Zeekaice

Meat

It's weird how you realize your limits sometimes.

I bought a terracotta baking dish at the supermarket one day. Nice rectangular shape, not too big, on special.

When I got it home I noticed a small cookbook taped to the underside of the lid.

Checked it out and liked some of the recipes they described. And then?

There was a recipe that required the cheek of a horse.

A horse cheek.

ohmy.gif

I have never used that baking dish.

Ever!

I'd eat horse if it were offered, and if it were a matter of life and death--say lost in the Amazon--I would eat a fallen comrade if it gave me a shred of a hope of survival.

I actually agree with you. (The OP. I haven't read all the other posts yet.) I figure, if we have the sharp teeth that are needed for eating meat, then maybe we were made to eat meat. If all the other animals in the animal kingdom that are carnivores and omnivores are allowed to eat meat, (While it's still breathing I might add.), what makes it so wrong for us to? As long as the animal isn't tortured, like veal, before it becomes meat, I am fine with it.

it's not what we eat- but how it was produced. take chicken from battery farms for example, i'm sure you don't agree with that?

I'd eat horse if it were offered
well, okay, but what if it just happened to be the one that you saw on the race track the other day? or one of the horse farms where the horse is starved and killed brutally?

i would be horrified if anyone wouldn't care less if they ate silver back gorilla, whale, hammerhead shark etc- rare for many reasons but some DO also eat them as well. sad.gif

we already discussed that point though. go back and look at it.

If all the other animals in the animal kingdom that are carnivores and omnivores are allowed to eat meat, (While it's still breathing I might add.), what makes it so wrong for us to?
if they don't, they starve, but it's not nessasary for humans to eat meat- whereas you can't live entierly of meat, you can on vegetables, nuts and fruit- doesn't this show that we are more adapted to eating vegetables than meat? a lion can't live off vegetables- and even then they only kill there pray once every 4 days or so; and then share it with the rest their pride, probably eating less meat altogether than some people do. and then you've got to remember that the zebra or other animal it killed had a happy life- and was more likely to have been caught because it is old- rather than the conditions that some animals are kept in before they end up on your plate. wink.gif

connatay: Members of the cat family are specially adapted carnivores, not omnivores, so that's not a valid comparison. Plenty of omnivores can (and do if needs be) eat only vegetables. That doesn't actualy mean it's good for them in the long run, or even terribly adviseable. Even dogs can be fed a vegetarian diet.

Please, again, you are tarring all famrs with the same bad brush. Plenty of meat animals live very good lives before they are killed. And if you take the case of wild meats like deer, rabbit, pheasant etc then they have lived the same kind of life as those zebras you mentioned - wild, free, and knowing nothing before the bullet takes them.

W/ragards the eating of horse, why should it matter if you've seen it alive? Heck, if you knew exactly where it had come from (as in your race track example) then it should be *less* of a problem because you know it hasn't been mistreated!

Sithdragon: I'm afraid I can't believe you are refusing to use a brand new cooking utensil because of a single recipie in a book that came with it. That's just ridiculous.

Sithdragon: I'm afraid I can't believe you are refusing to use a brand new cooking utensil because of a single recipie in a book that came with it. That's just ridiculous.

This so much.

And hey, horses spend quite a large part of their lives chewing, so they must have muscly, meaty cheeks. Why not use them in a recipe?

Edited by lightbird

Please, again, you are tarring all famrs with the same bad brush. Plenty of meat animals live very good lives before they are killed. And if you take the case of wild meats like deer, rabbit, pheasant etc then they have lived the same kind of life as those zebras you mentioned - wild, free, and knowing nothing before the bullet takes them.

This. I love wild game, not just for the taste but because you know exactly where it came from and a general idea of how it lived. You can't be fooled by marketing terms if you kill the animal yourself.

On the issue of human meat, probably not. I do not know if it is true, but I had heard that human meat contains something that is harmful if eaten. Again, this is hearsay, but it would keep me from eating it unless the situation was truly dire.

