TJ09

2010-12-27 -Tree Decorating Event

Did I miss a memo or something?  'Cause I feel like I did, and it read something like this...

TO: all DC players

Please be aware that the tree-decorating contest starts in a few days.  As some of you already know, one of the ornaments will be shaped like TJ's symbol, and one of the available tree-toppers will resemble a Western-style dragon with a white dot over its head.  No matter what else you choose to do with your design, PLEASE BE CERTAIN -- this is important! -- to place TJ's symbol directly above the dragon's head, covering the white spot.

Thank you for your compliance with this mandate.  That is all.

The secret masters of the forum work in mysterious ways. They are also arch-nemesis' with the secret forum monkeys, who sometimes catch a hold of a few of the secret masters of the forum's memos and eat them, ensuring that their memo's never reach everyone on the forums.

But shh! They can't know I told you this!

Did I miss a memo or something? 'Cause I feel like I did, and it read something like this...

Please be aware that the tree-decorating contest starts in a few days. As some of you already know, one of the ornaments will be shaped like TJ's symbol, and one of the available tree-toppers will resemble a Western-style dragon with a white dot over its head. No matter what else you choose to do with your design, PLEASE BE CERTAIN -- this is important! -- to place TJ's symbol directly above the dragon's head, covering the white spot.

Thank you for your compliance with this mandate. That is all.

First I've heard of it, I don't know anyone else who got that message. Did they even say why you should do that?

The secret masters of the forum work in mysterious ways. They are also arch-nemesis' with the <span style='font-family:optima'>secret forum monkeys, who sometimes catch a hold of a few of the secret masters of the forum's memos and eat them, ensuring that their memo's never reach everyone on the forums.

But shh! They can't know I told you this!</span>

lol, reminds me of a ferternity or surority at collage

First I've heard of it, I don't know anyone else who got that message. Did they even say why you should do that?

dude he's not being serious. incidentally, i did that exact thing with my tree. i can't help it if the symbol fits directly over the dragon's white ball of doom.

Did anyone else see the eastern topper that was perched on the side of the tree, with the candle, uh, in place of the tree top? I wasn't sure if I should rate it up or down!

If I even make it in the final 200 I'll be deliriously happy.

It's not clear whether you'll be told if you do make the top 200.

Did anyone else see the eastern topper that was perched on the side of the tree, with the candle, uh, in place of the tree top? I wasn't sure if I should rate it up or down!

There are lots like that...

dude he's not being serious. incidentally, i did that exact thing with my tree. i can't help it if the symbol fits directly over the dragon's white ball of doom.

Of course, this is exactly what somebody WOULD say if they didn't want you to know about the memo... ninja.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Just spent two solid minutes staring at what must be a picture tree, but without figuring out the picture. From now on, if I can't see what it is the instant the page loads, I give up. This is like those stereoscopic dot mosaics that some people can see and others can't... and the the people who can see them can't understand why the other people can't... and the people who can't think the people who can are being too smug about it... and then everybody goes home from the store in tears... wink.gif

Did I miss a memo or something?  'Cause I feel like I did, and it read something like this...

Please be aware that the tree-decorating contest starts in a few days.  As some of you already know, one of the ornaments will be shaped like TJ's symbol, and one of the available tree-toppers will resemble a Western-style dragon with a white dot over its head.  No matter what else you choose to do with your design, PLEASE BE CERTAIN -- this is important! -- to place TJ's symbol directly above the dragon's head, covering the white spot.

Thank you for your compliance with this mandate.  That is all.

xd.png !!!

I avoided using any of the provided tree toppers, as lovely as they were (I MacGyvered up my own lol). Don't know if that help or hurt me, but I'm glad because I probably would have gone for something like this and the one thing I've been happy with is that I haven't seen one tree like mine yet. That's probably not going to turn out to be a good sign, but it will keep me warm when in 8,573rd place. laugh.gif

LOL xd.png!

Secret masters of the future would be a better idea xd.png

xd.png !!!

I avoided using any of the provided tree toppers, as lovely as they were (I MacGyvered up my own lol). Don't know if that help or hurt me, but I'm glad because I probably would have gone for something like this and the one thing I've been happy with is that I haven't seen one tree like mine yet. That's probably not going to turn out to be a good sign, but it will keep me warm when in 8,573rd place. laugh.gif

I voted up a tree that made its own tree topper out of baubles, but a lot of the people who were trying to create a tree topper (particularly those who used the dragon toppers elsewhere on the tree) ended up feeling unbalanced. It's definitely a more advanced technique (to me), and prone to issues.

Hm, I never considered making my own topper. But, I'm glad I didn't, because I know that I would mess it up.

