Arkadion

Egg Circulation

You can repeat how much you love these dragons as many times as you want, but until they are snatched from the cave with the same regularity as Whites, Nebulas, etc., you're not going to make anybody stop complaining.

Oh I know. But I just thought I would mention it anyway xd.png

But I do think (from discussion among fans of this place elsewhere) that quite a few people are beginning to think about weird lineages of dirt-commons, now that the limits are up !

It's quite simple. Make a piont of putting an abandon limit on bred eggs like there is on cave eggs: You can only abandon a bred egg after 5 hours. Plus, you cannot successfully breed if you don't have an open egg slot. Problem solved.

(It would cause lots of drama, though. sad.gif )

Edited by olympe

It's quite simple. Make a piont of putting an abandon limit on bred eggs like there is on cave eggs: You can only abandon a bred egg after 5 hours. Plus, you cannot successfully breed if you don't have an open egg slot. Problem solved.

Wouldn't that only solve it for the first 5 hours, kind of, if you see what I mean ?

Wouldn't that only solve it for the first 5 hours, kind of, if you see what I mean ?

Well, it would slow people down from mass breeding all the dragons on their scroll at once. I can hear breeders screaming "unfair" now, and it would be a real inconvenience to those of us who breed wanted eggs to gift to others and for lineages. But I am not totally against the idea.

I have seen this suggested before, I've suggested it myself in fact, but everytime someone does, people will freak out, because they're supposedly breeding like ten eggs a day to gift them and don't want to lock themselves with that and also want to gift limitless...

Now, there are people who actually really do that, but I really can't imagine it's more than a handful, not many people even have that much desireable dragons they could breed.

Before the anniversary release and the updates, the AP had been working well, better than I've ever seen it work in fact. BUT breeding success was, well, bad for the lack of another polite word.

I would much prefer a higher breeding success rate and have breeding itself restricted, the other way around to what it is now really.

Edit:

No, because people wouldn't be breeding as carelessly.

Edited by blah

Well, it would slow people down from mass breeding all the dragons on their scroll at once. I can hear breeders screaming "unfair" now, and it would be a real inconvenience to those of us who breed wanted eggs to gift to others and for lineages. But I am not totally against the idea.

A fix for that might be to allow teleport without a wait, then the "bred for someone else egg" could depart your scroll as it will not be added to the AP.

Of course the wrong outcome would be stuck * sighs*

nothing is perfect dry.gif

A 5 hour wait might be excessive 2 hours might be long enough to provoke thought but not long enough to provoke rage ?

Changing eggs into something different, just like that? *thinks hard* Wasn't there a couple of dragon concepts around that had the idea that these dragons reproduced by "taking over" the eggs of other dragons? (Serpent Queen and False Dragon, maybe?) Or was that just another option discussed during the dozens of pages in the original thread?

I also see that the false dragon has been removed from the completed list for some reason. (Some sprites are still visible in the false dragon thread, though - especially on the last few pages.)

Cuckoo dragon? I remember that being proposed, and it was supposed to "hide" behind the description of a random egg. Possible cave solution, since it could disguise itself as something else, giving Cuckoo collectors a reason to pick up random commons looking for Cuckoos. Yet another problem for the AP, though, when the real commons are dropped, and a nasty surprise if that CB rare was actually just a Cuckoo. (Unrelated: I can't think "Cuckoo" without thinking about the Cuckoo Revenge Squad...)

And I agree that the new limits could potentially help loads. Now I can pick up those random CBs and Dartohs (inbreds) just 'cuz and not worry about being uber-locked by hatchies later or unable to catch that elusive rare. And Fuzzbucket, welcome to the Common-Lovers Club! *picks up another mint* cool.gif

Exactly. Besides, if you breed for gifting, you'll need an open egg slot anyway, plus I didn't say anything about a 5-hour-wait for teleporting the bred egg, which should solve the "but I want to be able to gift" problem quite neatly. biggrin.gif

Even people who breed so others can "catch" something special can FFA their bred eggs in the departure thread with the teleport link. The first person to click the link will get the egg, and it will usually happen within a short period of time (if the egg is, indeed, as desirable as the breeder thinks it is).

