Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Okay, I'll create that sometime today. Thanks for the answers!

Thank you!

I'd like to propose that a thread being unpopular should not be a factor for its closing/locking. Even the most unpopular ideas can be decent suggestions and harbor interesting and useful discussions.

I don't know how many threads have been closed due to being 'unpopular', but a recently locked topic mentioned that reasoning as being a factor. I'd like to see this nipped in the bud and not become a common reason for (even more) locked topics.

...if you're talking about the music thread, complete dislike [i don't think there was a single post of support] combined with very very good reasons why it is not something that would ever work with DC is very different from closing something just for being "unpopular".

If a thread was closed for just being unpopular, the gold thread would have been closed a long time before it was.

Even what appears to be 'complete dislike' can have good discussion, brain storming, and worthwhile discussion. Besides, who is to say that those who do like the idea just haven't posted, or are maybe intimidated by the vocal crowd of people who dislike it? Closing a thread based on its popularity-- which is what "complete dislike" of an idea comes down to-- is not something that should be practiced. It's counterproductive to coming up with possible features and suggestions, biased to the vocal majority (and nothing says the majority of posters can't be wrong, misguided, and ill-intended), and stifles any good that may come from a thread. If TJ decides that something could never, ever, be implemented and is completely and utterly impossible, then let him close the thread and make that decision.

I don't care for the music thread, myself, and don't care about the reasons it could never work on DC. I just care that the apparent popularity of a suggestion has an effect on whether a thread stays open or not. It shouldn't.

...if you're talking about the music thread, complete dislike [i don't think there was a single post of support] combined with very very good reasons why it is not something that would ever work with DC is very different from closing something just for being "unpopular".

If a thread was closed for just being unpopular, the gold thread would have been closed a long time before it was.

Agreed.

There's a difference between "unpopular" and "every single other person besides the OP is against it". There is simply no reason to keep a thread open when *every* response in a 2-page thread is against the suggestion. (not to mention, there was a whole list of reasons why that particular thread was closed, not just "unpopular").

A LOT of suggestion threads come from newbies who don't know much about what DragonCave is and isn't. When they suggest something so completely off the wall, something that everyone else knows is a bad idea, there's absolutely no reason to let the thread fill up with pages and pages of "no"s. Just close it.

edit: There already *was* discussion in that particular thread, discussion that centered around all the very real and very serious reasons why that suggestion should not be considered. Lag, hearing the same thing over and over when you refresh, copyright, etc etc. There was discussion.

I'm sorry, but "the people who agreed just haven't posted yet!" shouldn't be an excuse to keep an obviously-shot-down idea open. And if we go off the assumption that some users agreed but didn't post because of the vocal majority, why would them not posting change if the thread was left open? If the thread was left open, there would simply be a longer thread of "vocal majority", and those users still wouldn't speak up.

Edited by Marie19R

1 and a half pages of non-supportive responses is enough to determine that the entity of DC dislikes the idea and that the very foundation of the suggestion will never be implemented. Right. I can think of two current threads that are going on that have a fair share on people against it, yet I sure hope those won't be closed because "majority don't like it".

There is simply no reason to keep a thread open when *every* response in a 2-page thread is against the suggestion.

So because people enjoy parroting and regurgitating the same responses one after the other, nothing good can come of a thread whatsoever? Again, I can think of some suggestions that were met with negative responses at first, but ended up going into a detailed, in-depth discussion and providing insight.

Once again, I don't care about the music thread or what the "other" reasons it was closed are. I care that the popularity of a thread can determine whether it remains open. I made a thread in Dragon BSAs and it was met with negative responses at first, before turning into a good, suggestion-building discussion. I'm glad it wasn't locked after the first 5 posts weren't very supportive, because it ended up turning into a really worthwhile discussion (and helped my idea).

If the thread had been closed because of blah de blah and solely those reasons, then fine. The fact that the thread's popularity was included as a reason for its locking is what I am against.

Edited by Nine

Like I said before, if just "the majority doesn't like it" was enough to close a thread the gold thread as an example would have been closed long before it was.

There was a giant list in the music thread of rather severe reasons why it would be a horrible idea, and absolutely no redeeming ideas posted. The thread would have just been pages and pages of the exact same thing over and over again. And that list was the reason I closed it. The unpopularity was just another strike against it.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Like I said before, if just "the majority doesn't like it" was enough to close a thread the gold thread as an example would have been closed long before it was.

