Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

While I can see how it'd be useful to see who'd read a thread... I think it'd bother me if there weren't a way to opt out.

It's not as much that I mind people seeing which threads I've read, specifically. It's that that's one of the things that I prefer in written communication over face-to-face: the ability to think things through before needing to respond, or to wait until I'm less rushed or in a better frame of mind. That's mainly why I ended up switching so my name's not displayed with active users - people seeing me reading something in which they'd addressed me and asking why I hadn't replied yet. XD

Edited by Imbecamiel

Similar ideas aren't merged. Freezing eggs is an idea that still has probably at least five threads out there. Same ideas or extremely similar ideas are merged, especially if the threads are smaller and not large traffic.

If you have a way for IOUs to work on board, post it. I just don't want "re-allow IOUs" or "I dis/agree with the rule" posts. Those were the type of posts removed. If you read through the thread, you'll see I left several posts about how to make IOUs workable on the board without making them some difficult part of the cave.

I'd love to have a function to be able to see who visited a certain topic recently, like in the last hour/2 hours/3 hours/day etc.

Or maybe at least make the number of visits clickable, just like the number of posts.

There is no such functionality in the forum software.

Even if there was, I don't know that I would enable it. I can see people PMing like, "Hey, I see you viewed my dragon concept but didn't comment, what did you think?" or other "unsolicited" messages based on viewing history.

I know that servers are a main deal of commotion in DC Forums (e.g., OMGZ WHY IS THE FORUM DOWN/SLOW!!!!!), and the Cave. So why not adopt an "Adopt a Server" program, or something of the like to reduce stress on the current DC servers?

This is just a basic idea, because then would come what kind of perks for the program, if any would the program give to participants? Maybe a separate biome, a monthly raffle, a monthly CB rare dragon (excluding holidays), the joy of knowing that you contributed to DC, a separate sub-forum, bigger images, ect.?

Would it be possible for someone else to use a server for DC Forums, instead of the "Adopt-a-Server" plan?

People on DC are very against paid perks. It divides the population into the "haves" and the "have nots". It is incredibly unfair for people who would love to contribute to the site, but can't. And there are lots of groups who can't. Children who do not have access to electronic payment methods, people who are living from paycheck to paycheck and have no money to spare, people who do not trust electronic payment methods, etc.

It is also the beginning of a downward spiral. There are so many sites that have been ruined by paid perks, where they start off as something small and relatively innocent, but end up being horrible. Like Gaia, where any decent item either takes real money to get or tons of gold to get from someone who paid real money.

I understand what you mean, even I would not be in the position to be able to contribute to DC financially, or otherwise. However, some people have old computers that could be used as servers for DC, is this possible, I know a website that has a program known as H@H (has to be abbreviated; otherwise, it would be against the rules), which lets your computer run like a server, or are we talking about two different things?

Absolutely against ANY paid perk, even if it would boost performance of the site. It's proven time and again that it can easily ruin otherwise great sites, and I'm pretty sure that with DC's userbase being so opposed to it, it WOULD ruin DC. At least the community part of it, which is what keeps some of us coming back all the time, even when we have nothing to do on our scroll goals.

Edited by KageSora

Ya, no paid perks, but how about a list in the News section saying the names of contributors?

Ya, no paid perks, but how about a list in the News section saying the names of contributors?

I'd personally still consider that kind of recognition a perk of sorts. I'm against anything that singles out people who donate. For those that do, it's about giving back to a site you love and knowing yourself that you've been able to contribute, not about receiving public recognition.

I think TJ would prefer to have total control of the servers. I know I would. Also he was working on improving the hardware he's using (it's in a thread somewhere) but ran into a problem; he had SAID he had "hoped to announce it" by that time, so I assume it isn't done and he will announce it when he has done.

I would never support some players having one of the servers in their home...

And NO, no public recognition for donors. (And I am a very occasional one myself.) I think it's REALLY tacky. You GIVE, you don't "advertise your generosity". Kind of like posting a list of the gifts you gave over Christmas on the internet, to make yourself feel good. UGH.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I think TJ would prefer to have total control of the servers. I know I would. Also he was working on improving the hardware he's using (it's in a thread somewhere) but ran into a problem; he had SAID he had "hoped to announce it" by that time, so I assume it isn't done and he will announce it when he has done.

A thread!? You mean this thread. xd.png One page back, fuzzy. tongue.gif

A thread!? You mean this thread. xd.png One page back, fuzzy. tongue.gif

See my sig.

I don't remember a whole lot. At least that's my story ! Thanks biggrin.gif

It would have been nice though, for a mod or TJ himself to post a news topic acknowledging that there is indeed a problem and they are working on a fix. Rather than TJ only posting an obscure post here - which is a thread that a lot of people don't visit. happy.gif

It would have been nice though, for a mod or TJ himself to post a news topic acknowledging that there is indeed a problem and they are working on a fix. Rather than TJ only posting an obscure post here - which is a thread that a lot of people don't visit. happy.gif

Sometimes I almost think that people should go around collecting up the bits of info that TJ leaves in his posts here and there, because I know that more than once I've found stuff out just by randomly pulling up his posts (usually to see the last time he's posted in the Thuwed thread). That's how I found out that he'd made the change to the AP, a little while back. We almost need a bi-weekly digest or something. tongue.gif

Sometimes I almost think that people should go around collecting up the bits of info that TJ leaves in his posts here and there, because I know that more than once I've found stuff out just by randomly pulling up his posts (usually to see the last time he's posted in the Thuwed thread). That's how I found out that he'd made the change to the AP, a little while back. We almost need a bi-weekly digest or something. tongue.gif

Exactly, I would love some sort of DC weekly or monthly news digest thingy xd.png. I do think members on the whole need to be better informed about things, though (I've never actually thought of looking at all TJ's recent posts, though tongue.gif).

Theres new hardware coming and there was a problem. We dont always have all the info you guys are looking for and sometimes relaying the information we do have is difficult because we are putting it together piece by piece, from the same cryptic bits you guys get to see.

Still, it would be nice to just hear "Yes, we know there is a problem. We are working on figuring out what's wrong and how to fix it, and you'll know more when we do" or something.

Even if there's not a complete picture, having some kind of reassurance that it's being looked into is often pretty good.

I think the news section is really reserved for TJ to post topics in, but would it help if I made a topic in help? I'm thinking most likely locked (just don't want chat to cover the news), but whenever users or I saw a post or heard from TJ on IRC, they could poke me with the update they would like to be shared and I could post it in there.

That sounds like a good idea to me, Sock.

I think the news section is really reserved for TJ to post topics in, but would it help if I made a topic in help? I'm thinking most likely locked (just don't want chat to cover the news), but whenever users or I saw a post or heard from TJ on IRC, they could poke me with the update they would like to be shared and I could post it in there.

I think this is a fantastically fabulous idea-I can't tell you how much I've learned from "bits and pieces" found all over, this would help a lot.

That would be exceptionally useful Sock, thank you.

I think the biggest issue is the lack of acknowledgement. Why is it so hard for TJ to just say something is broken and that he's working on it. We don't need a long technical explanation, just something like.... "hey guys, there's a problem with the forum software. I'm working on it, but it might take a while. Will let you know when it's fixed."

Is that really so hard?

What everyone else said. It would be HUGELY helpful - and yes, please lock it so we can SEE it, and it isn't full of piling with "so THAT was what it was" and so on....

I bet it would cut down on the endless threads in help, not least the duplicates...

Edited by fuzzbucket

Okay, I'll create that sometime today. Thanks for the answers!

Thank you, Sock! I think this will be a really helpful addition! :3