Khallayne

We want Forum Feedback!

Well there have been other problems with other mods in the past, but they've either grown up (for lack of a better word) or moved on.

Warns aren't the end of the world. There are no consequences with the first couple of warns. They are there to make you go "hey, maybe I should step back from this" or "oh, I didn't know, now I do" - to remind you of a rule you may not have realized or forgotten.

There may be consequences associated with certain warns, but they aren't meant as harsh punishments. They're meant as learning tools.

I guess we all have things to work on still. Mods letting a bit more slide and users trusting that they can come to mods with their problems and actually going to mods.

Oh, come on, Sock. You've been warned. You can't tell me that it didn't make you feel bad. This idea that they are "learning tools" is absolute hogwash. It does feel like punishment on some level. (I'm not talking about cursing and the like.) Oh, and I think it was noted that we were not mention warns in this thread so I hope I don't get a warn for replying to your answer about warns...

It would be nice to be able to go to the mods more often.

Warns can be pretty devastating, particularly where there's been a misunderstanding or where someone wasn't aware that rules differed in different areas they didn't normally frequent.

If feasible, rather than issuing an official warn, a simple note explaining the situation would actually be far more helpful in avoiding future repetition without creating more shock and embarrassment than would anyway exist.

Mods letting a bit more slide and users trusting that they can come to mods with their problems and actually going to mods.

I'd think that the former would help lead to more of the latter.

How can you know how something will happen if you've never tried it? I have removed several warns after discussing it with the user or other mods (the user being more often).

Warns aren't the end of the world. There are no consequences with the first couple of warns.

Well, the original situation was not my own, but the way Cinnamin Draconna got shut up repeatedly. (The deletion of my signature was just the last straw for me, so to speak.) Also, if what she says is true (and I have no way to check for it), she got a very hefty consequence for a warn level of merely 30% (which is no more than "the first couple of warns"): Each and every post of hers had to be approved by a mod before being publicly viewable. That's quite a lot of "no consequence".

If I had tried to discuss this with a mod, what would have happened? I'd have been told at once that it was none of my business, because it does not (directly) concern me, by each and every mod. After all, warns and consequences are to be a private matter, and I wasn't even supposed to know about it, much less ask questions. (Simple logic following the rules you enforce.) So the only way I saw out of it was to get public attention to the matter.

/me raises hand

I am a mod, I am NOT a forum mod. People who have dealt with me in the past generally walk away knowing I'm doing my best. If you DONT want to go to the mod you were dealing with, if you dont want to deal with a forum mod, then I really dont mind if you come to me. Poke me here by pm, in the irc or wherever else I have listed in my profile (I should update that...). Even the few people I have had spats with in the past are welcome to come talk to me, I'm happy to try and help where I can.

I feel like I have so many things to say, I apologize in advance if this goes long. I also apologize if some of what follows should have been put in the other thread. And, of course, everything that follows is only my opinion, and some or all may be incorrect.

ON VAMPIRES AND BREEDING: When 20-30 of the members started posting that they had tried biting with all their Vampires and gotten nothing but death, and asked what had happened, and gotten only the answer "nothing is wrong" they were left with the feeling that:

1. The situation hadn't been really checked,

2. Their concerns weren't taken seriously,

3. They were being ignored.

This engendered further anxiety which escalated into anger and frustration. If the answer had been "There is nothing wrong, the present population of Vampires is causing this", if indeed that is the answer, they would have responded better. The same goes for all the questions on breeding. When we see such, from our viewpoint drastic changes in our experience, we are curious and want real answers.

ON WARNS: In my work place there is a "Warn" system which starts with "Verbal Warns" which are considered to be of lesser severity than "Written Warns". Unfortunately, "Verbal Warns" to be properly documented have to be delivered in a written form. I see the first level warns here in this light, they are less severe, but have to be documented so that the mods can see action was taken. Certainly any warn causes upset and hard feelings at first, but we do learn from them. Because, in work, a warn is delivered face to face, you do get a chance to voice your objections, reasoning or whatever to the person giving the warn. Here to do that you have to do so by pm. That doesn't seem so difficult to me as it seems to to some others, but as has been noted, you can always discuss it with another mod, to get your side aired.

