Obscure_Trash

Cave Feedback

EDIT: lolTJninja.

Edited by Lythiaren

Yes there was. And they kind of sucked, because you got locked with four eggs or four hatchlings, because eggs and hatchlings were lock-step with each other.

If you worked things extremely well, you could have up to nine hatchlings, but you couldn't catch anything else until you had less than 4 hatchlings again (then you could breed your own eggs). Basically, you only could hunt twice a week if you used Incubate religiously.

I much prefer things as they are. I'm locked, but I have about 16 things growing up on my scroll, and they hatch/grow up in waves, so I can fully hunt every other day or so.

Lol, why do I answer anyway?

Edited by Amut un Rama

This is kinda random, but I REALLY am not fond of the egg limits. I'm new here, so can anyone tell me if there was a time before egg limits (I don't mind egg/hatchling limits) and what it was like?

The limits are BETTER NOW than they were before!

There is no more egg - hatchling inter-related locks. Now, if you are locked on eggs it no longer affects your ability to catch hatchlings until you reach the total limit. No more juggling hatching times of eggs and growing times of hatchlings

There is the the increase in the number of eggs/hatchlings...so we get a LOT MORE than we did before under the old system. Under the old system the absolute most you could possibly have on your scroll at any one time was 9 growing dragons and even then it took very careful timing to arrange to have all 9 slots filled. Now people can have between 12-21 growing dragons at anyone time.

Population graphs? No. Trending data I'm significantly less opposed to. Those who have been around for a while might recall that I used to do this randomly in chat.

Perhaps include it in semi-regular news updates.

And now for your weekly weather report...On Tuesday we're looking at a high of 9,000 mints, and Wednesday has a 20% chance of bees summonfails.

*giggle* I love the idea of that news report. Trending data would be awesome from time to time. That's more than enough information to satisfy any of my concerns.

Also just gunna toss it out there since we're all talking about it now, I love the new limits <3 It's great to not have to wait for my last batch of hatchlings to grow or getting rid of them to get the fabulous new release eggs. On a related note, I love how releases have been working the last couple of times. You don't have to be there during the first drop to get them, and you also don't have nothing but the same eggs for a month afterward. It's a very happy medium. Timing has also been pretty good as far as I'm concerned. Long enough to catch and raise new releases without being stressed about newer ones smile.gif

Edited by 00n0b0dy

I agree wholeheartedly with the new limits and releases. I locked down hard the other night, had 7 eggs growing at once, had to speed-hatch an egg as fast as I could as soon as it hit 3d23 so I could make a trade... I still have 6 of those eggs left and it's awesome to be able to hatch those and then immediately hunt for the new stuff instead of waiting for everything to grow up. I've burned through 7-8 incubates in the past two days! xd.png

Cinnamin, numbers, in regards to this game, are details. If a game (not saying DC specifically, but just "a game" in general) is based entirely on ratios - numbers - requesting numbers is requesting something that is basically a core mechanic to the game.

olympe, I chose her post to respond to because I wanted to respond to it. You're both asking for details/numbers/statistics, so it doesn't exactly matter who I chose to respond to. Technically I could respond to anything in this thread with whatever I wanted, but that'd get in the realm of off-topic/spam.

~!~, yes, open-source games exist, but when a game is not open-sourced it's rather silly to continually demand it be open-source. But I tend to forget that we focus on the silly here.

I love that the conspiracy theories still abound here even after a multi-month absence.

Well no, olympe. The Pokemon book does not say "When not under the effects of Lucky Chant or Focus Energy, Razor Leaf has x% chance to crit". It takes a lot of number-crunching, a lot of reverse-engineering (aka theorycrafting), and a lot of ingame testing to figure out underlying formulae for games unless you rip out the whole program, decompile it and study the raw code.

The problem is that if you give people the input and output of a program, it becomes significantly easier to figure out exactly how the program works. Once you know how the program works, it becomes very easy to locate and exploit any bugs therein. Yes, even on DC; there is no such thing as a bug-free program unless it's "Hello World".

