Sign in to follow this  
Arkadion

Egg Circulation

I'd support something like this. Perhaps the likelihood of an egg of a certain breed being bred went down as the population of bred eggs of that breed went up, everything could stay balanced.

Of course, I just know that somebody will say "But I don't want somebody else mass-breeding their Blacks to interfere with my ability to breed a Black. This will just make it harder for me to play the game my way." I just know somebody who read this post thought that. (Except that no, they'll say "No, no, no, absolutely no. I will never support this. My opinion matters more than yours.")

Well you know what? My ability to catch a CB black shouldn't be hindered by someone else breeding all their Blacks either.

While I do think something to kick up the pace of the cave would be useful, and de-coupling breeding versus cb of a breed is good to an extent, TJ has said in the past that breeding and cave drops are partially decoupled. At least for some species, the topic he said this in was on cb metallics specifically. While the number of successful breedings and the number of cave drops are both linked to the ratios overall, the fact that there are more than enough dragons bred to produce the number of needed eggs doesn't mean there are no cb ones. He already has some insurance built in that makes it so that some cb eggs are generated irregardless. Also, maybe black is just a bad example, but there are no blacks really being generated regardless tongue.gif I've caught more CB blacks in the last month than I've bred (that being one, total), and if you look at my scroll, you'll see I have quite a lot of blacks to breed~

I do like the idea that, if Egg Breed A has been hanging out forever without being picked up, then the cave will start dropping Egg Breeds B and C to prevent blocking- it may well be possible to set the cave up in such a way that two of the same breed will not be on screen at the same time, thus making the chances of something getting grabbed go up a bit. You could still have three blockers on screen, but at least they would be three different blockers that could appeal to different people. I don't know how practical that is from a programming/coding standpoint, though.

**THIS**

Or maybe two out of three - just so all three slots were not the same. It would provide a little relief.

Maybe TJ could give a BSA to one of the despised commons - like whiptail maybe - that would give a higher percentage for an egg to hatch as an alt ... just sayin...

Instead of a "shiny" version of a sprite (already nixed), what if one of the three "blockers" were replaced by a cuckoo dragon's egg?  After all, it would make sense for the cuckoo dragon to hide its eggs in a big pile of similar eggs, and this mechanism would ensure that rares were never targeted.  Any of the three eggs could be the cuckoo, so it would encourage people to pick them up and find out.  And with the new improved egg slots, holding an egg for 5 hours is no longer as painful as it used to be.

Possible problems:  Cuckoos might need to be disabled during new releases.  Maybe not though, if the new eggs go fast enough.  It could be fixed if cuckoos show up a certain time after the three eggs have been sitting in the caves.  Maybe with a small random component so that it's never less than, say, 1 second, but not a fixed predictable time either (it should probably have a reasonable upper limit, too).

Thoughts?

Hey - that has some real merit. I would play that game.

And, while I'm at it - maybe TJ would consider letting the 'Old' Pinks and Frills be bred for one or two days a year - like a seasonal - like maybe Memorial Day smile.gif ?

And, while I'm at it - maybe TJ would consider letting the 'Old' Pinks and Frills be bred for one or two days a year - like a seasonal - like maybe Memorial Day smile.gif ?

Old Pinks and Frills were not discontinued at TJ's discretion, so it wouldn't be his call to let them breed like Holiday dragons.

I think the cuckoo dragon idea is an interesting one.

Also to add to ~!~'s post, after discontinuing, it's been asked a million times that this occur. But the spriters of those dragons did not want this to happen. Not to say they couldn't ever change their minds in the future, but I recall them being rather adamantly against it. And without the spriters onboard, it's a no-go.

How about a "cave scroll" (with no limit so it won't get locked) which grabs the egg on the left side from each biome once every 60 seconds, keep them for 72 hours and then abandon them to the AP. Those ER eggs will be grabbed quickly; each biome would have a new egg guaranteed at least every sixty seconds and the AP would be a nicer place to hunt. Only problem I see is that people won't grab regular AP eggs as often...

This is the simplest and best solution I have yet to hear.

It harms nothing, as far as I can tell, and slower people unable to snag ER eggs off the AP will continue to get what they can off the AP, while the AP clearance threads will hopefully continue to encourage people to collect AP cloggers for rares.

With this in place, perhaps people collecting AP blockers for rares could be required by the clearance threads to 'register' finds at over 4 days, to ensure they serve the intended purpose?

People who take blockers off of the Caves to get things moving quite often drop them after 5 hours onto the AP, where they arrive as 7-day eggs few people want or need or have room on their scrolls for.

If these arrived as ER eggs instead, it would be a totally different story, especially now with the extra hatchie slots.