ON CENSORING: I did not see the removal of the postings on the breeding question from TLQ as censoring. We had been told to take the discussion to other, more appropriate threads, and to discontinue the discussion continuing in TLQ and disrupting that thread, those posts were removed. It seemed appropriate to me. As far as CDs moderated posts, I have seen that when someone's language gets out of hand or their anger gets the better of them. Certainly, it is unfortunate, but in a PG thread, it doesn't seem outrageous, unless a lot of her posts were entirely withheld, which is something I don't know.

ON OUR BEING TOLD RATIOS AND DRAGON POPULATIONS: While I would like to be told when ratios are causing problems like those pointed out above, I don't think we need to know the populations of dragon types. If we know that Canopies are over populated one week, we could try all of our rare breedings with Canopies in the expectation of getting rare eggs if we get anything. Not sure that would be a good idea. It could cause skewing of the numbers in other directions, and take away some of the challenge of the game.

This thread was opened to give us a chance to air our views and improve the forums by creating a better understanding between users and moderators. It is both unfortunate and a good learning experience for both sides that this problem came up while this was going on. It detracts from some of the good that was in process, but it also gives everyone a chance to see what goes on from both sides when there is a total breakdown, and everyone can learn how to better respond from both sides of a problem.

OK, I'm done with my soapbox.

*bangs head on wall*

Which part of this dowsn't work have you guys been missing? Taking a serious disagreement to the person you ahve a problem with gets you precisely no where. If this were my work place I would not take a serious problem I had with a particular manager to the manager in question - I would talk to a different one. If this happened in a club I belonged to I would not take the issue to the person I had it with - I would take it to the committee.

Believe it or not the fact that you guys are human means that taking a dispute to the person you are upset with will only cause an argument and/or bad feeling on the part of the user.

We need to be able to take problems with specific mods ti different mods.

And, really guys, you asked for feedback. Editing out my post because you don't like my saying that one specific mod is actualy the problem here kinda implies that there are some things you just don't want to hear.

So I won't mention a name. You all know damned well who it is now: there is one specific mod in GD that is causing the majority of the unhappiness among users in GD. Sorting that one mod out might be an idea.

Then go directly to me.

I know there's probably a general belief that I won't do anything, but no one ever even tries.

The forums I originally came from did public verbal warnings (example: If a subject came up that was causing drama or causing spam on the thread, the comment that started it would be erased if needed, and there would be a comment edited right into their comment that said "Verbal Warning, this post is considered spam. Further posting on this thread will result in official warns". they would also edit the last comment to say something like Any comments after this point regarding this subject will be warned. And they did warn.. a lot. They were perfectly fair about it, but whenever i try to suggest that, people say they dont want it, it would be embarrassing.

I still think its a good idea for the mods to verbally warn inappropriate posts by commenting on the post directly for the minor things. Something along the lines of "any spam/off topicness/whatever beyond this comment will be warned for" or whatever the verbal warning might be a good heads up, without being offensive, personal or anything else. It lets others know that they shouldnt continue the same action.. or at least, to go about it differently.

In regards to the being mentioned publically thing: Personally I would prefer that a user who has a problem with something i did to come to me in private. I'm always happen to listen to the full story and if i have to I'll apologise and reverse whatever i did, when possible. If the person isnt satisfied after talking to me directly, then by all means, quote me and get someone else to look into it.

My college had a section in the school newspaper they titled as the "Police Blotter" that related incidents within the past week that happened on campus. Nobody was mentioned by name, but it made things very clear what happened and what was being done about it. Perhaps something generic like that?

A few examples of the sorts of things that would appear:

Party involving minors with alcohol was raided on Wednesday night. Campus police are investigating.

Student caught stealing purses in the main cafeteria during dinner on Wednesday. This is a repeat offense. The student has been expelled.

Student rushed to emergency room Saturday night for alcohol poisoning. Campus police are investigating.

Unidentified non-student reported harassing female students at campus train station Sunday morning. Matter forwarded to local police.

Edited by SolarCat

Then go directly to me.

I'm quite confused. If you have a problem with a forum's moderator, isn't this the first thing you guys should do? If you ask me, it's fairly common sense to see that if a moderator isn't behaving the way you think a moderator should behave, then you go to the head of them all. Since TJ, as administrator, makes the final decision on who becomes a mod and who doesn't in the first place.