EDIT@~!~: Since DC is not open-source, I fail to see why people keep asking TJ how everything works rather than making educated guesses based on observation. :|

Couldn't agree more.

Guys, Google RNG abuse Pokemon then tell me how exactly knowing the way a game works is NOT cheating. There is a way to get shinies (so they're 1 in 1 chance if you use the method correctly instead of 1 in 8000) The Pokemon example is a bad one. I EV train my pokemon, know exactly how many EV are max, a beneficial nature and its exact stat boost. Heck, there are guides on calculating the precise catch rate of a Pokemon, the precise amount of damage every move will inflict. Which is why there are plenty of battle simulators. Cheat codes work on exactly the same principle.

How can we say that TJ divulging the workings of DC won't cause cheating? It may be unintentional at first, but really if I figure out how to get an ND all the time or figure out a way to keep holiday multiclutches for longer, how will it NOT be abused? Look, we might not know how it will turn out and I know that I wouldn't use or know an exploit if it was an ND staring me in the face, but I'm sure there are plenty of smart cookies out there.

Well, I was never asking for cheats or cheat tools, not even inner workings. All I was asking for was population graphs and stats. (And, yes, I know about shiny-chaining and cheat codes/cheat modules for pokemon games. But for the actual cheat codes to work, you either need a cheat module or an emulator and an illegal copy of the game. Both won't be possible for DC.)

Besides, I sure know one way to get something I shouldn't be able to. Still, I'm neither abusing nor spreading that kind of knowledge.

I think the Vamps should bite more successfully. Lately they really lack on success D:

And the EQ Penalty is still bothering me. I can't use EQ anymore because I don't want to be scroll-locked because of Kills.

Speaking of Kills, I wonder why EQ takes Kill Slots anyways D: I find this weird.

I'd also love to see more CB Metallics. I only saw 2 so far, and then, never again...

Well, we already get more CB metallics than before the change, so that, at least, is a good thing.

Still, I feel that something about vampire bites should be changed. Not necessarily the chance for success, but I find it rather hard on players that they have to accept numerous dead eggshells (which will count as eggs for 24 hours) before they actually get a vamp. Maybe make it so that failed vamp bites don't count towards the limits or something, or that the bite just makes the egg sick or does not affect it at all. Just something.

I'm learning how the Biomes work, and they seem to be pretty efficient - EXCEPT why do the same three uber-Commons have to sit there for so bleeping long? You can go marching from Biome to Biome and see the same codes go by time after time after time ad nauseum. An earlier poster suggested maybe rolling that trio over to the NEXT three eggs until the drop is over then still cycling those same tired Commons through til they're gone. Seems like a workable idea.

The other big(ger) complaint I have is the breeding (or lack thereof) of the Stripes and Blacks. I haven't been able to successfully breed a Stripe of ANY color since the intro of the Black Stripes. How does this make sense? Not a one?? I don't understand coding or any of the other super whiz-kid computerese stuff, so I'm no candidate for 'hacking' into the game for my own benefit. But are there words that alleged luddites can understand (other than "the ratios have to even out" -while I understand what that means, I'm not sure I 'get' what it means HERE) so we're not feeling quite so helpless?

Edit: typo

Edited by oddsoxdi

Maybe the eggs should be changed all 5 or 10 minutes, like when's a minute drop when the cave is empty?

I have issues with the breeding as much as anyone else. I can ignore that the blacks and the stripes and the "classic" metals arent breeding. If you think about it, or have been around as long as i have, You might remember that there is a breeding drought on those EVERY YEAR. By my recollection of my own play:

year 1 (the year after yulebucks): we got hit with the lagmonster and the datamonster. It was also found metals were dropping/breeding too often so multi clutches went away.

year 2 I believe we had the server move, and that breeding had been shut off for a time while things were fixed.

this past year: I actually forget what set it off this year. I want to blame new limits and the cave dropping more, but who knows.