Why should not the eggs on the edge of the Cave piles roll off, after a certain length of time, pushed away by incoming eggs on the right-hand side, into a sunny place where they could safely wait out of sight until rolling out into the AP as ERs, frantically rocking in their currently fruitless efforts to hatch?

I'm speaking as someone who rarely bothers with most of the biomes, of course.

For the minutes the Drop there may occur in, I may try to hunt in the Desert, which generally moves fairly well, (apart from 'Stone-falls',) even if I almost never see any Blacks (1 or 2 seen) or metallics (1 Silver once sighted) and sometimes one or more of the other biomes for a while, but they're nearly always plugged up...

It's too boring and discouraging to stay in the blocked biomes for long and I can rarely ever manage to successfully breed anything, so I typically wind up on the AP (until I get bored with waiting for pages/different eggs to load,) where at least I needn't worry about interrupting trades anymore.

This predominance of AP rather than Cave hunting signifies quite a reversal for me, and it's also often quite boring with a variably slow puter that doesn't always like to load all types of eggs on the AP at once, but I guess I've been spending too much time here at DC anyway, lol.

Apart from this new Release, and some surprising luck at AP hatchie-catching that lasted for a bit, a steadily higher proportion of my more pleasurable DC activity consists of PM conversations with people here.

That's just my experience, but I don't seem to be alone in this...

Please excuse me for not reading the whole thread. I'm supposed to be cleaning my room right now. While I agree that it's frustrating to have eggs just sitting there due to the low number of users at each biome, I always wrote that off as a problem that would be fixed as more and more dragons are added to the Cave.

That said, I've always liked the idea of eggs being re-circulated if they're not grabbed within a given timeframe. But I think TJ's rejected it before? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I like Rally Vincent's idea about the third position egg being removed, held until ER, and dropped to the AP. ER eggs are always snatched up very quickly, so it wouldn't be too much of a strain/annoyance for Cave Blocking.

Also to add to ~!~'s post, after discontinuing, it's been asked a million times that this occur. But the spriters of those dragons did not want this to happen. Not to say they couldn't ever change their minds in the future, but I recall them being rather adamantly against it. And without the spriters onboard, it's a no-go.

Forgive me for saying this - and I don't mean to hurt any feelings, here - but the idea of people supplying artwork to a site, then demanding control over the usage of said artwork is really weird to me.

In the Real World, if you supply icons or art to an enterprise, company or legal entity, it is customary to turn over all rights and usages of that particular image to the said entity. While you can and may (rarely) retain 'ultimate' rights to the content the entity holds usage rights. (Been there, done that.) More often, you relinquish ALL rights to artwork.

As far as I can see, TJ has more than bent over backwards being conciliatory to the artists. Considering he is giving them a showcase for their work, as well as credit in the form of copyright accreditation, I would think they could be a little more accommodating to those who make Dragon Cave a going venture.

But that's just my opinion, stated in as mature and succinct a manner as I can - I don't want to get jumped on for it, thank you.

Forgive me for saying this - and I don't mean to hurt any feelings, here - but the idea of people supplying artwork to a site, then demanding control over the usage of said artwork is really weird to me.

In the Real World, if you supply icons or art to an enterprise, company or legal entity, it is customary to turn over all rights and usages of that particular image to the said entity. While you can and may (rarely) retain 'ultimate' rights to the content the entity holds usage rights. (Been there, done that.) More often, you relinquish ALL rights to artwork.

As far as I can see, TJ has more than bent over backwards being conciliatory to the artists. Considering he is giving them a showcase for their work, as well as credit in the form of copyright accreditation, I would think they could be a little more accommodating to those who make Dragon Cave a going venture.

But that's just my opinion, stated in as mature and succinct a manner as I can - I don't want to get jumped on for it, thank you.

It is odd. A lot of people cite the fact that the artists here are volunteers, but even with that limiter Dragon Cave is unique. It started out that way, probably because there was a dire need for art and TJ could only get it by guaranteeing that the artist would have control over the work, and has been that way ever since.

The prevailing opinion on these forums is that it is the artists, not regular non-contributing members like you and me, who "make Dragon Cave a going venture," because honestly, without the art, would you play? I wouldn't. We aren't doing the artists a service by looking at their art; they are doing us one by making it.

I believe that behind the scenes, there are top men working on this issue. Top. Men. (That was an Indiana Jones reference, mods, not sarcasm.) I'm not sure what the details are, because I'm not one of those top men, but I have been assured that there is a discussion going on.

Edited by ~!~

The prevailing opinion on these forums is that it is the artists, not regular non-contributing members like you and me, who "make Dragon Cave a going venture," because honestly, without the art, would you play? I wouldn't. We aren't doing the artists a service by looking at their art; they are doing us one by making it.

