Ninetails

Unusual food combinations/Stange foods you eat

I'm a huge fan of weird food combinations- Sea-salt on ice-cream, eggs with spicy salsa, chocolate chip cookies dipped in nacho cheese...

And just today, I made a quesidilla (I think that's how it's spelled), put barbeque sauce on it, and rolled it up like a burrito. It was delicious.

My sister actually started asking how on earth I could eat it, before trying it herself... and she liked it. Then my brother had a bite too, and he loved it.

I'm a huge fan of weird food combinations- Sea-salt on ice-cream, eggs with spicy salsa, chocolate chip cookies dipped in nacho cheese...

And just today, I made a quesidilla (I think that's how it's spelled), put barbeque sauce on it, and rolled it up like a burrito. It was delicious.

My sister actually started asking how on earth I could eat it, before trying it herself... and she liked it. Then my brother had a bite too, and he loved it.

I can understand sea salt and ice cream and eggs and salsa. Salty and sweet is a common theme for many different foods, particularly desserts (salted caramel, for example). Eggs with ketchup or tomatoes in general, maybe even something like pico de gallo is a common combination as well (breakfast tacos, omelets, etc). The cookies in cheese is definitely something I would personally consider weird, but it also sounds really tasty!

I think I've seen something like barbecue quesadillas before (usually barbecue chicken, as quesadillas at their most basic form are just tortillas with melted cheese in the middle)! It doesn't sound too outlandish, either, but really yummy actually. :P

What are haggis?

Not are. Is. Haggis is singular.

Haggis is a Scottish meat dish. From what I understand, it's sort of like meatloaf, as it's comprised of ground up meat and oats, though it traditionally uses sheep heart, liver, and lungs, as opposed to the usual ground beef or whatever that meatloaf uses. It's also prepared differently.

Most people probably get turned off from the fact that it uses the organs. Actually, tradition haggis that uses sheep lung is illegal in the US because sheep lung is considered an "inedible product", and we can't get imports of lamb (and beef) products from the UK anyway because of the BSE (mad cow disease) crisis. So, if someone in the US wants haggis they have to make do with substitutes of some sort, or at least have haggis that doesn't use sheep lung.

I haven't had it, myself, but as it seems pretty much basically like sausage or meatloaf anyway, it sounds pretty delicious to me.

I've had live lobster sashimi once. I thought it was pretty good, but a lot of people might disagree! *cue grossing out everybody*

Yup, like Sci said, haggis is sheep's organs mixed with oats and whiskey. I served it to my friends once and while some agree it's really delicious, most just keep thinking about the fact it's organs, so they'll have a tiny bite and then say it's gross haha.

We just buy haggis off amazon uk, the cans are pretty good!

Lobster sashimi sounds good! I don't see how raw fish and raw lobster differ that much in texture. I should try it sometime, though it sounds so expensive!

I like experimenting with tomato sauce with different foods. TS with chocolate is alright, never try it with ice-cream cake or lemonade. I find it surprisingly nice with carrots but I don't know if you guys would like it sleep.gif

Today I tried Escamole which is ant larvae harvested from the roots of the agave plant. My dad forced me to try it when I was at one of his work parties, there were all sorts of weird food there but the ant larvae tasted surprisingly nice, although I wouldn't try it again.

I've had live lobster sashimi once. I thought it was pretty good, but a lot of people might disagree! *cue grossing out everybody*

I had raw shrimp sushi recently and it was good- basically just milder-tasting shrimp with a slightly gooey texture.

They also fried the heads and I ate that too because why not.

I had raw shrimp sushi recently and it was good- basically just milder-tasting shrimp with a slightly gooey texture.

They also fried the heads and I ate that too because why not.

Now I feel weird. I eat often those raw "sweet shrimp" and one of my sashimi/sushi favorites is (raw) sea urchin. Never thought of those as unusual but I guess that, for the majority, they are. I tend to try everything at least once, including fried insects. So far I tried cicadas, grasshoppers and termites. Not willing to have daily meals with those but they weren't half bad.

Heheh, I'm chinese. Two plus two equals four.

Chicken feet are really nice. Eel sushi, various tongues, 'wood ear' (it's this fungus that is ridiculously good if cooked right), like every single fish ever, frogs... various offal items... I've tried baboon brains once, they tasted like ramen..

I also use a ridiculous amount of mayonnaise everywhere where people would use ketchup or mustard.

ETA: Oh, I've also tried haggis (sheep 'pluck', which is the heart and lung, onion, and some spices), which is awesome. Same with blood pudding, blood sausage, horse blood... :I ... and food that was set on fire for serving. Puddings and such. Oh, and raw meat sushi.

Edited by Jumbofluff

Why on earth would you put a living animal through the agony of being EATEN ALIVE?

Ahem... Oysters. I think they are technically fish but WHATEVER. huh.gifblink.gifunsure.gif

Oh yes, chicken feet are yummy...

Oysters are eaten alive? I didn't know that...

Suckling pigs are tasty too! And also beef kidneys:) wow I like stuff that the rest of the country (USA) won't eat. I am one of the only Americans who will eat stuff so weird that it is considered odd in the country it came from!

I tried frog's legs! In certain areas I'm sure it's rather common, but it was a fun test for me and my mother!

And you know what? It actually tasted really good! Like a cross between chicken (taste) and fish (texture).

The weirdest thing that I LOVE to eat but most people think is gross is battered and deep-fried beef brain.

I also eat beef intestine (tripe) - my mom makes a curry with it, and living along the US-Mexican border now I get it in Menudo. Smells horrible while cooking but quite nice if cooked right.

I've had alligator, which is kind of like a combination of chicken and fish.

I adore sushi, so I have eaten eel and sea urchin in that form.

I really want to try Haggis sometime. I read about it in a book and have wanted to try it for the longest time.

I ate mopani worms once or twice... I don't know how some people like. I kinda freak out cause it's a worm.

The bird or the fruit?

the fruit omg. idk where i would get the bird to eat here

I'm Chinese, so lots of the food I enjoy seem unusual or strange in the US where I currently live. I guess even by Chinese standards, I'm a bit strange with my enjoyment of black vinegar. I could literally drink the stuff. It has an intense flavor I enjoy a lot and have always enjoyed since I was young.

Stuff that the US or more western-world would consider weird consist of things like turtle, pig's ear, chicken feet, a variety of raw fish, jellyfish, certain fungi, prawn heads, etc.

now i personally dont find it weird but one time i had takoyaki with my mom and this was the first time she had seen it and she got really freaked out by the bonito flakes on it (the heat from the food makes em wiggle)

i explained but she still thinks it's weird to eat it haha

Edited by Switch

....Uncooked pasta

I don't know why,I just love the crunchy sensation and the "flavour".I have done this since I was on kindergarten,and have never stopped with it.I just like it.

Edited by HorseChick