RheaZen

Rhea's Art

Well, it appears to be bidirectional, so you should probably shift it or adjust your shading. It's looking pillow-highlighted. The increased contrast is better, though. But what happened to the wing membrane?

Hope I'm not intruding.

user posted image

Don't mind the weird pixels surrounding the lines. That just happens on my ms paint. But is anatomy correct?

Sorry, but nope ^^; Check the wing picture in my OP for references on proper anatomy. You've also got a lot of straight lines on your sprites.

The wing arm's a bit noodly and the membrane shading is... weird. Top-down is really a bad choice for lightsource on this guy. Also, You should leave off the membrane lines until you get everything else right.

Mrph, there should be shadows on the butt and the tail shouldn've have so much highlight on it. The flipper's shading/highlighting ought to be flipped shading-wise as well. The jaw area should be in shadow. As for the wings, I meant just the lines, not the wing fingers themselves. The wing arms are still noodly as well.

^^ Thanks for your previous help, I hope you don't mind me asking for some more help...

I am not sure if this is good shading or not... if not could you please link me to a guide, or explain why. Thank you! biggrin.gif

user posted image

(That is the Jasper Dragon)

Thanks!

Nope, that's not good shading. It appears to be slightly pillow shaded. The Dragon Requests thread on spriting has some tutorials/guides on what that is and how to avoid it, so look at those. But basically, you're shading outlines and highlighting insides or vice versa. It's hard to tell the directionality of your lightsource, if there is one at all.

i want to get this done so i dont have to look at it anymore.

user posted image

^-^ Okay so I restarted the shading and I don't think its pillow shaded anymore...

user posted image Thats just the beginning, I just want to make sure I am not pillow shading it smile.gif Thanks!

Thanks Rhea! It's really nice to have someone take the time to help complete beginners.

Um, well this is how I've changed it (colours can be ignored, its just hard to see the arms otherwise). I'm not very good at free handing so I'm not sure how the arms turned out. The feathers are still a bit rough I think, but hows it generally looking?

user posted imageuser posted image

Sandface - You'll want to go back to the original wing anatomy (as currently it's not correct) and to try repositioning the ears. You can reference Sen for the ears, as in the end they ought to be in roughly the same position.

rabbit - It still seems like there's no one distinct light source... can you block out the shading with just the highlight, flatcolor and darkest shadow/ Without the markings? Also, the wing's anatomy isn't quite right and its position is a bit odd, what with it blocking a bit of the head and all. You'll want to make the upper wing arm lower (upper as in the length of the arm connected to the shoulder). It also seems a bit chubby for wings of that size, if it's meant to fly.

Prince - I'm doing this out of complete and utter selfishness :> But hey if it's a win-win does that matter? :P

Better, though as you said the wing feathers (and other parts of the wing) are still rough. The tail's been smoothed out nicely as well. As for the arm... hm. try positioning the left arm (our left) where it was before, see how that turns out. Also, for the head-fins, we ought to still be able to see just a little bit of the left (our left) fin, which might help with the teeny amount of flatline there at the top of the head. Also, if those lines on the chest are plates, you might want to make sure they're directionally consistent.

Hm... is this meant to be a dragon, or a winged seal? Either way, the pose is very... bland. It's not flying, or sitting, or doing anything, it's just... a neutral, boring pose, hovering in midair. We could fix up all the technical bits but still not have a good sprite. D'ya still want crits, though?

Also, IT'S DONE AT LAST.

user posted image

thats soo great! i really like it <3

The ears, Sand, so that you don't have to work on them later when you've got colors.

And where shall i move them then?

it looks ...messed up

user posted image

Edited by Sandface