TJ09

2011-08-03 - State of the Cave

People love the Reds as Incubators so the BSA is another reason people want to have bunches of them.

Thanks for the info, TJ. It helps people plan what to do in the near future.

*bred blunas and waverunners for the AP* Wow, they went fast!

I have 100 Reds and run out of them...

Wow, really? Strange. I incubate 21 eggs the first week, 21 more the second, start on the last group of reds, and the first group of reds are ready to go again. So far it's worked great. It's not just the incubate, I love the reds. biggrin.gif

when i went to go move my new adult dragons i saw the holiday stuff and was like 'lol wut now?'

mrr... last time i breed my reds i got 5/6 eggs...? then again that was like last month......

Our TJ is an awesome TJ. biggrin.gif Thank you! Especially for the random stats insight and the guaranteed 5 minutes of hunting on the hour. Usually that's all the desert needs to empty out. laugh.gif

*goes to try and get more Reds*

Thanks, TJ, for the population information. I hope you will keep us updated on a regular basis as things shift.

I am not sure I really like all the holiday stuff cluttering the account page, though.

Thanks for info TJ, its greatly appreciated smile.gif

I don't mind the holiday stuff on the account page, but it looks a bit un-organzied. Not sure if its just my browser (currently on IE), but there's a big gap between review user descr. and the tree decorating that is under it. The second column could use some space from the first column, the words in the first look like they are running into it.

Thanks for the update. I wondered why the reds weren't breeding, I'll know to stop trying now. Good to know about the blunas too.

Thanks for reducing the hourly drop being blocked by the AP too. A big improvement

Because "overpopulated" means exactly what you are saying: They are harder to find.

OK. I guess I didn't make myself clear, or perhaps I'm simply missing something.

I understand that when a breed is overpopulated, they become harder to find. However, doesn't the fact that they ARE overpopulated now mean that at some point in the past they were easy to find? If not, how did they GET overpopulated?

I've been looking for these dragons for months, and have rarely seen them either on the AP or in the caves. Either

1) I'm just extremely unlucky, and kept missing them every time they come out

or

2) This overpopulated status goes back a LOOOONG time...

or

3) The stats are off (naah...stats never lie...) and there aren't as many of the wee beasties as the system thinks there are. Not sure exactly how this works. Does it include adults in its calculations? If so, maybe the overpopulation is mostly adults that are on peoples' scrolls which would explain the apparent discrepancy but not help those of us who are trying to grab or breed the little buggers.

In any event, it's annoying. But hopefully short-lived.

edit: and I take some solace in the glories being underpopulated. I hadn't noticed since I've been spending most of my time prowling the alpines looking for ridgies. Guess I get to go camping in the forest for a while.

Edited by Aliantha

Thanks for the breed stats, it's always nice to know how the population fluctuates smile.gif

i dont think we really need the links to the holiday stuff.

why would i go to account then press the holiday link when i could just press the badges. now it looks kinda clutterd in the account section.

OK.  I guess I didn't make myself clear, or perhaps I'm simply missing something.

I understand that when a breed is overpopulated, they become harder to find.  However, doesn't the fact that they ARE overpopulated now mean that at some point in the past they were easy to find?  If not, how did they GET overpopulated?

I've been looking for these dragons for months, and have rarely seen them either on the AP or in the caves. Either

1) I'm just extremely unlucky, and kept missing them every time they come out

or

2) This overpopulated status goes back a LOOOONG time...

or

3) The stats are off (naah...stats never lie...) and there aren't as many of the wee beasties as the system thinks there are.  Not sure exactly how this works.  Does it include adults in its calculations?  If so, maybe the overpopulation is mostly adults that are on peoples' scrolls which would explain the apparent discrepancy but not help those of us who are trying to grab or breed the little buggers.

In any event, it's annoying. But hopefully short-lived.

edit: and I take some solace in the glories being underpopulated.  I hadn't noticed since I've been spending most of my time prowling the alpines looking for ridgies.   Guess I get to go camping in the forest for a while.

Mainly overbreeding on our part. Supply and demand, that kind of thing. When the value goes up (values that we assign to them ourselves, based on a variety of factors) people are going to be breeding them more.

Edit: At least I think so. |D

Edited by Mustangs44

Does it include adults in its calculations?

Yes. So far as I know, the "population" of a dragon type is all the adults and frozen hatchlings on people's scrolls. EDIT: Just those raised in the past year, thanks for the info siliconrose and purpledragonclaw! smile.gif

However, doesn't the fact that they ARE overpopulated now mean that at some point in the past they were easy to find? If not, how did they GET overpopulated?

They can also become overpopulated by breeding. For instance, people have been breeding Reds like crazy for incubates. Since they kept/traded those eggs, you wouldn't have seen many in the AP, but the population still rose dramatically.

Edited by smileytechie

Umm . . . I'm not sure the account page really needs to be cluttered up with randomness. It's getting a bit busy in there. Is there a reason why the badges didn't suffice?

I almost wish I had a Glory project to be working on now.

I am actually having difficulty finding the reference, but I believe TJ has stated that the ratios are based only on dragons from the past year.

Edit: Thanks for the reference, purpledragonclaw!

Edited by siliconrose

Umm . . . I'm not sure the account page really needs to be cluttered up with randomness. It's getting a bit busy in there. Is there a reason why the badges didn't suffice?

This was actually my question, don't really see the use of that, but if it makes ya happy TJ x3