MisaTange

Name Check Thread

I just caught this great Script/Arsani checker, and one of the Arsani's names is "Heart Catcher on the Rye"....Im going to be honest I actually cant tell if this is "huh, oh yeah sure, whatever" or "what the actual crap is wrong with you"

......."Heart David Chapman" NVM I'm going with CHapter 27, still a reference but..not his actual name with the word' heart' in it

Edited by bloodyneptune

Is using the word erotic in names okay? (An example whom I just named.)

Is 'The Golden Poop' an okay name for a dragon?

Is "asexual" an okay word to use?

I mean... Objectively, the meaning is not inappropriate in the slightest. I'm just worried somebody would ignore the "a" prefix, or report it because "Oh my lord, 'sex'!?" And since I'm planning a lineage full of asexual puns, if all of them were reported at once, I don't even want to think of what'd happen to my scroll or naming rights...

Thanks for your time ✌️

Hmm, doesn't seem like posts here are being responded to anymore, but I'll ask anyway... Is it okay to use the word 'genial' in a name? It just means friendly, but as I was typing the name in I realized how close it is to a 'naughty' word that has to do with anatomy and I wasn't sure if it would look like a misspelling of that or something.

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Hmm, doesn't seem like posts here are being responded to anymore, but I'll ask anyway... Is it okay to use the word 'genial' in a name? It just means friendly, but as I was typing the name in I realized how close it is to a 'naughty' word that has to do with anatomy and I wasn't sure if it would look like a misspelling of that or something.

That's perfectly fine, there's nothing wrong with the word 'genial'. It's pretty easy to tell it's not a misspelling in context.

Is it bad to use "Dick," as in a name? Like this dragon.

It's named after a character named Dick Orchard from His Dark Materials, and I don't want it to be flagged or killed because it is also the "other thing." 

@The Dragoness Thanks for your input :) I always just worry because while the name should be ok, sometimes things automatically get bopped on the head when it comes to naughty-ish words. 

Edited by Toyo

16 hours ago, Toyo said:

Is it bad to use "Dick," as in a name? Like this dragon.

It's named after a character named Dick Orchard from His Dark Materials, and I don't want it to be flagged or killed because it is also the "other thing." 

Obviously not a mod, but I think it's perfectly fine. It is a real name after all. Words that could have multiple meanings seem to be okay as long as you're not using them inappropriately.

Hooh boy, this is a weird one lol. 

So I grabbed a golden wyvern egg in the cave with the id rriiB.Is this name inappropriate? I mean, maybe a little bit? But also out of context, no. They do play ads for this product on public television and even on spotify for minors to hear. It's a weird grey area where it's not explicit sexual content but also it's overtly referencing an object. I tried to make it vague enough to go over someone not in on the joke's head. I'd be open to tweaking the name.

I just named a dragon Effable Almerald - because of its code. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/effable

As in "Ineffable" but he ISN'T ineffable 

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/ineffable

Then I got to wondering.... @purpledragonclaw - what think you ? It's a perfectly respectable word...

Resurrecting this thread to ask whether the word 'sexuality' is okay in a name. I've noticed that names with words like homosexual, asexual and heterosexual seem to be fine, but what if you go without a prefix? I'm planning a gay pride themed rainbow lineage and would like to name the dragons after the meanings of the original flag's colours. Since pink stands for sex (which I assume won't be allowed), might 'Pink for sexuality' be okay as a name in the context of such a lineage?

8 hours ago, Aie said:

Resurrecting this thread to ask whether the word 'sexuality' is okay in a name. I've noticed that names with words like homosexual, asexual and heterosexual seem to be fine, but what if you go without a prefix? I'm planning a gay pride themed rainbow lineage and would like to name the dragons after the meanings of the original flag's colours. Since pink stands for sex (which I assume won't be allowed), might 'Pink for sexuality' be okay as a name in the context of such a lineage?

Granted, I'm not a mod so I don't know 100%, but I feel like sexuality would be okay? Like, it's pretty easy to figure out the context of sexuality right out the gate whereas just 'sex' you'd have to dig in the lineage to go "ohhh okay they're not meaning the activity" but with sexuality I feel like that's a non-existent problem, if that reasoning makes sense. 🤣

NVM

Thanks!

Shala

alot

Edited by Shala
tired of waiting for a response, no longer relevant

21 hours ago, Wiz said:

Doing another Discworld lineage, this one based around the Unseen Library. I want to name my dragon after one of the books found in the Library,  

https://dragcave.net/lineage/AgYwR

is it safe?

Thanks.

References to lewd acts are not permitted, so this kinda sits on the boundary. I would lean toward no, though it's right on the edge. 

Is it okay to self-censor a word in a name? I'm working on a lyrical, and at one point it uses the mild swear that's both a synonym for "poop" and "stuff" (I don't want to say the word directly in case it's not allowed on the forum, but I know it's not allowed to be in a dragon name as it is).

The lyric in question would, ideally, be converted into a name as "cause that s--- isn't right".

If that's too close to censor evasion, can I replace the word with four dashes instead, letting context do the work for me?

Or would it be better to just omit the word entirely, or replace it with a word like "stuff" or "just"?

2 hours ago, Keileon said:

"cause that s--- isn't right".

How about "because that BEEP isn't right" capitalisation optional.

I love the word beep or beeping. It hides so many sins in RL when you need to vent lol.