Zeekaice

Meat

I think there's nothing wrong with eating meat,but they waste resources and is a factor of global warming.....

(I'm not a hunter, but I think that a lot of it is "ambush" - hiding in place and waiting for something to come by. I disagree with stuff like fox hunts :| Ambush is preferred. Traps aren't very nice either...

But overall hunting now is better. Guns are better than arrows at taking down an animal with minimum of struggle and pain.)

I had to take a hunting/gun class a while back for falconry permitting. (Why? Good question. lol)

Arrows can be just as effective as a gun, as long as you know what you are doing.

Personally, I'd have to vote hunted meat is generally MORE ethical than farmed meat. Just because it doesn't involve the horrible conditions for the animal's entire life that many farms seem to have.

Also, I can't think of any hunting that involves actually chasing down a scared animal. (Other than some weird stuff that usually has nothing to do with eating it)

I like meat... I basically eat meat every day!!

I also love animals but too eat meat is in a way part of life but everyone has a choice on if they want to eat it or not!!

I use to go to game reserves a lot and there we hunted some of the wild!! The wild game is beautiful but still we need food too give our families to eat!! But we didnt just go shoot around at everything! That would be stupid!! I think thats why I dont have a problem with eating meat

There are three rules when it comes to eating meat. First off, you did not see or hear the animal getting killed. Secondly, you did not order the animal to be killed. Thirdly, the animal was not killed for one or a small minority of people. If these three are accomplished, there is no bad karma when the meat is eaten.

~The Buddha.

I have no qualms.

There are three rules when it comes to eating meat. First off, you did not see or hear the animal getting killed. Secondly, you did not order the animal to be killed. Thirdly, the animal was not killed for one or a small minority of people. If these three are accomplished, there is no bad karma when the meat is eaten.

~The Buddha.

I have no qualms.

Oh yeah, what you can't see won't hurt you.

Turn a blind eye.

Ignorance is bliss.

Terribly "rules".

Oh yeah, what you can't see won't hurt you.

Turn a blind eye.

Ignorance is bliss.

Terribly "rules".

To quote a great Zits comic:

"Romance is like sausages- it's best not knowing how they're made."

I like eating meat, and I try not to think about it entirely, making-wise.

That way, I won't be so disgusted by the process that I'll become a vegetarian.

I don't want to, anyway- although I do like animals.

Edited by Kandycat

Brain sandwich, lol.

My mother tried a cow's brain once. She said it tasted disgusting. I asked her if it wasn't sweet, because the brain uses up so much sugar and she said it might have been.

Well. I went searching for spongiform encephalopathy and found something completely different. Since this is a thread about devouring animals and the discussion has veered toward brains, I feel like this is appropriate. WARNING: It contains pictures and descriptions of a brain sandwich. Likely not for the weak-stomached.

Yes, brain sandwich.

Brain sandwich FTL. The author of the article did a very good job of painting a most unappetizing portrait of the meal as well. The only time I'll eat brains is when I turn into a zombie. Same goes for eating people.

Organ meat, well, I've honestly never tried it in organ form. I love goose liver pâté, but that's kind of different than a slab of beef liver. Here in the Southeast U.S. lots of people eat chitlins, which are pig intestines. Sounds gross huh? They're actually kind of good.

It just goes to show that a lot of what makes gross food gross is your perception of the food. With plain old hamburger, if you imagine some big-eyed cow mooing at you pitifully, it's gonna be hard to eat. I'm just glad that I don't have to kill and butcher my own animals. I might re-think being omnivorous if that was the case.

Thankfully, meat comes to me in sterile little plastic packages so I just cook it and nom it, and don't think about where it came from.

I don't eat fish, but that's just because I hate the texture of the meat. XP

I hate the taste of liver, both as liver or pate. However, I have no problem eating chicken hearts and sausages prepared in the small intestine, haven't tried any other organ foods. For me it's all about the taste, smell and texture of the food, not what it's made of.