I've been around long enough that I anticipate something happening between march and july that will ruin the fun of the game. In my own play there are definite "patterns" where things overbreed then dont. It used to be that within a couple months things started getting back to normal, and this seems to be the case here. We can track things down to the april release/limit change. Its been three months and while things are still a little rough, things are starting to work the way we are used to. The regular nebs are making an appearance again, some people are starting to have luck with metals breeding (and some are actually breeding metals). I have started to see people offering vamps for trade again, I have a feeling in about a month whatever is "wrong" will be resolved.

In the meantime, I'm going to retire all of my metals, and start breeding and collecting the "commons" for lyric armies. It wouldnt hurt me to collect more of the things I'm not too fond of for awhile. That will pull a couple hundred black/metal black/other and my stripes out of the rotation. I doubt one person can change things for everyone when it comes to breeding/not breeding but im happy to give it a chance (outside of my 4 cb metals.)

Edited by Thuban

I'm learning how the Biomes work, and they seem to be pretty efficient - EXCEPT why do the same three uber-Commons have to sit there for so bleeping long? You can go marching from Biome to Biome and see the same codes go by time after time after time ad nauseum. An earlier poster suggested maybe rolling that trio over to the NEXT three eggs until the srop is over then still cycling those same tired Commons through til they're gone. Seems like a workable idea.

With this idea, I can pretty much tell you right now what will happen.

Many people will have tabs open to all the biomes and they will refresh them over and over until the rare/desirable eggs turn over in the mix and they are picked up. Soon, the biomes will refill and they will continue to turn the eggs over until they find something they want. Not long after that, the biomes would fill again with eggs that are generally not as often wanted. In the end, we would have seven 'APs' full of eggs people don't generally want to pick up instead of one and a few concentrated, dedicated people who collected most of the rares.

There are ways to mitigate that, but those ways are not, apparently, how DC works. They are ways I do not particularly want to see DC work. They work for other games, but those are other games, not DC.

~!~, yes, open-source games exist, but when a game is not open-sourced it's rather silly to continually demand it be open-source. But I tend to forget that we focus on the silly here.

I must ask, how gentle does my language have to be to avoid people saying I am "demanding" anything? I said it would be useful. I said it would be helpful. I said it would take work off his shoulders.

The people who are demanding things are demanding Silvi's-Lair-esque stats. They are demanding to know the populations of each breed. They are not demanding that the game be open-source. I am not demanding that, either. In fact, nobody is demanding that. I was just trying to make the case that it would cause more good than harm.

I know TJ doesn't want to divulge the breed population stats because he fears people could reverse-engineer the game that way, but I just don't see how that's possible. I suppose the only real way to do it would be to wait until there is a lull in population of a certain dragon to breed for that dragon, but I think such behavior would balance itself out quickly, unless populations vary wildly, which I can't imagine they would, given that the cave makes new eggs every hour, and attempts to balance them out again.

If we knew which breeds needed a population boost, don't you think that might help matters a bit more? The last time tj gave us info on the ratios after the balancing fiasco, people took it into account and raised the breeds that needed a population boost. Giving people info on what breeds need a pop boost can only help fix the ratios because then we know where we need to fix.

The eggs we see most frequently in the cave could be an indicator of what populations need the boost.

Absolutely. From what I remember of the stats that used to be on Silvie's, the usual cave-blockers were actually rarer than other common breeds. I remember that neotropicals, canopies, pebbles, whiptails and water walkers, at least, were very much on the bottom of the commons list. I don't remember where balloons were, and mints were rated slightly higher (although there was an odd increase one day, probably TJ fooling the system...)

So, yes, seeing this helped me immensely. (I sure didn't complain about too many neos/canopies/water walkers/pebbles/whiptails, did I? Although I was close before I looked at the stats.) Because it made me understand why things are the way they are, why these breeds are clogging the cave.

I don't understand why it is so hard to get the names of the dragons that we need to boost up from TJ?

No one is asking for the back door entry to the little lair that TJ sits in.

All people want is some numbers and names and dragon statistics but everyone is making sound like "OMG you want to be TJ, you want to be a cheater, bad bad!"

