Ninetails

Unusual food combinations/Stange foods you eat

When I first eat lasanga, I felt it very strange. It's not common food here. But it's one of my favorites now.

Nutella + pancakes.

I heard that combination a couple of times. Never tried it though, probably should some time.

Nutella + Honey sandwiches are nice too.

Blood Pudding with Applesauce is great, but not really weird.

I have had cactus juice, kind of refreshing, and dried spiced calamari. (Or cuttlefish/squid, whatever) I particularly love Indian food for the exotic spices.

I've eaten a variety of weird things in my day. Goats milk while eating sushi is good, especially when you get it with a fatty fish.

I have eaten octopus sashmi and I have to say, the octopus piece should be small enough to fit in your mouth and it should come from the tentacle. Other wise its bitter or hard to chew off.

I love hummus and babagunish(made with roasted eggplant and garlic) and will eat it on sandwhichs. My favorite so far is made with two slices of garlic pepper jack cheese on each slice of bread, a tomato, honey roasted turkey, hummus or babagunish, and some aole (a sauce made with olive oil, mayonase, basil leaf and pine nuts. Also extra garlic).

For breakfast I love locs(cold smoked salmon) with mascurpone cheese. This is especially go on an everything bagel, with tomatos, avacado, capers and sometimes lettuce (esspecially a dark or bitter lettuce or a dark green like spinach)

Milkshakes - with bananas in them. When making a milkshake I ALWAYS put a banana in, regardless of the flavor of ice cream. Chocolate? Banana. Cookie dough? Banana. Mint? BANANA.

Probably, the weirdest things I eat are cow tongues, chicken hearts and cow's liver.

It's not a food *I* like, but my mother loves to eat peanut butter and Miracle Whip (it has to be Miracle Whip, not regular mayo) together on a sandwich. Her aunt used to as well.

Edited by hetshepsit

*looks around*

I'm Chinese, and I like chicken gizzards and liver and stuff. It's better than it sounds!

Edited by Techno_Elf

*starts counting*

Seafood/fish/etc

Squid

Octopus

Anglerfish (ugly but tasty)

Atlantic catfish

Crayfish

Flounder, Turbot, European plaice

Whiting

Roach (it's a fish, not an actual roach)

Pollack

Arctic char

Common sole

Carp bream

Rainbow trout

Common carp

Northern pike

Grayling

European perch

Swordfish

Scampi (Italian giant prawns)

Mussels (I can eat canned ones just like that~)

Shark fin soup

Meat

Trippa alla fiorentina (tripe stew - a.k.a. cow's stomach. Tastes like heaven~)

Reindeer

Horse

Bear

Moose

Hare

Birds

Grouse

Pheasant

Others

Snails (escargot are snails cooked in their shells, with garlic and parsley butter. They're GOOOOOOD.)

Blood pancakes (it's a Finnish thing)

Pea soup (yeees, I loves it~)

Borscht

Mushrooms (I can eat canned champignon mushrooms straight from the can)

...Oh, and dragon blood. That's an inside joke between me and my friend - she got me two bottles of diet Pepsi for my 18th birthday, glued images of dragons on them and then added a white strip that read "dragon blood". xd.png I still have the bottles~

PS. And yes, I love trying out weird foods. I had to try trippa alla fiorentina when my mom and I visited Florence. ...Fell in love with the stuff, now I kind of want to eat that again (and I need to try Finnish myky soup, good lord... a soup with balls of blood).

PPS. I've actually filleted a whole salmon once. My dad said I actually pulled it off better than a few pro chefs in Top Chef did. xd.png

I've eaten a variety of weird things in my day. Goats milk while eating sushi is good, especially when you get it with a fatty fish.

I have eaten octopus sashmi and I have to say, the octopus piece should be small enough to fit in your mouth and it should come from the tentacle. Other wise its bitter or hard to chew off.

I love hummus and babagunish(made with roasted eggplant and garlic) and will eat it on sandwhichs. My favorite so far is made with two slices of garlic pepper jack cheese on each slice of bread, a tomato, honey roasted turkey, hummus or babagunish, and some aole (a sauce made with olive oil, mayonase, basil leaf and pine nuts. Also extra garlic).