And if you try and he doesn't respond? Why not try a global? They are the chiefs of police of the forum, so to speak. Of course they'd poke the mod in question if they're doing something you guys feel is wrong. Or take it to TJ if they feel they should, since I'm assuming they have a more direct access to him.

I just don't see why this seems to be confusing some people. Calling a specific mod out in public just leads to drama and hurts feelings. =/

(Edited for that oooone typo :V)

Edited by Alpha Gryph

I'm coming into this a little late, and I can see that a lot of controversial stuff has been said between my post and what I'm going to respond to, but...

I do tend to agree that the completely silent warns and post removals are a little less than helpful. I much prefer seeing mods edit posts saying "eggspam removed" or something similar. I know a mod from another forum, and the mods there edit posts all the time. Not only is it sort of a "shaming" mechanism, to dissuade the user from breaking the rules again, it's also helpful to others who see it and think "oh, that's an example of what I shouldn't do." Especially with the different rules for different sections and subsections. Of course, yes, we ought to know the rules anyway, but it's still nice to actually see moderation happening, rather than only seeing it when mods come into a thread to warn the whole thread, when the bad posts have been deleted and you're thinking "who's being rude?"

Edited by FireAngel73

Then go directly to me.

I know there's probably a general belief that I won't do anything, but no one ever even tries.

Sorry, just wanted to say something about this....

I think this is a great idea and very logical BUT....

You chose your mods, with the help of others yes, but you put your faith in them and I am sure you stand behind them.

I know of a situation where a mod is now favourites with friends and has compromised her position yet the admin will not take action.

It is hard to know if you would be on the level (not saying you wouldn't), but you can understand.....these are the people you have chosen to represent the forums wink.gif

Murder has the right idea actually.

add that and

options for a darker skin and it might make some people's day

I second this

YES. A darker skin would make the forums a bit less painful to look at when I have a headache, and just in general. +support

Spoiler tags, amazing things, I love using spoiler tags, they are amazing for organizing posts, and even better for making them smaller. +support

*bangs head on wall*

Which part of this dowsn't work have you guys been missing? Taking a serious disagreement to the person you ahve a problem with gets you precisely no where. If this were my work place I would not take a serious problem I had with a particular manager to the manager in question - I would talk to a different one. If this happened in a club I belonged to I would not take the issue to the person I had it with - I would take it to the committee.

Believe it or not the fact that you guys are human means that taking a dispute to the person you are upset with will only cause an argument and/or bad feeling on the part of the user.

We need to be able to take problems with specific mods ti different mods.

And, really guys, you asked for feedback. Editing out my post because you don't like my saying that one specific mod is actualy the problem here kinda implies that there are some things you just don't want to hear.

So I won't mention a name. You all know damned well who it is now: there is one specific mod in GD that is causing the majority of the unhappiness among users in GD. Sorting that one mod out might be an idea.

Sock has stated several times that she's removed warns when a user talks to her and explains the situation.

And again, what exactly is stopping you from talking to a different section mod or a global?

Also, there's a difference between giving feedback and calling people out. I would talk to TJ if you feel someone is abusing their power/whatnot.

I will has a sad if it's me.

Sock has stated several times that she's removed warns when a user talks to her and explains the situation.

And again, what exactly is stopping you from talking to a different section mod or a global?

Also, there's a difference between giving feedback and calling people out. I would talk to TJ if you feel someone is abusing their power/whatnot.

*Snugs* You has been reasonable.

On a different note,

options for a darker skin

Get a tan, yo THISTHISTHIS

Edited by RheaZen

I feel like I have so many things to say, I apologize in advance if this goes long. I also apologize if some of what follows should have been put in the other thread. And, of course, everything that follows is only my opinion, and some or all may be incorrect.

ON VAMPIRES AND BREEDING: When 20-30 of the members started posting that they had tried biting with all their Vampires and gotten nothing but death, and asked what had happened, and gotten only the answer "nothing is wrong" they were left with the feeling that:

1. The situation hadn't been really checked,

2. Their concerns weren't taken seriously,

3. They were being ignored.

This engendered further anxiety which escalated into anger and frustration. If the answer had been "There is nothing wrong, the present population of Vampires is causing this", if indeed that is the answer, they would have responded better. The same goes for all the questions on breeding. When we see such, from our viewpoint drastic changes in our experience, we are curious and want real answers.

