RheaZen

Rhea's Art

The fur is love. I think it's looking great.

No way would I be able to do something like that.

I would most definitely die. xd.png

Well trying my first sprite lines, and yeah, this is as far as I've got and I'm not sure how to go on, especially with regards to the feathers:

user posted image

So your advice would be much appreciated happy.gif

:3 Thanks tiki, saph.

Prince - For the feathers, I suggest looking at the wing picture in my OP. Currently the most obvious problem is that they're rather fat. LadyLyzar also is a great artist to reference - go to the Completed List and look for feathered dragons she's worked on. That's what I did to get the feathers for my cassowary dragon right. The pose of the dragon is a bit odd and rather un-dragon-like, especially with the splayed arms. The tail has a number of flat lines that need to be smoothed/curved, and the hind legs look a wee bit fat. I'll stop with that for now.

Puppy - You'll want to check your anatomy and your lines. Spritelines should only be one pixel thick. The forelegs are too fat and low on the chest, the body is rather skinny (for a dragon like this), the head's a bit large, the hind legs lack proper anatomy as do the wings, and of course it's been cut off.

Thanks a lot, Rhea.

It was my first sprite ever and not done in a very well program xd.png I guess it won't be a problem if I start again in Paint or Photoshop. I think I do that tomorrow wink.gif

I hope your eyes don't burn at the sight of the wings on this spriteline.

user posted image

Edit:

user posted image

Edited by wonton55912

Hm... is this meant to be a dragon, or a winged seal? Either way, the pose is very... bland. It's not flying, or sitting, or doing anything, it's just... a neutral, boring pose, hovering in midair. We could fix up all the technical bits but still not have a good sprite. D'ya still want crits, though?

Also, IT'S DONE AT LAST.

user posted image

Oh that looks fabulous Rhea! You should definitely put that in your sig. wink.gif

Oh and.... I hate hatchies...

user posted image

It looks horrible... DX

Hm. Looks like you're using the original design... the wing needs more wing fingers, to match the adults. You seem to have a thing for tails going every which way, and while it currently isn't in an impossible position, it does look a bit odd. My main concern is that it looks rather similar in posture to the adults - try something different? Maybe have it laying down, or pouncing?

&ty<3 I did put it into the rotation of one of my images so you should see it pop up periodically. I might change that though...

Edited by RheaZen

Yeah I was going to say it looks like a mini adult rather than a hatchling.

I'm just not so good at poses so I'm not sure what to do with them. But I can try something else.

Try experimenting with sketches first rather than spriting from scratch - it's easier to erase and redraw, retrace, etc.

It's supposed to be sitting. Did I make it too much like a seal?

Yes, I still want crit.

Tried a new one. I hate Paint >> can anyone tell me how to make a pixel (like in paint) image in Photoshop Elements 8?

user posted image

Edited by Puppylikestosti

wonton - Alright then, I'll just cover the technical bits in that case. Yes, it looks very much like a seal. The whiskers look very odd, as if they're plastered onto the face. The wing membrane should connect more on the sides of the body rather than at the dorsum, the flipper's connection to the body is too thin (it looks like it's about to fall off) and the tail is bent at an awkward angle that does not suggest that it's sitting. This is stylized but gives an idea of what you could do.

Puppy - Wing Anatomy. Check my OP for some references. Your wings need an extra section/joint. You've still got some doubly-thick lines on the sprite. The tail/body/neck overall have some thick-thin issues, and the head is turned in such a way that the neck may or may not be broken. It's a good attempt at an active pose, but you might want to try something simpler first so that you can get the basics down before moving on.

Yeah, it takes some time getting used to spriting and translating your skill in other mediums to it. It's all "Hey this line looks wrong, let's move it and then now I have to smooth it out and then it still looks wrong let's try this again argh wtf".

I'd get rid of them in that case.

I don't really know what you want me to do. Technically, it's all right - there aren't any double-lines or stairsteps or such. Non-technically, the pose is extremely awkward. No matter what you do technically, it won't make the sprite any better. It might be easiest to start from scratch. Do you sketch much?

Maybe it could just be about to take off from the sitting position? I can't do that without straight lines.

Tried removing the whiskers, looked too weird.

Edited by wonton55912

Well, if it's about to take off the wings would be in a different position.

Sketching is a good way of learning how to posture/position things without all the hassle that spriting entails.

Let's just say I can't sketch.

Tried shading even though the pose is weird.

user posted image

Fail

You'll want to increase your contrast so you can see what you're doing. Also, where is the lightsource? It seems inconsistent.