RheaZen

Rhea's Art

I don't think I will be continuing this sprite,I understand what you are explaining though ,I did learn more about shading and anatomy. Thanks again, you helped me a lot :]

Edited by blargh

Alright then. Feel free to drop by anytime.

In regards to the spriting class I taught not too long ago, this is the product of one of my students:

http://i55.tinypic.com/dxqhl.jpg

(If you don't know what Epic Sax Guy is, go here.)

Edited by RheaZen

Alright, the weekend's here so I'll be trying to work on some stuff here (I feel bad for neglecting you all) but between school and a camping trip (yes me and my friends are crazy, but so's the weather) I might not be able to get much done.

Sand - Going to work on yours.

Here we go: user posted image

Before getting to the numbers... 101 colors? How? Next time around (yes you will have to redo it), use the colors I put inside the 0 of the red 101. Those colors only.

1. Wing shading is good. Thumbs up!

2. Be wary of stray pixels.

3. You've got an isolated shadow next to a highlight. The entire area should be in light to moderate shadow rather than a sort of oval.

4. Straight lines, and a bit to the right of the arrow you'll see I put some highlights in where there should be some. On the top of the belly, see?

5. The shadow there is fine, but it extends out a bit much. Have it wrap closer to the body, that's all.

6. You shouldn't highlight there, as that's pillowshading. That particular area also seems to be a major culprit in regards to your high color count, as you have a lot of excess similar shades.

7. The shading there makes your sprite look unrealistic and flat. I've put up a couple of examples of shading that show how to make it look more real. Basically, don't stick the highlight straight up against the outline of the sprite. The ball example is better than the weird one off to the side.

Soo..what do i do now?

Keep the things I said in mind and redo the sprite only using the colors in the 0. Hopefully this'll help with your color count issue.

...redo..again..as in like the 4th time.. >__>

yeah i fail at this

user posted image

Edited by Sandface

No, it's not so bad. You're forgetting the part about the "roundness" in highlights, though, and the chest highlights shouldn't go all the way to the bottom of the chest. They should terminate right around where the "7" arrow is, and the shadows should start shortly after.

the sprite is just sitting open in PS

[bump]

have to do something with it

asdlfkjh I am so sorry ;_;

The chest shading is a little better, but you're still missing the general idea about hte roundness. Also, the bit of shadow that'd been cast by the head is now gone - it was nice before, just not placed correctly. The highlights on the top of the bottom curve (sorry for awkward wording) should follow the body instead of being straight side to side like it is now. You can also try some dithering now to experiment with blending and/or texture.

I played around with the head and around the middle of the body and down on the bottom curve area

user posted image

It looks better! I like what you did. However, I don't like what I'm seeing with the pallet. What's your color count?

If you want to continue on and add more detail, draw a mid-colored line from the eye socket to the nose, like on this guy..

Thanks! The color count ..er like what do u mean? it's circled in red..the list on the left is the blending...cause u said i could do that.

user posted image

Eeeh, is blending what you've been doing in the past? When I mentioned dithering I didn't mean changing the colors, I meant alternating pixels of two different colors.

Say that O is one color and X is another, and I want to dither them together in a gradient. I'd end up with:

OOOXOOOXXOOXXXOXXX

OOOOOOXOOXXOXXXXXX

OOOXOOOXXOOXXXOXXX

OOOOOOXOOXXOXXXXXX

Or something like that.

Er i have no clue by what you mean with that X and O color example thingy O_O

I can't really see it and I can't open PS at the moment. Any way you can zoom the image and post that?

umm om nom nom its kinda blurry...but yes

user posted image

Yes, that's the general idea. I'm a bit worried at how many colors you have, still. Do you save the file as a gif or a png?

Save it as a gif, and a window that shows yoru color count should pop up in the process.

Yeah, that's definitely way over what you should have. *Scratches head* How on earth does this keep happening?

How do you select your colors? Are you using the pencil tool and the pencil setting for the eraser?