ON WARNS: In my work place there is a "Warn" system which starts with "Verbal Warns" which are considered to be of lesser severity than "Written Warns". Unfortunately, "Verbal Warns" to be properly documented have to be delivered in a written form. I see the first level warns here in this light, they are less severe, but have to be documented so that the mods can see action was taken. Certainly any warn causes upset and hard feelings at first, but we do learn from them. Because, in work, a warn is delivered face to face, you do get a chance to voice your objections, reasoning or whatever to the person giving the warn. Here to do that you have to do so by pm. That doesn't seem so difficult to me as it seems to to some others, but as has been noted, you can always discuss it with another mod, to get your side aired.

ON CENSORING: I did not see the removal of the postings on the breeding question from TLQ as censoring. We had been told to take the discussion to other, more appropriate threads, and to discontinue the discussion continuing in TLQ and disrupting that thread, those posts were removed. It seemed appropriate to me. As far as CDs moderated posts, I have seen that when someone's language gets out of hand or their anger gets the better of them. Certainly, it is unfortunate, but in a PG thread, it doesn't seem outrageous, unless a lot of her posts were entirely withheld, which is something I don't know.

ON OUR BEING TOLD RATIOS AND DRAGON POPULATIONS: While I would like to be told when ratios are causing problems like those pointed out above, I don't think we need to know the populations of dragon types. If we know that Canopies are over populated one week, we could try all of our rare breedings with Canopies in the expectation of getting rare eggs if we get anything. Not sure that would be a good idea. It could cause skewing of the numbers in other directions, and take away some of the challenge of the game.

This thread was opened to give us a chance to air our views and improve the forums by creating a better understanding between users and moderators. It is both unfortunate and a good learning experience for both sides that this problem came up while this was going on. It detracts from some of the good that was in process, but it also gives everyone a chance to see what goes on from both sides when there is a total breakdown, and everyone can learn how to better respond from both sides of a problem.

OK, I'm done with my soapbox.

raindear sums up my feeling pretty well. I know I have read that some are hesitant to post for fear of getting warns. My fear is not the mods, I feel if I get a warn it is because I broke a rule. I fear more some of the other players. I have seen people jumped on and yelled at. So I am always hesitant to post, because it seems if you don't agree with certain people, you get attacked.

Largely the fact that, every time any of us has mentioned that we might have a problem with a Mod, we're always told to PM the mod in question. It seems to be the default response. I'd be extremely happy if I was told I *could* PM a different Mod, and actualy have that Mod take my concerns seriously rather than just turning me around and sending me back to the person that was a problem in the first place.

And no, hun, we're not complaining about you *hugs*

Largely the fact that, every time any of us has mentioned that we might have a problem with a Mod, we're always told to PM the mod in question. It seems to be the default response. I'd be extremely happy if I was told I *could* PM a different Mod, and actualy have that Mod take my concerns seriously rather than just turning me around and sending me back to the person that was a problem in the first place.

I had someone PM me to remove a warn given by a different mod, and my initial reaction was confusion because I didn't know the context of the warn until I looked at the warn meter, and even then I referred them back to the mod in question because it's what I was supposed to do.... I think maybe that might be a problem too; the mod who warned you is one of few might really know why you got a certain warn. Maybe that's just me, but eh.

I do agree with you, though, sometimes a second opinion is great, and I wouldn't mind reviewing a warn someone else gave.

I know that I have been reported to other mods a few times. Usually they will ask me what the story was on whatever i was reported for (chat logs and such are nice). If I was in the wrong, they tell me. If i was really wrong i get chewed out. When mods are reported to me, i get the full story as best i can, and try to work something out. Mods arent really as scary as we are made out to be. tongue.gif

I know that I have been reported to other mods a few times. Usually they will ask me what the story was on whatever i was reported for (chat logs and such are nice). If I was in the wrong, they tell me. If i was really wrong i get chewed out. When mods are reported to me, i get the full story as best i can, and try to work something out. Mods arent really as scary as we are made out to be. tongue.gif

Your colorful names make you seem like you might be poisonous, though D:

Your colorful names make you seem like you might be poisonous, though D:

Yea, I was shocked when I got a color. They do tend to cause some pretty little rainbows when enough of us are looking at a page... so theres a minor comfort.