Edited by lightbird

I love all sorts of organ meats... calf liver, pate, chicken gizzards and liver and heart, tripe...

I won't eat organ meat. I especially will never eat chicken livers after my experience of finding rotten chicken livers sitting out on a hot summer day. I can never see the things without recalling the horrible stench they produced.

Err... brain sandwich? My first thought was omg its a tastey country fried steak sandwich til i read the description blink.gif. I wouldnt eat it because id worry about the hole mad cow thing.

On the other hand i enjoy liver and gizzards from chickens/cows/goats and sheep.

I dont think id consider eating any other organs like the heart/brain/tongue etc.

I still sometimes cringe at the thought of eating liver but if its prepared the right way my taste buds dont think twice.

I dont think id consider eating any other organs like the heart/brain/tongue etc.

Oh, how could I forget having eaten the tongue. Mostly did that during childhood. The tongue is quite yummy meat, even if the psychological associations might be weird. c:

You all know the Neglected dragon saying in some signatures? "We do what we must because we can". As a vegetarian, I don't eat meat for moral reasons. I'm an animal lover, and decided it was really hypocritical of me to claim something like that and be eating KFC. dry.gif And so, "I quit meat because I can". tongue.gif

I won't stress my views on others, though. As has been pointed out, we are equiped to be omnivores by evolution. I would like to point out this: Do you love bacon? Pork? Other pig products? Guess what - we taste like bacon. Food for thought (pun intended). Does this also mean we're evolutionarily inclined to eat each other? Our ancestors were cannibals as far as I know, so it's actually funny how human meat is so taboo now - yet the taste for our own remains.

...Actually, that's another huge reason I went veggie. Once I was old enough to really know and comprehend it. Meat is flesh. Flesh is from living things. I'm a living thing. From there, it was "What if I was on the plate?" and "My God what have I done?!". I quit cold turkey. And all the other meats (sorry, that was too easy, I had to). Never regretted it.

To all that I just gave nightmares to: I apologize. xd.png

I also apologize if this is repeated info. I didn't go through all the pages to check.

EDIT: Ooh, right! Another fun fact! For those who don't know, the liver is the organ that filters your bodily waste! *brick'd* Now do the brain and tongue sound a bit yummier in comparison? *brick'd and shot*

I really should shut up now. xd.png

Edited by AlternateMew

EDIT: Ooh, right! Another fun fact! For those who don't know, the liver is the organ that filters your bodily waste! *brick'd* Now do the brain and tongue sound a bit yummier in comparison? *brick'd and shot*

I really should shut up now. xd.png

I've heard that the liver is also a vitamin source, so that it's supposedly not that bad. :V

Plus I think that heating it could break down some of those toxins, mm? /goes to google

Yeah, it's nutritionally good for you. wink.gif It's just funny to tell people that the liver filters our crap and see the looks of "Ewww, gross!" That, or I'm really just that cruel. Which is possible. xd.png It's also funny to tell people in detail how eggs and milk are made. And the exact, excruciatingly detailed descriptions of factory farmed livestock.

Seriously though on the eggs and milk. I still have them, since I've accepted that food origins are gross. It's still funny.

Yep. I must be twisted. *laughs*

Edit for spelling and grammar.

ALSO edit: Try this one, when you see someone drinking milk, comment on the fact that they still have baby food. After they react, explain that milk is natures baby food and other mammals are weaned from it once they stop being a baby. Again, yes, it's packed with nutrients. It HAS to be, it's meant to be a baby's whole diet! (this could backfire if you drink it as well, but at least you could say that you know what it is, and aren't ashamed of having said baby food)

Edited by AlternateMew

I became a veggie several years ago, at first I was a carnivore, just trusting that the meat I got was from a good place. Then I started to be more picky about where I got the meat, and then came all those stories about inhumane killings in highly respected 'organic, free range' animal farms.

