Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

I'd like to see more ads that do NOT flash, blink, animate, move and change images constantly. Certainly there are ads that don't do this, but most of them DO, and it just makes me nuts, so I tend to keep Java script deactivated. Is there a CHOICE involved when putting ads on the site so that maybe TJ can say this one but not that one?

I beleive the ads are related to whatever thread/fourm your in. Often when I'm in the requests section the ads relate to bearded dragons or games.

I'd like to see more ads that do NOT flash, blink, animate, move and change images constantly. Certainly there are ads that don't do this, but most of them DO, and it just makes me nuts, so I tend to keep Java script deactivated. Is there a CHOICE involved when putting ads on the site so that maybe TJ can say this one but not that one?

Google ads are personalized to what Google thinks you're interested in. This means I see a different set of ads than you. (and none of the ones I see flash or are otherwise obnoxious).

If you can get the URL that the ad takes you to (which unfortunately means clicking on it), I can block specific sites from advertising.

Thank you for the reply, TJ! I'll do that!

I wonder what computer-gods 'gave' me this particular set of flashers? Is it browsing history?

Its actually based on what you are looking at on your screen. If your in a section focused on dragons, anything dragon related (pets to games) would appear in the banners.

Google ads are personalized to what Google thinks you're interested in. This means I see a different set of ads than you. (and none of the ones I see flash or are otherwise obnoxious).

If you can get the URL that the ad takes you to (which unfortunately means clicking on it), I can block specific sites from advertising.

...I suddenly wonder why there was this really long time when Google was giving me straight ads for online dating rooms and slightly more intimate things. blink.gifunsure.gif

Thanks, though, I didn't know this.

You can even opt out of them altogether. Sorry, TJ, but....

I beleive opt out means it completly randomizes what you see, not remove them completly

I use flashblock when browsing the site. However lately I've been bombard by anti adblock blocking banners wheN I only have flashblock enabled. This made me angry and I have now enabled adblock on dragcave. If you want me to not use adblock, then don't have the anti ad banners for flashblock. Only non flash ads will get though. if google is really that smart they would have realized it by now and stopped sending me flash ads

I use flashblock when browsing the site. However lately I've been bombard by anti adblock blocking banners wheN I only have flashblock enabled. This made me angry and I have now enabled adblock on dragcave. If you want me to not use adblock, then don't have the anti ad banners for flashblock. Only non flash ads will get though. if google is really that smart they would have realized it by now and stopped sending me flash ads

I think the banners are just the background of the area the ad goes in, so it shows up for everybody, whether they use adblock or not. It's just that if they aren't blocking the ad, the ad covers the banner.

If they are like the ones I used to get they say things like "the kittens ask you not to block ads" and stuff ?

The ads help pay for the site, thus the anti add banners that are in place when you block them because you are thus preventing the site from getting the money it needs to remain active.

Yes. I'd rather chip in with the paypal....

Sadly many people cannot, thus the ads are the best sorce for places such as this.

Sorry, TJ, but I'd rather keep my puter safe by keeping ads AWAY. I got a rather nasty virus from an advertisement a couple of years ago (not on DC, thank goodness) and rather than have a repeat of that scenario I use Adblock.

Far as I know, Google ads don't have viruses but other ads that arn't google approved can. Such as the ads that line the side of facebook.

Far as I know, Google ads don't have viruses but other ads that arn't google approved can. Such as the ads that line the side of facebook.

Google ads have been infected - they do not screen them all unfortunately.. some slip through the cracks.

The ads help pay for the site, thus the anti add banners that are in place when you block them because you are thus preventing the site from getting the money it needs to remain active.

and if I wasn't accused of blocking ads when I was only using flashblock to block the animations from loading and slowing down my browser, then I wouldn't enable adblock.

I decided since I was being accused even if I allow them to go though, I might as well block it altogether. smile.gif Now I don't see the ads or the banner.

So take that and munch on it

Simple tradeoff: block ads, donate a few bucks to the site. Guilt-free. :3

Google ads have been infected - they do not screen them all unfortunately.. some slip through the cracks.

Exactly.

Simple tradeoff: block ads, donate a few bucks to the site. Guilt-free. :3

Exactly this too. I am not a HUGE donor, but as I NEVER click on an ad, I imagine what I do chip in with more than covers the cost of not looking at them !

Give our hatchings some more time before they die DX

And

Maybe...just maybe a video game?

Edited by Memy12ab

Hey, just saying:

If a person is warned, they should be allowed to tell other people that. Maybe not which mod warned them, but that they got warned. The warn is their own business, and they have a right to tell other people that.

Also, if someone's posts are being reviewed by mods before posting, they should be allowed to tell people that as well, especially if they are particularly active or important in a thread (an artist in DR, a thread mod in SD, etc.), so that the thread can know that they might react slowly to things.

Most the time when content is removed from people saying they were warned or on post mod or etc., it is times when they are trying to start drama and provoke angry reactions from people or have inadvertently started drama.