In regards to the second opinion thing: I have a tendency to ask other mods if they think something should be warned for or not. I know I have been asked for my opinion on things a few times. I see no reason why you cant ask another mod to look at something for you. If they feel differently about it, they will bring in another one and figure out what the best course of action is. Second opinions are perfectly ok. I find it amusing when users point out something i did wrong. Its nice being forced from time to time to see things in a different perspective.

Yea, I was shocked when I got a color. They do tend to cause some pretty little rainbows when enough of us are looking at a page... so theres a minor comfort.

In regards to the second opinion thing: I have a tendency to ask other mods if they think something should be warned for or not. I know I have been asked for my opinion on things a few times. I see no reason why you cant ask another mod to look at something for you. If they feel differently about it, they will bring in another one and figure out what the best course of action is. Second opinions are perfectly ok. I find it amusing when users point out something i did wrong. Its nice being forced from time to time to see things in a different perspective.

Hehehe this so much.

Yeah, I think telling them to take it to the one who originally warned you is the default, probably because they'd be the ones who know the most about why the warn was given. I don't know why you couldn't talk to someone else if you still want to contest it. Plus, I would at least want to be brought in to a conversation about a warn I gave out. It would come off as insulting if I take an action and then it's reversed or removed or nulled by another mod with no word to me (it actually has happened once, and I was annoyed).

Edited by NixAyum

Well, the original situation was not my own, but the way Cinnamin Draconna got shut up repeatedly. (The deletion of my signature was just the last straw for me, so to speak.) Also, if what she says is true (and I have no way to check for it), she got a very hefty consequence for a warn level of merely 30% (which is no more than "the first couple of warns"): Each and every post of hers had to be approved by a mod before being publicly viewable. That's quite a lot of "no consequence".

If I had tried to discuss this with a mod, what would have happened? I'd have been told at once that it was none of my business, because it does not (directly) concern me, by each and every mod. After all, warns and consequences are to be a private matter, and I wasn't even supposed to know about it, much less ask questions. (Simple logic following the rules you enforce.) So the only way I saw out of it was to get public attention to the matter.

That happen to me with my first and only warning when I was rude to a troll even though I didn't mean to come off as being rude. I felt that being put on moderated status was sever for a first offense. From my experience I'm inclined to believe Cinnamon and I feel for her.

I really think that the warning system could do with some tweaking and like Syphoneira's suggestion about a PM being sent as a heads up before a warning is given. That might limit the potential for any bad blood.

Since we're discussing mods anyway...

In the past I've seen a mod breaking several rules and complained about it to several other mods. The only answer I was ever given was "we're not going to discuss it".

This being after the mod in question exploded in not one but two threads, one of which was a news thread, raging like a rabid hellhound, complete with caps and veiled insults. I would've thought that grounds for immediate expulsion from the moderation team but no, she remained for some time after that up until she vanished for reasons unknown, and as far as I know was never completely demodded.

This of course happened over a year ago, and during that time a lot of very positive changes (from my perspective) have happened to the modding team. Years ago, it seemed the colourful names just gave people certain people license to piss people off in discussions using "I'M A MOD THEREFORE YOU'RE ALL WRONG" while everyone else was asleep at the wheel. In the prefog times I saw one mod in particular getting into flamewars against Dovealove over spriting styles. I had to wonder, since I could count the number of moderators on one hand and one of the mods was doing that, was there any moderation going on at all? Small wonder the forum turned into a hostile environment, in the early times it was viciousness or death.

I'm very glad for the more active (or at least more visible!) moderation going on now even though it involves clamping down on some of the oneshot offhand offtopic stuff. To be honest it's late and they have to break the bad habits that have been allowed to form and fester here as a result of darker times.

Edited by Lythiaren

I can't say anything about discussing warns because I've never been warned.

