Zeekaice

Meat

You guys are so lucky you have variety where you are. I'd love to try raindeer. And quail tastes like itsy bitsy chickens, not worth the price that the upscale restaurants want for it. Just finished up a nice dinner of roast lamb though. I have had friends telling me I shouldn't eat lamb because it is little and cute and would "baaa" at me in a cute way if it were still alive. I'm Greek though. Lamb is a staple of my diet and always has been. Why do people have to lecture me about what I'm eating when I didn't fix it for them? I fixed it for me. It wasn't like I was eating baby. Not offensive as far as I could see.

I agree with you on the quail (cornish game hen as well) tasting like chicken. Not worth it buying one cooked, but definitely worth buying one frozen in the store to cook.

As for the lamb thing, I may not be greek but lamb is something I would like to include more of in my diet. Yes, it may be cute when it is alive, but I'll eat it anyway, especially because most of the lamb available here is free-range and tastes much better than the lot fed stuff.

Has anyone ever tried fugu? I really want to try that someday. I heard it numbs your mouth after the first few bites.

Has anyone ever tried fugu? I really want to try that someday. I heard it numbs your mouth after the first few bites.

I also hear you have to be REALLY super careful about how it is prepared because if you aren't it can be deadly toxic.

Er, yeah, I don't think you're supposed to feel weird after eating it. If it's properly prepared, at least.

I'm never going to risk fugu. Dammit, it's just sushi.

Er, yeah, I don't think you're supposed to feel weird after eating it. If it's properly prepared, at least.

I've heard that sometimes they leave just a tiny bit of the poison on your knife or the meat for the freak-out factor of it. :B

I also hear you have to be REALLY super careful about how it is prepared because if you aren't it can be deadly toxic.

Yup. But if it's prepared properly it's perfectly harmless. That's why I'd find out if the person making it has been trained to do so before eating it.

I classify fugu under "why bother" the fish might be edible is done right, but what's the point? there's only a tiny amount of meat. It's not even all that good.

Ostrich was nice. Like a very blood-rich beef, almost like liver/kidney but not as vile.

The store was out of springbok :~( will try again later in the week.

Ostrich is Delish! Somewhere near where I used to lived would sell drumsticks in the grocery store. YUM!!! When baked with a few veggies, and water(to keep it from drying out), it not only tastes great, but is almost tender enough to fall off the bone.

Dangit.... now I wish I had some. sad.gif

Ostrich drumsticks? Wouldn't they be huge?

You say that like it's a bad thing D:

I'm just wondering how they fit the damn thing in the oven.

*Seens Kangaroowings lurking*

o.o Talk about odd. Kangaroo limbs, anyone?

I dunno about that, but ostrich meat is supposedly very lean and healthy and almost all parts of an ostrich can be used to make something, and the birds themselves - easy to farm. There are a few ostrich keepers in Latvia and they say that the ostriches don't mind the winter weather we have (-5, -10 Celsius is quite common), although their feet tend to get cold. :D

The store was out of springbok :~( will try again later in the week.

Your reference to springbok made me think of Percy Montgomery. Man, I could totally feast on that particular springbok wink.giftongue.gif

*plucks mind off the gutter*

Back on subject..

About that comment a couple of pages back about Buddhism and eating meat being conflicting, there was a rather extensive debate about this in Sri Lanka (a country with majority of Theravada Buddhists) early last year. And a very prominent Buddhist monk (who himself is a vegan from what I understand) put paid to the debate finally by pointing out from the Thripitaka that Lord Buddha apparently never preached that by eating any/all meat you are committing a sin (I think it's a suthra in the Angutthara Nikaya. Not 100% sure though. Maybe some of our Buddhist members could clarify). Apparently what he taught is that:

1) If you kill the animal, you commit a bad karma.

2) If you know that the animal that you are eating was killed specifically for *you* to eat, then you are committing a bad karma by eating the meat.

3) But if the meat is something bought off a market, and you know for sure that that animal was not killed specifically because *you* were going to buy the meat and eat, then you don't commit a bad karma by eating that meat.

Just to make sure you understand, this is not something I was taught while I was in school learning Buddhism, because our studies didn't touch on that part of the Pitakas, but this is a claim made by one of the head Buddhist monks of Sri Lanka with proof/citation of the relevant part of the teachings.

Edited by lanette

Your reference to springbok made me think of Percy Montgomery. Man, I could totally feast on that particular springbok wink.giftongue.gif

*plucks mind off the gutter*

Back on subject..

