TJ09

2011-08-03 - State of the Cave

Oh neat, an update.

Thanks, TJ! The more work done on the site the better it gets. The overpopulated/underpopulated stuff is pretty cool, albeit that I'm not the breeding type.

Ahh...yes.  I forgot to take into account bred dragons that stayed on peoples' scrolls.  Silly of me.  OK.

Edit -because even I couldn't tell what I was getting at with my original response  tongue.gif

In a perfect world, I would expect to see that all species of a similar rarity would appear in roughly equal numbers in the cave and AP.  This might result in some species actual population getting skewed because fewer or more of that species were also being bred and kept on peoples' scrolls, but that doesn't really bother me.  The important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that everybody have an equal chance to get an egg of a given species and not have that likelihood stymied because other people are breeding that species more heavily.

To use an analogy, the now ubiquitous trading card game, "Magic the Gathering," is released in packs containing 1 rare, 3 uncommon, and 8 common cards (the actual ratio varies from release to release, but this will do for the sake of my argument).  Taking only the common cards into consideration, suppose you are looking for the specific card, "Fireball".  The card may not be present in the pack (analogous to a specific egg not being present in a particular drop).  But you would have every confidence that, in the long run, Fireballs would show up just as often as any other card.  You just need to buy more packs.

The way things are now, it is as if the omniscient gurus at Wizards of the Coast decided, "hey...people have too many fireballs already...They are so useful that nobody is throwing them out.  But see here, there aren't as many Plague Rats out there because people are tossing them in the trash as soon as they receive them.  We need to stop producing as many overpopulated fireballs and start producing more underpopulated Plague Rats!"

This makes sense from one vantage point - the population of each card is being kept roughly equal.  But it doesn't help the new player who just wants a Fireball, and buys pack after pack after pack of cards trying to get one, getting repeatedly frustrated by the fact that he never does. 

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.  I understand now HOW TJ does it.  I still wish it were done differently, though.

That's a great comparison which explains the situation beautifully!

Edit: wanted to thank TJ for the lovely 'regular Cave maintenance' notice.

That ought to put a number of potentially worried minds at rest!

Edited by Syphoneira

How is overpopulation of reds even possible? Incubate, incubate, incubate. Especially since we're allowed to get more eggs. tongue.gif We need more reds to make room for more eggs.

Now if only CB blacks were 'underpopulated...'

Just want to say Thank You for the 'site maintenance' notice. It's a tremendous relieve to see a message like that instead of the site just 'not loading'. smile.gif

Ahh...yes.  I forgot to take into account bred dragons that stayed on peoples' scrolls.  Silly of me.  OK.

Edit -because even I couldn't tell what I was getting at with my original response  tongue.gif

In a perfect world, I would expect to see that all species of a similar rarity would appear in roughly equal numbers in the cave and AP.  This might result in some species actual population getting skewed because fewer or more of that species were also being bred and kept on peoples' scrolls, but that doesn't really bother me.  The important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that everybody have an equal chance to get an egg of a given species and not have that likelihood stymied because other people are breeding that species more heavily.

To use an analogy, the now ubiquitous trading card game, "Magic the Gathering," is released in packs containing 1 rare, 3 uncommon, and 8 common cards (the actual ratio varies from release to release, but this will do for the sake of my argument).  Taking only the common cards into consideration, suppose you are looking for the specific card, "Fireball".  The card may not be present in the pack (analogous to a specific egg not being present in a particular drop).  But you would have every confidence that, in the long run, Fireballs would show up just as often as any other card.  You just need to buy more packs.

The way things are now, it is as if the omniscient gurus at Wizards of the Coast decided, "hey...people have too many fireballs already...They are so useful that nobody is throwing them out.  But see here, there aren't as many Plague Rats out there because people are tossing them in the trash as soon as they receive them.  We need to stop producing as many overpopulated fireballs and start producing more underpopulated Plague Rats!"

This makes sense from one vantage point - the population of each card is being kept roughly equal.  But it doesn't help the new player who just wants a Fireball, and buys pack after pack after pack of cards trying to get one, getting repeatedly frustrated by the fact that he never does. 

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.  I understand now HOW TJ does it.  I still wish it were done differently, though.

Your analogy doesn't take into account breeding. If the cave were the only source of eggs, then everything would be a lot simpler. The distribution of CB eggs is easy to control.

Wizards of the Coast doesn't allow people to take their own existing cards and make more of them.

Not any more. Cave Plumbers took them off of the blocker list at least a month or two ago. I would say that the albinos haven't been much of a blocking problem since the update rolled on through.

Your analogy doesn't take into account breeding. If the cave were the only source of eggs, then everything would be a lot simpler. The distribution of CB eggs is easy to control.

Wizards of the Coast doesn't allow people to take their own existing cards and make more of them.

Hi, TJ!

Speaking from the peanut gallery, lol:

I think the point she was trying to make was that as the game creator, your concern is with trying to keep certain percentages among the various dragon breeds stable in relation to others, whereas the concern of many players is to be able to collect the dragons we actually want/need and to be able to catch/breed them with reasonable time and effort put in.

So, in some respects, there's a great deal of variance in perspective as to what's desirable, in that your aims are in regard to maintaining the game's (I assume original) basic set-up regarding ratios, which may be contrary to what a number of of the players would regard as a more enjoyable game direction, in something more attuned to growing player populations and widespread personal player's requirements in actually acquiring what they'd like among the numbers of various dragon species available.

This is your creation, which you've set up in the manner you've desired, with your interest centred on game functions carried out in a certain manner.

Player's interests are more typically aligned with our ability to add to the collections we're here to make and/or our ability to create and carry on lines and lineages that we like to share among others, which are in many cases dependent on dragons no longer possible for some to obtain, and on the production of eggs of types of dragons which may not be produced for months or years, under the current system.

So there are some areas in which the basic focus varies a great deal, which places game creator/many player interests in opposition to each other, as the game mechanics, based as they are on 'balance' ratios of available dragons rather than player numbers or demand, do create numerous problems for players, even if some are apparently not bothered by these.

At least, I'm assuming that's the point - that's the way I perceive the situation, at any rate.

Edit: rephrased part of a sentence containing plural references and left the last bit singular... gah! lol

Edited by Syphoneira

Thanks TJ for the updates.

NUUU my ridgies! My lineage projects! *sob* all my plans and trades and pending ious... *plots to determine tj's favourite thing and take it from him*

NUUU my ridgies! My lineage projects! *sob* all my plans and trades and pending ious... *plots to determine tj's favourite thing and take it from him*

lol, remember that TJ didn't actually change anything. the dragons he listed ALREADY have had those statuses.. he's just letting us know what's going on with them. it explains why i've been having trouble getting the ridgewings i need for my breeding project, lol

On the mobile site on my Android, the spitfire eggs on the AP has a black box around them. The other eggs have been fine so far.

Weird... I keep breeding guardians and reds, and get red eggs. Go figure.

Not that I'm complaining I need more reds. Just find it odd.

Ooh! It's mobile now?! Does it work on an LG flip-phone or anything like that, or just Androids and whatnot?

Weird... I keep breeding guardians and reds, and get red eggs. Go figure.

Not that I'm complaining I need more reds. Just find it odd.

LOL. You're just lucky, I guess!

Woot Woot! More BLUNAS! Bring on the Blunas baby! Thanks a bunch TJ we all love you!

~Niva