers would have babies and then come back after awhile.

That's just horrible! Just the idea that a male baby is more valuable than a female baby is mind boggling to me. If anything I would think they would want girls because girls are the ones that actually make the baby. No girls means that boy doesn't have a good chance of finding a girlfriend or wife and carrying on the family like I assume they would want.

IKR? But, of course, to me they are equally important.

In China the rate of females to males is something like... 7:8

Luckily, this stuff has gotten better over the years.

It's some places like India that we should really discuss. When women are assaulted there, there is no blame on the men that assaulted the woman in court. I think that is really horrible.

Edited by SoiledLove

My cousin....has a friend.....who goes to a scool.....where the guys.........announce all kinds of lovely information about..guy...stuff......and walk up behind girls, grab them, and pretend to, as my

cousin and i say it, "get busy" (it's not at hard to figure out).....O.o And then they run away. But my cousin's friend used to whip around and punch them where they don't like to be punched (once again, not hard). And the people who own the school and stuff don't care, and they totally don't do anything.

Wow... just wow. How can they do nothing? Aren't parents and students outraged by this?

That's just horrible! Just the idea that a male baby is more valuable than a female baby is mind boggling to me. If anything I would think they would want girls because girls are the ones that actually make the baby.

I.ll try to explain the reasoning:

As poor farmer, all you have to work the fields are yourself and your family members.

sons typically stay with their parents, daughters go to their husbands house, often taking a generous dowry out of the household. If you are allowed only few kids, your workforce will additionally stressed by having daughters. They, and their kids, will not be available to work the fields, and take money/valuables with them when they wed!

Its n big wonder, 1-child policy was changed often to account for such shortcomings. (farmers, minorities, they got various other regulations.) China is still misding a couple million women in some years. They need to "import" wives from other countries, like korea.

I suppose that makes sense but that still does not excuse them. Sexism is sexism.

I like sexist people.

I like laughing at them, that is.

They just seem to spill the most hilarious gems imaginable.

Like a small child's ramblings about cooties.

It's so cute and stupid that you just want to giggle at it.

How antiquated and silly.

I suppose that makes sense but that still does not excuse them. Sexism is sexism.

True, but you'll need to pick one poison. On the one side, you say its their body, their decision, no one should be forced to carry a baby if they cant afford it. And as a poor rice farmer in china, the difference between a daughter and a son mightbe the difference between being above or below a starvation line. So, while i'd never do this, I can totally understand this.

True, but you'll need to pick one poison. On the one side, you say its their body, their decision, no one should be forced to carry a baby if they cant afford it. And as a poor rice farmer in china, the difference between a daughter and a son mightbe the difference between being above or below a starvation line. So, while i'd never do this, I can totally understand this.

No one should be forced to carry a baby if they don't want to, not if they can't afford it. If a poor woman wants to have a baby she can have a baby- won't be easy but it's her choice.

It's different, however, when a child is wanted and the only thing that decides it's fate is what gender it comes outs. It shouldn't matter what the outcome is, but it does in that society because that's how they have been taught- that men have more worth and are able to do work while women are a drain and are only good for making more babies. So While, again, it may make sense it is still no excuse.