I just quit eating meat after that.

It's just that we can survive without meat. And I don't really want to support those who kill animals for money.

That's just my personal opinion. =/

I became a veggie several years ago, at first I was a carnivore, just trusting that the meat I got was from a good place. Then I started to be more picky about where I got the meat, and then came all those stories about inhumane killings in highly respected 'organic, free range' animal farms.

I just quit eating meat after that.

It's just that we can survive without meat. And I don't really want to support those who kill animals for money.

That's just my personal opinion. =/

You're a veggie? What is it?

-Mind. Blown.-

"Well, it's a nutritious, healthy food that's good for you, and helps your diet. But that's not important right now."

Sorry, guys who say that if they were a zombie then they would eat brains.

But a zombie wouldn't just eat brains.Once they captured a human, they would eat all the flesh and the organs on its prey, possibly the brain later, like a vulture would eat carrion.

She or he would eat the whole human, basically, until there's only bones left in a pile with a few stray scraps of skin (depending).

This goes for animals, too.

Well... I do like meat, but unless I become a zombie, I'm never going to nom on a human. Seriously.

The organs, bile, muscle, and blood in real life would probably make me sick if I got a close look at them (unless I ever become a doctor). And that's coming from a catgirl who watches Happy Tree Friends on a daily basis.

^lol. But if it isn't a zombie eating such meat and it's a regular human instead, then they must be a humanitarian! laugh.gif

...blame TV Tropes...

I eat meat. I think meat is an important part of an ideal diet. Yes, it's possible to have a relatively healthy diet without meat, but the healthiest diet will be a primarily plant-based diet but will incorporate servings of meat as well. Meat provides a complete, easily digestible source of protein, it provides the vitamin B12, it provides iron (as well as MFP factors that make the iron in other foods more digestible), and it is also a good source of zinc. Show me the healthiest possible vegan diet and I can come up with a diet that is very similar, but healthier, because it incorporates a little bit of meat.

That said, I think the average person eats way too much meat, and I think the average person makes poor choices in terms of which meats they eat and how often. The average person only needs an average of 6 ounces of meat a day (some days you could eat more meat than that, and on some days you could eat less or none at all), and ideally on most days you should choose poultry or fish, rather than beef or pork. Poultry and fish are much lower in saturated fats. Which doesn't mean that you shouldn't eat beef or pork period--you just shouldn't have it that often.

Oh, and beef and calf liver are very healthy foods in moderation.

I think a good strategy for a healthy diet with meat is to avoid always making meat the "centerpiece" of your meal. When you do that, it's easy to end up eating more meat than you need. What some cultures do is use meat as a flavoring for other foods. It's a smaller, yet flavorful, component of the meal rather than the main attraction. An example of this would be Asian meals which consist mostly of vegetables but have little slivers of meat in them for flavor.

^ Well said! blink.gif *applauds*

Good to see a non-vegetarian who knows that. IMO, the reason vegetarians are healthier in general is because they chose to change their diet, met concerns with loved ones, then did the research. There are a lot of people today who seem to think that meat is the most important part of the diet. And that vegetables taste bad. Then they forget about fruit, and don't mention the all-important starch.

Tl;dr: Learn serving size and Daily Recomended Intakes, follow them, and you're good to eat whatever you want.

Edited by AlternateMew

Uh, can you say cannibal?

Lol, that's what you call a human who consumes other humans. Or at least partly, anyway.

:|

Edited by Kandycat

I'm all for eating meat, as over-population may occur and why not stop it and nourish ourselves, but I agree with Nimrodel.

I learned this argument type today:

Tigers eat meat. Tigers are animals. Humans also are animals. So humans can eat meat.

Meat has protein. And it has a good taste. So I eat it very happy.

And no, I do not think about the animal that was killed, mainly because they were bound to.

Um, there ARE animals that don't eat meat ^^; Argument is flawed. If you were to add something about us being omnivorous, however...