*sighs* Why can't I get some of those picture ones? I've been seeing so many overloaded trees that anything with a color scheme where I can actually see the tree is getting higher points than usual, simply because when I see it my eyes all but sigh with relief. Which sounds really weird when I type it. rolleyes.gif

I've been getting all types, and lots of the I 'heart' DC ones too. I actually like the fully loaded trees as long as they don't look like someone couldn't be bothered and just *threw* everything and the kitchen sink on it. There were some 2011 ones too and every time I saw those, I kept thinking, shouldn't it be 2010, since it's 2010 Xmas Tree decorating contest?

I really hope we get through all the trees in this contest, one of my friends knows what my tree looks like and she still hasn't seen anything like it appear and she's been voting since it started, so I don't really have much hope it'll even appear, much less get any kind of good points xd.png *shrugs*

I voted up a tree that made its own tree topper out of baubles, but a lot of the people who were trying to create a tree topper (particularly those who used the dragon toppers elsewhere on the tree) ended up feeling unbalanced.  It's definitely a more advanced technique (to me), and prone to issues.

I was actually really happy with the way it turned out...but as I made it I'm kinda biased. xd.png

The one thing I did notice, though, is that it's made my tree look much shorter than most. But since I used a (hopefully) sleeker theme, it may work out. But I went and looked at mine, the other day, after voting for a while, and I thought, "OMG! It's so short!" ohmy.gif

I think that I've decided that the most difficult decoration to use well is the red and gold garland.  Some people manage to Tim Gunn it, but most of the trees look like they're missing their pants.  xd.png

If people use it well, total bonus points.

I came to the same realization. Apparently that garland was ridiculously hard to make work; it A) does not sit properly on the tree unless you line it up JUST right, B ) does not span the whole breadth of the tree regardless, so you have to balance it right or it looks weird, C) absolutely does not layer successfully with any other garland, and D) divides the tree in half, so the person decorating it really needs to do a great job on the bottom half to avoid that pants-less effect.

I gave an 8 or something to one tree solely on the basis of successfully using that garland. Once our trees unfreeze, I now want to play with it and figure out what's up with it. :-)

Edited by tjekan

im scared no one will get my picture xd.pngD I like it alot.png though. Theres no possible way I'm going to get through all these trees. i hate it when I get ones with like, one ornament on it.

How do you rate a picture tree if you're not sure what the picture is?

IMO, if someone's main theme is a picture and I can't tell what it is, then I consider that to be the equivalent of a traditional tree that's working towards the Katamari side of things. Just like a traditional tree needs to be pleasing to the eye through balance, a picture tree needs to be recognizable - otherwise it's just a bizarre cluster of ornaments.

However, I'm sure that other people have a much more lenient take, and that's cool, too. smile.gif

I gave an 8 or something to one tree solely on the basis of successfully using that garland. Once our trees unfreeze, I now want to play with it and figure out what's up with it. :-)

I also want to play with the more difficult elements of the decorations once the trees are unfrozen. But I will say that I hope that we don't have them available all year (which I know is contrary to popular opinion). I'd love to do this again next year, and having the entire year to set up a design seems a little too much.

Although perhaps we'll do something like gingerbread houses next year and then alternate back and forth with different themes.

I also want to play with the more difficult elements of the decorations once the trees are unfrozen. But I will say that I hope that we don't have them available all year (which I know is contrary to popular opinion). I'd love to do this again next year, and having the entire year to set up a design seems a little too much.

I'd like to do it again next year too, but I hope we get some shiny new ornaments to play with for the next contest. (In particular, more colored ornaments!) That would make it interesting all over again next year, and in the meantime we can play with last year's ornaments without ulterior motives. :-)

I'd like to do it again next year too, but I hope we get some shiny new ornaments to play with for the next contest. (In particular, more colored ornaments!) That would make it interesting all over again next year, and in the meantime we can play with last year's ornaments without ulterior motives. :-)

I'd love some new ornaments for next year. I think that the artists did an amazing job this year, but I'd love to see what would be created with a year's worth of notice.

Also, I'd be happy if we had a cap on the amount of ornaments we could use, but the ability to duplicate ornaments. There were a number of decorations (like the snowflake and the icy ornament) that I would have liked to use to make a theme. I don't know if that would be too much of a burden on the server, but I think it would be awesome. It would also give people who want to go with certain color schemes a greater range and create more diversity among the trees. For every exquisite silver/blue I see, I get a dozen that look exactly the same.

another thing that would be cool is if you could hang the snow globs with your dragons in it. like you can customize it or some way to add your dragons in it

Dang! I keep clicking on the Christmas trees but I guess I'm too slow... I haven't been able to catch any yet!