Zeekaice

Meat

Oh yeah, what you can't see won't hurt you.

Turn a blind eye.

Ignorance is bliss.

Terribly "rules".

I'm trying as hard as I can not to turn you into confetti. Try ordering a crab in Singapore and watch as the crab is taken apart alive and boiled, legs still wriggling. In your face. This isn't an 'ignorance is bliss' problem, this is a 'I'm putting down your religion because I don't give a damn' problem now.

I'm trying as hard as I can not to turn you into confetti. Try ordering a crab in Singapore and watch as the crab is taken apart alive and boiled, legs still wriggling. In your face. This isn't an 'ignorance is bliss' problem, this is a 'I'm putting down your religion because I don't give a damn' problem now.

If you haven't noticed, that's kinda Kai's shtick.

Meh, I've helped cook live lobster, I'm honestly not squeamish about that sorta thing.

I'm not being squeamish(seriously? dry.gif ), I'm just aginst live cooking as a whole. Rhea, I'm sure all of us have seen live cooking once in a while so this desensitises us. I'm not a vegan, or a vegetarian but if he's going to do more of this, I'm ready to get warned just to get even.

Edited by dracoon

Kai: I know they're from the same family tree...BUT they are from different branches of that tree. Just as we share a common ancestor to primates, yet we're not those primates.

Squirrels aren't rats, and rats aren't squirrels. Both are within the rodent family, but both are their own seperate species. wink.gif

dracoon: Actually, that's how all shellfish are done, even in the canning industry. If you're preparing 'dead' shellfish, you're basically eating the sea/ocean's version of roadkill.

As soon as it dies, the meat starts breaking down (rotting). So it's always preferable to get your shellfish as fresh as possible, and live is the preferred method to obtain it before you cook it.

Now, if you're wanting it dead before it goes in the pot, then you still have to kill it somehow...You will still have to choose some form of violence to kill your seafood before it gets to the cooking process...

So you have beating it (and with shellfish, it takes several good strikes), suffocating it, or freezing it...Which all of those choices are long, drawn out 'torture' techniques...At least with the live cooking method, the 'torture' is but a couple of your heartbeats. The other methods to have your seafood, are prolonged torture and take minutes to hours for the crab/lobster/shrimp to die.

Pretty much, your dislike of the boil/live cooking method is more advocating prolonged torture by use of the other techniques...You're causing more harm then good in how you end thier lives if the other methods are used.

Imagine yourself being beaten till you die, being frozen alive, or sufficated/drowned...That's the method you're advocating for shellfish when the kinder and less cruel method is the live cooking. rolleyes.gif

By the way, that's the exact reason the meat from live-cooked shellfish is sweeter and more tender. Because the violence is so minimal, chemicals aren't released into the system that causes the meat to lose it's sweeteness and texture. The more violent/prolonged the death, the less sweet and tougher the meat.

Live cooking is the 'Buddhist' way, and the meat keeps it's 'karmic integrity'.

Not to mention, you're over-reacting there a bit in regards to Kai. You might want to step back there a bit, take several deep breaths, and not take it so seriously. Kai wasn't attacking your religion, but was addressing the quote you provided.

And considering Buddha was a religious philosopher, even Buddha would recognize the value in Kai's words...Because the heart of that message is indeed, what you don't know, will do you no karmic harm. It is unfortunately, advocating turning a blind eye to the violence that eating meat requires.

Hence the reason Buddha also advocated vegetarian eating and the use of chopsticks...Because there was less violence in eating of plants, as well as the act of using a knife or fork was an act of violence against the dead flesh of animals, vegetables, fruits, and other once living organisms...

Trust me, if Kai was attacking your religion, he would have responded in a much different way. His response there wasn't an attack on religion, but a remark towards a quote that was filled with fallicies and even the author of it would recognize as a valid fallicy to point out...

Now, I suggest you go take those deep breaths, think upon the philisophical fallicies mentioned, and save your energy for religious debate with Kai in the religion thread. cool.gif

Edited by AlicornsPrayer

Mmm... oysters.

Fer the insects thing, they aren't even in the same order. Crustacea's a different Class than Hexapoda.