I don't think so. People won't be online 24/7, so there will be at least one major sleeping period. Plus, people will (hopefully) think twice before breeding because they'll have to keep the resulting egg for at least 5 hours.

I have seen this suggested before, I've suggested it myself in fact, but everytime someone does, people will freak out, because they're supposedly breeding like ten eggs a day to gift them and don't want to lock themselves with that and also want to gift limitless...

Now, there are people who actually really do that, but I really can't imagine it's more than a handful, not many people even have that much desireable dragons they could breed.

Olympe's suggestion would disallow breeding in scroll lock to enforce the waiting period (auto-abandon would render the suggestion kinda useless) and that would cause a major uproar, not a waiting period on abandoning bred eggs.

This could indeed be a solution to the AP problem, though I think it wouldn't help with the egg circulation in the biomes, because less of these undesirable eggs being bred would mean more of them being generated in the biomes. With limited breeding people would most likely breed their rares, not their undesirable commons.

Olympe's suggestion would disallow breeding in scroll lock to enforce the waiting period (auto-abandon would render the suggestion kinda useless) and that would cause a major uproar, not a waiting period on abandoning bred eggs.

Why is that? People who breed only for the AP can just as well FFA their bred eggs in the departure announcement thread or the chat *if* they are willing to use a magi to teleport the eggs to someone willing to take them.

Besides, people who do the breeding and abandoning routine are the ones we have to thank for our AP-blockage, so, personally, I wouldn't mind them protesting for a change.

I'm actually not having issues with the biomes. They were working splendidly for how I play, and I was seeing a much more diverse range of breeds than I ever did before the change. Egg grabbing never seemed energetic to me before, except during new releases. If egg grabbing isn't as energetic now (which I would dispute), then I still feel better off, because before I was stuck looking at the same three eggs for an hour, while now I'm looking at the same nine eggs an hour, plus some. The only thing mucking it up for me now is the AP, but that is nothing new (though it was working pretty well right before the change).

I have multiple lineages I'm working on and I can go through several breedings in a sitting trying to get what I want. It's not that many breedings, honestly, but just enough that a wait would be a major inconvenience, and I'm petty enough that I'd resent being given a penalty for other people's breeding habits. I'd rather be given the option to send my eggs straight to the wilderness if I didn't want them, or be given some other option to delete them from the system right away without taking up an egg slot or code. If that was added in addition to a five hour wait, I'd be for it, because then I could always use the delete option in order to move on with my breeding, and if I bred an egg I felt had to exist for whatever reason, I'd be willing to wait the five hours to abandon.

The message I had in mind for a delete option would be, "You candle the egg and realize it is infertile, so you decide to throw it away." That way people wouldn't have to feel like they were killing a potential dragon or anything like that.

Edited by Goslander

I agree with the op. The new system just made things 6 times as worse. Now you got 6 times more areas of unwanted eggs, usually only picked up to unclog the cave and to be dumped back when the 5 hours is up.

With the old system, you're forced to take an egg if you wanted some of the other eggs. With only 3 slots to choose from, the drops moved along fairly quickly. Now with 18 egg slots showing up simuiltanousy, egg hunting has slowed down considerably. I want to find a damned mint and I can't even get one. Biomes IMO just compounded the problem. The same commons clogging the old cave are now clogging the new cave, but doing a much better job of clogging it up. Since they can now clog multiple caves together.

Well - I have caught several I have wanted for a long while since the biomes... Even CB ice and thunder.... They can't be all bad.

The massive blockage in the AP isn't helping. We need to deal with that before all else.

I think the two problems are related--I was going through the AP the other day, looking to see if there were some nice-lineaged eggs in there that I could grab, and most of what I was finding were CB blockers.