I will say though that this forum has a horrible history of drama, hostility and oppression. When I started reading (which was some time before I joined) there was only one single mod who was actually doing any modding in a way that deserved the name. There was a petition about demodding another mod because they'd said a couple things they maybe should've thought about first, while other mods were so completely out of line that I didn't believe my eyes and no one said anything. Dragon Requests was terrifying because the place was closed and spriters were fighting over the projects. Like really. When I naively asked questions, I received pms that started with "Do not tell anybody I pmed you!" followed by "Do not ever ask those questions again in public or your scroll will be burned!". Of course, one day 'don't ask don't tell' was gone and had supposedly never even existed. Hm. Although in general the users weren't any better. Can I just say Valentine '09?

I admit I feel slightly queasy having typed all of this because I'm a tad afraid of people jumping down my throat for 'trying to cause drama by stirring it all up again' although I did my best to be polite and avoid names or even gender or a precise space of time. That's exactly my point though.

I will say that it is a double-edged sword and I can see both sides. The users still feel like they're oppressed and the mods (and the users) know from painful experience where it can lead on here and (rightly so) want to nip it in the bud. The problem is to find a balance. Isn't it always, I know. If things are stopped and closed too early, it feels like being suffocated for the users and they will get even more angry and that will lead to even more drama than there might have been originally.

But the mods have got to make those decisions, that is their job. And I have to say, I find they're doing a great job at the moment. If I'm in a thread where we're told to cool of, it's usually necessary. If a thread is closed that people aren't done with, there's usually another one linked or a "TJ said this is so, no use discussing" statement at the end. And the latter is not the mod's fault. Rude remarks in response to mistakes or questions only come from other users anymore, not from mods. GD doesn't feel so clique-ish anymore and the amount of posts that go like "I don't want to offend anyone, but !"§$snideremarks%&/()=? but I'm really just debating, don't warn me" has decreased significantly. Every mod I've ever pm'ed with a problem has been nothing but helpful and friendly. Some users seem to feel like mods are actually doing too much modding. I can only say, I do not feel that way. It's mainly GD and I feel a lot more comfortable there now and I hated it before.

(disclaimer: I have absolutely no idea which GD mod was being discussed earlier and what the issue is, nor do I want to know. All of the above is of course my personal experience and I can only talk about my own impressions. There are also sections of the forum I never go to and can't say anything about.)

What I think what the real problem is, is the lack of communication from TJ. And the mods get the backlash of that because they actually are available. It's not their fault nor can they do anything against it. I pm'ed a mod recently because a thread with unanswered questions had poofed and they said they'd actually like to know, too, where it went.

Don't get me wrong. TJ takes a lot of abuse in stride and if he worried about everything that people say, he'd go insane. He'd also have no life anymore if he replied to every thread and every post that his reply resulted in. When my scroll was hacked and I begged TJ to take the awful name off of my very first Gold, he did immediately (oh man, I feel old, no renaming xd.png ).

But going to a 20+ pages thread of confused and miffed people, and essentially telling them "you're imagining things" or ignoring a 50+ pages thread for weeks that has "TJ we really need your opinion" in the subtitle or, a favourite of mine xd.png , he actually replies but cleverly avoids adressing the subject people wanted to talk to him about in the first place... that is not very helpful. If 'don't ask, don't tell' never existed, yet was very obviously enforced, why did he wait ages to tell us? What is wrong with a quick post that says "There is a freezing limit now" or "Earthquake kills count now"? If we tell everyone who asks that vampire ratios are 50/25/25, why does he wait a year to tell us we're wrong and he never said that? There is a News thread full of crazy and I mean crazy rumours, people are at each other's throats it's not funny anymore and he could end it all with one sentence, yet for some bizarre reason he doesn't... He isn't doing himself a favour this way.

Most of the time people only want to hear "I made it so, it's necessary, I think it's best, it's staying that way, deal with it". "Nothing is wrong" is not the same. I certainly don't want to cheat or reverse engineer or something.

I feel a bit uncertain about this post, while I avoided names as good as I could, it went downhil the moment I mentioned TJ, I know. But TJ is the most important person on this forum, what he does or doesn't do affects everyone.

And I'm actually glad a mod will have to make the decision if this post is appropriate or not, not me wink.gif

edit: oh God, I really wondered for a while why 'absolutely' was suddenly censored ninja.gif

Edited by blah