I'm not sure if there's a single meat I don't like. Humans are omnivorous, and while the modern age allows us to choose whether or not we want to eat meat, I'll be sticking to evolution. I have a voracious appetite, and I can't imagine giving up meat products.

Yes, I eat lamb and veal, and I thoroughly enjoy them. I try not to eat the latter too often, however. Yes, PETA annoys the censorkip.gif out of me. By the same token, I vigorously support animal rights. I rescue animals from shelters all the time.

I'm not sure if there's a single meat I don't like. Humans are omnivorous, and while the modern age allows us to choose whether or not we want to eat meat, I'll be sticking to evolution. I have a voracious appetite, and I can't imagine giving up meat products.

Yes, I eat lamb and veal, and I thoroughly enjoy them. I try not to eat the latter too often, however. Yes, PETA annoys the censorkip.gif out of me. By the same token, I vigorously support animal rights. I rescue animals from shelters all the time.

I belong to the OTHER PETA...People Eating Tasty Animals. xd.png

I'm all for animal activism...But even then there's their fair share of fanatics. And PETA is the ringleader in my opinion.

One of these days, we're going to win the lottery so I can travel the world and try all the local cusines...Including the different recipes for meats that are unavailable here in the states cause of cultural taboos. I'll try anything once. xd.png

You should just head to a Chinatown, good stuff there.

Not meat, but there are a few "delicacies" I wouldn't try... maggoty cheese. Or, now that I recall... there's this thing where you put birds into a dead seal, bury the whole thing, let it ferment, then dig it up and drink the liquified bird intestines.

Yeah no thanks.

You should just head to a Chinatown, good stuff there.

Not meat, but there are a few "delicacies" I wouldn't try... maggoty cheese. Or, now that I recall... there's this thing where you put birds into a dead seal, bury the whole thing, let it ferment, then dig it up and drink the liquified bird intestines.

Yeah no thanks.

Unfortunately, no Chinatowns in our area.

A few authentic restraunts, but most are that Americanized stuff they call 'Chinese/Asian food'. Even most of the restraunts' crab ragoons are more dessert items then appetizer quality. Loaded with sugar and minimal 'fake crabmeat'. xd.png

I've heard of that delicacy...I'd like to try it, BUT I'd rather find out what it is AFTER I've tried it. laugh.gif

Oh, phooey. Yeah, no Chinatowns near where I moved to either >U I want my duck feet, dammit.

Which "delicacy" are you talking about? I'd be more willing to eat the birds, really, since the maggots can, er, pass through the intestines intact and alive, and can cause some damage.

I love eating meat I can't help it once you have been eating it for as long as me it is very difficult to give it up rolleyes.gif

Oh, phooey. Yeah, no Chinatowns near where I moved to either >U I want my duck feet, dammit.

Which "delicacy" are you talking about? I'd be more willing to eat the birds, really, since the maggots can, er, pass through the intestines intact and alive, and can cause some damage.

The bird one, although I'd try the cheese too just out of curiosity.

It's only in the Western countries that cheese isn't taboo. Most other countries consider it taboo because it's 'rotted milk'...Which is interesting considering those very same countries have dishes made of 'rotted' food items and aren't taboo? xd.png

To be honest, I'd also wouldn't mind trying human meat dishes...Although I draw the line at the organs, due to the diseases that can be genetically introduced into your system by eating the brain, heart, or liver. I'll just stick with the animal organ meats, thank you very much. laugh.gif

Can't you get parasites from animal offal as well? I mean look at mad cow disease... sad.gif

I love eating meat I can't help it once you have been eating it for as long as me it is very difficult to give it up rolleyes.gif

My love of meat isn't cause I've always eaten it. I simply love the flavors and textures in my meals.

I do advocate though, moderation in how much you eat of any particular meat type. Also advocate moderation in regards to ALL food types, including plants...As the saying goes, too much of a good thing isn't always good.