About that comment a couple of pages back about Buddhism and eating meat being conflicting, there was a rather extensive debate about this in Sri Lanka (a country with majority of Theravada Buddhists) early last year. And a very prominent Buddhist monk (who himself is a vegan from what I understand) put paid to the debate finally by pointing out from the Thripitaka that Lord Buddha apparently never preached that by eating any/all meat you are committing a sin (I think it's a suthra in the Angutthara Nikaya. Not 100% sure though. Maybe some of our Buddhist members could clarify). Apparently what he taught is that:

1) If you kill the animal, you commit a bad karma.

2) If you know that the animal that you are eating was killed specifically for *you* to eat, then you are committing a bad karma by eating the meat.

3) But if the meat is something bought off a market, and you know for sure that that animal was not killed specifically because *you* were going to buy the meat and eat, then you don't commit a bad karma by eating that meat.

Just to make sure you understand, this is not something I was taught while I was in school learning Buddhism, because our studies didn't touch on that part of the Pitakas, but this is a claim made by one of the head Buddhist monks of Sri Lanka with proof/citation of the relevant part of the teachings.

And even with the karma issue, I think it is about what you can live with yourself after. I'm a wiccan. Since the religion is fairly free form, I'm able to decide what I can handle on my conscience and what I can't. I try to do good works to balance out the bad karma I get from eating meat. I know it doesn't work exactly like that, but it helps me feel better. I foster animals where I can. I will bottle feed orphans again as soon as I can work it into my schedule. And I eat meat regularly. In my head, it balances the books. I also believe that every part of the animal that can be should be used. I wear leather because I eat beef. I would never wear fur of any kind. Wool is okay too, because the animal isn't hurt by taking the wool off and I eat lamb.

Some religions teach morals as very set in stone. I like that mine teaches the ideas of right and wrong and lets you interpret them as you like.

The size of a chicken. Not that big. Yearling ostriches only weigh about 100 Lbs.(45 Kg)

Emu has about the same flavor but is not as large.

I believe in eating meat in moderation due to the treatement the animals recieve prior to slaughtering. Or, do it the farm way when you can. My family has a farm and we raise cows for food. We've kept two females for quite a long time now simply because we breed them (vet+turkey baster kind of breeding...not literaly a baster but you get the idea) and if we did slaughter them then the meat wouldn't be worth it. At least the animals don't have to stand knee high in their own feces and get pumped with fattening chemicals. They eat the grass and hay we feed them.

If you want to eat meat from animals that have had the best life possible, go to your local fair and buy one of the animals raised by the 4-H kids.

1) They are never fed anything they are not allowed to be fed.

2) They are cared for and fussed over almost religiously.

3) The children know their animal will be slaughtered in the end and grow up with a practical outlook on life and death.

4) The money goes to an organization that helps kids.

5) You know your meat is disease-free.

I have a friend who's a vegan, and I love that girl to death, but her militant stance against meat can really get on my nerves. x(

I had another friend visit her, and she wouldn't let him eat meat at all while he was there. Wouldn't let him cook it, order it at a restaurant, or even taste a bit. Purposefully took him to vegan restaurants so he couldn't order meat.

Her statuses are pretty much always full of this anti-meat stuff, and genuinely, I feel persecuted for being a meat eater around her. :\

Sometimes I really wonder what I should do about it.

I have a friend who's a vegan, and I love that girl to death, but her militant stance against meat can really get on my nerves. x(

I had another friend visit her, and she wouldn't let him eat meat at all while he was there. Wouldn't let him cook it, order it at a restaurant, or even taste a bit. Purposefully took him to vegan restaurants so he couldn't order meat.

Her statuses are pretty much always full of this anti-meat stuff, and genuinely, I feel persecuted for being a meat eater around her. :\

Erf, poor boyfriend, and poor you.

This may not help, but it's worth a shot (worked for me a couple times). Tell her that you are converting to be a second degree vegan. You will eat the things that eat only vegetables. ^^

Now I have an odd question that popped into my head last night. Can anyone tell me if vegans can swallow after giving a male a blow job? It is an "animal derived substance" that didn't hurt who it came from.

Give her bacon.

I've known more than one vegetarian turn meat-eater again due to the wondrous powers of bacon.

I never understood what's so great about bacon.

S... Seriously, what is it?

Oh you poor un-enlightened fool.