Hmmm. Without us, there is no game, just another dead petsite. Besides - what, precisely, makes us 'non-contributing' when WE are the one who keep DC in the ratings and many of us donate.

The thing is, the majority of the drama I have seen over dragons sprites AND changes on this sight is quite honestly petty and immature. People don't like a particular dragon - fine, don't collect that sprite. But no, they have to get mouthy and abusive, then the spriters get hurt and the censorkip.gif flies - voila! Drama. Same nearly every time.

First advice my art teacher ever gave - "If you put your art out in the public eye, some people will love it, some people will hate it, and both sides will run their mouths over it. Don't let the praise go to your head and don't let the censure get under your skin, or you'll end up in the looney bin with Van Gough."

I support the spriters, I really do. I just think they need to learn to ignore anyone but TJ when it comes to their work. It would save them a lot of grief and eliminate a lot of pointless and / or harmful drama.

On the other hand, anyone who isn't willing to put 'pen to paper' - at least figuratively - and sprite themselves, needs to stuff a sock in it.

OK - end of rant, and back to the subject - Seems cave block is the order of the day today. Even so, when I did get to the cave this morning, things seemed to be moving along a bit better. So, maybe this will all even out with time.

I do wonder, however, if perhaps the AP shouldn't be allowed to get a bit bigger before it blocks the cave? I mean, if there are more eggs dropping in the cave, shouldn't the AP expand a bit, also? I don't really know the answer here, so anyone who does - please enlighten me. Blessings!!

With this in place, perhaps people collecting AP blockers for rares could be required by the clearance threads to 'register' finds at over 4 days, to ensure they serve the intended purpose?

I don't know how it would affect cave blocker projects, but how many players would those need to equal sixty eggs from each biome per hour? If my suggestion is combined with ~!~'s suggestion to include the "regular" AP eggs to be taken by the "cave scroll", hopefully there wouldn't be a need to have projects like this. I'd be nice if every player would be free to take what they want.

instead ofbeing deleted or moved to a storage place, they could just be moved to the "end of the line" of eggs in the biome.

Yes and no one will take the rotten apples and give up on whoever provides them and in this case its DC that people will give up on.. And I don't see how cave blockers will be the only thing circulating there are billions of codes possible for eggs if that happens remove delete the codes of unwanted eggs and randomly generate a new egg.

I think its a good idea for the cave..

if the eggs no one wants are deleted, the cave will generate more of those breeds, and less of the breeds people DO want. If the cave wants people to pick up 30 more of breed x, and people won't pick them up, and those 30 of breed x are deleted, the cave will respond by generating 30 more.

If they are moved to the end of the line, that just means that eventually, that's ALL that will be there.

Any kind of circulation means that eventually all the desirable eggs will be gone, and deleting undesirable eggs will just make the problem worse.

Edited by Layn

Edit: lol, silly me, forgot quoting would leave the important part behind!

QUOTE (Rally Vincent @ Jun 26 2011, 04:58 PM)

How about a "cave scroll" (with no limit so it won't get locked) which grabs the egg on the left side from each biome once every 60 seconds, keep them for 72 hours and then abandon them to the AP. Those ER eggs will be grabbed quickly; each biome would have a new egg guaranteed at least every sixty seconds and the AP would be a nicer place to hunt. Only problem I see is that people won't grab regular AP eggs as often...

This is the simplest and best solution I have yet to hear.

It harms nothing, as far as I can tell, and slower people unable to snag ER eggs off the AP will continue to get what they can off the AP, while the AP clearance threads will hopefully continue to encourage people to collect AP cloggers for rares.

People who take blockers off of the Caves to get things moving quite often drop them after 5 hours onto the AP, where they arrive as 7-day eggs few people want or need or have room on their scrolls for.

If these arrived as ER eggs instead, it would be a totally different story, especially now with the extra hatchie slots.

Why should not the eggs on the edge of the Cave piles roll off, after a certain length of time, pushed away by incoming eggs on the right-hand side, into a sunny place where they could safely wait out of sight until rolling out into the AP as ERs, frantically rocking in their currently fruitless efforts to hatch? ...

Just bringing this forward...

Edited by Syphoneira

really like it but ive someone doesn't pick it in 5 min

why would they pick it ive its circulating?? huh.gif

really like it but ive someone doesn't pick it in 5 min

why would they pick it ive its circulating?? huh.gif

If you're referring to Rally Vincent's 'Cave Scroll' suggestion, people WOULD willingly grab the Cave blockers that had been held on the 'Cave Scroll' until the 4 day mark, when they became ER, so that people would want them when they hit the AP as as insta-hatchies - just ER until hatched...

I'd agree that something needs to change. I like the cave scroll idea, personally. As it stands, nearly every biome is dead. Desert is an exception because there was recently a new release, but no other biome can be 'stalked' actively like the main cave used to - the eggs hardly ever change. I still need many dinos, but they only appear to show up in the Jungle, and I can't stare at the same three Canopy eggs for fifteen minutes without losing interest. The main cave was never blocked this long, even if it was harder to get the eggs you went for - at least it was exciting. This is... tedious.

The AP is a different problem. It lost most of its sniping potential with the addition of Teleport. There's no point in opening that can of worms, but I will say that while it's not as fun as it used to be, it's still much more fun than stalking the main cave.

Edited by Dianacat777

Funny, about the only place that I hunt anymore is the AP. I can still find ER eggs and hatchlings daily. Some days maybe be better than others and some days I can't find anything but a long lineaged pebble. Oddly enough, since the biomes were implemented, I have only ran into a handful of ER eggs or hatchlings that were long lineaged. Most of them are actually CB.

So far I like the idea of keeping CB and bred eggs at a separate ratio, but that has nothing to do with this thread...so, out of all the ideas put forth, I can't say I like any of them. I can't come up with any solutions and I can't say I've been much bothered by the biomes being clogged the whole time since I just found somewhere else to go. I don't like the egg rotation idea, and the "cave scroll" idea is okay to me. It seems like it would be cutting corners but since I can't be helpful and come up with my own idea, I guess I support this one. Lower time eggs are grabbed up of the AP more quickly and are less likely to be tossed back.

If this does get implemented, I will be so much happier. Even if the AP doesn't have it... that pile doesn't really need it. The cave... or caves... are a different story.

Every biome is dead except for the desert (which, most often times is dead on the drops for a good 15/20 minutes while being blocked with the sun/moon stone eggs). I check back on the caves from time to time (usually every 20minutes) to find the same 3 eggs still there in each biome when I had left before. That, to me, is ridiculous. It used to be very fun trying to catch any egg from the main cave... now I can't catch anything it seems because the blockers I see are the ones I have enough of already.

I like the egg circulation idea, the 'cave scroll' one I don't really like. We're not supposed to have an extra scroll... that's the rules. Besides, who wants 40 eggs on it anyway?

I've found a lot of good stuff in most biomes lately. Just saying... They DO move.

I'd agree that something needs to change. I like the cave scroll idea, personally. As it stands, nearly every biome is dead. Desert is an exception because there was recently a new release, but no other biome can be 'stalked' actively like the main cave used to - the eggs hardly ever change. I still need many dinos, but they only appear to show up in the Jungle, and I can't stare at the same three Canopy eggs for fifteen minutes without losing interest. The main cave was never blocked this long, even if it was harder to get the eggs you went for - at least it was exciting. This is... tedious.

The AP is a different problem. It lost most of its sniping potential with the addition of Teleport. There's no point in opening that can of worms, but I will say that while it's not as fun as it used to be, it's still much more fun than stalking the main cave.

Yeah, baby! Exactly.

I like the egg circulation idea, the 'cave scroll' one I don't really like. We're not supposed to have an extra scroll... that's the rules. Besides, who wants 40 eggs on it anyway?

The Cave Scroll is not a second scroll for players, but a scroll "owned" by the cave. It's just another sort of limbo until eggs reach ER state, and from there they are going to be tossed to the AP.

So this basically accomplishes the same thing that multiscrolling does: It holds eggs for you until you're unlocked and then you can grab them when they're ERs.

So this basically accomplishes the same thing that multiscrolling does: It holds eggs for you until you're unlocked and then you can grab them when they're ERs.

Exactly what I meant by saying that "Cave Scroll" was not allowed by having two scrolls. Thanks TJ.

As I said before, I support the Egg Circulation as long as no 'extra' scroll is involved.

On second thought, yeah. :/ Or not so much that as making blockers appear as instant ERs.

Actually, this cave scroll would create another problem anyways. If it repeatedly took blockers and dumped them off in the AP as ERs a few days later, nobody would ever take blockers from the cave, because they're more or less available as auto-hatchlings. Which is encouraging the current problem.

I'd like to sound intelligent and witty and pull something brilliant out of my metaphorical hat, but a lot of DC's problems don't have any solutions that wouldn't cause more things to fall out of balance/break the site as we know it. You've got a tough job...

I've found a lot of good stuff in most biomes lately. Just saying... They DO move.

Exactly. Especially if you have several egg slots open and grab one of the blockers. Besides, you're most likely the first person to be able to grab the new egg, whichever one it actually is. Who knows, it might even be a rare. (As a matter of fact, I managed to grab 2 glory eggs in succession this way - and they were very hard to get before biomes, at least for me.)