Edited by Nectaris

I'm curious if all those saying "yes" would eat human if offered or required for the situation. It's meat, too =)

No. The very thought of it makes me nauseous. The thought that so many people would be willing to try human meat makes me nauseous. The idea that people make things flavored like human make me nauseous.

And now I'm nauseous. >:| And no, I can't explain why it makes me ill. Sorry.

I would avoid race horses. They're too tough and stringy. You gotta marinate the meat to make it tender enough to eat. That or slice it really thin.

Small cute animals? I stomp mice when the situation presents itself..... I'd happily kill, clean, and roast one of the annoyingly fat squirrels that live in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, it's illegal.....

In the case of eating a fallen comrade.... Ask yourself what they died of. That might make them inedible.

Edited by marhawkman

If I'm hungry enough, I'll eat anything I deem edible. Anything.

As for horses, most horses are so full of medication it would be unwise to eat them. There's little to no enforced regulation on this, however.

In general, most commercial meats are so chock full of hormones and additives that they aren't really a good idea to eat. We raise a good amount of our own meat, but we also sell cattle to feedlots that go to feed the rest of you suckers. You don't want to know how much hormones and medications those cattle get. I know, because I feed it to them. Our personal cattle get NONE of it, and we sell clean cattle to other families as well.

Edited to add that even meat from feedlots / farms that SAY they don't use hormones has probably been treated. Legally, they can make that claim if THEY did not give that to the animals. Most feedlots, however, buy their cattle from cow/calf operations like us, who DO feed it (if we don't, they don't want the calves since they don't grow as big/fast). So buyer beware, and believe NOTHING.

Milk is also full of hormones, by the way. Chickens, pork...those too.

The slaughter industry is pretty horrible and inhumane, all around, but there's no sense getting into that.

Meat is unsustainable for the world's population, however. As much as I like it, things will change over the next century. It wouldn't surprise me to see meat being grown in the laboratory instead of on the hoof - it's already possible, just not tasty or cost effective yet.

Edited by Soliae

In the case of eating a fallen comrade.... Ask yourself what they died of. That might make them inedible.

I honestly wouldnt care if they were the healthiest person on earth. I still wouldnt eat a human being O_O...thats just plain weird. Even if my life depended on it i dont think i could live with the fact I consumed human meat to survive. I know that might make me weak in some cases but that is very disturbing to me. Thats like saying i was trapped in the desert with nothing left to eat other than my family members decaying body. Now can you honestly tell me you would do that to your own family member let alone another human? *Shakes head* I know I cant. I just hope by fallen comrade you mean an animal of some sort.

Now on the other hand if my life depended on it im sure i would eat any animal type if I felt it was necessary, but i wouldnt do it for my own pleasure or curiosity.

It's just their body at that point though, not them as the person/mind/personality/soul/etc. what you believe to be the "core" of a person.

It's just their body at that point though, not them as the person/mind/personality/soul/etc. what you believe to be the "core" of a person.

I'd still feel weird about eating flesh of a member of my own species. :|

Well, yeah, I'd probably feel weird too. But I wouldn't be unwilling.

... it's probably inappropriate that I'm hungry now.

I'd still feel weird about eating flesh of a member of my own species. :|

There's a tofu that's flavored to be like the meat of a human. Hufu*. The guy who made it asked all sorts of cannibals what people tasted like and made it.

I'd try it, honestly. :I

....I lol'd at my boyfriend. He doesn't eat meat at all mainly because he thinks of the animals, not any health issues. I asked if he even avoided shrimp and he said something like "But I can imagine the little shrimps frolicking in the ocean!"

.....9w9

*Recently learned it was a spoof. x3 I only read a tiny article about it, like, 5 years ago so gimmie a break here....

Kinda disappointing.

Edited by Vexx

There's a tofu that's flavored to be like the meat of a human. Hufu. The guy who made it asked all sorts of cannibals what people tasted like and made it.

I'd try it, honestly. :I

....I lol'd at my boyfriend. He doesn't eat meat at all mainly because he thinks of the animals, not any health issues. I asked if he even avoided shrimp and he said something like "But I can imagine the little shrimps frolicking in the ocean!"

