Ninetails

Unusual food combinations/Stange foods you eat

I can't get used to eating tuna salad with mayonnaise in it so I make it with cilantro, chopped celery, grated carrot, lemon juice, chopped cucumber, salsa,  and hot sauce. I like it but most people think it is gross and strange and won't even try it.

White bread with spicy ketchup.

Regular sweet ketchup works too, but I like the spicy one the most.

My family is pretty grossed out by it, but it's honestly not bad.

I come from Russia, so there is a very high possibility that almost all of the food I eat will be unusual and strange.

But there also are some things I can eat that even my housefolks think are too much...

For example, my favourite sause is literally plain plombieres (a type of French ice cream), and I combine it with almost every type of fastfood, such as:

• cheese flavoured Cheetos
  • french fries
  • potato wedges
  • Chicken McNuggets
  • KFC chicken stripes

Just like the feeling of combining extra hot and extra cold things together, although it often makes me wanna cough c;

As for the other strange dishes, I like my food roasted. Very roasted. I like roasted 'spaghetti' (if there are any Italians, sorry not sorry) and other types of pasta combined with the peas and fried eggs. I also fry my rice and buckwheat (I boil the grain firstly, but I don't like it that way, so I have to cook it again on the frying pan) together with chicken, and sometimes eat that with ketchup. To scare you completely, I love making sandwiches with dark bread and sprats (though it's a common situation here in Russia), and sometimes I even take out vegetables from my soup to also put it on top of a bread slice! 'They think I'm crazy but they don't know the feeling...'

Hey there! I am from Russia too.

How about adding mayonnaise to the roasted spaghetti thing, before roasting, I mean? To make something like a coating for them. Not a joke.. 

Also buckwheat with milk and salt, to make it shomething like a salty soup. Btw, I heard that some Russians prefer to use sugar instead of salt, but I am not that crazy :D

On 4/25/2020 at 3:09 AM, subwoofer said:

White bread with spicy ketchup.

Regular sweet ketchup works too, but I like the spicy one the most.

My family is pretty grossed out by it, but it's honestly not bad.

When there is nothing else, I do use tomato paste on plain white toast sometimes. I think tomato paste is delicious.

Have I already replied here? Eh.

I'm not so keen on some of the wilder flavor combinations. but I will literally eat anything. Raw fish, raw eggs, bugs, you name it. I even require my burgers to be barely legal. My chihuahua and all the neighborhood cats think I'm crazy. I used to watch Bourdain and Zimmern while eating because the weird stuff makes me the hungriest. However, I do draw the line at animals traditionally considered pets. I don't have any desire to eat them. Also spiders. Blegh. Is it cognitive dissonance? Probably. But I'm okay with it. While I'm not a furry or otherkin, I do consider myself as having the soul of a wild wolf or dog trapped in a human's body. Canines are my spirit animals. I'm proud to have the appetite of one.

Idk if this counts as strange but I eat bread with ketchup. Just plain dinner roll or white bread, then I dip it into some ketchup. 

I like my pizza with little to no cheese, and extra sauce. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll add spinach as a topping or something.

I also love my share of fruits- Durian, longan, passionfruit,  persimmon, all 3 dragonfruits,  jackfruit- deeeelicious 

Mayonnaise on hot dogs.  Grosses people out for some reason.

Edited by prpldrgnfr

On 8/3/2020 at 12:33 PM, prpldrgnfr said:

Mayonnaise on hot dogs.  Grosses people out for some reason.

Seems normal to me.

Kroger balsamic vinegar & basil salad dressing on sweet potato fries.

Dipping chicken strips in hot nacho cheese. Melting pepperjack cheese over meatloaf. Dunking quesadillas in hot nacho cheese. .... Just basically adding melted/liquid cheese to everything.

I've been putting ketchup in spaghetti sauce for a while now and it's really good actually. I also used to dip plain white bread in cola as a kid, not sure why but I liked it I guess

One of my odd food combinations is Tuna + Doritos. I like it a lot and still eat it frequently from time to time. A comfort food if you will

I like spicy giardiniera on nachos and pizza. people think it’s weird but really it’s no different than pickled jalapeños on nachos and pizza. 

At work I put peanut butter and rose petal jelly on an onion bagel and everyone was grossed out.  I have it home like that all the time.  It really has a sensational taste but no one else would even try it.  

When I was 11, I spent a summer happily eating MilkBones Flavour Snacks, the ones with the different colours. I could tell the colour by the flavour. Now I look back on that and wonder what on Earth I was thinking. XD

Edited by Lagie
Grammar

I like to frequently snack on roasted crickets and grasshoppers, which most people seem to think is gross. They're pretty good, especially when marinated in adobo, chili powder, or lemon salt. I also make silkworm pupa salad and eat it on toast as a breakfast sometimes.

Another thing my coworkers think is gross is that I routinely eat various hearts, offal stew, liver, and tripe. When I was a kid, my mom would make chicken feet, neck and gizzard stew as well and, on my first successful hunt when I was 11, my dad and my uncles shared their love of raw turkey heart with me. I just wish it was easier to find a butcher willing to sell certain organ meats in the area I live in now...

I'm a big fan of offal meats, which aren't very popular among North America, but are common in other parts of the world. Also a big supporter of entomophagy (the consumption of insects). For a large part of my life, ive been keen to try as much unique food as i can, especially niche cultural foods that are commonly unavailable, some of which would be strange to western palates. I was also reading into my heritage (was adopted from Anhui province) and learned that the people from that area like to gather all sorts of ingredients for their cuisine, which includes all sorts of food that sounds very exotic. Things such as smelly mandarin fish and soft shell turtle soup. Not exactly what most westerners would consider appetizing, but I really, really want to try them.