Get over it!!!

BAH!

I just don't understand why not? or the lack of wanting to?

Edited by Dustydragon

TJ gave us info before and we have proved ourselves to be trustworthy with the info, We used that info to try to fix the cave populations by breeding and raising the populations that needed their populations boosted. Why are we being accused of being cheaters and attempting to abuse info like that when we clearly have not done so?

I wish people would check their facts thoughly before jumping to assumptions

He didn't do anything to the Wrecking Ball thread. That was me, quoting something he said in another thread at the time.

huh.gif

Well, if you wanna know what dragons need to be raised to fix the ratios just take a look at the AP and the Biomes. The species that's most abundant is the one that needs to be boasted. The problem is that no one is raising those eggs and it's messing up the ratios. I don't see why you need to know the exact population of every dragon to know which dragon species is causing problems.

Take a look at the Biomes. The reason some species are being produced so much and that they are clogging it is because no one wants them and there aren't enough in the system to balance the ratios.

So, basically:

Step 1- Raise over abundant eggs in AP and cave

Step 2- ???

Step 3- Profit!

Edited by kitsune93

I'm learning how the Biomes work, and they seem to be pretty efficient - EXCEPT why do the same three uber-Commons have to sit there for so bleeping long? You can go marching from Biome to Biome and see the same codes go by time after time after time ad nauseum. An earlier poster suggested maybe rolling that trio over to the NEXT three eggs until the srop is over then still cycling those same tired Commons through til they're gone. Seems like a workable idea.

The other big(ger) complaint I have is the breeding (or lack thereof) of the Stripes and Blacks. I haven't been able to successfully breed a Stripe of ANY color since the intro of the Black Stripes. How does this make sense? Not a one?? I don't understand coding or any of the other super whiz-kid computerese stuff, so I'm no candidate for 'hacking' into the game for my own benefit. But are there words that alleged luddites can understand (other than "the ratios have to even out" -while I understand what that means, I'm not sure I 'get' what it means HERE) so we're not feeling quite so helpless?

Adding to what Princess Artemis and kitsune93 said, "Uber-commons" are meant to populate more, so the current way is so far the only way to accomplish that. If it really ticks you off, do what I do: get yourself 2-3 open slots, go to your chosen biome, sit there for a minute or two staring at those same 3 "uber-common" eggs. then, out of the blue, grab one using ctrl+click while refreshing simultaneously or a moment after (Make sure your browser doesn't automatically go to the new tab). You now have just made it move and are the first to know that one was taken. So whatever is behind it is slightly easier to catch, because you know one just got taken. Of course, it could be another common, but at least you made the cave move. It is then up to you whether to keep that random common you grabbed or not. (I usually do, to be kinder on the AP stress) cool.gif

Slightly more on topic, I agree wholeheartedly with the others here on the new limits: L-O-V-E. Could not have been better, in my opinion.

Adding to what Princess Artemis and kitsune93 said, "Uber-commons" are meant to populate more, so the current way is so far the only way to accomplish that. If it really ticks you off, do what I do: get yourself 2-3 open slots, go to your chosen biome, sit there for a minute or two staring at those same 3 "uber-common" eggs. then, out of the blue, grab one using ctrl+click while refreshing simultaneously or a moment after (Make sure your browser doesn't automatically go to the new tab). You now have just made it move and are the first to know that one was taken. So whatever is behind it is slightly easier to catch, because you know one just got taken. Of course, it could be another common, but at least you made the cave move. It is then up to you whether to keep that random common you grabbed or not. (I usually do, to be kinder on the AP stress) cool.gif

Slightly more on topic, I agree wholeheartedly with the others here on the new limits: L-O-V-E. Could not have been better, in my opinion.

But only a small group are doing it.

With the way things are on dc, I'm nearly the end of my tether and seriously considering quitting dc. I'm sick of trying to breed even uber commons and getting no eggs. I've taken to starting my lineages using cave blockers but even then i'm blocked

Edited by bluebell_rose