This makes me think that a lot of the eggs in the AP are CB blockers people grabbed to move things along, then just tossed later. I know I've done some of that, when I realized I didn't need said CB for my scroll goal.

If we can do something to fix the clogging problem, then the backlog in the AP will decrease as well, I bet.

Why is that? People who breed only for the AP can just as well FFA their bred eggs in the departure announcement thread or the chat *if* they are willing to use a magi to teleport the eggs to someone willing to take them.

Besides, people who do the breeding and abandoning routine are the ones we have to thank for our AP-blockage, so, personally, I wouldn't mind them protesting for a change.

If you have to wait 5 hours to abandon eggs you bred, and you are locked - the auto-abandoning of a freshly bred egg would circumvent the 5-hour-waiting-period, rendering it useless. Thus, to enforce your suggested waiting period for bred eggs, breeding when locked should not be possible.

And that's what will make breeders/gifters angry. That would make me angry, definitely!

I would completely support a 5-hour-abandon-wait on bred eggs. However, you can't have *both* the 5-hour wait *and* the no-breeding-when-locked, without lots of problems.

edit because I confused myself trying to explain things.

Edited by Marie19R

The massive blockage in the AP isn't helping. We need to deal with that before all else.

I think the solution to the AP blockage is to grab the eggs, even if it is temporary. Almost all of us have more slots now than we did a week ago.

I went from 9 slots to 21. I do my best to fill them all. (20 out of the 21 I have now came from the AP.)

When the cave is blocked, grab AP eggs before you go to work, school, whatever. It helps to unblock the biomes. Toss them back later. They will have less time on them, and will be more desirable to others.

When the cave isn't blocked, grab a biome blocker.

I think the solution to the AP blockage is to grab the eggs, even if it is temporary. Almost all of us have more slots now than we did a week ago.

I really think this is the best/most logical/easiest "solution" to the AP-blockage. No, it's not going to make much of a difference if one or two people grab unwanted AP eggs. But if every single person who has ever complained about AP-block would grab a few unwanted AP eggs, that clog would be gone in no time.

And really, instead of changing the way the cave works and/or is coded, why *not* let the users be the solution?

I have 31 AP "blocker" hatchies frozen on my scroll, and two more eggs waiting to hatch, and I still think that there's a problem with the AP. So, I guess, mark me down as someone who is complaining -and- doing something about it. tongue.gif

If you have to wait 5 hours to abandon eggs you bred, and you are locked - the auto-abandoning of a freshly bred egg would circumvent the 5-hour-waiting-period, rendering it useless. Thus, to enforce your suggested waiting period for bred eggs, breeding when locked should not be possible.

Yes, that's why I suggested it this way in the first place.

And that's what will make breeders/gifters angry. That would make me angry, definitely!

I would completely support a 5-hour-abandon-wait on bred eggs. However, you can't have *both* the 5-hour wait *and* the no-breeding-when-locked, without lots of problems.

Why does it make you angry? The way I proposed this, there is no limit on teleporting bred eggs. All you cannot do is abandon them, and that's fine since AP trading has been disabled anyway.

I try to breed rares /uncommons for the AP, and not with teleport link FFAs, but abandoning unannounced. The waiting period you suggested would make me stop this as other, I suppose. Then the AP would mostly become what made people speak up against teleport.

Well, right now, that is a problem anyway. Because of the massive AP-blockage, it will take days until your rares are open to be grabbed. (Although I do see your point, because as long as your rares are in the AP, you won't be locked with them.)

Still, I'd rather have an almost empty AP with no rares inside than an overflowing AP with 0.1% rares in it, but no chance to get any CB eggs...

Well, right now, that is a problem anyway. Because of the massive AP-blockage, it will take days until your rares are open to be grabbed.

Actually, over half the eggs showing on the AP right now are 7 day eggs, so the backlog is clearing nicely. Cave blocking does work. smile.gif