TJ09

2011-08-03 - State of the Cave

xd.png I just saw this. Thanks for the random breed stats! It's nice to know about this stuff laugh.gif

Thanks for the cave-unblocking during the first five minutes of the hour. And for the random breed information. I already bred a few lovely blunas (2 out of 3 matings). And I'm so looking forward to grab a few more glories. (Finally!)

Thanks TJ I find the random breed stats to be especially helpful as I know what to breed if I want to increase my number of a particular breed that may not dropping in great numbers in the biomes any longer. Thank you. biggrin.gif

This was actually my question, don't really see the use of that, but if it makes ya happy TJ x3

Someone told me it's because on certain browsers the badges don't work. *shrugs*

I thought red dragons were already going rare. Does not mean that they are going to be next to non existent in the cave?? I just started a (private)project that involved reds...change of plans I guess. -.-

Aw! I wanted to make my next batch of eggs all red!!!!(I really need more incubators!) Guess the pinks will get a turn!(Wonder how long before they become overpopulated....)

Welp it's a good thing I've recently joined a waverunner lineage. Now to start breeding blunas...

Reds haven't stopped breeding, as I got two 2nd gens out of my 4 CB pairs this afternoon, and also picked up an Albino in the Cave. It doesn't seem to a big difference yet.

Reds haven't stopped breeding, as I got two 2nd gens out of my 4 CB pairs this afternoon, and also picked up an Albino in the Cave. It doesn't seem to a big difference yet.

Unless I'm misunderstanding (again, lol) i think that TJ just meant that they had been becoming harder to breed/catch than they had been (something I'd been noticing for a while) because of the current population levels, not that they'd stop being produced, or that anything had been deliberately changed by him.

I noticed that the Moonstone dragons haven't had their description fixed yet. You may want to take a look into that as well.

The cave seems to be blocked for access longer now, every day (9 - 10 am and longer my time - 3 - 4 am cave time I think).

Is there a reason for it? Usually it's only for about 15 - 30 minutes, now it's almost 1,5 hours...

Thanks for the updates.

About the Moonstone descriptions being updated like mentioned above...

Will the sprite for the ungendered Moonstone hatchling be fixed? There are some white pixels in the loop of its tail that should be transparent. I'm not meaning to be super picky but on a dark background this is really annoying.

Edited by Zucni

Thank you TJ, I'm definitely glad to know that there's gonna be a semi-guaranteed unblocked drop at the top of the hour now. That was one of my biggest annoyances.

Random Breed Stats

Note: This is a glimpse into how things currently are. No changes have been made to these breeds.

Overpopulated (will be harder to find or breed): Albino, Ridgewing, Red

Underpopulated (will be easy to find or breed): Glorydrake, Waverunner, Bluna.

Good to know. Time to go breed Blunas and Waverunners. cool.gif

Someone told me it's because on certain browsers the badges don't work. *shrugs*

Oh, well, if that's the case, then that makes sense. smile.gif Thanks, TJ!

Mainly overbreeding on our part. Supply and demand, that kind of thing. When the value goes up (values that we assign to them ourselves, based on a variety of factors) people are going to be breeding them more.

Edit: At least I think so. |D

Ahh...yes. I forgot to take into account bred dragons that stayed on peoples' scrolls. Silly of me. OK.

Edit -because even I couldn't tell what I was getting at with my original response tongue.gif

In a perfect world, I would expect to see that all species of a similar rarity would appear in roughly equal numbers in the cave and AP. This might result in some species actual population getting skewed because fewer or more of that species were also being bred and kept on peoples' scrolls, but that doesn't really bother me. The important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that everybody have an equal chance to get an egg of a given species and not have that likelihood stymied because other people are breeding that species more heavily.

To use an analogy, the now ubiquitous trading card game, "Magic the Gathering," is released in packs containing 1 rare, 3 uncommon, and 8 common cards (the actual ratio varies from release to release, but this will do for the sake of my argument). Taking only the common cards into consideration, suppose you are looking for the specific card, "Fireball". The card may not be present in the pack (analogous to a specific egg not being present in a particular drop). But you would have every confidence that, in the long run, Fireballs would show up just as often as any other card. You just need to buy more packs.

The way things are now, it is as if the omniscient gurus at Wizards of the Coast decided, "hey...people have too many fireballs already...They are so useful that nobody is throwing them out. But see here, there aren't as many Plague Rats out there because people are tossing them in the trash as soon as they receive them. We need to stop producing as many overpopulated fireballs and start producing more underpopulated Plague Rats!"

This makes sense from one vantage point - the population of each card is being kept roughly equal. But it doesn't help the new player who just wants a Fireball, and buys pack after pack after pack of cards trying to get one, getting repeatedly frustrated by the fact that he never does.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I understand now HOW TJ does it. I still wish it were done differently, though.

Edited by Aliantha

Oh. Goodness. T_T I've been trying to breed my Ridgewing for WEEKS. FOR WEEKS. Not one egg. D: