Jump to content
MisaTange

Name Check Thread

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, 13310 said:

Is it ok to use ingame lore stuff? Something like "_____ of Valkemare". It seems harmless, but some other online games have been very particular about using ingame names, locations, and whatnot. Just want to be sure before naming my planned GoC stair.

As far as I know, that sort of restriction on DC applies to descriptions only, not names.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, 13310 said:

Is it ok to use ingame lore stuff? Something like "_____ of Valkemare". It seems harmless, but some other online games have been very particular about using ingame names, locations, and whatnot. Just want to be sure before naming my planned AoC stair.

 

This is perfectly fine, and you're encouraged to use the lore in descriptions, too. In descriptions you just want to avoid overpowering a single dragon - so like, avoid saying 'x is THE strongest in all of Valkemare'.

Share this post


Link to post

Good to hear. I haven't really gotten into using descriptions yet, but perhaps later on. On other writings, I tend to make 'average' characters, or counter-balanced if they do have any powers. Thanks for the answers, obelisk and Kaini.

Share this post


Link to post

Hello!

 

1. Is the name "Light Poledancing" considered inappropriate?
 

I get the feeling it is precarious territory, but I figured I would ask for direct input, since it (poledancing) has apparently been okay'd before.

 

2. While I'm here... What about the name "Really Hot Bush"?

 

I've had this name for a while (on a Vine Dragon lol).

But I realized that without context, it might sound like uh... well, Google "bush slang".

That said, I have some confidence that slang language isn't applicable to dragon names. Doing so would implicate a lot of innocent names, since people invent vulgar slang definitions for nearly everything.

 

Thanks for your time 💙

Share this post


Link to post

Is it okay to leave the names of the parents of this Harvest dragon alone? The parents names can be a little gross, if you read it right: https://dragcave.net/lineage/43hu2

 

I'll change them if the codes are seen as inappropriate. Even though I didn't choose them. XD

 

Share this post


Link to post

Are "Unfair Stabbing" and "Are you mesothelioma" acceptable names for dragons? I'm making a lineage using lines from a script as names, and those are 2 I was worried about.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/3/2018 at 12:34 PM, Lurhstaap said:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/iOAar

 

G2 out of coded parents "n0EbS" and "WarNd". Is it OK to name it "No BS - You Were Warned"? I wanted just You Were Warned but it's taken and I don't want to resort to weird punctuation etc.

 

On 11/6/2018 at 1:35 PM, jumpsnake said:

Is this ok? I wanted to honor the code: link

 

3 hours ago, Mnkn10 said:

Are "Unfair Stabbing" and "Are you mesothelioma" acceptable names for dragons? I'm making a lineage using lines from a script as names, and those are 2 I was worried about.

 

I think all of the above names are acceptable.

Share this post


Link to post

I used to have a dragon called "dirty magazine", since it was part of a song lyric. I've since renamed it, until I'm more certain that it's good. So ... Is it? XD

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

I'm posting about this name, presented without context:

 

" hang me - bang me "

 

Now, presented with context:

 

It's a lyric from Beautiful World by lasah, which is in no way a "dirty" song (the lyrics allude to violence, i.e., "shoot me," "slash me.") However, of course, it should be judged as others would see it on-scroll: with no context. Which is why it concerns me 😅 I know DC is English-centric and may see slang before real definitions.

 

bangg.PNG.6f9c3d068544e9f03cdd4cc132335d82.PNG

 

^^ I assume, since the slang definition does not appear in search, it should be okay?

Thanks for your time!

Edited by Prophet

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

53 minutes ago, Prophet said:

I'm posting about this name, presented without context:

 

" hang me - bang me "

 

Now, presented with context:

 

It's a lyric from Beautiful World by lasah, which is in no way a "dirty" song (the lyrics allude to violence, i.e., "shoot me," "slash me.") However, of course, it should be judged as others would see it on-scroll: with no context. Which is why it concerns me 😅 I know DC is English-centric and may see slang before real definitions.

 

bangg.PNG.6f9c3d068544e9f03cdd4cc132335d82.PNG

 

^^ I assume, since the slang definition does not appear in search, it should be okay?

Thanks for your time!

I mean, if you don't mind people taking it the wrong way, I think it's okay. But if someone doesn't know the context, isn't that kind of on them since the actual meaning is fairly appropriate? Or maybe I'm the only one who would interpret naming that way since it's kind of a personal thing XD

 

8 hours ago, XDLugia said:

I used to have a dragon called "dirty magazine", since it was part of a song lyric. I've since renamed it, until I'm more certain that it's good. So ... Is it? XD

Sounds acceptable to me.

Edited by The Dragoness

Share this post


Link to post

I just tried to name a hatchie Yuen Siu Too - from the names of its parents.

 

Quote

The name you entered contains inappropriate words and cannot be used.

 

Can someone explain ?

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

@StormWizard212 - or ANYONE ? I want to name the poor thing....

 

ETA it kicks in when I type in Siu - fine - and then add the t - with or without a space.

 

For Siut, Google only gives me the acronym for a medical foundation, the word ear in Inuktitut, and to singe or burn with fire, in Malay....

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

@StormWizard212 - or ANYONE ? I want to name the poor thing....

 

ETA it kicks in when I type in Siu - fine - and then add the t - with or without a space.

 

For Siut, Google only gives me the acronym for a medical foundation, the word ear in Inuktitut, and to singe or burn with fire, in Malay....

 

It's because this word could be stylised to look like something inappropriate by capitalising the i and leaving the rest lowercase. The meaning of the word itself isn't always the issue, but how it could be used as censor evasion. It's just unfortunate that this happens to form the name of a character you wanted to name a dragon after. Could you just call your dragon Yuen Siu instead? 

Share this post


Link to post

I'd REALLY rather not; it was supposed to combine its parents names,. But thanks - that is unusually silly, and it doesn't kick in the censor here - but OK. I'll think of something.

Share this post


Link to post

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.