There was a giant list in the music thread of rather severe reasons why it would be a horrible idea, and absolutely no redeeming ideas posted.  The thread would have just been pages and pages of the exact same thing over and over again.

Then it would have been better to close the thread because of those reasons only and not even mention the popularity of the thread as a factor. Because it shouldn't be a factor. Even the most terrible, scatterbrained ideas without any forethought should never have their popularity brought up as a reason for its closure.

So this entire thing is because I happened to mention the fact that the thread was completely unpopular in my summary post?

Seriously.

The main purpose of the post was to list all the reasons why it should not be added to the site and give an alternative to the OP for having music. The complete unpopularity was just another nail in the coffin.

I don't believe that's an unreasonable request of Nine and I believe it's something TJ actually talked to me about a while back (a loooooong while back) when I closed a few threads like that when he had wanted to see where the discussion was going (even with one he didn't have plans of doing) and so stopped closing threads for that reason. ^^

I agree, the other reasons were fine, but we should keep in mind for feedback of topics that the forum does not host all users, not even all forum-goers check this section, and sometimes the discussion can bring up other ideas, even if not really related to the original suggestion. x3

I agree that threads should not be closed only for unpopularity. And. That. Is. Not. What. I. Did.

I don't think anyone's saying that that's what you did, PF13. I think all Nine was pointing out was an example that had occurred recently. He wasn't saying that you closed that thread solely because it was unpopular. He just thinks that threads shouldn't be closed due to popularity, but for other reasons instead.

I also agree with him.

I would very much appreciate it if warns were handed out a bit less liberally. I recently made a sarcastic post and got warned for 'sniping at other users.' Note that my post did not attack the other person, call names, mock their belief systems or any other such drastic thing. I simply responded dryly to their accusations... and got saddled with a warn for it.

Here's the post:

Ah, yes, because our use of the word Christmas in a secular way and our tree decorating and our gingerbread baking and our red-gold-green dragons are clearly all about offending and excluding people. Except no.

Almost all of my warns lately have been for such small things, and it's starting to drive me nuts. I talked with the mod about it and they actually removed all my warns because TJ removed a warn from a post worse than any of mine. While I'm happy about that, I would've much rather never gotten them to begin with--and I really hope the mods try to be a bit less strict from now on. Save your warns for people who are clearly trying to be offensive, not sarcastic or grumbly people.

As a side note, I think PF has made it pretty clear that she didn't close the thread because it was unpopular--simply added that statement as a nail in the coffin of a very dead idea--so you can probably stop accusing her of stuff now. While that thread wasn't very long, I agree that a large amount of relevant concerns had already been discussed. It's not the length of a thread, it's the content... Not to mention that, y'know, TJ can always have it reopened if he finds any merit in the idea.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I would very much appreciate it if warns were handed out a bit less liberally. I recently made a sarcastic post and got warned for 'sniping at other users.' Note that my post did not attack the other person, call names, mock their belief systems or any other such drastic thing. I simply responded dryly to their accusations... and got saddled with a warn for it.

Almost all of my warns lately have been for such small things, and it's starting to drive me nuts. I talked with the mod about it and they actually removed all my warns because TJ removed a warn from a post worse than any of mine. While I'm happy about that, I would've much rather never gotten them to begin with--and I really hope the mods try to be a bit less strict from now on. Save your warns for people who are clearly trying to be offensive, not sarcastic or grumbly people.

As a side note, I think PF has made it pretty clear that she didn't close the thread because it was unpopular--simply added that statement as a nail in the coffin of a very dead idea--so you can probably stop accusing her of stuff now. While that thread wasn't very long, I agree that a large amount of relevant concerns had already been discussed. It's not the length of a thread, it's the content... Not to mention that, y'know, TJ can always have it reopened if he finds any merit in the idea.

Oh god I hope he doesn't find any merit in it.... the LAG alone would....

One of my warns (a while ago) would unquestionably have been another member taking a snit at it - it was harmless, but they must have minded as I feel sure it would have been a report that did it - it wasn't the kind of thing a mod would have picked up on unaided wink.gif. I PMd the mod about it and they pointed out that almost everyone in the thread had copped a warn, so....

It must be hard to be a mod when one member takes offence at another member's posts.... you are almost in a position of being accused of taking sides,

EDIT: Came off as a whiny little brat.