For breakfast I love locs(cold smoked salmon) with mascurpone cheese. This is especially go on an everything bagel, with tomatos, avacado, capers and sometimes lettuce (esspecially a dark or bitter lettuce or a dark green like spinach)

You sound like a chef!

I like pickles dipped in ranch and when i was younger i ate frozen corn out of the bag......im obsessed with pumpkin everything.....but everyone always freaks out over the pickles and ranch bit the most.

I'm a huntress so eating meat from animals other than cows is kind of normal and insanely delicious!! Also insanely rewarding when you take the animal down yourself.

I love putting ketchup in my mac and cheese. MM

I also love escargot ever since I had it for the first time in Versailles!

Unfortunately, my tummy is not very adventurous. I have eaten a few not regular for mainstream USA plates foods, but I didn't know what I was eating. Tell me and I easily lose the food previously swallowed.

I can't stand Okra and I am not fond of grits. Chocolate covered bugs are fine as long as you have no clue as to what you are eating.

Whoever professed a fondness for pickles and ranch dressing, were the pickles dill? If so kosher or not. Ranch on any kind of dill pickle is scrumptious. Down south they tend to fry enerything, dill pickles included. Not bad at all actually.

Deer, duck, and squirrell help many a poorer country person put meat on the table. Not really fond of any of them, but maybe they just were cooked correctly for my palate as I didn't know what I was eaten. Deer saurbrauten is normal around here.

Calimari is delicious if young, tender and not overcooked.

Have not eaten a pet food I cared for such as dog or cat kibble or canned food. Blech.

Caviar and fois gras(? gooseliver) or pate I find unappetizing. Looks and tastes bad to me. Agatha Christie and British novels sandwich pastes, I, too, tried. Not fond of any of them. Fish paste, ham paste, and I believe it was beef tongue paste. Blech! Chestnuts also are a no go for me.

I am a definite peanut butter combo fan. My sister eats PB and onion sandwhiches along with my PB and Bacon, or banana, or chips, or dill pickles or chocolate or lettuce. Hubby loved PB with honey.

Back to the original question, I am not sure I really have eaten or eat anything weird

So in Canada they just brought back Ketchup Doritos, and with all the 'ew' reactions and strange looks I've gotten, it made me think about the weird combinations that people like!

I know some people think that Canadians' love for poutine and ketchup on our macaroni and cheese is strange - does your country have a weird food that others don't understand? Is there something that you love to eat that grosses other people out or just seems strange?

(Hope this isn't a duplicate, I searched but didn't see anything!)

Wow. o.o Personally, ketchup - not its biggest fan, here. xd.png Unless on very dry foods - Like mayo, I use ketchup primarily for the moisture.

But it's interesting how they release only certain foods in certain places because they know it will sell best there. :3 I've seen some pretty weird chip flavors, like pickle flavor and so forth.

As for strange foods.. well, America, as far as my study goes, is largely comprised of many other countries' types of foods, so it's a little difficult for me to figure out a food that would make people on here like "ew!" x3 I mean, my campus has Greek, Chinese, Japanese AND Mexican restaurants very close by. As far as I know, America is really just kind of all over the place when it comes to a menu.

But, personal, self-made foods that I've eaten are easier for me to get into. :3

For instance, I sometimes make what I call "complete-breakfast pancakes." That is, I scramble some eggs, cook and chop up some breakfast sausage, and then put that into the batter of a blueberry pancake, which I think proceed to cook. A lot of people ask why the heck I do that, lmao! It's just.. convenient. Like a breakfast bowl but edible.

We also have gumbo and boudin ( blood sausage in French ) here, but a lot of the traditional food here is from France, of course.

Edited by Momo

I've seen some pretty weird chip flavors, like pickle flavor and so forth.

DILL PICKLE CHIPS!!

They are fantastic, trust me. Just the smell of them makes my mouth water.

o_O

Hmmm, you're right, the pancake-egg-sausage mixture sounds weird and yet I can totally see how it'd be a good combo. You'd just have to not let appearances get in the way I think, haha.