.....9w9

Errr, yeah id probably be tempted to try it but thats completely different. Theres a fine line between eating imitated/artificial flavoring of something than eating the actual thing. But who in the hell would think of making tofu that tastes like human flesh. He aught to have FREAK stamped on his for head.

Lmao, that painted a visual image in my mind of flocking shrimp laugh.gif

Edited by BlazingAces

On the issue of human meat, probably not.  I do not know if it is true, but I had heard that human meat contains something that is harmful if eaten.  Again, this is hearsay, but it would keep me from eating it unless the situation was truly dire.

You might be thinking of Kuru, which occurs when eating human brain =o A bit like Mad Cow disease.

Apparently human tastes very similar to beef when cooked. I had no idea there were artificially flavored foods that taste like it, though =P I doubt anyone would be willing to put its validity to the test either.

I once lived 3 days as a vegetarian. And cutting different nutrients [or whatever

the correct word is] out of your diet for extended periods of time is unhealthy.

yes, that quite true. but humans have come far beyond the point of eating a small amount of meat once a week from ethical and sustainable sources.

now humans eat way too much meat than is good for them, and as we evolve our teeth get smaller because we do not need them so much, + the point that the big industry animals get geneticly modified and are stuffed with hormones.

its a bit late to relate to relate to how we evolved millions of years ago when the meat we ate then is almost completely different to the meat we eat now.

right, that is definetley going to be my last post for a while wink.gif

For one thing, we used to eat plenty of meat in Western societies. And we used to eat even more. Homo habilis were scavengers, homo erectus were hunters, homo sapiens sapiens (how arrogant, naming ourselves "wise", and twice, at that!) have proven ourselves very, very good at devising new ways to kill things.

Also, "ethical"? Excuse me, what part of hunting down a terrified, fleeing animal is "ethical"? More recently, I hardly doubt medieval slaughter techniques were any more ethical than today's, maybe less so.

(I'm not a hunter, but I think that a lot of it is "ambush" - hiding in place and waiting for something to come by. I disagree with stuff like fox hunts :| Ambush is preferred. Traps aren't very nice either...

But overall hunting now is better. Guns are better than arrows at taking down an animal with minimum of struggle and pain.)

W/ragards the eating of horse, why should it matter if you've seen it alive? Heck, if you knew exactly where it had come from (as in your race track example) then it should be *less* of a problem because you know it hasn't been mistreated!

I feel nauseous when I look at the baking dish.

I loved horses when I was a kidlet so it's a sore point.

So the baking dish sits there brand new in the cupboard. My bro is moving out sometime soon and I expect he'll nick it, and anything else that isn't nailed down and it will be put to use.

I was offered hedgehog when I was backpacking through Europe. They had done some sort of stew with it. I declined.

I'd rather a happy leetle hedgehog scuttling around in the wild. I did a huge research eassay on Kuru and Mad Cow Disease a little while back and feel no desire to walk on the culinary meat "wild side." Those slides of what the human brain looks like after spongiform encephalopathy hits are life changing.

Love your avatar by the way.

wink.gif

Well. I went searching for spongiform encephalopathy and found something completely different. Since this is a thread about devouring animals and the discussion has veered toward brains, I feel like this is appropriate. WARNING: It contains pictures and descriptions of a brain sandwich. Likely not for the weak-stomached.

Yes, brain sandwich.

So, meat-eaters, what are your thoughts on organ meat? Does the idea of eating it bother you? I'm not bothered by it myself, though I can't stand the smell of cow liver (never tasted it because of the smell) and the thought of eating the brain of anything is less than appetizing. :|

Brain sandwich, lulz...I might eat it if I were starving to death, but I'd always wonder if I was a zombie and didn't know it yet |D

I've eaten heart, tongue, and liver *shrug* so organs are fine. I don't really like liver though...it has a funny taste. Like a not-meat-but-finally-ground-nails-taste.