I don't believe that is a problem with the mod team; I believe it is a problem I have [the warns]. I see that. I'll stop it.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Another thing about warns that I'd like to see. Is when mods warn someone, theres no alert or anything, and I doubt anyone stares at their warn level everyday checking for warns. Sock already PM's about warns she gives with an in-depth explanation of why you got warned.

I would like to see the other mods doing this too, just because sometimes the 'reason' above your warn isn't very in-depth. A simple PM could clear up any confusion with warns.

Another thing about warns that I'd like to see. Is when mods warn someone, theres no alert or anything, and I doubt anyone stares at their warn level everyday checking for warns. Sock already PM's about warns she gives with an in-depth explanation of why you got warned.

I would like to see the other mods doing this too, just because sometimes the 'reason' above your warn isn't very in-depth. A simple PM could clear up any confusion with warns.

You already have that. If you click on percentage by warn bar, you get a pop-up window with history of your warns. Mods usually post short explanation and a link to the post in question.

ETA: And if that isn't enough, you can always PM them yourself.

Edited by PointOfOrigin

Yes I know, but normally i don't check to see if I even have warns. A short PM would be good. That's all i mean...

Yes I know, but normally i don't check to see if I even have warns. A short PM would be good. That's all i mean...

You don't need to check. Warn is glaringly obvious between your avatar and gender sign. I just don't think something like that is necessary when mods are already under heavy load. In the past couple of months, there were multiple instances when they had to close the threads completely so that they could go through them and give out warns. Imagine how long it would have taken them to do that if they had to PM every user one by one.

Edited by PointOfOrigin

At this point I always PM when I warn, especially when it's for something like eggspam where the person needs to know to stop, not just when they notice the warn.

You don't need to check. Warn is glaringly obvious between your avatar and gender sign. I just don't think something like that is necessary when mods are already under heavy load. In the past couple of months, there were multiple instances when they had to close the threads completely so that they could go through them and give out warns. Imagine how long it would have taken them to do that if they had to PM every user one by one.

I'll just mention that I PM my warns because of a pile of people who asked for a notification for warns in here because they don't notice when that little number changes or they either had no idea what it meant or didn't know they could click the number to see what the warn was for when they were new users. ^^;;

I'll also mention that PM'ing when we warn is pretty easy, although I do just copy'pasta the warn because if I had to write out something new, that would take a long time.

EDIT: And edited my earlier post as to not come off like a brat. Not what I meant to do. =( I really don't want to become one of those tyrannical mods that the mod team and/or userbase hates/fears/doesn't want around. Not what I was meaning to come off like. My deepest apologies to everyone.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

EDIT: And edited my earlier post as to not come off like a brat. Not what I meant to do. =( I really don't want to become one of those tyrannical mods that the mod team and/or userbase hates/fears/doesn't want around. Not what I was meaning to come off like. My deepest apologies to everyone.

I don't want to sound like I'm sucking up to a mod, but I'd just like to say a thank you for how open you've been about your modding. When you make mistakes, or realize you might be being too harsh, you actually admit it and apologize. I'm not saying other mods don't/wouldn't, but I've seen that specifically with you, and it makes me feel good. I *have* been on other forums where the mods act like they can do no wrong, and it's not a nice atmosphere.

I don't want to sound like I'm sucking up to a mod, but I'd just like to say a thank you for how open you've been about your modding. When you make mistakes, or realize you might be being too harsh, you actually admit it and apologize. I'm not saying other mods don't/wouldn't, but I've seen that specifically with you, and it makes me feel good. I *have* been on other forums where the mods act like they can do no wrong, and it's not a nice atmosphere.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

We love you, Sock~ ♥3♥

We do indeed. wub.gif

And I have never been warned by any of you *cough* without also getting a PM. (and were it not that I would have to admit to stuff, I'd also say that other mods have also been open about this, not least in PMs afterwards xd.png)

I'll just mention that I PM my warns because of a pile of people who asked for a notification for warns in here because they don't notice when that little number changes or they either had no idea what it meant or didn't know they could click the number to see what the warn was for when they were new users. ^^;;

I'll also mention that PM'ing when we warn is pretty easy, although I do just copy'pasta the warn because if I had to write out something new, that would take a long time.

I'm the one who usually stares at warn in hope it'll disappear xd.png Guess I just give to much attention to it. I also thought that you guys write something new every time.