So balancing one's diet is a must. An occassional slurge/craving is ok, but try to balance out the rest of your diet to accomidate those occassional splurges. cool.gif

I do mostly but desserts is stressed spelt backwards and I have been under a lot of stress lately laugh.gif

Can't you get parasites from animal offal as well? I mean look at mad cow disease... sad.gif

Mad cow disease was found mainly in meat consumption. Humans contacted it through mainly eating the meat itself. Although it was also present in the steak and roast cuts, but due to consumner cost, most reported that they'd contacted the disease, were from eating ground meat.

If you're eating intestines, then yes...If mad cow disease is present in the animal, you can contact it from that food source as well.

Mad cow doesn't just attack one part of the animal...It goes through the whole animal's system, hence the reason the animal is put down. And in the case of the last outbreak, whole herds were put down. Even the blood itself is contaminated, so anywhere there's blood in the meat source, the possibility of mad cow disease if the disease is present in the animal, can be passed along to humans in any form.

In the case of the last outbreak, the cows were fed bone-meal from other cows, that had the mad cow disease.

Also, if the intestines aren't properly cleaned before use and parasites are present...You can contract parasites as well. But you can also contact parasites through improperly cleaned fruits and veggies, handling food without proper sanitary techniques, and a host of other causes...

Parasites are in all food sources. So contacting parasites is very easy, no matter what you're eating. Especially if in the restraunt industry, in restraunts where the staff doesn't practice proper food maintainance or sanitary safty. Even then, parasites are less harmful then the other diseases you can catch from unsanitary food preperation...

Pink eye, salmonella, hepetitus, and polio just to name a few...And those are much more common then parasites or mad cow disease, and possible to catch even on a vegetarian diet.

Edited by AlicornsPrayer

Oh, another side note, squid ink pasta is becoming more popular, and sounds like something I'd like to try, at least once.

I've tried it once and liked it.

As a side note, has dog meat been discussed here?

I mean, dogs-the pet that wags their tail and looks cute. Many stores in China run(and legalise) the sale of dog meat, in pastries or on the dinner table. Yes, it's being clamped down but it happens.

So, anyone tried it before?

As a side note, has dog meat been discussed here?

I mean, dogs-the pet that wags their tail and looks cute. Many stores in China run(and legalise) the sale of dog meat, in pastries or on the dinner table. Yes, it's being clamped down but it happens.

So, anyone tried it before?

In all honesty, I have probably eaten dog. I can't be sure but I lived in Taiwan for a full year as an exchange student. When I asked what things were, the answers weren't always in English. Or a form I could translate to English. I knew the words for dog and cat and was told repeatedly that it was not very common for pet animals to be eaten in Taiwan, but I'd say about half of the time when I asked what something was I got an answer something along the lines of "Eat it, you'll like it" or "Its fish." "Well, what kind of fish?" "Its fish." "Okay, whatever." *eats it anyway* My host family thought it was really funny the first time they had me eat Pigs Blood Soup. They giggled the whole time, then told me what I was eating, even after I begged them not to. Ignorance truly is bliss sometimes.

I have no problem with the idea of eating meat. A lot of people think that I should though. I am a huge animal lover. I am also a Wiccan. The first tenant of my faith is "Harm None" but they leave that very open to interpretation. If I could afford to eat only local, free range organic produce I would. But I can't. And I can't afford to give up meat entirely. I have a scary fast metabolism. Without an extremely protein heavy diet, I lose weight quickly and get horrible migraines. I don't get what I need out of tofu or beans. I need meat. Even chicken isn't always enough. There are things I won't eat though. I won't eat veal. I think it is unnecessarily cruel to the animal. And I can't eat lobster anymore either. Nothing should have to be boiled alive so that I can have a treat. I can't take that reasoning too far though, because over thinking it will wind up with me cutting all meat out of my diet and becoming a vegan. Then I will die because of my metabolism. Everything gets harmed somewhere in the process. Even a carrot was living once. I just have to try and do enough good to balance out the karma I'm getting from causing harm to living things so I can eat.

I wouldn't have a problem eating dog. I'll eat pretty much anything (adjusting for worries about parasites, etc.)

As long as I knew this dog died from old age I'd be fine with it.

Ew, stringy old-animal meat. Go for something young, like a puppy.